08/15/20 04:23 PM
08/15/20 04:23 PM
North Dakota
6PakBee Offline
I Live Here
6PakBee  Offline
I Live Here

North Dakota
Then I am going to quit harping on the Hall effect sensor. The reason I was so sure was that the absence of any codes means it's something that the ECU doesn't monitor, the classic being fuel pressure as an example.

"We live in a time when intelligent people are being silenced so that stupid people won't be offended".
Re: Anybody familiar with 80's Turbo Dodges? [Re: 6PakBee] #2809490
08/16/20 02:01 PM
08/16/20 02:01 PM
north of coder
moparx Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"
moparx  Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"

north of coder
the OBD 1 system was pretty simple compared to now.
i think it now comes down to checking all the vacuum lines and closely inspecting all electrical connections and wiring for insulation cracks that may have allowed the "green fuzz" to start growing in the wire strands. that stuff has caused me tons of grief over the years because at times it is so hard to detect. if the engine harness is somewhat stiff, it is easier to detect, but you may still have to look real close.
beer

Re: Anybody familiar with 80's Turbo Dodges? [Re: moparx] #2809556
08/16/20 06:43 PM
08/16/20 06:43 PM
Castlegar, BC, Canada
That AMC Guy Offline OP
master
That AMC Guy  Offline OP
master

Castlegar, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by moparx
the OBD 1 system was pretty simple compared to now.
i think it now comes down to checking all the vacuum lines and closely inspecting all electrical connections and wiring for insulation cracks that may have allowed the "green fuzz" to start growing in the wire strands. that stuff has caused me tons of grief over the years because at times it is so hard to detect. if the engine harness is somewhat stiff, it is easier to detect, but you may still have to look real close.
beer

Sadly, I think you may be right. I did already have to spend some time on the Hall-Effect wiring harness as there was some corrosion and even moving the harness could cause the engine to stumble. I should probably check/clean all the connections to all the sensors/solenoids on the fender and probably the power module under the hood and the PCM inside the car. The more I talk to people about this issue, the more it seems like the computer is either not seeing a signal, or the correct signal from something causing it to turn off the fuel.

I'm especially curious to see what my mechanic Sparky says about my timing job. The engine vaccuum is not especially high, (16-17 inches of mercury) but I'm pretty sure I got the timing belt lined up correctly.
He's going to double check my work.

Bloody Mary, Full of Vodka, Blessed art thou among cocktails....

Page 2 of 2 1 2