Virginia's Eastern Shore
D
dmoore Offline
pro stock
dmoore  Offline
pro stock
D

Virginia's Eastern Shore
Wire formed at both ends of both rad hoses. Ford & GM used the Wittek style clamp.

whittek clamp.jpg
Re: A new start for my '77 Cordoba [Re: dmoore] #2773640
05/11/20 07:01 PM
05/11/20 07:01 PM
MICHIGAN
DynoDave Offline OP
master
DynoDave  Offline OP
master

MICHIGAN
Excellent. I'll work on tracking those down as soon as I get my new hoses, and know what sizes I need.

FYI...

Ford
Mustang Depot Link

Oldsmobile
Inline Tube Link

DynoDave
Walter P. Chrysler Club - Great Lakes Region
Member # 12304
1970 Plymouth Duster
1972 Dodge Charger Rallye
https://wichargerguy.proboards.com/
1977 Chrysler Cordoba
Re: A new start for my '77 Cordoba [Re: DynoDave] #2774498
05/14/20 01:06 PM
05/14/20 01:06 PM
Virginia's Eastern Shore
D
dmoore Offline
pro stock
dmoore  Offline
pro stock
D

Virginia's Eastern Shore
Dave are you going the very difficult route of tracking down NOS hoses or just generic?

Re: A new start for my '77 Cordoba [Re: dmoore] #2774533
05/14/20 02:41 PM
05/14/20 02:41 PM
MICHIGAN
DynoDave Offline OP
master
DynoDave  Offline OP
master

MICHIGAN
Just generic, but I'm going to try and mark them to look like your originals.

Speaking of which:

This project has NOT stalled! laugh

Just searching for, ordering and waiting on parts. And getting distracted by parts for another project which do me no good now, but were too good of a deal to pass up on.

Squirrel!

Decals ordered from NPD have arrived.

[Linked Image]

They even wished me an very belated (7 months) or very early (5 months) happy birthday!

[Linked Image]

All in duplicate so I have a new one, and a spare. Mostly for the Chrysler, but there are jacking decals and door decals for the Charger Rallye in there as well.

[Linked Image]

Rust treatment products from KBS ordered and arrived.

[Linked Image]

Noted this lavender paint on the nose of the water pump for reference, in case I change the pump while I'm in here. (Despite the rediculous ease of doing the pump now, I consider this a mission creep issue, and have promised myself not to fall into that trap, as I have so many times before.)

[Linked Image]

On a long call a few nights ago with Magnumguy (Hi Bill!), so I started straightening the fins on the front of the condenser while he was on speaker phone. Hard to tell in these photos, but the folded over fin "damage" on this corner was from the supplier 43 years ago, as when I straightened the fins out, there was no blackout paint applied under them. So they were folded over before it got painted. Not surprising given how delicate the part is, but just interesting to find. The whole face of this will get a flat black spray bomb touch up after I get it brushed out, blown out, and sprayed out with water.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Then my wife wakes me up before 6am this morning asking me if I was expecting a big box. I knew what it was, and fetched it in off the porch. Probably delivered late last night, and sat there under my porch light all night long. Glad I face a busy road in a halfway decent neighborhood. mad

I'll open it this afternoon. It's for the T/A. This is the "Squirrel" expenditure referenced above.

[Linked Image]

I still have (it appears) all the original clamps on my heater hoses, but the lower and upper radiator hoses have been changed, and the clamps along with them (with a generic parts store worm gear type clamp that is not correct). So I have ID'd the correct clamps (Thank You dmoore), and found a few sources (popular type on Fords and Oldsmobiles) that reproduce them. I just need to get the radiator back, and measure for hose size to know what clamps to order. Also need to get on Rock Auto and get hoses and other parts ordered. Also ordering a low tack repositionable spray adhesive to use holding a stencil on the hoses, as I want to try and recreate the factory markings. Not a big deal if I can't but I've always wanted to try it on my T/A (which still has all of it's date coded hoses, plug wires, etc). So it will be good practice. Will need some spray paint or a stamp pad too.

Oh, and the radiator shop called Friday...the radiator is ready. Just need to go pick it up. boogie

So lots of progress actually, lots of money spent (yikes!), but not a lot to show for it just yet.

DynoDave
Member # 12304
1970 Plymouth Duster
1977 Chrysler Cordoba
Re: A new start for my '77 Cordoba [Re: DynoDave] #2774696
05/14/20 10:58 PM
05/14/20 10:58 PM
MICHIGAN
DynoDave Offline OP
master
DynoDave  Offline OP
master

MICHIGAN
I spent a few hours disassembling and cleaning the clutch and fan this evening. The clutch and fan blades are aluminum, but the fan hub is steel, and has some surface rust. So chips on the core support, fan hub, steel input shaft on the clutch, water pump pulley and the lower core support are all going to get the KBS Coatings rust treatment...sort of a batch job.

A few more of those factory part numbers...

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Surprised at the level of gloss in the semi-gloss paint on those blades. They will need a quick dusting of paint too.

[Linked Image]

The fasteners that hold the fan to the clutch were surprisingly tight for threads into an aluminum casting. I may have to throw a little blue thread locker on those when they go back in. Don't need that fan coming loose. Also, those 4 bolts, the bolts for the radiator, and bolts for the fan shroud, etc...all have surface rust, and need to be blasted, then re-coated in something. Will probably go with a black phosphate coating of some sort.

DynoDave
Member # 12304
1970 Plymouth Duster
1977 Chrysler Cordoba
Re: A new start for my '77 Cordoba [Re: DynoDave] #2775002
05/15/20 11:13 PM
05/15/20 11:13 PM
MICHIGAN
DynoDave Offline OP
master
DynoDave  Offline OP
master

MICHIGAN
Noticed these markings on the water pump / power steering belt that I had removed. Appears to be the original, which would go a long way toward explaining it's petrified state. I expect these markings are too small and the belt too narrow for me to be able to replicate them.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

NOS radiator cap arrived today. Not 100% like the production piece, but pretty darned close, and far closer than anything else on the market.

[Linked Image]

Having discovered that cloth friction tape was used to hold the small ground wire off of the negative terminal to a harness clip, I picked up a roll of it at the local ACE.

[Linked Image]

Started cleaning up the other side, opposite the battery, near the core support.

[Linked Image]

It's a little hard to tell in these photos, since the whole photo(s) came out with a yellow cast. But that clip bolted to the inner fender is painted bright yellow. Not important, just interesting.

[Linked Image]

Charcoal canister cleaned up.

[Linked Image]

Filter doesn't look too bad. Blew it out with a little compressed air to be sure.

[Linked Image]

DynoDave
Member # 12304
1970 Plymouth Duster
1977 Chrysler Cordoba
Re: A new start for my '77 Cordoba [Re: DynoDave] #2775561
05/17/20 07:49 PM
05/17/20 07:49 PM
MICHIGAN
DynoDave Offline OP
master
DynoDave  Offline OP
master

MICHIGAN
While I'm working on getting one of my Mopars on the road again, I do have another brand P vehicle that I can take out cruising.

It was such a nice night out on Friday that the wife and daughter ran down to Woodward with me. After all the action I saw out there a few weeks ago on one of nicest nights of the year thus far (and one of the busiest cruise nights I've ever seen out there short of Dream Cruise week), I thought this Friday would be just as busy...maybe even better as people (cruisers) get more restless.

Boy was I wrong! There was no one out by comparison. 40-50 other nuts like me stretched over the whole run from Birmingham down to Ferndale, and that was it. Maybe a dozen people stopped and setup with chairs along the way. Since the super busy cruise night of a few weeks ago, Birmingham had closed all of the metered spots on Old Woodward (put bags over them). And I'm quite serious when I say I've NEVER seen so many police out on a normal cruise night. And with people (cruisers) pulled over. In many instances 2 or 3 squad cars per cruiser pulled over. While I obviously do not know the specifics of why they were pulled over, it certainly looked like an attempt to intimidate. I ran a few miles in the inside lane (next to the grass berm) behind a white fart-piped 350Z (from Birmingham/Hunter House down past the McDonald's at Coolidge). I NEVER broke the speed limit, often running 5 under just to be sure given the excessive presence of law enforcement. At Coolidge, an unmarked black Ford Exploder pulls up next to me. On the green, I laid back and had the cruise control set at 5 under, as I often do when cruising. The guy in the Z was minding his Ps and Qs too, but was slowly pulling away from me, running the speed limit with the rest of the pack (everyone had seen this police cruiser pull up on us, so he wasn't surprising anyone). About 2 blocks from the corner at Coolidge, the cop pulls over in front of me, right on the Z's , and moments later, hits the lights. Pulled him over into the old Harmony House record store parking lot right before the cemetery. That I had observed in the preceding 5 minutes or so of cruising, this guy had done nothing. Now, he might have gotten ticketed for taking a nice white 350Z with factory duals out the bumper and installing a cheap chinese amazon fart pipe hanging low off one side...it was an egregious violation of good automotive taste....but other than that, this guy was cruising like Grandma. There was never a time when we were out that you couldn't look in either direction and see the flashing lights of police cars with people (cruisers) pulled over. It was an embarrassing display on the part of local police IMO. Are you old enough to remember the late '70s Car Craft Street Machine Nationals in Indy, where they chased cruisers out with cops in riots gear with dogs? Well it wasn't like that, but it sure brought back memories!
grin

I was going to go back out last night to full-fill my duty as public menace (and more seriously to defend my right to be there...heck, even the Gov says to get outside), but it was sprinkling here about the time I would have left.

That was the bad. The good? With restaurants still shut down, it was a rare opportunity to slip up inside of Vinsetta garage (with 3 Berkeley cops with a guy pulled over just down the street) and get a picture under the neon. This is not usually an option as the place where I'm parked with be packed with customer cars at dusk.

[Linked Image]

Ordered a few more items for the Chrysler this week. Cleaning continues. No radiator yet. And no paint yet. Getting a little worried about that order, and going to follow up with them tomorrow. Just about done with a Rock Auto order for belts and hoses, though I'm not sure the belts are right. The lengths they list are shorter than what I have for the alternator and A/C compressor. Time will tell.

DynoDave
Member # 12304
1970 Plymouth Duster
1977 Chrysler Cordoba
Re: A new start for my '77 Cordoba [Re: DynoDave] #2775592
05/17/20 10:01 PM
05/17/20 10:01 PM
New Mexico
UCUDANT Offline
Troll Hunter
UCUDANT  Offline
Troll Hunter

New Mexico
Is that a GTA?

In regards to the local authorities pulling drivers over without justification, there are more of us than there are of them. I'd have everyone I know out there, you can't catch us all.
This is partly a control issue, and they are starting to implement measures that resemble a "Police state"

po·lice state
/pəˈlēs ˈstāt/
noun
a totalitarian state controlled by a political police force that secretly supervises the citizens' activities.

I'd take the ticket, and keep going

Last edited by UCUDANT; 05/17/20 10:01 PM.
Re: A new start for my '77 Cordoba [Re: DynoDave] #2775642
05/18/20 08:43 AM
05/18/20 08:43 AM
S.E. Michigan
ZIPPY Offline
I Live Here
ZIPPY  Offline
I Live Here

S.E. Michigan
Nice cars and project Dave.

Maybe I missed it -- how long has it been sitting?

The '71 axle and leaf springs should help quite a bit.

Rich H.

Esse Quam Videri

Re: A new start for my '77 Cordoba [Re: UCUDANT] #2775988
05/18/20 10:11 PM
05/18/20 10:11 PM
MICHIGAN
DynoDave Offline OP
master
DynoDave  Offline OP
master

MICHIGAN
Originally Posted by UCUDANT
Is that a GTA?

In regards to the local authorities pulling drivers over without justification, there are more of us than there are of them. I'd have everyone I know out there, you can't catch us all.
This is partly a control issue, and they are starting to implement measures that resemble a "Police state"

po·lice state
/pəˈlēs ˈstāt/
noun
a totalitarian state controlled by a political police force that secretly supervises the citizens' activities.

I'd take the ticket, and keep going

Not a GTA, just a Trans Am. The wheels were available in any of the Trans Am line as RPO PW7. Though red was a one year option, with only 611 takers.

DynoDave
Member # 12304
1970 Plymouth Duster
1977 Chrysler Cordoba
Re: A new start for my '77 Cordoba [Re: ZIPPY] #2775993
05/18/20 10:20 PM
05/18/20 10:20 PM
MICHIGAN
DynoDave Offline OP
master
DynoDave  Offline OP
master

MICHIGAN
Originally Posted by ZIPPY
Nice cars and project Dave.

Maybe I missed it -- how long has it been sitting?

The '71 axle and leaf springs should help quite a bit.

Hey Rich. I bought this car in the mid-'90s. and it was a couple of years until I shipped the stripped shell of the '72 Charger Rallye back home for storage, and moved the Chrysler inside. It was used for short joy rides (failing Lean Burn computer kept me pretty close to home). I converted to an MP ignition and made a few other small changes, then the original radiator split open. I parked it expecting to get to it "soon". Then kids, jobs, parents, etc.

Just went and checked the rear plate. Last decal is 1999. So right at 20 years.

I had a '77 Dodge Royal Monaco Brougham in college that had this same 400 4 barrel and was a 3.23 SureGrip car. Makes it quite a bit more lively.

DynoDave
Member # 12304
1970 Plymouth Duster
1977 Chrysler Cordoba
Re: A new start for my '77 Cordoba [Re: DynoDave] #2776324
05/20/20 12:05 AM
05/20/20 12:05 AM
New Mexico
UCUDANT Offline
Troll Hunter
UCUDANT  Offline
Troll Hunter

New Mexico
I've attempted stamping. I had one made and the amount of paint and pressure you apply will vary the quality of your results, but with a little practice first you can achieve the result you desie..

DSCF1395.JPGVoltage regulator comparison.jpg
Re: A new start for my '77 Cordoba [Re: UCUDANT] #2776467
05/20/20 01:07 PM
05/20/20 01:07 PM
Virginia's Eastern Shore
D
dmoore Offline
pro stock
dmoore  Offline
pro stock
D

Virginia's Eastern Shore
Nice!

Re: A new start for my '77 Cordoba [Re: UCUDANT] #2776574
05/20/20 07:36 PM
05/20/20 07:36 PM
MICHIGAN
DynoDave Offline OP
master
DynoDave  Offline OP
master

MICHIGAN
Originally Posted by UCUDANT
I've attempted stamping. I had one made and the amount of paint and pressure you apply will vary the quality of your results, but with a little practice first you can achieve the result you desie..

Nice results! How did you go about getting that made? Send in a picture and some dimensions?

DynoDave
Member # 12304
1970 Plymouth Duster
1977 Chrysler Cordoba
Re: A new start for my '77 Cordoba [Re: DynoDave] #2776641
05/21/20 12:28 AM
05/21/20 12:28 AM
New Mexico
UCUDANT Offline
Troll Hunter
UCUDANT  Offline
Troll Hunter

New Mexico
I took an original part to a woman who made stamps. She did a great job.

Re: A new start for my '77 Cordoba [Re: UCUDANT] #2805832
08/06/20 04:20 PM
08/06/20 04:20 PM
MICHIGAN
DynoDave Offline OP
master
DynoDave  Offline OP
master

MICHIGAN
More life delays (virus, work from home, kids moved from and back to University, etc)....just the usual stuff I guess. But I have not been at a complete standstill. Aside from coolant, I "think" I have just about everything ordered and received to get the car back together. RockAuto, Herbs, Ebay, National Parts Depot, InLine Tube, etc. The last parts are in, so time to get back on it. Low on the excitement scale, but necessary, the new water pump is getting wiped down with Pre, etch primed, and painted today. While that cures over the coming days, I'll get the block flushed out, and the tension rod for the radiator made. Then more cleaning, prep and touch-up in the engine compartment.

I started to slide down that slippery slope of "while I'm at it I will....", but stopped myself. Just bought a good iron pump off Rock. I'll get a nicer aluminum piece when the engine comes out. Same with swapping to an aluminum pump housing....that's for another day.

[Linked Image]

DynoDave
Member # 12304
1970 Plymouth Duster
1977 Chrysler Cordoba
Re: A new start for my '77 Cordoba [Re: DynoDave] #2809126
08/15/20 07:36 AM
08/15/20 07:36 AM
New Mexico
UCUDANT Offline
Troll Hunter
UCUDANT  Offline
Troll Hunter

New Mexico
Dave you mentioned the non glamorous work and the slippery slope of "While I'm at it...." Thanks, that made me chuckle.

Re: A new start for my '77 Cordoba [Re: UCUDANT] #2893216
02/25/21 10:04 PM
02/25/21 10:04 PM
MICHIGAN
DynoDave Offline OP
master
DynoDave  Offline OP
master

MICHIGAN
Well, damn it...garage fire.

Not too many items directly consumed in the fire...car cover, water pump, new Wen belt & disc sander that was an anniv. gift from work, and some other odds and ends. A dozen items in a shop full of thousands of pieces. So that's almost the good news, though that sentence is hard to say.

[Linked Image]

But the smoke and water damage are extensive. And there's limited coverage on the parts (my choice), and none on the Chrysler. So I'll be unboxing, cleaning, and repackaging a thousand parts, collectibles, items of petroliana, and tons of paper docs. The Chrysler is being towed to a detail shop next week to see what they can do with it.

[Linked Image]

Look at the underside of that middle cabinet. Strange how the air/smoke/soot traveled and swirled in the air.

[Linked Image]

I have no experience at estimating such things, but my guess is that this sets me back at least 6 months on all projects. Some longer if parts are not salvageable.

DynoDave
Member # 12304
1970 Plymouth Duster
1977 Chrysler Cordoba
Re: A new start for my '77 Cordoba [Re: DynoDave] #2893456
02/26/21 04:51 PM
02/26/21 04:51 PM
S.E. Michigan
ZIPPY Offline
I Live Here
ZIPPY  Offline
I Live Here

S.E. Michigan
Oh $#!+.

Glad the loss was limited to the items mentioned.

Especially glad no mention of harm coming to anyone.

Very sorry for the setback frown

Rich H.

Esse Quam Videri

Re: A new start for my '77 Cordoba [Re: ZIPPY] #2893559
02/26/21 11:31 PM
02/26/21 11:31 PM
MICHIGAN
DynoDave Offline OP
master
DynoDave  Offline OP
master

MICHIGAN
Thanks Rich. Yes, people and pets were fine. A little scared, but fine.

Continuing to make progress, though most folks would have a hard time telling.

Ozone generator arrived and has been put to work. Does a good job of killing smoke odor, but it comes back after a few hours. This was expected, as the smell won't go away permanently until the shop is gutted and redone.

I got insurance on an old truck I was going to work on this spring, and had it towed to a shop. It's going to cost me more, but at least it will be done. And it's in the way of towing the Chrysler out of the garage on Tuesday. Also getting info on insurance for the Chrysler.

My son and I will work on moving parts away from the Chrysler this weekend. That's a fair amount of stuff, including a fully dressed 8.75" axle with leaf springs. We'll also finish cutting that door open so the car can get out.

I took a few minutes this afternoon and raked up the small mountain of leaves that had collected under the truck. It's funny what is heavily smoke and soot damaged and what is not. Rake that was 3' from the fire? Not bad at all. Ear buds hanging on a hook 20' away? Absolutely black (they were white).

Picked up some 2.5 gal. ziploc bags last night, and will experiment with some gas mileage log book pages I had printed out and sitting on the bench in the shop. A dusting of baking soda, a piece of paper, more soda, more paper, etc. Seal it up and let it sit overnight. This seems to be about the only cure offered online for smoky paper. Books you can clean the cover. In summer, set them out in the bright sun and fresh air. But for winter in Michigan, this is all I've found. I sure hope it works, because I have a TON of paper in that garage, and I have to clean it all. It's covered by insurance, but the remediation company will not touch paper...they will just write it off as a loss. So 100 posters, 50 service manuals and parts books, a large number of reference books form college and other places, hundreds of magazines, and a lifetime of paperwork are all out there. If I want the stuff, I've got to clean it somehow.

This weekend also includes time spent in the back garage trying to create a spot for the Chrysler when it comes back (assuming it does not still smell smoky). That's bay 2, and it is currently full of parts, tool boxes, kids college stuff, bikes, tractor, push mower, etc. Not sure where I will put it all. Also cleaning out bay 3 of it's firewood debris and racks, and filling it with new totes to move the cleaned parts into. So that will be a good days worth of work for sure.

If I'm REAL ambitious, I will try to get the utility trailer out of the back corner of the shop, and park it outside (sorry '38 Ford based farm trailer). That's the spot earmarked for a pallet rack to put those containers on. That was always the long range plan. As long as I'm moving stuff around, maybe I'll try and get that trailer out of there. Then I can say that despite the fire, I made some real "progress" on finishing the back garage in 2021!

DynoDave
Member # 12304
1970 Plymouth Duster
1977 Chrysler Cordoba
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5