08/05/20 08:02 PM
08/05/20 08:02 PM
Central Florida
larrymopar360 Offline
Stud Muffin
larrymopar360  Offline
Stud Muffin

Central Florida
On my '79 W150, I had some blackening burn spots on my gauge pod with the factory 60 amp alternator. I connected the pos and neg wires with a short brass bolt, washer and nut, and electrical tape wrap. Alternator swap to a Power Master 150 amp just for reliability. The amp gauge was pretty much useless anyway, IMO. I probably should do a voltmeter, I know. I still have the amp gauge mounted for looks. I cut a nail file down to be very thin, and thoroughly cleaned my bulkhead connectors too.

I kind of think I'll notice an alternator getting weak in my headlights and dash lights.

Here's the link for the MAD MAD MAD world thing

http://www.madelectrical.com/electricaltech/amp-gauges.shtml

I just like keeping it all stock looking (NOS gauges now) without the extra voltmeter.

NOSgaugesPW.JPG

Facts are stubborn things.
Re: Dash amp meter bypass [Re: dragon slayer] #2805616
08/06/20 12:34 AM
08/06/20 12:34 AM
Phila
P
PhillyRag Offline
top fuel
PhillyRag  Offline
top fuel
P

Phila
Originally Posted by dragon slayer

Here is a long answer if you really want to know what is going on. Trace out the wiring in the service manual and you will see how it works.

Some correct answer some incorrect. All current is not routed through the amp meter. Basics: Battery can source more amps then alternator. 700 Cold Cranking Amps etc... The alternator is limited to a design current based on mechanical conversion of rotating magnetic field to create current. Rectified through diodes. So early amps from alternator limited to about 37, 50 amps. If you look at the wiring diagram, the alternator does not have fusible links, like the battery does in later cars. A short in the wiring before the car would start, while just ignition switch on, could source that 700amps from the battery which would quickly melt your 12, 14, 16 gauge wire. The alternator could not sustain that high a current.

The output of the battery goes directly to one end of the amp meter (and starter). The output of the alternator goes to a splice joint to feed ignition, fuse panel, etc, while one of the splices feeds the other end of the amp meter. The only thing going through the amp meter normally when you start the car, is the alternator feeding amperage to recharge the battery. Based on the voltage difference between alternator and the battery. Current flow from high voltage to low voltage. The alternator when good, will have a higher voltage then a new battery. The alternator runs everything via the splices before it ever gets to the amp meter. A normally running car, would have a trickle charge of the battery after it levels out from starting the car. (Yes battery can be sourcing some current since it is in parallel with alternator and two uneven power sources will load share to a degree, but the one with a higher output voltage will source the majority of the load).

Weak links are the terminal connections at the bulkhead. Poor connections as mentioned on the amp meter. Bad voltage regulator, or bad diodes on the alternator which would reduce alternator voltage. NOW the battery is feeding current via amp meter, back to the splice and even to the alternator. The other weak link is that splice. They route the alternator output to the center of the dash on a 70 B body, then back to the column for ignition switch. All that excess wire bundled together creates heat, raised resistance, more heat.

So the only thing the amp meter monitors is how much the alternator is charging the battery. Or with car not running, how much current the battery is sourcing for anything on.

A simple 10 gauge wire from alternator output to battery simplifies the battery charging and prevents sending the current into the dash, and then back out to engine compartment, when both the battery and alt are in the engine compartment. A volt meter placed on the alternator output to ground, tells you what you need to know. Alternator voltage output is higher then normal battery voltage.

So even with a 100 amp alternator your not at risk other than your amp meter does not have a fusible link to limit the now much higher amperage available for your original wiring. Yes can overload the amp meter and wiring now, if the battery is dead. Will act like a short to the alternator. If your interior wiring remains the same, and all your new loads are in the engine compartment with separate wiring, and fuses and relay (electric fans, water pump, separate wire to fuel pump). That amp meter is not at risk. Current is not going through it as long as the battery is good.

Current kills, so running wire from alternator through bulk head, back to battery, just so you can have a gauge tell you if your battery is charging or discharging is a little archaic with more modern alternators and regulators. A Voltmeter can do it and does not jeopardize the wire.

Very thought out write up. Many excellent points. Got me thinking: wrt charging any battery, most if not all chargers, have meters indicating the current being feed to battery. So is current more important then say voltage to indicate the charging status of a battery.

But the alternator is still beneficial where the voltmeter will not protect you:, Let say you developed a short on the ignition wiring laying across the engine. You turn on ignition but not start. You see amp meter peg battery discharging because of the direct short. You immediately turn ignition off and investigate. Early cars without any fusible link your ignition is not really protected from the battery. A voltmeter would not really tell what is going on. Voltage would droop, but not enough to warn you. 100 amps to fry a 16 gauge wire not a problem for the battery.

I left my amp meter on, but what I did do was double up my bulk had connectors, and I also sent the alternator output to the ignition switch directly, not to the splice and then back. I have fusible links on the battery output. When I start the car, I watch amp meter. I know where it indicates and how fast it comes down, even when sitting for a month.

My car prior to purchase had the engine harness burn up. I found that that overheated the ignition wire under dash at the splice and had to repair all that wiring. Had nothing to do with amp meter, but a shorted engine harness allowed all that current to go into dash harness to get to the ignition switch and back out. Bulk head connector melted too. Repaired it all and modified it for a more efficient electrical wiring. Without an amp meter you rely on blowing a fuse, breaker, or fusible link to know you have a problem. An Amp meter can show you a developing high current situation that a voltmeter can not. Just like watching oil pressure.

Re: Dash amp meter bypass [Re: larrymopar360] #2805636
08/06/20 06:56 AM
08/06/20 06:56 AM
Valencia, España
NachoRT74 Offline
master
NachoRT74  Offline
master

Valencia, España
I'd like to find the way to bann that MAD page about the ammeter "problem", full of missinformation.

JUST UNDERSTAND HOW THE AMMETER WORKS, AND WHAT DO YOU NEED TO RUN IT SAFE and you will be ready to make anything you want still with the "infamous" ammeter system.

voltimeter is not actually a straight reading of the charge status, but a reflection. I won't say is not usefull, but not more than an ammeter.

Once I had a discharge reading on ammeter but 18 volts on batt, and when I disconected the batt, the engine stalled... which gauge was correct ? Amm or Voltmeter ?

Just upgrade the amm paths and alt capacity and you will be done with anything you want.

Sure after 50 years of abuse, is time to check the ammeter conditions INSIDE ( Not just the studs outside ) and its isolations sheets. Don't ask they could be perfect now, like a 50 years tires won't be

please read the links I posted.

With a Charger born in Chrysler assembly plant in Valencia, Venezuela
Re: Dash amp meter bypass [Re: NachoRT74] #2805695
08/06/20 10:54 AM
08/06/20 10:54 AM
VA
D
dragon slayer Offline
pro stock
dragon slayer  Offline
pro stock
D

VA
Volts = Resistance X Current (I amps) Voltage is the potential for charging and current is a better measurement of the rate of charging. The higher the current the faster it is charging, which on a battery usually means it is lower in voltage and charge capacity.

The Battery is pure DC no ripple. The alternator generates 3 phase AC which the diodes and the capacitor in the alternator convert to DC. But it still has a ripple. Electronic Power supplies use all sorts of filtering to generate a pure DC from an AC source (wall plug). The car components are not as critical, until you get to more modern stuff.

Adding all that stuff to the battery is fine, as long as you put relays and breakers for it in the engine compartment bulkhead somewhere. Then you you can just use the alternator side via ignition to run the relays to switch on and feed fan, fuel, water pump, efi etc... from the battery. Use a direct wire from alternator to battery in the engine compartment with breaker if you think you need it to charge battery. If you did this an left amp meter installed in theory you would have half the current flowing through the amp meter. But because of small resistance in the wire to amp meter due to length, gauge and bulkhead connectors, the current takes the least path of resistance and most flow through thicker direct wire from alternator.

Re: Dash amp meter bypass [Re: NachoRT74] #2806006
08/07/20 01:25 AM
08/07/20 01:25 AM
Phila
P
PhillyRag Offline
top fuel
PhillyRag  Offline
top fuel
P

Phila
Originally Posted by NachoRT74
I'd like to find the way to bann that MAD page about the ammeter "problem", full of missinformation.

JUST UNDERSTAND HOW THE AMMETER WORKS, AND WHAT DO YOU NEED TO RUN IT SAFE and you will be ready to make anything you want still with the "infamous" ammeter system.

voltimeter is not actually a straight reading of the charge status, but a reflection. I won't say is not usefull, but not more than an ammeter.

Once I had a discharge reading on ammeter but 18 volts on batt, and when I disconected the batt, the engine stalled... which gauge was correct ? Amm or Voltmeter ?
Ammeter. You can apply 18 volts to a battery, but if it's bad, no current will go thru it

Just upgrade the amm paths and alt capacity and you will be done with anything you want.

Sure after 50 years of abuse, is time to check the ammeter conditions INSIDE ( Not just the studs outside ) and its isolations sheets. Don't ask they could be perfect now, like a 50 years tires won't be
please read the links I posted.

Your one note why people should NOT charge a Dead battery using Only the car's system was On-Target. It will overload the wiring/ammeter/etc.

Re: Dash amp meter bypass [Re: Alaskan_TA] #2806010
08/07/20 03:22 AM
08/07/20 03:22 AM
Valencia, España
NachoRT74 Offline
master
NachoRT74  Offline
master

Valencia, España
Originally Posted by Alaskan_TA
Originally Posted by NITROUSN
higher output alternators.

That nailed it.

Start adding amperage that was not needed when these cars were new and things can go wrong.

Some people try to overthink the original engineering and things can go badly.

Actually this is incorrect. A higher output alternator will PROTECT the ammeter from getting loads going throught because being the battery won't be required for load assistance, will never ( or barelly ) get discharged hence charged back.

Amperes are not pushed in but sucked out by the devices. You source your brake light on cluster on the same batt able to crank up the engine by the starter motor, and the bulb doesn't get burn because the batt provides more amps than the bulb needs.

You can put a 500 amps alternator but if your car loads demands is around 30-40 amps, will still suck 30-40 amps with it and your alt will just provide that. The diff will be NOW you have an alt able to source that still at 700-800 RPMs, where the stock alt needs to get the engine up to 1000-1100 to source it, discharging the batt while is not on that speed rate

Diff stuff is the path reinforcement able to source the loads now coming by just the alt instead coming from batt and alt together. Bulkhead is in any case still the weak link because packard terminals are able to hold barelly 25 amps of constant current and this is just when new.

This is assuming everything is CORRECTLY sourced by the alt and not from batt when accesories are added

With a Charger born in Chrysler assembly plant in Valencia, Venezuela
Re: Dash amp meter bypass [Re: NachoRT74] #2806106
08/07/20 11:29 AM
08/07/20 11:29 AM
Oregon
A
AndyF Offline
I Win
AndyF  Offline
I Win
A

Oregon
That is correct but the problem is that some hot rodders are clueless about wiring. They'll add heavy current draws such as fans, CD ignitions, EFI, etc. on the battery side. Then they'll add a high amp alternator and plumb it into the stock wiring harness. The result is that now the bulkhead and ammeter have to deal with 30 or 40 amps continuous. The result is a meltdown and possibly a fire.

Page 2 of 2 1 2