07/26/20 09:27 AM
07/26/20 09:27 AM
Super Spudsville
Mr PotatoHead Offline OP
Half Baked
Mr PotatoHead  Offline OP
Half Baked

Super Spudsville

In these crazy times with dealerships offering to bring a new car to you, ect.....

Would it be a stretch to ask a dealer or tell a dealer if he wanted to sell me a 9k used cars hes probably making 3k on he needs to drive two hours to make the deal?

This guy may have 20-25 newer used cars on his lot.

Maybe its just me but isnt a 3k profit nearly more then hed make off a new car sale?

Im just thinking in these hard financial times????? I told him I had concerns buying without looking it over or driving and asked about any warranty, he said when the papers are signed its done, as is. Its 5 years old with 85k miles.

Id be willing to zap the guy $500 before he makes the trip? I can call my bank and put him on the phone and they can do the transfer while we do the paperwork or?

Am I that far off?

STOP POTATO HATE!
Re: A car dealer question? Buying. [Re: Mr PotatoHead] #2801246
07/26/20 09:44 AM
07/26/20 09:44 AM
Michigan
O
oldjonny Offline
Don't argue with me.
oldjonny  Offline
Don't argue with me.
O

Michigan
Well....you are already doing something I would never do. Buying a used car from a dealer is like playing Russian roulette with a fully loaded gun.

Never, ever argue with an IDIOT. They will drag you to their level and then beat you with their years of experience
Re: A car dealer question? Buying. [Re: oldjonny] #2801247
07/26/20 09:48 AM
07/26/20 09:48 AM
North Pole,New York
F
formula_s Offline
master
formula_s  Offline
master
F

North Pole,New York
Originally Posted by oldjonny
Buying a used car from a dealer is like playing Russian roulette with a fully loaded gun.

....and without a warranty.....

Re: A car dealer question? Buying. [Re: formula_s] #2801253
07/26/20 10:01 AM
07/26/20 10:01 AM
New Jersey
P
Powerflow Offline
pro stock
Powerflow  Offline
pro stock
P

New Jersey
A five year old car with 85k being sold 'as-is' doesn't sound like the buy of a lifetime, especially sight-unseen. I'd keep looking.

Re: A car dealer question? Buying. [Re: Mr PotatoHead] #2801258
07/26/20 10:21 AM
07/26/20 10:21 AM
Puttin' on the foil in Charles...
not_a_charger Online mad
Mr. Big Shot Moparts Moderator
not_a_charger  Online Mad

Used cars are flying off of the lots right now in many places. Even wholesale auction prices are through the roof. If you don't buy it, someone else will, though the fact that you're looking at a Dart is in your favor. That's a car not many people want.

Earning every penny of that moderator paycheck.

DBAP
Re: A car dealer question? Buying. [Re: not_a_charger] #2801260
07/26/20 10:34 AM
07/26/20 10:34 AM
Super Spudsville
Mr PotatoHead Offline OP
Half Baked
Half Baked

Super Spudsville
Ok, I understand, but wonder.

Umm I understand, but if I went and bought a 70 challenger for 40k, am I still playing Russian Roulette with no warranty?

So does things like the Kelly Blue Book mean nothing as for close value?

Not that it would matter to most but this particular they made 1300 of in that color and there are two option packages that set it further apart.

And yes, the online info in the Tigershark 2.4 Multi-Air.

Low book is around 8500.

I had thought about one of the extended warranty programs Ive seen advertised.

What should I offer him?

See the part thats getting me here is ive wanted one of these for a long time, and found one close and unmodified.

What the dealer dont know is his reluctance to do a little more work in addition to more research is tipping the needle and its not is his favor. This is not going to be a primary car, just for parts running and to match some of my older junk in color.

Dam, someone say something positive???????? Maybe.

Last edited by Mr. Potatohead; 07/26/20 10:35 AM.

STOP POTATO HATE!
Re: A car dealer question? Buying. [Re: Mr PotatoHead] #2801265
07/26/20 10:46 AM
07/26/20 10:46 AM
Super Spudsville
Mr PotatoHead Offline OP
Half Baked
Half Baked

Super Spudsville
Ok, digging further, carfax shows clean.

Auto Check? before buying the report says one accident.

Is Auto check any good, worth the $20 report?

Last edited by Mr. Potatohead; 07/26/20 10:47 AM.

STOP POTATO HATE!
Re: A car dealer question? Buying. [Re: not_a_charger] #2801267
07/26/20 10:50 AM
07/26/20 10:50 AM
Canada -- Posts: 4034 -Registe...
5thAve Offline
Doesn't care what this says anyway
5thAve  Offline
Doesn't care what this says anyway

Canada -- Posts: 4034 -Registe...
There's usually just as much profit or more on used cars then new ones. That's why so many people try to get into that game.
If a used car dealer is willing to drive 2 hours out of their way to sell a car I don't know if I'd want it. That could be a really good indication of how desperate they are to unload it and it might not be for a good reason.

Re: A car dealer question? Buying. [Re: Mr PotatoHead] #2801268
07/26/20 10:51 AM
07/26/20 10:51 AM
It's a dry heat
gtx6970 Offline
Too Many Posts
gtx6970  Offline
Too Many Posts

It's a dry heat
I would be surprised a dealer would make a 2 hours plus drive to sell one. UNLESS its at full asking. And they are sure its sold deal.

Dealers make A LOT more on used then they ever make on new,
Once you buy , look into a warranty on your own, ( if you want one ) dealers mark up the warr costs dramatically.

But buying a used car with no warranty would NOT stop me by any means. I'm not perfect but trust my own judgement and look them over really good before making a final decision.

I used to work at a new car dealership so I know the game well

Last edited by gtx6970; 07/26/20 10:54 AM.
Re: A car dealer question? Buying. [Re: Mr PotatoHead] #2801271
07/26/20 10:53 AM
07/26/20 10:53 AM
not_a_charger Online mad

Not that it would matter to most but this particular they made 1300 of in that color and there are two option packages that set it further apart.

Replace "most" with "anyone but me." whistling

What incentive does the dealer have to make a 4 hour round trip (not including the time they actually spend with you while you look at the car), just to hope that you buy it? shruggy

DBAP
Re: A car dealer question? Buying. [Re: not_a_charger] #2801282
07/26/20 11:31 AM
07/26/20 11:31 AM
Super Spudsville
Mr PotatoHead Offline OP
Half Baked
Half Baked

Super Spudsville
What incentive does the dealer have to make a 4 hour round trip (not including the time they actually spend with you while you look at the car), just to hope that you buy it?

Because id send him $500 non refundable deposit straight away, im not tire kicken , I can show him ive the cash in the bank to wire to him or however he wants it, but my bank is 150 miles away so a wire trans would be best.

If the car is as he says it is by the questions I asked, he says everything works as it should, no odd noises, drives straight, stops straight, struts are good. If thats true, Its a sold car, pic up phone call bank.

Im not disillusioned thats its a 5 year old car with 85k miles. The tires are fair, and told him I dont care if it would need brakes/rotors, ect soon.

SOME if it is, its a hot two hour drive to me, the car should make it here and should have no issues when it does.

I hate to say it, I live in a cash world, I could put min. down and if it takes a dump in the first 30 days, say there ya go, but thats not me.

If he would not of forcefully said, when the paperwork is signed it is yours, if it blows up 100 feet out the lots its yours.

The crazy part is, when I find a meh type car I want its as simple as it gets, I find something I really want and things get hard.

I hate to say it and this is where my dick attitude bites me, but if I got to jump through hoops to go see him, im gonna find a reason to get a oil change/trans service or new tires and have cash in ahnd and offer 1k less.

I know he dont know me but if he wants his 8k plus, he should be making plans to dive a bit. I know the world dont revolve around me and ive screwed myself many times like this but other times its worked.

If im gonna have to pay someone 100-200 bucks to drive me there im not gonna be as an enthusiastic buyer.

I did ask, how much to get it here, he said, my guys would probably do it for 4-500, huh?

He got the car from one of the huge ford dealerships as it was a trade in, im sure I can find out what he paid and im also tempted to call this dealership and ask them if they could help ( remember this is out in the country, people do like to help people and they do) also my wife is high risk and so am I for this vurus, not un normal but my wifes not left the farm but twice since March.

I know some say, why does he have to do this for you? Well I ask, as the customer with 8500 to spend does he want to put in a extra bit of work.

I looked at other cars, a recall VW and it had a warranty, priced right, but at the last minute he sent the pics of the hail damage on each panel.

I could say, I will come buy it if we can take it to the mopar dealer and have them inspect it, on his dime.

If they still made new ones id just go buy a new one.

Thanks for the input.

Last edited by Mr. Potatohead; 07/26/20 11:33 AM.

STOP POTATO HATE!
Re: A car dealer question? Buying. [Re: Mr PotatoHead] #2801283
07/26/20 11:35 AM
07/26/20 11:35 AM
Addison Twp, Mi.
RobG Offline
top fuel
RobG  Offline
top fuel

Addison Twp, Mi.
I just read an article that Hertz has to sell 182,000 vehicles to emerge from bankruptcy. Check with them on deals.

I am not rich...but I get off my ass everyday to make sure I am not broke!

Can we get the Mexican cartels to help us with our supply chain issues? They don't seem to have any trouble getting stuff from one place to another.
Re: A car dealer question? Buying. [Re: Mr PotatoHead] #2801285
07/26/20 11:38 AM
07/26/20 11:38 AM
not_a_charger Online mad

They're going to sell that car anyway, and to someone who not only is less demanding and will take less of their time, but likely to someone they can get to finance the car instead of paying cash.

You're overvaluing your position as a customer, especially in the current used car market. I hope you get the car, since it's what you want.

DBAP
Re: A car dealer question? Buying. [Re: Mr PotatoHead] #2801288
07/26/20 11:41 AM
07/26/20 11:41 AM
Super Spudsville
Mr PotatoHead Offline OP
Half Baked
Half Baked

Super Spudsville
Looks like I will just say F-it then.

Im sitting here with a clot ready to break up I think and I just jacked two $175 lovinox shots in me and id probably need 3-4 to make this trip.

This am im 170/110, last night I was 220/140 so im getting ready break up a big one if im pushing that much pressure.

Thanks for your input guys.

STOP POTATO HATE!
Re: A car dealer question? Buying. [Re: Mr PotatoHead] #2801290
07/26/20 11:44 AM
07/26/20 11:44 AM
not_a_charger Online mad

It can't hurt to ask. The worst they can say is no. Just don't take offense if they do.

DBAP
Re: A car dealer question? Buying. [Re: Mr PotatoHead] #2801291
07/26/20 11:47 AM
07/26/20 11:47 AM
nowhere
S
Sniper Offline
master
Sniper  Offline
master
S

nowhere
Originally Posted by Mr. Potatohead
Ok, I understand, but wonder.

Umm I understand, but if I went and bought a 70 challenger for 40k, am I still playing Russian Roulette with no warranty?

Sight unseen, going by just the seller's word (I assume you don't know the seller so you have no basis to judge the value of his word) and without someone you trusted to at least give it a once over?

Might be Polish Roulette regardless if the vehicle we are talking about.

Re: A car dealer question? Buying. [Re: Sniper] #2801294
07/26/20 12:03 PM
07/26/20 12:03 PM
Crook County, ILL
Mastershake340 Offline
master
Mastershake340  Offline
master

Crook County, ILL
Can you have someone local to the dealer check the car out for you?
If they then say it looks good, maybe can negotiate with a towing company to bring it to you on a flatbed.
I have a 14 Dart SXT manual with almost 95,000 miles and it’s been a good car. Some issues with the clutch master cylinder FCA extended the warranty on, a new wheel bearing, and I was having issues with the parking brake and a caliper sticking after using the parking brake I just got that fixed to the tune of 2 new rear calipers. Other than oil and filter changes and front and rear brakes, that’s it for 6 years owning it.
I checked Kelly blue book recently on it since I’m toying with idea of buying a Ram pickup, and the trade in value was a joke on what is a mint, well equipped reliable car.... 3500-4000 bucks. I’ll keep it as a good beater until it drops before I’d let it go for that!

Re: A car dealer question? Buying. [Re: Mastershake340] #2801299
07/26/20 12:19 PM
07/26/20 12:19 PM
Super Spudsville
Mr PotatoHead Offline OP
Half Baked
Half Baked

Super Spudsville
Maybe the dealer he got it from would give me some info, Ive the vin and there stock number and being although a ford dealer id think they gave it a good looking over, or not.

This guy simply tells me everything works and it drives and stops straight.

Master shake, I dont know anyone in that area.

I know ive stacked the deck against myself.

STOP POTATO HATE!
Re: A car dealer question? Buying. [Re: Mr PotatoHead] #2801516
07/26/20 09:09 PM
07/26/20 09:09 PM
Salem
Grizzly Online tonguue
Moparts Proctologist
Grizzly  Online Tonguue
Moparts Proctologist

Salem
lol, who buys a used car from a Stealership these days?

That 9k car is 4k on Craigslist all day long.

I've had nothing but good luck and will continue to support some poor Sap that got hosed by a dealer and is taking their losses and dumping their ride.

Know what you want, research the car, and wait for the right deal to come up. It used to take forever with the print Pennysaver ads, but in this day and age it takes a few weeks to get what you want.

Mo' Farts

Moderated by "tbagger".
Re: A car dealer question? Buying. [Re: Grizzly] #2801532
07/26/20 10:03 PM
07/26/20 10:03 PM
Chino Valley
RodStRace Offline
I Live Here
RodStRace  Offline
I Live Here

Chino Valley
Originally Posted by Grizzly
lol, who buys a used car from a Stealership these days?

That 9k car is 4k on Craigslist all day long.

I've had nothing but good luck and will continue to support some poor Sap that got hosed by a dealer and is taking their losses and dumping their ride.

Know what you want, research the car, and wait for the right deal to come up. It used to take forever with the print Pennysaver ads, but in this day and age it takes a few weeks to get what you want.

This right here. Buy from a private party is my mantra. The 20% plus you save can be your own private warranty, which is better than darn near any offered by a private used car lot.

If you do social media or can reach out over the 'farm country network' and get someone to do a look-see, or even a walk around with a video camera, you might be able to put your mid to rest, but it sounds like you want concierge service for a mid to low end car, and that is not likely. I understand WHY you want it, but the store isn't going to be burning up the profits built into this to meet your demands.

I recently got a truck after months of looking. I even found one hundreds of miles away and tried to figure out how to get myself out there and back.
Greyhound was under a hundred bucks but it was a 12 hour ride one way! eek
Uhaul would not rent a dolly to haul back my compact car with the 1/2 ton truck I was considering, They wanted me to rent one of their big ol' POS box trucks. tsk
So I get your requirements. I really do! BTW, I ended up getting the truck 2.5 hours away and had to drive it back home, go back down the next day with it and my trailer to pick up my car and tow it home.
They are looking at 2 employees and a car for a good part of a day. I doubt most lots have 2 employees they can spare that long on hand. You might get creative and see if there is a gig job place that could do the delivery, but then you have to get the dealer to go along with this AND pay those drivers.

I'd say your admitted tough-mindedness is telling you to keep looking. You know the difficulty of finding the needle, but there ARE needles out there.

I remember talking to the late, great Mr, Juliano
He asked his wife what car tickled her fancy. She liked the Acura NSXs. She also wanted an auto (needle in a haystack) and liked Orange. He did some research and found out there had been 1 (ONE) Orange, auto NSX built. He told this story while we were standing outside his storage place, looking at THAT car, her car.

You want THAT particular car? Go out of your way to track THAT car down. 1300 examples means there are enough that you can find one that YOU want. Post to everywhere you can think of and someone will reach out to you.

Last edited by RodStRace; 07/26/20 10:33 PM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2