Mr T2U Offline
master
Mr T2U  Offline
master
M

new berlin wisconsin
Originally Posted by W.I.N. racing
Originally Posted by Mr T2U
with a child technically the parents of the child because they are responsible for the control of the child. it can get complicated if it's at or near a intersection, because in a lot of states pedestrians have the right of way over cars. it can also complicate things because a child is injured so a lot of car owners step up and take care of things.

wild animals are covered thru comprehensive insurance because you can't bill mother nature for damages. no comp ins you are up the creek without a paddle.

Pedestrians have the right of way While in a Cross walk not anywhere on the street, "Owned" animals and their actions are the responsibility of the owners, These are Laws not opinion or conjecture. If a Owned animal (Dog/Cat/Cow/Horse) gets hit by a vehicle while on a public thoroughfare, it is the drivers responsibility to report it (police/owners), and any damages incurred are the responsibility of the "Owner"
Wild critters are an act of God...

as i posted it can get complicated AT OR NEAR A INTERSECTION.
i used those words because a lot of judges and juries will consider this a cross walk.

as others posted and suggested, billing and actually getting paid for damages are 2 different things.

perception is 90% of reality
Re: Who pays? [Re: W.I.N. Racing] #2800961
07/25/20 12:15 PM
07/25/20 12:15 PM
in a cattle trailer down by th...
G
Guitar Jones Offline
Paddle faster! I hear banjo music!
Guitar Jones  Offline
Paddle faster! I hear banjo music!
G

in a cattle trailer down by th...
Originally Posted by W.I.N. racing
Originally Posted by Mr T2U
with a child technically the parents of the child because they are responsible for the control of the child. it can get complicated if it's at or near a intersection, because in a lot of states pedestrians have the right of way over cars. it can also complicate things because a child is injured so a lot of car owners step up and take care of things.

wild animals are covered thru comprehensive insurance because you can't bill mother nature for damages. no comp ins you are up the creek without a paddle.

Pedestrians have the right of way While in a Cross walk not anywhere on the street, "Owned" animals and their actions are the responsibility of the owners, These are Laws not opinion or conjecture. If a Owned animal (Dog/Cat/Cow/Horse) gets hit by a vehicle while on a public thoroughfare, it is the drivers responsibility to report it (police/owners), and any damages incurred are the responsibility of the "Owner"
Wild critters are an act of God...

I get that it's the law, it just seems to be a double standard only because the animal is owned. If it was allowed to run free I get that also but the dog was leashed. Stuff happens, things break, you get the picture. Animals can be unpredictable whether they are owned or not. Nature of the beast.

Last edited by Guitar Jones; 07/25/20 12:17 PM.

"Follow me the wise man said, but he walked behind"

'92 D250 Club Cab CTD, 47RH conversion, pump tweaks, injectors, rear disc and hydroboost conversion.
'74 W200 Crew Cab 360, NV4500, D44, D60 and NP205 divorced transfer case. Rear disc and hydroboost coming soon!
2019 1500 Long Horn Crew Cab 4WD, 5.7 Hemi.
Re: Who pays? [Re: not_a_charger] #2800985
07/25/20 01:00 PM
07/25/20 01:00 PM
Massillon, Ohio
C
cudatom Offline
super stock
cudatom  Offline
super stock
C

Massillon, Ohio
Originally Posted by not_a_charger
Mom, dad, baby (in stroller pushed by dad), dog (on leash held by mom). Dog breaks leash, runs into street, gets hit by a car. Car is not speeding, not driving recklessly, etc. Dog is badly injured. Car is damaged. Car owner wants insurance info (homeowners/renters) of the dog owners so that he can get his car fixed. Owners refuse, freak out at driver for daring to ask for such info after hitting their dog. Cop at scene tries to talk driver out of it 'because of the circumstances."

Who should pay for the damage to the car?

** note - this is an incident I witnessed earlier today **

In my state the dog owners responsible. Paid a few of these as a Homeowners Rep.

Ok
Re: Who pays? [Re: Guitar Jones] #2801047
07/25/20 03:42 PM
07/25/20 03:42 PM
nowhere
S
Sniper Offline
master
Sniper  Offline
master
S

nowhere
Originally Posted by Guitar Jones

I get that it's the law, it just seems to be a double standard only because the animal is owned. If it was allowed to run free I get that also but the dog was leashed. Stuff happens, things break, you get the picture. Animals can be unpredictable whether they are owned or not. Nature of the beast.

Who pays if you are walking down the sidewalk and a chained dog breaks it's chain and rips you a new one?

How would that be different?

What if it was a bear that came out of the woods and ripped you a new one instead? Who pays there?

How is that different?

When you take ownership of an animal you also take responsibility for it's actions.

Re: Who pays? [Re: Sniper] #2801053
07/25/20 03:57 PM
07/25/20 03:57 PM
central il.
S
second 70 Offline
top fuel
second 70  Offline
top fuel
S

central il.
Here dog owner is responsible. Dog must be under control at all time. Even if the dog was on a leash still when it hit car owner still at fault because even on the leash the dog wasn't under control.

Re: Who pays? [Re: second 70] #2801065
07/25/20 04:19 PM
07/25/20 04:19 PM
Central Florida
larrymopar360 Offline
Stud Muffin
larrymopar360  Offline
Stud Muffin

Central Florida
Originally Posted by second 70
Here dog owner is responsible. Dog must be under control at all time. Even if the dog was on a leash still when it hit car owner still at fault because even on the leash the dog wasn't under control.
Right. I don't understand why this is so hard to understand. Nobody is stating it was a malicious act on the part of the dog owner. However, the dog did in fact go off leash and out of the control of the owner, period. It was an accident, and they do happen, but the dog owner is responsible. It was NOT an act of God, or Mother Nature. It also was not a person at a cross walk. Dogs are shorter, harder to see, and not a pedestrian. Dog "ran into the street". Yes, a jury found OJ innocent, so anything COULD happen. Martians could land on Earth tomorrow..

Facts are stubborn things.
Re: Who pays? [Re: larrymopar360] #2801087
07/25/20 05:24 PM
07/25/20 05:24 PM
W. Kentucky
justinp61 Offline
I Live Here
justinp61  Offline
I Live Here

W. Kentucky
When my dog got hit it didn't really hurt him but it did enough damage to total the old Lincoln that hit him. I live in a rural area and our dogs are only in a pen at night or when we're gone, he followed another dog into the road and was hit simple as that. Since he's my dog he is also my responsibility. I contacted my insurance company and explained the deal to them, they took care of it.

The woman that hit him has several hundred acres and some high bred registered cattle. I asked her if I came by her house and one of her cows was in the road and I hit it would she know who it belonged to? When she didn't answer I said unless it had a tattoo in its lip my guess is that no one would claim it. She just walked off.

Re: Who pays? [Re: larrymopar360] #2801096
07/25/20 06:02 PM
07/25/20 06:02 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
Originally Posted by larrymopar360
Right. I don't understand why this is so hard to understand. Nobody is stating it was a malicious act on the part of the dog owner. However, the dog did in fact go off leash and out of the control of the owner, period. It was an accident, and they do happen, but the dog owner is responsible. It was NOT an act of God, or Mother Nature. It also was not a person at a cross walk. Dogs are shorter, harder to see, and not a pedestrian. Dog "ran into the street". Yes, a jury found OJ innocent, so anything COULD happen. Martians could land on Earth tomorrow..

"Dog broke leash" ?

I know when I'm driving a car, and see a pedestrian/child/dog near my pathway, I know that all can be unpredictable, for reasons unforeseeable by me, and if they enter my path, the outcome can be injurious and/or fatal. I also know blame can easily be directed towards the driver. By taking extra obvious preventive measures on my part, like slowing down, giving a warning horn beep, pre braking, moving over and farther away, etc or some or any combination, I can make an obvious case that I was pro actively safety conscious, took extra caution if things went south, and mainly helped prevent a bad outcome. Legally however ,I may not be obligated to do any of the above. "Accidents" do happen, and some are avoidable, if one makes the effort.

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: Who pays? [Re: jcc] #2801131
07/25/20 07:32 PM
07/25/20 07:32 PM
Central Florida
larrymopar360 Offline
Stud Muffin
larrymopar360  Offline
Stud Muffin

Central Florida
Originally Posted by jcc
Originally Posted by larrymopar360

"Dog broke leash" ?

I know when I'm driving a car, and see a pedestrian/child/dog near my pathway, I know that all can be unpredictable, for reasons unforeseeable by me, and if they enter my path, the outcome can be injurious and/or fatal. I also know blame can easily be directed towards the driver. By taking extra obvious preventive measures on my part, like slowing down, giving a warning horn beep, pre braking, moving over and farther away, etc or some or any combination, I can make an obvious case that I was pro actively safety conscious, took extra caution if things went south, and mainly helped prevent a bad outcome. Legally however ,I may not be obligated to do any of the above. "Accidents" do happen, and some are avoidable, if one makes the effort.
Dog broke leash, correct. Should have had a newer leash, stronger leash, better leash, whatever. If they want to go after the leash manufacturer later, fine. It is NOT up to the vehicle owner to do so, if indeed the dog owner want's to make that claim! Hey, maybe the driver can go on SSI now for PTSD.

And law does not require vehicle operator to slow down when someone is walking their dog. And while it would've been great if the driver had anticipated the breaking of the leash, and slowed down just in case, he was certainly under no legal or moral obligation. My God, when will people take responsibility?! It would be different if children were playing in the street, for example. It seems nobody can take responsibility anymore. It's always the fault of someone or something else. Always. This is why we have so many attorneys in America and our premiums continue to rise.

Facts are stubborn things.
Re: Who pays? [Re: larrymopar360] #2801144
07/25/20 08:35 PM
07/25/20 08:35 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
"Dog broke leash, correct. Should have had a newer leash, stronger leash, better leash, whatever. laugh2If they want to go after the leash manufacturer later, fine. It is NOT up to the vehicle owner to do so, if indeed the dog owner want's to make that claim! Hey, maybe the driver can go on SSI now for PTSD. I agree, the range of options are nearly unlimited.

And law does not require vehicle operator to slow down when someone is walking their dog. I did state that, Right? And while it would've been great I would use the word prudent if the driver had anticipated the breaking of the leash If they only had thought that that, it would IMO show a real lack of imagination, ,my suggestions anticipated a much wider selection of possibilities , and slowed down just in case, he was certainly under no legal or moral obligation. So an easy solution, but accept no responsibility for taking that extra caution, which dovetails IMO nicely with your next comment My God, when will people take responsibility?! It would be different if children were playing in the street, you mean its perfectly logical and predictable how kids clear the street when a car approaches? for example. It seems nobody can take responsibility anymore. It's always the fault of someone or something else. Always. This is why we have so many attorneys in America and our premiums continue to rise." So juries made up of simple minded easily swayed people have no part in this then?
eek

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: Who pays? [Re: not_a_charger] #2801151
07/25/20 08:51 PM
07/25/20 08:51 PM
N.E. OHIO, USA
A12 Online content
Too Many Posts
A12  Online Content
Too Many Posts

N.E. OHIO, USA
Mike what would you estimate the damage to the driver's car?

Re: Who pays? [Re: A12] #2801170
07/25/20 10:50 PM
07/25/20 10:50 PM
Puttin' on the foil in Charles...
not_a_charger Offline OP
Mr. Big Shot Moparts Moderator
not_a_charger  Offline OP

Probably $1,500 - $1,800, depending upon the price of the headlamp.

Earning every penny of that moderator paycheck.

DBAP
Re: Who pays? [Re: not_a_charger] #2801197
07/26/20 12:55 AM
07/26/20 12:55 AM
N.E. OHIO, USA
A12 Online content
Too Many Posts
A12  Online Content
Too Many Posts

N.E. OHIO, USA
Probably $1,500 - $1,800, depending upon the price of the headlamp.

Yikes! that puts a big twist on this....................what vehicle?

Re: Who pays? [Re: A12] #2801208
07/26/20 06:58 AM
07/26/20 06:58 AM
not_a_charger Offline OP
not_a_charger  Offline OP

Ford Fusion. I checked, and the halogen headlamp itself is almost $800, which is more than I realized. I wrote a quick estimate, and it was $2,300.

Earning every penny of that moderator paycheck.

DBAP
Re: Who pays? [Re: not_a_charger] #2801278
07/26/20 11:16 AM
07/26/20 11:16 AM
Canada -- Posts: 4034 -Registe...
5thAve Offline
Doesn't care what this says anyway
5thAve  Offline
Doesn't care what this says anyway

Canada -- Posts: 4034 -Registe...
Dog owners fault they should fork over the information and be expected to pay.
Had it been a wreckless driver or something they could have easily avoided then I wouldn't want to give anything to the driver either.

Last edited by 5thAve; 07/26/20 11:18 AM.
Re: Who pays? [Re: 5thAve] #2801343
07/26/20 01:38 PM
07/26/20 01:38 PM
W. Kentucky
justinp61 Offline
I Live Here
justinp61  Offline
I Live Here

W. Kentucky
Originally Posted by 5thAve
Dog owners fault they should fork over the information and be expected to pay.
Had it been a wreckless driver or something they could have easily avoided then I wouldn't want to give anything to the driver either.

Absolutely! It would be different if the guy ran up on the sidewalk and hit the dog.

Re: Who pays? [Re: not_a_charger] #2801951
07/28/20 12:00 AM
07/28/20 12:00 AM
Downtown Roebuck Ont
Twostick Offline
Still wishing...
Twostick  Offline
Still wishing...

Downtown Roebuck Ont
Originally Posted by Guitar Jones
Originally Posted by crackedback
Dogs aren't wild animals.

Dog owners pay is my guess as they are required to maintain control of the animal.

I get this but why is it different because the dog has an owner? They are still animals with a mind of their own. It wasn't like the owners had intentionally let it run free. What if it was a stray dog?
The only difference is the owners may potentially have insurance that will cover the damages. Otherwise it's the drivers comprehensive insurance that will pay if he has it.

It's different because the dog has an owner who is responsible for keeping control of the dog. An adult pedestrian is also liable if they are crossing the street illegally, run into traffic, etc. and get hit. They are responsible for the damage caused to the vehicle. If it's a minor, there are statutory considerations that may prevent the parents from being held liable in some states, in some scenarios. Generally speaking, if a minor runs into traffic, rides their bike into traffic, etc., the parents will be held liable for damage done to the car if the minor is struck.

The reaction of the parents, and of the crowd of onlookers who witnessed this, indicated that a lot of people though that the poor guy driving the car should've just sucked it up and eaten the cost, and that he was an a-hole for not doing so.

Easy to say when it's not your car that has the dog dent in it...

Kevin

Re: Who pays? [Re: Twostick] #2804685
08/03/20 02:17 PM
08/03/20 02:17 PM
PA
P
PLATINUM6BBL Offline
master
PLATINUM6BBL  Offline
master
P

PA
Gotta take emotion out of it and go with what is right - dog owner is responsible for damage.
When our horses got out and made their way through the neighbors yard our homeowners covered for landscaping crew to come out.

1969-1/2 A12 LOH Road Runner A4 w/ M6S
13.34 at 104 PSMCDR 9/06 in Mopar Action 8/07
12.95 at 105.94 F.A.S.T. 11/06
Re: Who pays? [Re: not_a_charger] #2805154
08/04/20 06:58 PM
08/04/20 06:58 PM
East Bay, N. Cal.
calmopar Offline
I Live Here
calmopar  Offline
I Live Here

East Bay, N. Cal.
Cop at scene tries to talk driver out of it 'because of the circumstances."

Wow. Just take the report, pal. He gave them a break by not citing the dog owners for failing to control their pet - I'm sure it's in the muni code. No reason to try and pressure the guy with the car damage to let it go.

Trying to enjoy life!
Page 2 of 2 1 2