07/04/20 03:27 PM
North Carolina
cjskotni Offline OP
pro stock
cjskotni  Offline OP
pro stock

North Carolina
All,

I have bee tinkering with my Charger trying to get some of the long-lived bugs out of it. One thing that has evaded me is getting rid of the horrible off-idle stumble. If I give the car more than half throttle from a stand still, it stumbles....much more and it will jump forward and cut off. Once I am moving I can blip the throttle and she is nice and crisp. This is just an off-idle issue. I swapped out the white cam and (28?) accel nozzle to the red cam and 35 without fixing it. Here are the specs:

- 73 Charger - 500ci engine 10.6:1 compression, mild.483 lift cam, 2500 converter, 727, 3.55 gear, 20* initial timing
- high rise single plane intake + 1/2" spacer
- Holley 4150, 850 cfm vac secondary (single pumper), red cam, 30cc, 35 nozzle

If this is so bad that it cuts off, I feel like I must be a mile away from what it wants. Otherwise runs pretty well. Very crisp at speed and pulls hard - just this annoying bog when you are getting moving.

Any suggestions on what to try next? I just swapped in a 45 nozzle (hollow screw) but it started raining so no testing today. I am hoping somebody here has a similar combo and could give me an idea of where to start.

Thanks in advance! thumbs

Re: Horrible Off Idle Stumble [Re: cjskotni] #2792706
07/04/20 04:51 PM
07/04/20 04:51 PM
A collage of whims
topside Offline
Too Many Posts
topside  Offline
Too Many Posts

A collage of whims
Does the accelerator pump shoot fuel into the primaries IMMEDIATELY when the throttle is cracked open ?
I'd check that adjustment; sounds like enough timing.
#35 sounds like plenty of nozzle, might also try #31 and see what happens.
Also, you can move the pump cam between #1 & #2 positions.
A long time ago I found a chart online that was a graph of pump cams and their feed rates.

Re: Horrible Off Idle Stumble [Re: cjskotni] #2792716
07/04/20 05:46 PM
07/04/20 05:46 PM
Benton, IL.
D
DaveRS23 Offline
Special needs idiot
DaveRS23  Offline
Special needs idiot
D

Benton, IL.
Is there any way you can borrow someone's known good carb for an hour? That will quickly put you on the right track. Just to make sure that the carb IS the problem and not something else.

Master, again and still
Re: Horrible Off Idle Stumble [Re: cjskotni] #2792753
07/04/20 08:05 PM
07/04/20 08:05 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline
I Live Here
TJP  Offline
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Do your mixture screws respond ?? If not you might want to take a look at your off idle transition ports with respect to the primary throttle blade position when off choke and against the idle stop screw

What kind of carb ??. I

Re: Horrible Off Idle Stumble [Re: TJP] #2792842
07/05/20 06:31 AM
07/05/20 06:31 AM
North Carolina
cjskotni Offline OP
pro stock
cjskotni  Offline OP
pro stock

North Carolina
Originally Posted by TJP
Do your mixture screws respond ?? If not you might want to take a look at your off idle transition ports with respect to the primary throttle blade position when off choke and against the idle stop screw

What kind of carb ??. I

Yes, if I turn the screws in, I can kill the motor.

I think I checked the transition ports a while back but are you thinking that I have the idle too high and I'm not on the idle circuit anymore?

It's a Holley 4150 with vac secondaries.

Re: Horrible Off Idle Stumble [Re: DaveRS23] #2792844
07/05/20 06:41 AM
07/05/20 06:41 AM
North Carolina
cjskotni Offline OP
pro stock
cjskotni  Offline OP
pro stock

North Carolina
Originally Posted by DaveRS23
Is there any way you can borrow someone's known good carb for an hour? That will quickly put you on the right track. Just to make sure that the carb IS the problem and not something else.

I always hate to ask this, but what else could it be besides the carburetor??

Re: Horrible Off Idle Stumble [Re: cjskotni] #2792859
07/05/20 08:33 AM
07/05/20 08:33 AM
Washington
M
madscientist Offline
master
madscientist  Offline
master
M

Washington
Originally Posted by cjskotni
All,

I have bee tinkering with my Charger trying to get some of the long-lived bugs out of it. One thing that has evaded me is getting rid of the horrible off-idle stumble. If I give the car more than half throttle from a stand still, it stumbles....much more and it will jump forward and cut off. Once I am moving I can blip the throttle and she is nice and crisp. This is just an off-idle issue. I swapped out the white cam and (28?) accel nozzle to the red cam and 35 without fixing it. Here are the specs:

- 73 Charger - 500ci engine 10.6:1 compression, mild.483 lift cam, 2500 converter, 727, 3.55 gear, 20* initial timing

If this is so bad that it cuts off, I feel like I must be a mile away from what it wants. Otherwise runs pretty well. Very crisp at speed and pulls hard - just this annoying bog when you are getting moving.

Any suggestions on what to try next? I just swapped in a 45 nozzle (hollow screw) but it started raining so no testing today. I am hoping somebody here has a similar combo and could give me an idea of where to start.

First things first. Ditch the red pump cam and use a blue one. Adjust the pump so you use ALL the pump stoke. I never leave .015 at the end of the stroke.

You have a pretty tight converter. It make take a big, short pump shot. That’s what the nozzle controls. The bigger the nozzle (.037 verses .028) the more volume you get and it it’s shorter in duration. The opposite is the smaller nozzle gets less fuel for a longer duration.

You didn’t mention power valve opening, but it’s important. You need to hook a vacuum gauge to manifold vacuum (not ported vacuum like is used for a vacuum advance distributor) and drive the car while monitoring the gauge. See what your vacuum is at a CRUISE and then set your power valve opening by that. I suspect you’ll have 16 or more inches at a cruise. That’s means unless you can find something that opens higher than 10.5 inches, you need a 10.5 power valve.

Do not set your power valve opening by idle vacuum. That’s wrong. Set it by cruise vacuum.

Start with that. As for the accelerator pump...the goal is to use the smallest nozzle that keeps the stumble out of it. If you need say an .045 the that’s what it needs. But, if you can get everything else in shape and you can use say a .033 nozzle without a stumble, that’s what you use. It will be better on fuel mileage and it will drive better.

Just because you think it won't make it true. Horsepower is KING. To dispute this is stupid. C. Alston
Re: Horrible Off Idle Stumble [Re: madscientist] #2792861
07/05/20 08:41 AM
07/05/20 08:41 AM
North Carolina
cjskotni Offline OP
pro stock
cjskotni  Offline OP
pro stock

North Carolina
Originally Posted by madscientist
All,

First things first. Ditch the red pump cam and use a blue one. Adjust the pump so you use ALL the pump stoke. I never leave .015 at the end of the stroke.

You have a pretty tight converter. It make take a big, short pump shot. That’s what the nozzle controls. The bigger the nozzle (.037 verses .028) the more volume you get and it it’s shorter in duration. The opposite is the smaller nozzle gets less fuel for a longer duration.

You didn’t mention power valve opening, but it’s important. You need to hook a vacuum gauge to manifold vacuum (not ported vacuum like is used for a vacuum advance distributor) and drive the car while monitoring the gauge. See what your vacuum is at a CRUISE and then set your power valve opening by that. I suspect you’ll have 16 or more inches at a cruise. That’s means unless you can find something that opens higher than 10.5 inches, you need a 10.5 power valve.

Do not set your power valve opening by idle vacuum. That’s wrong. Set it by cruise vacuum.

Start with that. As for the accelerator pump...the goal is to use the smallest nozzle that keeps the stumble out of it. If you need say an .045 the that’s what it needs. But, if you can get everything else in shape and you can use say a .033 nozzle without a stumble, that’s what you use. It will be better on fuel mileage and it will drive better.

Thanks for the advice. Currently I am running 8.5 PV's which was what the dyno liked years ago on a similar carb.

FWIW - I just took the Charger out with the 45 nozzle and the dead spot is pretty much gone. She spins tires from a standstill - where I used to have to ease into it or it would cut off.

I agree the 45 nozzle seems big. Maybe with the carb being a single pumper (one nozzle) and such a big motor, it really just needs that much fuel?

If it's running well now - should I skip messing with the cam and try a 42 nozzle and see if it still pulls from a standstill?

Re: Horrible Off Idle Stumble [Re: madscientist] #2792944
07/05/20 12:32 PM
07/05/20 12:32 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline
I Live Here
TJP  Offline
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Originally Posted by madscientist

I am by no means challenging you but I was taught and have read to do the opposite IE: set the power valve 1" or so below the lowest vacuum reading in gear. The reasoning was that the power valve could / would otherwise open when idling in gear casing an overly rich mixture. So could you explain the theory / reasoning behind your method ? beer

And to the OP glad you have it on the run smile

Re: Horrible Off Idle Stumble [Re: TJP] #2792947
07/05/20 12:38 PM
07/05/20 12:38 PM
usa
L
lewtot184 Offline
master
lewtot184  Offline
master
L

usa
lazy pump cams and big squirters don't work for light to part throttle tip in. driving on the street vs running on the track require different accelerator pump tuning.

Re: Horrible Off Idle Stumble [Re: cjskotni] #2792949
07/05/20 12:41 PM
07/05/20 12:41 PM
Indiana
Y
YO7_A66 Offline
master
YO7_A66  Offline
master
Y

Indiana
It sounds like you are now running the RED cam and the .045 nozzle. If this fixes it when it is hot outside, then once the temps cool down you will be looking for more of a pump shot. Keep in mind that you need the hollow squirter screw when using above apx the .040 size squirter.

I would test the bigger/longer cam that is ORANGE with your .045 nozzle. If you see black smoke, then go back down in squirter size to around the .035. Then if that .035 works in the hotter air, then you can just put the .045 back in when the temps drop down.
If the ORANGE .045 works good, then you can test the largest of the 30cc cams (BLUE) with the .045's. Work your way up gradually until you get the feel that you are after.

I would also take the advice from above and check your cruise vacuum reading. If is in the mid teens or higher, then I would suggest the 10.5 standard flow PV. If that helps, then there is also the 10.5 High Flow too.

Last edited by YO7_A66; 07/05/20 02:05 PM.

1970 YO7 A66 [Canadian Export] F8 Challenger
340 (Currently in shop for stroker assy.)
Re: Horrible Off Idle Stumble [Re: TJP] #2792975
07/05/20 02:13 PM
07/05/20 02:13 PM
Indiana
Y
YO7_A66 Offline
master
YO7_A66  Offline
master
Y

Indiana
""I am by no means challenging you but I was taught and have read to do the opposite IE: set the power valve 1" or so below the lowest vacuum reading in gear. The reasoning was that the power valve could / would otherwise open when idling in gear casing an overly rich mixture. So could you explain the theory / reasoning behind your method ?""

I will give it a shot.
Can the PV be open at idle? Yes, IF the throttle blades are open enough at idle to get the main circuit started. But the OP said that his metering screws will shut down the engine if they are turned all the way in. So this means that he is still on the idle circuit and not high enough on rpms to get the carb transitioning into the mains. So his PV selection should not be affecting at idle.

1970 YO7 A66 [Canadian Export] F8 Challenger
340 (Currently in shop for stroker assy.)
Re: Horrible Off Idle Stumble [Re: cjskotni] #2793080
07/05/20 06:35 PM
07/05/20 06:35 PM
Rio Linda, CA
John_Kunkel Offline
Too Many Posts
John_Kunkel  Offline
Too Many Posts

Rio Linda, CA
[quote=TJP]

I think I checked the transition ports a while back but are you thinking that I have the idle too high and I'm not on the idle circuit anymore?

Might be time to drill the butterflies and close them more at idle.

The INTERNET, the MISinformation superhighway
Re: Horrible Off Idle Stumble [Re: YO7_A66] #2793091
07/05/20 07:01 PM
07/05/20 07:01 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline
I Live Here
TJP  Offline
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Originally Posted by YO7_A66
""I am by no means challenging you but I was taught and have read to do the opposite IE: set the power valve 1" or so below the lowest vacuum reading in gear. The reasoning was that the power valve could / would otherwise open when idling in gear casing an overly rich mixture. So could you explain the theory / reasoning behind your method ?""

I will give it a shot.
Can the PV be open at idle? Yes, IF the throttle blades are open enough at idle to get the main circuit started. But the OP said that his metering screws will shut down the engine if they are turned all the way in. So this means that he is still on the idle circuit and not high enough on rpms to get the carb transitioning into the mains. So his PV selection should not be affecting at idle.

Please refer to [video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=180&v=mE_xTUXQJQ8&feature=emb_title[/video]

Again not disagreeing nor wanting to start a peeing contest. But per the above holley video is it possible his PV is opening to late causing the stumbling that he is able to overcome with a much larger pump shot ?
And BTW over the years I have read two conflicting methods, # 1. Is as the video states, 1/2 the manifold vacuum at idle in gear. #2 is to select a power valve 1" or so below the lowest vacuum reading in gear. That is what i was taught and have used for the last 45 or so years. shruggy beer

Re: Horrible Off Idle Stumble [Re: TJP] #2793130
07/05/20 08:29 PM
07/05/20 08:29 PM
Benton, IL.
D
DaveRS23 Offline
Special needs idiot
DaveRS23  Offline
Special needs idiot
D

Benton, IL.
This subject has been beat to death on Moparts many times before; the idle vacuum shouldn't have any impact on the selection of the power valve because the power circuit should not see any vacuum at idle. If the power circuit is seeing vacuum at idle then something is wrong and needs addressed. At least in most cases.

I agree with the position that the cruise vacuum is much more important when choosing the opening point for the power valve. I often use 9.5 or 10.5 power valves. Our engines are not near as picky about an early opening PV as they are about a late opening one. Late opening PVs can cause all kinds of driving problems, while early opening ones rarely, if ever, cause any.

And while I am sure that all the suggestions here are well intentioned, many of them are frankly not something that the OP probably should be attempting until he has more experience modifying carbs.

twocents

Master, again and still
Re: Horrible Off Idle Stumble [Re: DaveRS23] #2793335
07/06/20 11:28 AM
07/06/20 11:28 AM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline
I Live Here
TJP  Offline
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Sorry that was the wrong video link
[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&time_continue=180&v=mE_xTUXQJQ8&feature=emb_title[/video]

And I'll just say that the subject is similar to do I run ported or manifold vacuum for the vacuum advance ? beer

Re: Horrible Off Idle Stumble [Re: TJP] #2793435
07/06/20 02:06 PM
07/06/20 02:06 PM
Benton, IL.
D
DaveRS23 Offline
Special needs idiot
DaveRS23  Offline
Special needs idiot
D

Benton, IL.
I'll start by saying that this opinion is aimed at primarily street oriented cars. Not necessarily stock, but not particularly radical either. What it seems the OP has.

Personally, I have not seen a situation where dialing in the proper amount of initial advance in the distributor would not work and using manifold vacuum would. I will never say never on this kind of stuff, but I have sure re-curved a bunch of distributors over the years and then moved the vacuum back to being ported. Every one of those situations has been that the one who put the vacuum source to the manifold did not attempt (or maybe know how) to properly curve the distributor.

There is nothing wrong with using manifold vacuum, but it is usually (not always but usually) a band-aid covering up an improper distributor curve. Same as throwing more or an earlier accel pump shot to cover up a poorly chosen, late opening power valve.

In that context, I agree that there are similarities in the topics.

twocents

Master, again and still
Re: Horrible Off Idle Stumble [Re: cjskotni] #2793481
07/06/20 03:20 PM
07/06/20 03:20 PM
Oh
P
parksr5 Offline
super stock
parksr5  Offline
super stock
P

Oh
I have a similar motor to yours. A little bit bigger cam, 470ci and a Holley 850 street HP.

I had the same issues as you when I put it all together. I eventually had to go up to 50cc accelerator pumps diaphragms, a 37 pump squirter in the front and a 39 in the rear. Everyone told me that I shouldn't have that big of squirters in it but, that's what it liked and that's what it took to get it happy. After that, the fuel map was right everywhere.

I eventually put a better set of heads on it and the problem returned and I could not tune the stumble out of it with pump nozzles and cams. I sent the carb to a well know carb tuner and he too said that I should not have that big of squirters and that 30cc diaphragms and smaller squirters would suffice. When I got the carb back from him, it ran worst than it's ever run. I called him and began doing what I'd done before but, I eventually had to put the 50cc diaphragms back on it and bigger pump squirters. He did other emulsion work on the carb, which was the saving grace. I messed with the idle bleeds, high speed bleeds and a bunch of other stuff but, I still have not gotten the carb to do exactly what I want it to, it needs some more work. WOT is great, idle could be better but, my light cruise sucks.

Ultimately, what I'm trying to convey to you is don't be afraid to throw all types of pump shot at it. I don't care what people think should be on anyone's car. If you're running it on a dyno, with a wide-band or know how to read plugs really well and the AFR's are what they should be, than that's what the car wants. If than means 49 pump nozzles front and back and 50cc accelerator pumps, than so be it. I'm not saying it's right but, there is more than one way to skin a cat. If your fuel map looks awesome, then who cares what it took to get there. The car doesn't know the difference.

Re: Horrible Off Idle Stumble [Re: cjskotni] #2793520
07/06/20 04:55 PM
07/06/20 04:55 PM
Benton, IL.
D
DaveRS23 Offline
Special needs idiot
DaveRS23  Offline
Special needs idiot
D

Benton, IL.
Originally Posted by DaveRS23

I always hate to ask this, but what else could it be besides the carburetor??

I missed this question until just now. So..................The first thing I always do is throw a lot more lead in the timing. Our big blocks respond to early advance like no other engine I have ever worked on. With 500", 3.55 gears and 2,500 converter, I would put in as much initial as the starter will pull. 25* or more as long as it will start hot. And then, get the rest in by 2,000 +/-. This is more effective the bigger the cam, but is always a good idea even on nearly stock motors. Even if that turns out to not be a big part of your problem, it will still pull the lower RPMs much better. And might just do the trick for your bog, too.

The stock curve is a very conservative one to allow for less talented operators to be less likely to hurt something. Much of these kind of things were designed with warranty and engine safety in mind, more so than peak performance. The stock curves are ALWAYS too conservative. Just like most cruise ratios are too fat. Safety first.

Only after getting the ignition curve dialed in, should you start opening up the carb. And just an FYI, the transitions in the carb are the absolute most difficult area to get right. Mainly because you have as many as 3 circuits coming and going at the same time. Even if they were all in the right range of mixture, their timing to each other could be off enough to cause a problem. Usually, if a carb has real problems in the transitions, it is tough for the typical guy to get right. Which is one of the main reasons so many guys pin their hopes on plug and pray EFI. They expect it to tune itself. And sometimes it does.

The key to picking the right carb out of the many, many choices out there is to get one with a tune in it that is as close as possible to being right for the particular combo it's going on. That way, a guy doesn't have as far to go to get it right. The farther away a carb is from being good with the combo it's going on, the more changes and circuits that will have to be experimented with. Just look at the varied suggestions in this thread already.

Ideally, a guy needs to determine his CFM desires and them try several carbs with different calibrations in them to see what his combo likes. Street calibration, race calibration, in between, vacuum sec., mech. sec., what boosters does it like, and on and on...................... Which is part of the reason I suggested borrowing another known good carb. If it does better, you have a better handle on the tune that the combo likes. And buying another carb (as long as it works) can be a bunch better than trying to re-calibrate a carb that has the wrong tune to start with.

I guess other than suggesting starting with the timing curve, the other point I would like to make is it is much, much better for most guys to find the carb closest to what his combo likes, rather than try to re-calibrate a carb with the wrong tune.

That's what I think anyway. scope

Master, again and still
Re: Horrible Off Idle Stumble [Re: lewtot184] #2793540
07/06/20 05:25 PM
07/06/20 05:25 PM
North Carolina
cjskotni Offline OP
pro stock
cjskotni  Offline OP
pro stock

North Carolina
Originally Posted by lewtot184
lazy pump cams and big squirters don't work for light to part throttle tip in. driving on the street vs running on the track require different accelerator pump tuning.

So are you saying the red cam + 45 nozzle isn't a good choice for a street car? If that's true what would you suggest? A more aggressive cam and smaller nozzle?

Page 1 of 2 1 2