Maine
P
Pkeel Offline OP
mopar
Pkeel  Offline OP
mopar
P

Maine
I have a 1948 Dodge Powerwagon and the Speedometer doesn't work. I have a few coming from Ebay, one to use and two to use as parts.

Does anyone have any experience with this? I looked online for tutorials or any kind of help, but it doesn't seem to be covered very well.

I am hoping to do it myself, but if it looks like I am getting in over my head, I will just have to send it off.

Re: Speedometer rebuild [Re: Pkeel] #2794518
07/08/20 09:36 PM
07/08/20 09:36 PM
Maine
P
Pkeel Offline OP
mopar
Pkeel  Offline OP
mopar
P

Maine
Update for those interested.

The speedometer I got in functioned, but it was only barely. I was able to pull it all apart.

I used some WD-40 to soak the stiff parts and it helped immensely. I cleaned the numbers with a little bit of bleach and water solution.

I was even able to put it back together and when i turn it by hand it functions nice and smoothly. I will put a little grease on the worm gears and the gears they drive before sealing it back up.

I will need to paint a couple of pieces, but that shouldn't be difficult.

In putting this one together, I can see how badly broken the old one was. There was a spring missing, the numbers were frozen in place, the worm gear did not turn at all and the speedometer part is also almost completely locked in place.

I am happy with the result.