06/21/20 06:05 PM
06/21/20 06:05 PM
Between Houston & Galveston TX
SattyNoCar Offline OP
Smarter than no class Flappergass by a mile
SattyNoCar  Offline OP

I finally found a place to work on and store my wagon. The unit is essentially what you would find in most larger storage facilities, but its brand new and was set up with the intentions of people setting up 'shops' or businesses.

The wagon itself will be insured, but what about the space? Is it worth the time/money/effort to insure it, or should I just not worry about it as long as the wagon is covered?

Suggestions?

Thanks.

John

The dream is dead, long live the dream.......😥
Re: 'Workshop' insurance? [Re: SattyNoCar] #2787868
06/21/20 07:11 PM
06/21/20 07:11 PM
Central Michigan
N
nuthinbutmopar Offline
super stock
nuthinbutmopar  Offline
super stock
N

Central Michigan
Generally, your personal property is covered on your homeowners/renters insurance polic, regardless of it’s location. I had a trailer sitting at friend’s shop. It was broken in to, ass was hi shop. His insurance covere him, my homeowner’s covered my stuff. Just make sure your policy coverage amount is high enough.

Re: 'Workshop' insurance? [Re: SattyNoCar] #2787870
06/21/20 07:13 PM
06/21/20 07:13 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
Not clear to me, is this a purchase or a leased space situation?
Additionally, what of value of yours besides the car is inside the space?
Are you likely to "harm" the space or others nearby in your use of this space, and need liability insurance for your protection?
Not hearing enough yet any insurance beyond the car is financially prudent. twocents

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: 'Workshop' insurance? [Re: jcc] #2787875
06/21/20 07:35 PM
06/21/20 07:35 PM
SattyNoCar Offline OP
SattyNoCar  Offline OP

Originally Posted by jcc
Not clear to me, is this a purchase or a leased space situation? Month to month lease
Additionally, what of value of yours besides the car is inside the space? Tools and parts
Are you likely to "harm" the space or others nearby in your use of this space, and need liability insurance for your protection? Being that the units are connected, something 'could' happen because of me (not intentionally of course). Also thinking in terms of damage from possible storms.
Not hearing enough yet any insurance beyond the car is financially prudent. twocents

And just to add, I'm not a homeowner, so I don't have a homeowners policy.

Anything else?

John

The dream is dead, long live the dream.......😥
Re: 'Workshop' insurance? [Re: SattyNoCar] #2787878
06/21/20 07:44 PM
06/21/20 07:44 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline
I Live Here
TJP  Offline
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
maybe renters insurance to cover tools etc shruggy

Re: 'Workshop' insurance? [Re: SattyNoCar] #2787880
06/21/20 07:46 PM
06/21/20 07:46 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
Well understand your liability here is IMO directly proportional to your wealth, beyond the value of your homestead, being your home is often immune from satisfying a lawsuit, and the greater your wealth, the more lucrative target you are for personal injury lawyers. Your biggest liability here concerns for example is more slip and falls of visitors on an oil spill, liquid flammable spills from stored liquids, negligent fires like battery chargers left on over a weekend, paint fumes/sprays, grinding/sanding dusts, rodents from any stored food, electrical overloads, building abuse like hoisting an engine from an under rated roof rafter, etc Stay away from these typical risks, and save your insurance premiums for needed car parts, IMO.

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: 'Workshop' insurance? [Re: nuthinbutmopar] #2788846
06/24/20 02:45 PM
06/24/20 02:45 PM
Utah and Alaska
astjp2 Offline
master
astjp2  Offline
master

Utah and Alaska
Originally Posted by nuthinbutmopar
Generally, your personal property is covered on your homeowners/renters insurance polic, regardless of it’s location. I had a trailer sitting at friend’s shop. It was broken in to, ass was hi shop. His insurance covere him, my homeowner’s covered my stuff. Just make sure your policy coverage amount is high enough.

Doesnt apply to commercial spaces....you may need commercial insurance due to city/county/leasing requirements.

1941 Taylorcraft
1968 Charger
1994 Wrangler
1998 Wrangler
2008 Kia Rio
2017 Jetta

I didn't do 4 years and 9 months of Graduate School to be called Mister!
Re: 'Workshop' insurance? [Re: astjp2] #2789038
06/24/20 11:45 PM
06/24/20 11:45 PM
Freeport IL USA
poorboy Offline
I Live Here
poorboy  Offline
I Live Here

Freeport IL USA
Originally Posted by astjp2
Originally Posted by nuthinbutmopar

Doesnt apply to commercial spaces....you may need commercial insurance due to city/county/leasing requirements.

And you will probably need a business license to buy commercial insurance, then they expect to be able to charge you 10% of the business' gross annual income and if that is not enough, they will not cover you. Commercial insurance is a whole new mess, if you don't have to buy it to satisfy the building owner, I sure wouldn't. Gene