06/16/20 06:27 PM
06/16/20 06:27 PM
Taxes & Virus's R-US, NY
Dragula Offline OP
I Live Here
Dragula  Offline OP
I Live Here

Taxes & Virus's R-US, NY
The wiring in my Cuda is a mess and it needs an update this coming winter......

1. Is it worth the cost?
2. How reliable is it?
3. Do you change stuff or reconfig it yourself?
4. How did you justify it?

I recently put a Sniper Stealth 4500 in the car AND a Holley pro dash....The sins of +40 years of crappy wiring are really killing me,,,,,The whole car needs re-wired as I plan on switching to LED lights as well.

'70 Cuda,...605 EFI Hemi Street Car (6.20 best pass, 1.33 60ft)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYw6RA-k5Bk (6.25 at 108.75mph from inside car)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zQEb9uxFng (6.25 at 108mph from outside car)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCvfzsC4NgM (9.9)

'66 Barracuda AWB Stretched nose Blown 440 Car in build stage

'71 Duster Drag Car 400 Low Deck 512 best 6.002 at 115.44mph
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Znuo3jMUXTk
Re: SmartWire, Anyone use it? [Re: Dragula] #2786195
06/17/20 12:01 AM
06/17/20 12:01 AM
back in Georgia
dthemi Offline
master
dthemi  Offline
master

back in Georgia
They are techno cool with all the programmable freedom to select amperage limits, auto recycle, ect. However, trouble shooting in a time crunch is really tough. Personally on a race car, I think it's added complexity for no gain. I'm a sucker for gadgets, so this one was a hard to say no to. I've talked to a bunch of guys running them. The reports of love it, or hate it, have one common complaint. Tracing a malfunction takes too long, and the time to recycle stuff can bite you when you hear X come on, but shuts down after X time without you knowing it, as it cycles over and over in fault. A to B, the fuse blows, or opens the breaker, you know there's a problem.

All my recent cars I've had professionally wired because I don't have time, and even less desire to wire anything. There is one thing I would like to do before I'm too old, and senile to do. I'd like to wire a car with NO relays of any kind. Everything save the starter would be on 30amp switches off a buss bar, individually breaker fused, all in a row. I'd even do a manual/mechanical foot rod for the starter like old stuff without the solenoid.

Bad relays, broken switches, bad solenoids, all have cost me rounds at one point or the other. Would be ugly, and antiquated, but I bet the bast*rd would always work, at least electrically.

Re: SmartWire, Anyone use it? [Re: dthemi] #2786306
06/17/20 11:16 AM
06/17/20 11:16 AM
Las Vegas
Al_Alguire Offline
I Live Here
Al_Alguire  Offline
I Live Here

Las Vegas
This is all I will say. If you get one, you better get two and keep the spare in the trailer.

Darren when I got my RJ car it had no relays, no fuses, and no breakers anywhere on it. Guess that's just extra weight and if a wire melts pretty easy to see smile This was Ricks personal car.

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."

"It's never wrong to do the right thing"
Re: SmartWire, Anyone use it? [Re: Al_Alguire] #2786313
06/17/20 11:33 AM
06/17/20 11:33 AM
Portage,michigan
B
B3422W5 Offline
I Live Here
B3422W5  Offline
I Live Here
B

Portage,michigan
Had my car professionally rewired winter before last.
I dont think i am exaggerating to say its probably the smartest thing, nicest upgrade to an old car i have ever done.
Neat, tidy,couple xtra features i had him add( put a nice light in trunk for adding fuel at night, added bump buttons to do valves under hood, etc, etc...raced car all last year, even on nights going rounds( including a win) running fan and waterpump between rounds to keep car at my desired temp entering the water box, never one time all season needed to charge the battery( 1 wire alt) car starts like its 16 volts, everything runs faster, better.... just a HUGE upgrade.
great going to the track without a battery charger, or worrying will it start in the lanes after a few rounds. Peace of mind.
Had 1600 bucks in it, that included a new MSD box and all the materials. Headlights, taillights, brake lights, turn signals, you name it... everything works.
He put relays across fan, water pump and fuel pump

Last edited by B3422W5; 06/17/20 11:40 AM.

69 Dart GTS A4 Silver All steel, flat factory hood, 3360race weight
418 BPE factory replacement headed stroker, 565 lift solid cam
Best so far, 10.40 @127 1/4
1.41 best 60 foot
6.60 at 103.90 1/8

Re: SmartWire, Anyone use it? [Re: B3422W5] #2786349
06/17/20 12:28 PM
06/17/20 12:28 PM
Taxes & Virus's R-US, NY
Dragula Offline OP
I Live Here
Dragula  Offline OP
I Live Here

Taxes & Virus's R-US, NY
Originally Posted by B3422W5
I dont think i am exaggerating to say its probably the smartest thing, nicest upgrade to an old car i have ever done.
Neat, tidy,couple xtra features i had him add( put a nice light in trunk for adding fuel at night, added bump buttons to do valves under hood, etc, etc...raced car all last year, even on nights going rounds( including a win) running fan and waterpump between rounds to keep car at my desired temp entering the water box, never one time all season needed to charge the battery( 1 wire alt) car starts like its 16 volts, everything runs faster, better.... just a HUGE upgrade.
great going to the track without a battery charger, or worrying will it start in the lanes after a few rounds. Peace of mind.
Had 1600 bucks in it, that included a new MSD box and all the materials. Headlights, taillights, brake lights, turn signals, you name it... everything works.

That's what my junk needs, but it is also a street car, so it has headlights, interior lights, license plate light, horn, bump button under the hood, blinkers, running lights, fuel cell level.....I have a pile of stuff. At the price you paid to have it done, I would love that.....Do you have any pics of the wiring or relays? Who did you use? I am looking for someone out my way preferably.

Re: SmartWire, Anyone use it? [Re: Dragula] #2786434
06/17/20 02:46 PM
06/17/20 02:46 PM
Las Vegas
Al_Alguire Offline
I Live Here
Al_Alguire  Offline
I Live Here

Las Vegas
FWIW I use Speedwire stuff now and love it..

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."

"It's never wrong to do the right thing"
Re: SmartWire, Anyone use it? [Re: Al_Alguire] #2786676
06/18/20 07:37 AM
06/18/20 07:37 AM
Tulsa OK
Bad340fish Offline
master
Bad340fish  Offline
master

Tulsa OK
I kept my stock wiring for my car to run lights and wipers, nothing else. With the charging system and engine management stuff running on all new stuff the stock lights and wipers all work great off the original wiring.

I am not sure the capabilities of the EFI system you are using but mine runs everything related to the engine and then some. My car only has three switches, Ignition, starter button, and line lock. The EFI handles Electric water pump, 2 fans, 2 fuel pumps, and of course all the normal EFI stuff and Data logging. I used to think all the switches were cool, but no switches is cooler lol.

68 Barracuda Formula S 340
Re: SmartWire, Anyone use it? [Re: Dragula] #2786713
06/18/20 09:39 AM
06/18/20 09:39 AM
Portage,michigan
B
B3422W5 Offline
I Live Here
B3422W5  Offline
I Live Here
B

Portage,michigan
Originally Posted by Dragula

That's what my junk needs, but it is also a street car, so it has headlights, interior lights, license plate light, horn, bump button under the hood, blinkers, running lights, fuel cell level.....I have a pile of stuff. At the price you paid to have it done, I would love that.....Do you have any pics of the wiring or relays? Who did you use? I am looking for someone out my way preferably.

Sorry, dont have any pictures handy. Drive mine on the street too. Dome light, everything works, even cigarette lighter plug so i can charge cellphone, etc
Guy who did it is a former local racer. Retired General Motors electrical engineer. He used a Rebel wire kit as a base
He is just south of Grand Rapids, Mi... 45 minutes North of me.
I didnt personally know him. I researched a bit, found Rebel wire, looked up the nearest distributor near me. Asked the guy if he knew anybody that did installs. That is when i got this guys name. We have since become good friends
Edit.... looked up list of dealers, one in NY state but its down by the city....

1.41 best 60 foot
6.60 at 103.90 1/8

Re: SmartWire, Anyone use it? [Re: B3422W5] #2786776
06/18/20 12:38 PM
06/18/20 12:38 PM
Taxes & Virus's R-US, NY
Dragula Offline OP
I Live Here
Dragula  Offline OP
I Live Here

Taxes & Virus's R-US, NY

Sorry, dont have any pictures handy. Drive mine on the street too. Dome light, everything works, even cigarette lighter plug so i can charge cellphone, etc
Guy who did it is a former local racer. Retired General Motors electrical engineer. He used a Rebel wire kit as a base
I didnt personally know him. I researched a bit, found Rebel wire, looked up the nearest distributor near me. Asked the guy if he knew anybody that did installs. That is when i got this guys name. We have since become good friends
Edit.... looked up list of dealers, one in NY state but its down by the city....

Yeah I saw his name when I did a search, and man that is right in the city....Not going there unfortunetly,

Re: SmartWire, Anyone use it? [Re: Dragula] #2786885
06/18/20 04:22 PM
06/18/20 04:22 PM
Portage,michigan
B
B3422W5 Offline
I Live Here
B3422W5  Offline
I Live Here
B

Portage,michigan

Yeah I saw his name when I did a search, and man that is right in the city....Not going there unfortunetly,

Try Jan Cen motorsports near you. Think they are a painless wiring dealer. Might give you some good info

1.41 best 60 foot
6.60 at 103.90 1/8

Re: SmartWire, Anyone use it? [Re: Al_Alguire] #2787390
06/20/20 12:18 PM
06/20/20 12:18 PM
back in Georgia
dthemi Offline
master
dthemi  Offline
master

back in Georgia
Originally Posted by Al_Alguire
FWIW I use Speedwire stuff now and love it..

I'm on speedwire in all cars now too. Best wiring money I've spent. I have my 67 cuda being wired at RK right now. Speedwire, and grid controlled MSD 600 cnp.

Speedwire is for sure the best system I've seen so far.