06/15/20 10:13 PM
06/15/20 10:13 PM
Willow Grove PA
71sat440 Offline OP
I Live Here
71sat440  Offline OP
I Live Here

Willow Grove PA
Someone please help if you know about air compressors, warning, long. So I have a Campbell Hausfield compressor from around 96 for home use. Its a 60 gallon upright from a tractor supply.

Had problem with my compressor shutting off, so I replaced the valve at the bottom of the copper tube where it meets the top of tank and it worked for a long time.

The tube started to get hot so I replaced it (the valve) again thinking I got a bad one. Still had problems and replaced the pressure switch.

Seemed to be okay for a few months till I worked it a long time and was under my car when I heard something fall, the plastic air cleaner melted off the head, and the tube was cherry red again. Motor made noises so I bought a new one from master tool repair, their updated universal motors do not have a dedicated unloader line like the original so they sell you a brass T connector, so the unloader line comes off off the head at in the same fitting that the main tube to fill the air.
I broke it in with the mobil 1 oil the suggested, it ran fine with no load (valve open at the bottom so no pressure) for over a half hour.

Problem is the first time I used it the unloader line (the one they give you is vinyl or plastic) melted at the head and blew off.

I thought maybe I did something wrong and bought a new line and just installed it, the tank only ran for maybe 10 minutes, I put my hand near the fitting at the head and could feel the heat coming off, and a few seconds later it blew off again. What am I overlooking to constantly get failure after failure?

Re: Air compressor help needed. [Re: 71sat440] #2785877
06/15/20 10:36 PM
06/15/20 10:36 PM
Phila
P
PhillyRag Offline
top fuel
PhillyRag  Offline
top fuel
P

Phila
Originally Posted by 71sat440
Someone please help if you know about air compressors, warning, long. So I have a Campbell Hausfield compressor from around 96 for home use. Its a 60 gallon upright from a tractor supply.

Had problem with my compressor shutting off, so I replaced the valve at the bottom of the copper tube where it meets the top of tank and it worked for a long time. Those valves have special high temp disc to withstand the heat

The tube started to get hot so I replaced it (the valve) again thinking I got a bad one. Still had problems and replaced the pressure switch.
Inlet tubes do get hot. Being copper will conduct heat from head way down to the tank valve. But geez they should not be "cheery red".

Seemed to be okay for a few months till I worked it a long time and was under my car when I heard something fall, the plastic air cleaner melted off the head, and the tube was cherry red again.
What is the set-off pressure set for?
Motor made noises so I bought a new one from master tool repair, their updated universal motors do not have a dedicated unloader line like the original so they sell you a brass T connector, so the unloader line comes off off the head at in the same fitting that the main tube to fill the air.
I broke it in with the mobil 1 oil the suggested, it ran fine with no load (valve open at the bottom so no pressure) for over a half hour.

Problem is the first time I used it the unloader line (the one they give you is vinyl or plastic) melted at the head and blew off.
No air lines on a compressor should be plastic. Copper is best, alum. suitable.

I thought maybe I did something wrong and bought a new line and just installed it, the tank only ran for maybe 10 minutes, I put my hand near the fitting at the head and could feel the heat coming off, and a few seconds later it blew off again. What am I overlooking to constantly get failure after failure?
Some pics would be helpful to those viewing

Re: Air compressor help needed. [Re: PhillyRag] #2785906
06/16/20 12:10 AM
06/16/20 12:10 AM
Willow Grove PA
71sat440 Offline OP
I Live Here
71sat440  Offline OP
I Live Here

Willow Grove PA
Here is a link to an auction for the model I have. https://www.purplewave.com/auction/...2400AJ-Compressors-Air_Compressor-Kansas

The difference you can see the two copper lines on the original set up coming off the head. The smaller one to the pressure switch.

This is the replacement motor they sent me.
https://mastertoolrepair.com/statio...vt558705-vt558801-vt559501-p-747201.html

This is the line they tell you to use since the newer motor only has one hole exiting the head.
https://mastertoolrepair.com/compression-adaptor-kit-ctd1238adaptkit-p-1323717.html

Re: Air compressor help needed. [Re: 71sat440] #2785933
06/16/20 09:09 AM
06/16/20 09:09 AM
Ontario, Canada
S
Stanton Offline
Don't question me!
Stanton  Offline
Don't question me!
S

Ontario, Canada
I have the same compressor and it probably came off the line about the time yours did.

That large copper line can be expected to get hot - not only is it connected right to the head but the cylinder generates heat. Also keep in mind that like an engine, that is the "exhaust" line. Ok, its not burning fuel but the friction and compression of the air generates heat. What you have is normal.

As for the melting line - easily solved. Go to a hydraulics supply shop and buy the hi-temp line - its black. Problem solved.

Just re-read your post ... CH no longer make that top valve BUT there is a guy on Ebay who makes them just like the original. He sells them under the original part number. One of those valves will solve your issues as it has all the proper connections and it works as it should.

As for "two lines coming off the head" - this wrong. The pressure switch has to run off of tank pressure - not cylinder pressure. So it has to connect to the large brass valve on the top of the tank. That may be why yours ran so long it melted the air filter!!

Last edited by Stanton; 06/16/20 09:21 AM.
Re: Air compressor help needed. [Re: Stanton] #2786140
06/16/20 08:35 PM
06/16/20 08:35 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
jcc  Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
J

Bitopia
Actually, I think the line is made of copper ( at much greater cost then steel) intentionally, to act as a super cheap aftercooler of the compressed air, since copper thermally conducts so much better. So getting hot is a good sign, cherry red, I have no idea what is going on, unless the cooling flywheel is not moving air for some reason.

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.