Bend,OR USA
C
Cab_Burge Offline
I Win
Cab_Burge  Offline
I Win
C

Bend,OR USA
if you want hassle free performance from your combination you need to buy all the good parts in the valve train with the correct spring pressure and oil the spring good enough, full time oiling, and check the lash several times while all the parts wear in and then check it if it makes noise or twice a year twocents scope
I use lash caps, Harland Sharp full roller rocker arms, Manton series 3 or 5 pushrods and PAC valve springs, I have all my BB solid roller cam #4 cam journal groove so it oils the rockers full time up I had to learn that the block will need a .040 to .060 size oil restrictor in the feed to the rocker shafts also to not flood the top end and or make the oil level in the oil pan to low for racing, depending on how big your oil pan is, stock or after market.
IHTHs

Mr.Cab Racing and winning with Mopars since 1964. (Old F--t, Huh)
Re: So you think Morel lifters are the best? [Re: Guitar Jones] #2780688
06/02/20 12:38 PM
06/02/20 12:38 PM
Las Vegas
Al_Alguire Offline
I Live Here
Al_Alguire  Offline
I Live Here

Las Vegas
My bad, they make SB and BB drop ins. Anyone looking to go this route these seem to be the best

https://www.johnsonlifters.com/Products/HydraulicRollerLifters.aspx

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."

"It's never wrong to do the right thing"
Re: So you think Morel lifters are the best? [Re: Al_Alguire] #2780727
06/02/20 02:06 PM
06/02/20 02:06 PM
Windsor, ON, Canada
D
Diplomat360 Offline
top fuel
Diplomat360  Offline
top fuel
D

Windsor, ON, Canada
Originally Posted by Al_Alguire
My bad, they make SB and BB drop ins. Anyone looking to go this route these seem to be the best

https://www.johnsonlifters.com/Products/HydraulicRollerLifters.aspx

Nice....even the short-travel option is available for a SB Mopar...yey!

Re: So you think Morel lifters are the best? [Re: Cab_Burge] #2780735
06/02/20 02:18 PM
06/02/20 02:18 PM
Windsor, ON, Canada
D
Diplomat360 Offline
top fuel
Diplomat360  Offline
top fuel
D

Windsor, ON, Canada
Cab_Burge,

Originally Posted by Cab_Burge
...correct spring pressure and oil the spring good enough, full time oiling...Harland Sharp full roller rocker arms...I have all my BB solid roller cam #4 cam journal groove so it oils the rockers full time up I had to learn that the block will need a .040 to .060 size oil restrictor in the feed to the rocker shafts also to not flood the top end and or make the oil level in the oil pan to low for racing, depending on how big your oil pan is, stock or after market.
IHTHs

So I've gotta ask b/c I'm struggling with the spring oiling aspect on my SB W2 setup.

I purchased the 1.6 ratio rockers from HS. When they came in I noticed a lack of an oil-feed/spray passage from the rocker to the spring, my thinking being: cool them things down with oil!

Well, I called HS and the gentlemen I spoke with said "no worries, there is plenty enough splash lubrication there", OK, but in my setup I'm talking a street/trip ride, so hardly a limitted and feverish 1/4 mile pass at a time.

He acknowledged my point, but said that after thousands of sets sold he hasn't had any problems with them even in regulat street use. In fact he advised that I may have to consider restricting the oil feed given that these are roller rockers (shaft section) and too much oil here just turns into a wide-open leak. The person I spoke with was Chris I think, but I'm not 100% certain, he was super nice and gave me all the time I needed to just come to grips with this setup. Still, some time later as I'm finally starting the motor assembly I am worried about this.

As we prepped my W2 heads we actually put in a thread on the oil-feed passage from the block so that I can easily toss in a restrictor into this spot (if need be) w/o having to take anything else apart.

So in your config, given that you already use a restrictor, how exactly are you getting a reasonable amount of full-time oil feed to the springs?

I'm not expecting a steady oil gush over these things, but w/o some sort of feed passage pointing at them how will they get any oil?

Re: So you think Morel lifters are the best? [Re: Diplomat360] #2780744
06/02/20 02:30 PM
06/02/20 02:30 PM
in a cattle trailer down by th...
G
Guitar Jones Offline OP
Paddle faster! I hear banjo music!
Guitar Jones  Offline OP
G

I had HS rockers on my W5's. No problem oiling the springs but if you want to visualize it, start the engine without the rocker covers on it.

"Follow me the wise man said, but he walked behind"

'92 D250 Club Cab CTD, 47RH conversion, pump tweaks, injectors, rear disc and hydroboost conversion.
'74 W200 Crew Cab 360, NV4500, D44, D60 and NP205 divorced transfer case. Rear disc and hydroboost coming soon!
2019 1500 Long Horn Crew Cab 4WD, 5.7 Hemi.
Re: So you think Morel lifters are the best? [Re: Diplomat360] #2780792
06/02/20 04:01 PM
06/02/20 04:01 PM
Tulsa OK
Bad340fish Offline
master
Bad340fish  Offline
master

Tulsa OK
Originally Posted by Diplomat360
Cab_Burge,

Originally Posted by Cab_Burge
...correct spring pressure and oil the spring good enough, full time oiling...Harland Sharp full roller rocker arms...I have all my BB solid roller cam #4 cam journal groove so it oils the rockers full time up I had to learn that the block will need a .040 to .060 size oil restrictor in the feed to the rocker shafts also to not flood the top end and or make the oil level in the oil pan to low for racing, depending on how big your oil pan is, stock or after market.
IHTHs

So I've gotta ask b/c I'm struggling with the spring oiling aspect on my SB W2 setup.

I purchased the 1.6 ratio rockers from HS. When they came in I noticed a lack of an oil-feed/spray passage from the rocker to the spring, my thinking being: cool them things down with oil!

Well, I called HS and the gentlemen I spoke with said "no worries, there is plenty enough splash lubrication there", OK, but in my setup I'm talking a street/trip ride, so hardly a limitted and feverish 1/4 mile pass at a time.

He acknowledged my point, but said that after thousands of sets sold he hasn't had any problems with them even in regulat street use. In fact he advised that I may have to consider restricting the oil feed given that these are roller rockers (shaft section) and too much oil here just turns into a wide-open leak. The person I spoke with was Chris I think, but I'm not 100% certain, he was super nice and gave me all the time I needed to just come to grips with this setup. Still, some time later as I'm finally starting the motor assembly I am worried about this.

As we prepped my W2 heads we actually put in a thread on the oil-feed passage from the block so that I can easily toss in a restrictor into this spot (if need be) w/o having to take anything else apart.

So in your config, given that you already use a restrictor, how exactly are you getting a reasonable amount of full-time oil feed to the springs?

I'm not expecting a steady oil gush over these things, but w/o some sort of feed passage pointing at them how will they get any oil?

I run HS rockers on W2s on a street engine with a .650ish lift solid roller and a comp endurance spring. I haven't had any issues with springs in the 5 or 6 thousand miles it has been together. My cam is grooved so it oils full time with no restriction. Just FYI.

68 Barracuda Formula S 340
Re: So you think Morel lifters are the best? [Re: Guitar Jones] #2781309
06/04/20 08:51 AM
06/04/20 08:51 AM
G
Guitar Jones Offline OP
Guitar Jones  Offline OP
G

Originally Posted by Guitar Jones
So Hughes has overnighted another pair of lifters to me at no charge. For all the bashing I've seen of Hughes here and in other places I can't say they haven't been good to me. I'll report back when I get them and test them for myself.

So after a mistake in shipping on Monday Hughes overnighted me another set on Tuesday. Yeah they screwed up but they did what they could do to correct it, so no issues with Hughes and this pair of lifters work fine. But for some reason I have a dead hole (#7) now. So now a leak down and/or compression test is on the horizon to see if I'll be pulling that head back off. I know I should have checked the heads better than I did. For some reason I just can't throw junk together and have it work like some others I know. laugh2

'92 D250 Club Cab CTD, 47RH conversion, pump tweaks, injectors, rear disc and hydroboost conversion.
'74 W200 Crew Cab 360, NV4500, D44, D60 and NP205 divorced transfer case. Rear disc and hydroboost coming soon!
Re: So you think Morel lifters are the best? [Re: Guitar Jones] #2781368
06/04/20 12:43 PM
06/04/20 12:43 PM
G
Guitar Jones Offline OP
Guitar Jones  Offline OP
G

All fixed now and it runs good. I didn't check the preload on every lifter and the 2 on #7 cylinder were bottoming out the lifter .080-.085 preload my ass. They must be fairly short travel lifters. I checked it using air pressure first without the rockers on and then with them on. It leaked through both the intake and exhaust. I had some .022 brass stock so I made 4 shims to put 2 under each rocker and it works great and runs well. Yeah adjustable rockers would have taken care of that but with 170,000 mile heads on it now I couldn't justify spending that money on junk. Hopefully it will last until I kick the bucket or can't drive anymore. laugh2
So the Morel of the story is, blow air through them to make sure they will oil and about .045 preload is all you need.

Page 2 of 2 1 2