H
hemienvy Online content OP
super stock
hemienvy  Online Content OP
super stock
H

Washington
I gather that picking a T-bar should depend somewhat on front end weight,
although it is subjective on what you want the car to do, to feel like.

In theory the shock should work in tandem with that T-bar, spring and damper.

So once you pick a T-bar, how do you pick a shock ? Just trial and error,
or get an adjustable shock and experiment ?

In my particular case, I'm planning a street driven E-body with a guesstimated engine weight of 550 lbs.
4-speed, aluminum flywheel, Steel hood, battery in trunk, manual steering, no A/C.
I can only guess at the front end weight at this point, but maybe 1700 lbs ?

I was going to start with either a 1.00 or a 1.03 T-bar. What shock would you use ?
At this particular date I see that Koni reds are on sale...............

I should probably add, 15-in wheels with 60-series tires.

Last edited by hemienvy; 05/31/20 12:33 PM.
Re: Picking a shock to go with a T-bar [Re: hemienvy] #2780078
05/31/20 01:50 PM
05/31/20 01:50 PM
nowhere
S
Sniper Offline
master
Sniper  Offline
master
S

nowhere
Originally Posted by hemienvy

I should probably add, 15-in wheels with 60-series tires.

That really tells us nothing, what, exactly, is a 60 series tire?

Heck, I'm going with V rated P255/50R17's all around on my 51 Plymouth, more tire than the suspension can use, but I'll address that and the V rating will never be stressed, have no plans to address that though.

Re: Picking a shock to go with a T-bar [Re: hemienvy] #2780141
05/31/20 06:47 PM
05/31/20 06:47 PM
Oregon
A
AndyF Offline
I Win
AndyF  Offline
I Win
A

Oregon
For a car like that I'd use either Koni or Bilstein shocks. Hotchkis says their shocks are better but I don't have any experience with them. So that gives you three good choices for performance shocks. I'm not aware of any other performance choice for a Mopar without going to a specialty shock which would be super expensive.

I like the Koni shocks myself since they are adjustable but they only bolt on to the front. They don't fit in the rear without mods. So if you want bolt on shocks buy Bilstein or Hotchkis. I built my own shock plates for the rear to work with the Koni shocks but most people aren't going to solve the problem that way.

Re: Picking a shock to go with a T-bar [Re: hemienvy] #2780335
06/01/20 01:42 PM
06/01/20 01:42 PM
NW Chicago suburban area
Mopar Mitch Offline
pro stock
Mopar Mitch  Offline
pro stock

NW Chicago suburban area
With shocks.. you pay for what get. In the past years the single, and especially double adjustable are available... yes, more $$.. but worth it.

Otherwise, buy a name brand... such as Bilstein, etc and you won't go wrong.

Your 60-series tires will give you a softer ride vs 50 or 40 or less profile... as the taller sidewall will absorb more impact. I use 60 series for local cruising along with 1.24" torsion bars (and red Koni shocks... being replaced by QA1 double adjustable).... the for track time (AX, HSAX, HPDE) I use 50 series tires or less... pending the event.

Mopar Mitch "Road racers and autocrossers go in deeper and come out harder!"... and rain never stops us from having fun with our cars... in fact, it makes us better drivers! Check out MOPAR ACTION MAGAZINE, August 2006 issue for feature article and specs on my autocross T/A!
Re: Picking a shock to go with a T-bar [Re: Mopar Mitch] #2780450
06/01/20 06:01 PM
06/01/20 06:01 PM
central CT
cudazappa Offline
super stock
cudazappa  Offline
super stock

central CT
I agree with Mitch, with shocks you get what you pay for.
I had RCD Bilsteins in my Challenger and switched to QA1 single adjustable and it was a night/day difference better.
Suspension is a system where one change affects everything else. And tastes in ride are just as varied as the people that drive. Single adjustable shocks are good bang for the buck

1971 Challenger
Re: Picking a shock to go with a T-bar [Re: cudazappa] #2780529
06/01/20 09:46 PM
06/01/20 09:46 PM
Washington
H
hemienvy Online content OP
super stock
hemienvy  Online Content OP
super stock
H

Washington
OK thanks gents, but what I want to know is matching a shock to a vehicle weight and it's spring.

If the car was 2100 pounds front weight instead of 1700, and the T-bar was 1.24 instead of 1.00,
would I still use a Koni Red or would I look for a truck shock, i.e. MORE damping ?

How do you match the shock to the T-bar ?

Re: Picking a shock to go with a T-bar [Re: hemienvy] #2780549
06/02/20 12:40 AM
06/02/20 12:40 AM
Oregon
A
AndyF Offline
I Win
AndyF  Offline
I Win
A

Oregon
Depends what you are trying to do. For the car you asked about any of the three performance shocks currently available will work. If you need something else then call some shock mfgs once you know what your requirements are.

Re: Picking a shock to go with a T-bar [Re: hemienvy] #2780733
06/02/20 02:14 PM
06/02/20 02:14 PM
Salem
Grizzly Offline
Moparts Proctologist
Grizzly  Offline
Moparts Proctologist

Salem
Originally Posted by hemienvy
OK thanks gents, but what I want to know is matching a shock to a vehicle weight and it's spring.

If the car was 2100 pounds front weight instead of 1700, and the T-bar was 1.24 instead of 1.00,
would I still use a Koni Red

Yes

or would I look for a truck shock,

No

i.e. MORE damping ?

If anything, a truck shock would have less dampening because it has longer suspension travel. The progressive rate springs are what makes them seem stiff because they are engineered to be loaded

How do you match the shock to the T-bar ?

All the shock does is control the speed of rebound and compression. The stiffer the bars you are using, the higher the compression and rebound need to be. You would have to know the internal specs of the shock.

When it comes time to go through all this on my cars, I think I'll take the short cut and just look at modern sports cars and use a similar setup that weighs the same.

Mo' Farts

Moderated by "tbagger".
Re: Picking a shock to go with a T-bar [Re: Grizzly] #2781011
06/03/20 10:57 AM
06/03/20 10:57 AM
Pikes Peak Country
T
TC@HP2 Offline
master
TC@HP2  Offline
master
T

Pikes Peak Country
All shocks have a range of spring rates they can best support. Once you start stepping up the rates then its time to step up the shock capability as well. Well known brand names of performance shocks typically can handle a decent step up in rates without issue. This is where adjustable shocks have become popular in that they allow the user to dial in the best match of shock performance to match spring rates and usage. For most of us that want spirited but legal street manners with an occasional handling run, nearly everything off the shelf will suffice and if you have question around that, most have tech lines to assist with both selection and set up.

If you are getting into more serious competition then you are going to be looking at a different set of dampners and should be more closely working with their tech line to specify exact performance match and/or range of adjustment desired. Once you get into this realm shock dynos are employed to graphically layout how the shock performs and how well it will match a spring rate as well as driving style. Drivers influence this as well as some are smooth as silk and some are sawing at a steering wheel mercilessly. Shocks can be valved to best match a driving style as well as they can a spring rate or course layout. Know how you perform to assist with getting a shock that performs.