central texas
K
krautrock Offline
top fuel
krautrock  Offline
top fuel
K

central texas
thanks for being one of the responsible ones, getting tested and then isolating based on the fact you could possibly have it. my brother and sister in law went to a big concert in Colorado the weekend that everything started closing down. They ended up getting symptoms but didn't get tested, they also tried to go visit our mom while they had the symptoms. Pretty damn selfish.
Also, father to another sister in law just tested positive. no symptoms, he was going in for a surgery and they tested him, he got sent home with no surgery.

Last edited by krautrock; 05/16/20 04:13 PM.
Re: It's official. I got the cooties. [Re: jcc] #2775247
05/16/20 09:28 PM
05/16/20 09:28 PM
Downtown Roebuck Ont
Twostick Offline
Still wishing...
Twostick  Offline
Still wishing...

Downtown Roebuck Ont
Originally Posted by jcc
Originally Posted by feets
I got a letter in the mail today from the county health department urging an immediate response. Assuming it was Covid related I gave 'em a call.
The epidemiologist I spoke with started talking about my Covid diagnosis.
My what?
Yeah, that test I took on APRIL FRIGGIN NINTH came back positive. The seems they had two digits wrong in my phone number and resorted to snail mail.

I had been working out of my home shop and in the evenings I was helping a friend with his home remodel. One of the crew working on the house had been diagnosed with the cooties. The foreman told the homeowner. My friend (the homeowner) then told me. The next morning I went down to the local testing location and got my sinuses stuffed.

A few days later I got that little feeling that comes on a day or two before I get the flu. It's like my body is giving me a heads up but I don't actually feel sick. For some reason it stuck around about a week. I also had some strong headaches for a week or so. Other than that, I felt normal. I was keeping an eye out for the common symptoms (as they were known in early April). Nothing ever came from it.

Knowing that the nasty little bug was around I tried to stay away from people, avoided my parents entirely, and kept doing my thing.

In our phone call today the doc asked a bunch of questions but never sounded concerned. She told me that she was not going to put any travel restrictions on me and that I was not contagious. We discussed people I had been in contact with (surprisingly few) and told me to get tested again if I started showing any symptoms.

I guess the little virus buggers didn't have much interest in me and I got off easy. Sadly, not everyone gets the fair shake and a friend is planning her father's memorial as a result.

It looks like I had the bug, didn't know it, and I'm over in the "recovered" column now. Hooray medical science? Hooray luck of the draw?

Either way, remember that there really is a bug out there doing bad things. You and only you are responsible for your health.
Do your best to take care of yourself, try to not share your unknown cooties with others, and we'll see you on the road soon.

1. How the heck does this DR over the phone decide a patient is not "contagious" and/or "recovered"?
She never heard of asymptomatic, or relapse? Isn't this why a retest is in order, for the safety of others?

2. So share with us more detail on your exposure to the likely COVID worker, how close where you, was either of you wearing a mask, how did he recover?

3. Gee ,wrong phone number, good thing 911 will never make that mistake on the number or address.

4. Texas is still increasing COVID cases, wonder why?

Pretty simple. It's been 5 weeks since he was tested. All over and done with by now.

Kevin

Re: It's official. I got the cooties. [Re: Twostick] #2775256
05/16/20 09:52 PM
05/16/20 09:52 PM
PA.
pittsburghracer Offline
"Little"John
pittsburghracer  Offline
"Little"John

PA.
Ya but how many others were contaminated because of him having it and shouldn’t they be warned. Sounds idiotic.

1970 Duster
Edelbrock headed 408
5.984@112.52
422 Indy headed small block
5.982@112.56 mph
9.42@138.27

Livin and lovin life one day at a time

Re: It's official. I got the cooties. [Re: Twostick] #2775328
05/17/20 09:00 AM
05/17/20 09:00 AM
Irving, TX
feets Offline OP
Senior Management
feets  Offline OP
Senior Management

Irving, TX
Originally Posted by Twostick
Originally Posted by jcc

1. How the heck does this DR over the phone decide a patient is not "contagious" and/or "recovered"?
She never heard of asymptomatic, or relapse? Isn't this why a retest is in order, for the safety of others?

2. So share with us more detail on your exposure to the likely COVID worker, how close where you, was either of you wearing a mask, how did he recover?

3. Gee ,wrong phone number, good thing 911 will never make that mistake on the number or address.

4. Texas is still increasing COVID cases, wonder why?

Pretty simple. It's been 5 weeks since he was tested. All over and done with by now.

Kevin

The "likely" Covid worker was hospitalized due to Covid. I'm pretty sure that blows your "likely" out the window.
He and I had handled the same tools, chairs, sink, toilet, and other things. There's only so much stuff in a pier and beam house with much of the floor and walls removed. This was well before the push for masks began. I normally showed up to the work site just before the workers left for the day so I can't tell you what he was doing. I used a mask when dealing with potential of airborne particles. This was happening well before the self isolation orders were issued has been going on non-stop through March, April, and the first week of May.

I went to a federally established drive-through testing center. Never got out of the car. Most questions were asked with windows rolled up. Notes were taken by hand. Two 5s in my number were recorded as 3s so I assume the number was misread by the person inputting the documents.

Texas Covid cases are increasing due to increased testing. The biggest number of new cases are coming from prisons and nursing homes. There is a relatively low number of cases spread through public spaces.

46 counties in Texas show zero known cases. 20 more counties have 5 or fewer cases.

Texas is the second most populous state. We are 8th in the number of infections and 15th in the number of deaths. 40th in number of infected per 100k population. My friends who are heath care workers in major metropolitan areas as well as more rural areas say they have not been short of equipment at any point in time during this outbreak.

In short, Texas is not in that bad of shape.

We are brothers and sisters doing time on the planet for better or worse. I'll take the better, if you don't mind.
- Stu Harmon
Re: It's official. I got the cooties. [Re: feets] #2775356
05/17/20 10:41 AM
05/17/20 10:41 AM
Virginia
BSharp Offline
master
BSharp  Offline
master

Virginia
Not too bad as a country either. While we have the most total cases, we're ninth per capita.

Re: It's official. I got the cooties. [Re: feets] #2775357
05/17/20 10:43 AM
05/17/20 10:43 AM
Tulsa, Oklahoma
340Cuda Offline
master
340Cuda  Offline
master

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Originally Posted by 360view
I am glad you are OK.

Consider saving the lives of others less lucky by going down and donating plasma.

I was going to look into that. Giving blood and plasma is not something I've ever done. My body does not react well to giving up blood. I've had a lot of blood work done over the years and always feel a bit off after a little vial is taken. One time it hit me kinda hard and it took about 20 minutes for me to recover well enough to drive home. I don't know how my body would react to a larger quantity being taken.

I don't think this has been mentioned but donating plasma is different from donating blood.

I have never donated plasma but when donating blood I think I have seen others donating plasma. The take the blood out of your body, filter the plasma out of it then put it back in.

I would guess that this could reduce or eliminate any bad feelings you had after blood tests in the past.

I am sure if I got any of this wrong somebody will correct me.

Donating plasma with the COVID-19 antibodies could be a chance to save several lifes. My understanding is that one donation can be used on several COVID victims.

Re: It's official. I got the cooties. [Re: feets] #2775517
05/17/20 05:44 PM
05/17/20 05:44 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
Originally Posted by jcc
Originally Posted by calmopar

Knowing that the nasty little bug was around I tried to stay away from people, avoided my parents entirely, and kept doing my thing.

Smart, caring move.

You forgot "calculated"

Definition of calculated
2a: worked out by mathematical calculation
b: engaged in, undertaken, or displayed after reckoning or estimating the statistical probability of success or failure
a calculated risk

Yes. Calculated.
I determined the best course of action for me to continue to survive while living alone. Keep food on my table. Keep a roof over my head. Not rely on others for basic necessities (potentially subjecting those others to what I was avoiding). Not relying on government handouts (single partner LLC owner ineligible for unemployment). Still helping a family of 4 finish a home remodel where the kitchen was down to bare studs, two bathrooms were disabled, and the floors had been removed all before the county was under emergency declaration.

Yes, I was infected while doing my best to help others. I wanted to see a family regain their home. I wanted to make sure an 8 year old girl could use her own bathroom and not have to share a tiny closet sized bath with her older brother, mother, and mother's boyfriend. I wanted to make sure their defective electrical service panel was properly replaced and hazardous wiring was removed. I wanted to drain the flooded Cold War era bomb shelter to determine if it was safe to enter or if it would support activities on the ground above it. I wanted to make sure the weight of the family car driving beside the bomb shelter was not going to cause a cave in.

Yes. It was a calculated move. I put my own health at risk, and was infected, trying to do what I thought was best while not passing any contagions I might collect on to others. So far, it looks to have paid off. I did not fall ill and none of the people I have been in contact with have been ill. Most importantly, my immuno-compromised mother who keeps asking me to stop by has not been infected.

As far as the house goes, the work was completed Friday. The inspector should green tag it on Monday and it will be ready for proper habitation. I will not bill the homeowner. That work was a gift.

So, Mr Piss On Everything Possible, show me the errors of my calculated decisions. While you're at it, feel free to demonstrate what you have done to help others get through this mess other than hiding at home and harassing people on the internet.

No need to. You have done a fine job.with your own words.
I also feel no need to demonstrate anything.
For those on the sidelines, Note "Feets" does not take well to anything that even hints at weakness in his position.

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: It's official. I got the cooties. [Re: jcc] #2775522
05/17/20 05:57 PM
05/17/20 05:57 PM
Super Spudsville
Mr PotatoHead Offline
Half Baked
Mr PotatoHead  Offline
Half Baked

Super Spudsville
For those on the sidelines, Note "Feets" does not take well to anything that even hints at weakness in his position.

Naaa I think its just you, like the others you rub the wrong way, ive been constructively critical of feets many times without any neg. issues coming from it except a good reply or explanation.

Im sure JCC, your the smartest person you know. Just ask yourself.

STOP POTATO HATE!
Re: It's official. I got the cooties. [Re: topside] #2775524
05/17/20 06:01 PM
05/17/20 06:01 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
Originally Posted by topside
The term "calculated" - and what specific definition & intent there was in applying it here - should be explained.
That word has a pejorative tone, and I would hope that was not the intent.

Good on ya, Feets, for taking care of others and doing - again - what's right and best in a difficult situation.

My approach to dealing with the virus was in a sense "calculated", as I figured it best to avoid people (for either getting or transmitting).
And in the meantime I was able to perform a kindness or two and visit at a distance, figuring the lockdown is mentally tough on a lot of folks.
Nothing like Feets' effort though, tip o' the hat to ya, sir.

Pejorative or not, "Feets" has confirmed the inclusion of "calculated" . So in my use, I just better defined what he did, that he did not originally.

And his response to me above far exceeds "pejorative", and that's been a long time pattern, and no need for me to any explanation.

BTW, describing the deaths of over xx,000 people as due to "cooties" after 5 weeks after confirmation, and treating one's own parents with a greater level of protection to known COVID exposure then others, when one has little knowledge of their own persona/individual risk factors, and maybe without full disclosure, is indeed "calculating" to one's owns interests vs the best interest of others.

Last edited by jcc; 05/17/20 06:01 PM.

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: It's official. I got the cooties. [Re: jcc] #2775533
05/17/20 06:24 PM
05/17/20 06:24 PM
Irving, TX
feets Offline OP
Senior Management
feets  Offline OP
Senior Management

Irving, TX
Originally Posted by jcc

Pejorative or not, "Feets" has confirmed the inclusion of "calculated" . So in my use, I just better defined what he did, that he did not originally.

And his response to me above far exceeds "pejorative", and that's been a long time pattern, and no need for me to any explanation.

BTW, describing the deaths of over xx,000 people as due to "cooties" after 5 weeks after confirmation, and treating one's own parents with a greater level of protection to known COVID exposure then others, when one has little knowledge of their own persona/individual risk factors, and maybe without full disclosure, is indeed "calculating" to one's owns interests vs the best interest of others.

No, jcc, it's just you I'm sick of.

You're the only person I've ever put on ignore in the forums and you're going back on it.

Yes, I called the potentially lethal virus that I contracted "the cooties". Why? Because I've always been a bit tongue in cheek and will continue to be that way. I could have called it all manner of things but I chose to use the same term I've used since it was discovered. Don't try to talk down to me about it. A good friend has already lost her father to it and that's one more memorial I really didn't want to attend. Spare us all from your holier than thou approach to this.

I think you had better reconsider the idea that I treated my patents differently than the rest of the world. I've been working from home since well before the self isolation orders came out. I went to that house where the 5 man crew was working (they came on board after I did), dealt with the homeowner {as I had been doing}, and came back home. Other than a couple trips to the supermarket in the off hours I have not been out in public.
My parents live 5 miles from me and mother asked me to visit a few times. I refused. I also refused to visit other friends, family, and social events. I did my best to stay out of public.

It must be a sad existence you lead where you must always criticize others and never see a happy sight.

No, you can't respond to save face for you have none to save. Further abrasive remarks will only make you look bad at this point. Just let it go.

Don't bother responding to me. We are no longer having a discussion. You're back on ignore.

We are brothers and sisters doing time on the planet for better or worse. I'll take the better, if you don't mind.
- Stu Harmon
Re: It's official. I got the cooties. [Re: feets] #2775535
05/17/20 06:26 PM
05/17/20 06:26 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
Originally Posted by jcc

No, jcc, it's just you I'm sick of.

You're the only person I've ever put on ignore in the forums and you're going back on it.

Yes, I called the potentially lethal virus that I contracted "the cooties". Why? Because I've always been a bit tongue in cheek and will continue to be that way. I could have called it all manner of things but I chose to use the same term I've used since it was discovered. Don't try to talk down to me about it. A good friend has already lost her father to it and that's one more memorial I really didn't want to attend. Spare us all from your holier than thou approach to this.

I think you had better reconsider the idea that I treated my patents differently than the rest of the world. I've been working from home since well before the self isolation orders came out. I went to that house where the 5 man crew was working, dealt with the homeowner, and came back home. Other than a couple trips to the supermarket in the off hours I have not been out in public.
My parents live 5 miles from me and mother asked me to visit a few times. I refused. I also refused to visit other friends, family, and social events. I did my best to stay out of public.

It must be a sad existence you lead where you must always criticize others and never see a happy sight.

No, you can't respond to save face for you have none to save. Further abrasive remarks will only make you look bad at this point. Just let it go.

Don't bother responding to me. We are no longer having a discussion. You're back on ignore.

up

Re: It's official. I got the cooties. [Re: 340Cuda] #2776408
05/20/20 11:33 AM
05/20/20 11:33 AM
Oregon
hooziewhatsit Offline
master
hooziewhatsit  Offline
master

Oregon
Originally Posted by 340Cuda
I don't think this has been mentioned but donating plasma is different from donating blood.

I have never donated plasma but when donating blood I think I have seen others donating plasma. The take the blood out of your body, filter the plasma out of it then put it back in.

I would guess that this could reduce or eliminate any bad feelings you had after blood tests in the past.

I am sure if I got any of this wrong somebody will correct me.

Donating plasma with the COVID-19 antibodies could be a chance to save several lifes. My understanding is that one donation can be used on several COVID victims.

I just got this email from the Red Cross about donating plasma.
https://www.redcrossblood.org/donat...ns-from-recovered-covid-19-patients.html

Donors who have fully recovered from the new coronavirus have antibodies in their blood plasma to help protect against future infections. The Red Cross is working with the FDA to collect plasma from fully recovered coronavirus patients to provide to clinicians for patient care.

Eligible donors who complete the Donor Request form will receive an appointment to donate convalescent plasma at a Red Cross or non-Red Cross collection site. During a plasma donation, blood is drawn from an arm and sent through a high-tech machine that collects your plasma and then safely and comfortably returns your red cells back to you, along with some saline. Because of this process, donating plasma does take longer than a regular whole blood donation. Eligible donors may give convalescent plasma every 28 days.

Next week I'm scheduled to do a double-red donation, that uses the same machine but puts the plasma back in, and gets twice the normal amount of red blood cells. My antibody test came back negative, so the nasty thing I had in late February must have been the same influenza-A my daughter tested positive for a couple weeks later.

If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.
Re: It's official. I got the cooties. [Re: krautrock] #2776419
05/20/20 11:48 AM
05/20/20 11:48 AM
central texas
K
krautrock Offline
top fuel
krautrock  Offline
top fuel
K

central texas
Originally Posted by krautrock

Also, father to another sister in law just tested positive. no symptoms, he was going in for a surgery and they tested him, he got sent home with no surgery.

turns out this was a false positive test.

Re: It's official. I got the cooties. [Re: feets] #2779419
05/29/20 11:36 AM
05/29/20 11:36 AM
The Swamp
S
Sixpak Offline
master
Sixpak  Offline
master
S

The Swamp
I got a letter in the mail today from the county health department urging an immediate response. Assuming it was Covid related I gave 'em a call.
The epidemiologist I spoke with started talking about my Covid diagnosis.
My what?
Yeah, that test I took on APRIL FRIGGIN NINTH came back positive. The seems they had two digits wrong in my phone number and resorted to snail mail.

I had been working out of my home shop and in the evenings I was helping a friend with his home remodel. One of the crew working on the house had been diagnosed with the cooties. The foreman told the homeowner. My friend (the homeowner) then told me. The next morning I went down to the local testing location and got my sinuses stuffed.

A few days later I got that little feeling that comes on a day or two before I get the flu. It's like my body is giving me a heads up but I don't actually feel sick. For some reason it stuck around about a week. I also had some strong headaches for a week or so. Other than that, I felt normal. I was keeping an eye out for the common symptoms (as they were known in early April). Nothing ever came from it.

In our phone call today the doc asked a bunch of questions but never sounded concerned. She told me that she was not going to put any travel restrictions on me and that I was not contagious. We discussed people I had been in contact with (surprisingly few) and told me to get tested again if I started showing any symptoms.

I guess the little virus buggers didn't have much interest in me and I got off easy. Sadly, not everyone gets the fair shake and a friend is planning her father's memorial as a result.

It looks like I had the bug, didn't know it, and I'm over in the "recovered" column now. Hooray medical science? Hooray luck of the draw?

Either way, remember that there really is a bug out there doing bad things. You and only you are responsible for your health.
Do your best to take care of yourself, try to not share your unknown cooties with others, and we'll see you on the road soon.

Some self employed people in Texas can qualify for Pandemic Unemployment assistance. There are various programs being offered both by the state and by the federal government . If you go out to the TWC web site they have an faq page for self employed people.

Re: It's official. I got the cooties. [Re: fastmark] #2780258
06/01/20 08:13 AM
06/01/20 08:13 AM
Land of the Brave, Home of the...
63CandyMatic Offline
pro stock
63CandyMatic  Offline
pro stock

Land of the Brave, Home of the...
Originally Posted by fastmark
When this thing runs its coarse, I think we will find out your case is the normal. People with poor immune systems or other complications are the ones that get really sick. I doubt that info will ever get published though. I’m pretty sure my wife and I have already had it.

I think your take on this is correct, and pretty common knowledge now. It is getting published that way, and reported that way. Younger, healthy, low BMI people usually have moderate, or mild responses to it, and sometimes no symptoms or reaction after exposure. But that's not a guarantee on how certain people will react to this virus.

Not so much for the older, heavier, health compromised crowd, that's for sure.

Re: It's official. I got the cooties. [Re: 63CandyMatic] #2780369
06/01/20 02:58 PM
06/01/20 02:58 PM
Albany, NY
67SATisfaction Offline
The member whose name is actually Art
67SATisfaction  Offline
The member whose name is actually Art

Albany, NY
Originally Posted by 63CandyMatic
Originally Posted by fastmark
When this thing runs its coarse, I think we will find out your case is the normal. People with poor immune systems or other complications are the ones that get really sick. I doubt that info will ever get published though. I’m pretty sure my wife and I have already had it.

I think your take on this is correct, and pretty common knowledge now. It is getting published that way, and reported that way. Younger, healthy, low BMI people usually have moderate, or mild responses to it, and sometimes no symptoms or reaction after exposure. But that's not a guarantee on how certain people will react to this virus.

Not so much for the older, heavier, health compromised crowd, that's for sure.

It is known who is vulnerable and that Covid-19 has no effect on some people. But I think people just aren't reminded how it lurks in healthy people...

My wife is an MD and works on our County the Covid-19 Task Force. She does Contact Tracing on weekends. The last 8 hour day she worked tracing exposures, every single patient that was reported to the County Health Dept because of a positive result for the Coronavirus had suffered no symptoms at all. None. Zero. Nada. They were getting their test just as a matter of course to go back to work under our Phase 1 opening. She looked it up and 40 to 60% of positives report NO symptoms whatsoever. Not a single moment did these cases believe they had it.

If you don't practice safe behaviors.. It's like you have a pocketful of pills you are handing out to people around you, and one of those pills is lethal.
Just a matter of time before someone gets inadvertently killed.
Cheers,
- Art

Last edited by 67SATisfaction; 06/01/20 04:57 PM.

65 Satellite hardtop 361/4bbl console 727 2.76
67 Satellite convert 383/2bbl column 727 3.23
67 Lancia Fulvia Sport 1.3 Zagato. Alloy body, 1.3L V4 DOHC 4-spd
67 Lancia Fulvia Rallye 1.3. Alloy panel, 1.3L V4 DOHC 4-spd
71 Alfa Romeo GT Junior 1300 Zagato, 1.3L 4cyl DOHC hemi 5-spd
82 Alfa Romeo GTV6 2.5L SOHC hemi V6 5-spd transaxle
75 Maserati Bora US spec 4.9L DOHC hemi V8 5-spd ZF
77 Maserati Khamsin Euro spec 4.9L DOHC hemi V8 5-spd ZF
07 Aston Martin DB9 6.0L DOHC V12 6spd transaxle
Re: It's official. I got the cooties. [Re: 67SATisfaction] #2780799
06/02/20 04:22 PM
06/02/20 04:22 PM
Great Neck,LI,new york
hemi-itis Offline
I Live Here
hemi-itis  Offline
I Live Here

Great Neck,LI,new york
Well FEETS, your still stuck with carownersvirus for the rest of your livelong daze!!

HEMI-ITIS has no cure.
My condition is fully BLOWN!!
Page 2 of 2 1 2