Mass
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here
DAYCLONA  Offline
I Live Here

Mass
Originally Posted by Cab_Burge
Originally Posted by DAYCLONA
Nice to finally see this country get back in the "driver's seat" of space exploration...

I disagree, I think our government waste way to much tax payers money on space. If it was up to me I would let private company like Space X develop business opportunities in outer space.
Humans can't live in outer space and prosper or on the Moon or Mars, why are we wasting our resources, exotic metals and fuel and money on doing this? work
I think our country should only spend money in space on national defense up work
John F Kennedy dream has become our American tax payers worst nightmare work twocents

Your just one of those "old farts" smile just for sh1ts and giggles, what if I told you I had a program that for every $1 (one) US dollar you invest, your return would be $14?, I'm sure you'd be pleased with that?...yes?, if so, then that's your return according to the Rand Corporation (those pesky think tank guys that crunch ALL numbers for mankind's knowledge) for every US dollar invested since 1957 in the space program, evidently your not aware of all the medical/communication technology/computer/AI/energy development/ vast new knowledge/etc/etc/etc/etc/etc that the space program has brought to your front door... or are you more at ease with the TRILLIONS we've spent rebuilding sh1tholes over the decades we've spent TRILLIONS on blowing up over the decades with ZERO return on our "investment"?

Re: space x live [Re: Runner2go] #2780114
05/31/20 05:23 PM
05/31/20 05:23 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
Originally Posted by Runner2go
Originally Posted by hooziewhatsit
The drone ship uses a satellite link to send footage back. The turbulence from the exhaust rocks it enough that it loses it's connection. It dies on pretty much every drone ship landing.

... and why am I not surprised... someone has made an entire video about this laugh2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hH75bVG7HBo

Here's a land-landing with pretty good footage. https://youtu.be/SlgrxVuP5jk?t=1255

Ok I watched both and the 2nd one was pretty cool...

But it doesn't explain what we all saw today... Getting from cloud level to siting on the platform in about 10sec.
In the video you provided it took 2 1/2 min to land, after the 1st time it re-fired the rocket to slow it down
And a full 40seconds to land after re-firing the rocket the 2nd & final time...
No matter how you look at it, that's a heck of a lot longer than today's 5-10sec signal lost message.

Now I wish I would have hit "record". laugh2

Yes, the timing looked odd, but then nobody over the years seems to complain about the broadcast audio from the Nascar live action "IN CAR Cameras" is pre-recorded, as from the words years back of an Emmy winning Audio Broadcast mixer, who will remain nameless. I can see the need for positive optics in such a high profile event, I mean this was only the third sitting President in history to view a manned launch in person, that it could be rationalized showing a taped segment of the the touchdown of a similar event. I wouldn't do it, but heck the nation is in need of something going right. In war, truth is the first causally thinking.

However, I was watching the boosters "correction" thrusters on TV live as it was descending, and depth perception of course was very difficult to ascertain, and as the booster descended to the clouds, I was very amazed how much angle the thrusters were correcting the booster relative to the clouds, in that it was an awful lot, or it was very close to the cloud cover, what we don't know is, at what altitude was that cloud cover, and as I suspect, visuals play little role in the touchdown, and because of the timing, 5? sec might have what it was. I don't know.

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: space x live [Re: DAYCLONA] #2780128
05/31/20 06:21 PM
05/31/20 06:21 PM
Bend,OR USA
C
Cab_Burge Offline
I Win
Cab_Burge  Offline
I Win
C

Bend,OR USA
I lived in SO CA from 1945 until 2005, I worked in the Telephone industries in and on a bunch of different military bases in SO CA including Edwards AFB and the Rocket site on the same property,
I spent 2 yrs in the U.S. Army from 1966 to 1968, I know government waste when I see it on base and in other non military programs.
As far as return on investment do you trust everything you read? I don't down
Way to many people have become very wealthy off of government funded projects that the average person gained little no benefits from puke work
This (a lot of these problems with government funded unneeded projects all started in the early 1960s after JFK was killed in Dallas ,TX to make his Vice President LBJ, become our President whiney
Do you know how and where our government gets it money now? If not please find out up

Mr.Cab Racing and winning with Mopars since 1964. (Old F--t, Huh)
Re: space x live [Re: Cab_Burge] #2780147
05/31/20 07:03 PM
05/31/20 07:03 PM
Florida STAYcation
dIc dOc Deity ! Offline
The village idiot's idiot
dIc dOc Deity !  Offline
The village idiot's idiot

Florida STAYcation
Day-ummmm C Burge-er ! .....you are an old fart .... and you are right on GOV waste !

AND me thimks that we should learn more about MOTHER EARTH and the depths of the crust and the depths of the Oceans first ...

Re: space x live [Re: Cab_Burge] #2780152
05/31/20 07:14 PM
05/31/20 07:14 PM
The Swamp
S
Sixpak Offline
master
Sixpak  Offline
master
S

The Swamp
I lived in SO CA from 1945 until 2005, I worked in the Telephone industries in and on a bunch of different military bases in SO CA including Edwards AFB and the Rocket site on the same property,
I spent 2 yrs in the U.S. Army from 1966 to 1968, I know government waste when I see it on base and in other non military programs.
As far as return on investment do you trust everything you read? I don't down
Way to many people have become very wealthy off of government funded projects that the average person gained little no benefits from puke work
This (a lot of these problems with government funded unneeded projects all started in the early 1960s after JFK was killed in Dallas ,TX to make his Vice President LBJ, become our President whiney
Do you know how and where our government gets it money now? If not please find out up

How many lives would have been lost if we did not have weather satellites in orbit over the planet? We'd still be using vacuum tubes, and telco techs would have been still working on old rotary switch technologies in central offices if it weren't for the push to miniaturize electronic components to reduce the size of the payloads put into orbit. There are literally thousands of spin off technologies with applications here on Earth that have arisen from the money we've spent on the space program. People [censored] and moan about the money spent on the space program most likely because it's one of the most visible places government dollars have been spent. Yet each B2 bomber costs approx. 2.1 Billion dollars......

spinoffs.nasa.gov

Re: space x live [Re: Sixpak] #2780161
05/31/20 07:32 PM
05/31/20 07:32 PM
Tucson, AZ
Ramrod39 Offline
My New Title
Ramrod39  Offline
My New Title

Tucson, AZ
Americans spend three time more on pets each year than we do on space exploration...

Re: space x live [Re: Runner2go] #2780233
06/01/20 01:30 AM
06/01/20 01:30 AM
Oregon
hooziewhatsit Offline
master
hooziewhatsit  Offline
master

Oregon
Originally Posted by Runner2go
Ok I watched both and the 2nd one was pretty cool...

But it doesn't explain what we all saw today... Getting from cloud level to siting on the platform in about 10sec.
In the video you provided it took 2 1/2 min to land, after the 1st time it re-fired the rocket to slow it down
And a full 40seconds to land after re-firing the rocket the 2nd & final time...
No matter how you look at it, that's a heck of a lot longer than today's 5-10sec signal lost message.

Now I wish I would have hit "record". laugh2

I just watched the DM-2 landing again. It looks like they did have some reception issues during the last couple minutes before landing (at least on the stream I just reviewed). I'm just going to go with a low cloud cover laugh

Some more goodies: failed landings, and explosions https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvim4rsNHkQ&t=6s
This is what happens when the grid fins run out of hydraulic fluid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcLz1hTRkWM Those fins are large.. ~5'x6' IIRC. On final approach, the booster doesn't actually move laterally to be over the landing pad until the last moment, so if anything goes wrong, it crashes not on the pad. The grid fins are now made out of.. cast? titanium, since the aluminum ones were melting during some reentry profiles shocked

If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.
Re: space x live [Re: Ramrod39] #2780234
06/01/20 01:31 AM
06/01/20 01:31 AM
Bend,OR USA
C
Cab_Burge Offline
I Win
Cab_Burge  Offline
I Win
C

Bend,OR USA
Originally Posted by Ramrod39
Americans spend three time more on pets each year than we do on space exploration...

That shows you exactly how many Americans are stupid, huh haha stirthepot stirthepot
When I started working for the local telephone company as a beginning apprentice lineman in 1964 my check showed that the total government deductions, Federal Income tax,( about 4%) Social Security tax (2.5% of the gross), (this was before Medicare deductions), CA State disability tax(1.5%, no CA income tax at that time and maybe one other deduction was less than 19% total. I did still have to pay CA state sales tax (5 3/4 %) on everything but grocery, gasoline taxes and a lot of other state and federal taxes.
When I was reduce in force from the Telephone company in 1997 I was paying 28.5% Federal income tax, 7 1/2 % Soc. Sec. tax, 2 1/2 % medicare tax, 5.0 % CA state income tax, 1.5 % CA state disability tax, 7 3/4 CA sales tax as well as property taxes, gas tax, Federal Excise taxes and so on.
My point is all the different Government agency where getting a bigger percent of my earnings than I was whiney rant puke
TIME to Vote all them rascals out of office and vote in more public servants wanting to help make our country better twocents up

Re: space x live [Re: Cab_Burge] #2780300
06/01/20 11:41 AM
06/01/20 11:41 AM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia

To emphasize your very valid point, there was no legit reason to spend the money to relocate the existing NASA space control from Cape Canaveral to Houston. It was blatant money and political patronage at work.

I am surprised few seem to understand the basis if the biggest failure of the Space shuttle, the dreaded O rings, and why they were the chosen design solution.
The reason, the solid rocket boosters were originally filled in a below ground level silo in the Everglades south of Homestead, Florida, and then shipped by barge up to the launch site, for the prototypes. I believe the abandoned assembly site still exists. The problem became, the Chairman of the Senate Finance Committee, was Senator Warren Hatch, and he was from Utah, the Home of Morton Thiokol a major rocket builder, and there are no barges able to get there from the Cape. So, they came up with a segmented shippable solid rocket booster, using O rings, and the rest is history another example of incremental government waste.

Last edited by jcc; 06/01/20 11:52 AM.

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: space x live [Re: jcc] #2780305
06/01/20 11:56 AM
06/01/20 11:56 AM
Kirkland, Washington
Pacnorthcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
Pacnorthcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

Kirkland, Washington
Senator Warren Hatch. LOL, You are funny.

Re: space x live [Re: Cab_Burge] #2780313
06/01/20 12:33 PM
06/01/20 12:33 PM
Rio Linda, CA
John_Kunkel Offline
Too Many Posts
John_Kunkel  Offline
Too Many Posts

Rio Linda, CA

And that qualifies you to make statements like "Humans can't live in outer space and prosper or on the Moon or Mars"?

The INTERNET, the MISinformation superhighway
Re: space x live [Re: John_Kunkel] #2780322
06/01/20 12:46 PM
06/01/20 12:46 PM
Bend,OR USA
C
Cab_Burge Offline
I Win
Cab_Burge  Offline
I Win
C

Bend,OR USA
No John, that experience doesn't qualify me for making that statement, I think common sense does shruggy

Re: space x live [Re: Cab_Burge] #2780325
06/01/20 12:48 PM
06/01/20 12:48 PM
Kirkland, Washington
Pacnorthcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
Pacnorthcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

Kirkland, Washington
No John, that experience doesn't qualify me for making that statement, I think common sense does shruggy

Hundreds of years ago many thought the western portion of North America was uninhabitable by European immigrants.

Re: space x live [Re: Pacnorthcuda] #2780336
06/01/20 01:44 PM
06/01/20 01:44 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
Originally Posted by Pacnorthcuda

It wasn't supposed to be funny, more like a brain fart, I'm sure its not this first for Orin.

Re: space x live [Re: jcc] #2780341
06/01/20 01:57 PM
06/01/20 01:57 PM
Kirkland, Washington
Pacnorthcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
Pacnorthcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

Kirkland, Washington
Originally Posted by jcc

It wasn't supposed to be funny, more like a brain fart, I'm sure its not this first for Orin.

Well, it’s the second for you! It’s Orrin. If you are going to try to lay blame for a space flight disaster on the party of your disfavor, at least get the accused names right!

LOL.

Re: space x live [Re: Pacnorthcuda] #2780346
06/01/20 02:09 PM
06/01/20 02:09 PM
Oregon
hooziewhatsit Offline
master
hooziewhatsit  Offline
master

Oregon
Originally Posted by jcc

Well, it’s the second for you! It’s Orrin. If you are going to try to lay blame for a space flight disaster on the party of your disfavor, at least get the accused names right!

LOL.

I didn't see it as a jab at the other party, but instead a jab at the politics that encourages building things in as many different congressional districts as possible. It was that decision that led to the o-rings.

shruggy

Re: space x live [Re: hooziewhatsit] #2780350
06/01/20 02:13 PM
06/01/20 02:13 PM
Kirkland, Washington
Pacnorthcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
Pacnorthcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

Kirkland, Washington
Originally Posted by hooziewhatsit

I didn't see it as a jab at the other party, but instead a jab at the politics that encourages building things in as many different congressional districts as possible. It was that decision that led to the o-rings.

shruggy

Of course you didn’t.

Re: space x live [Re: Pacnorthcuda] #2780352
06/01/20 02:16 PM
06/01/20 02:16 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
Originally Posted by jcc

LOL.

If I thought "party" was a factor, trust me, I would have gone there, what I did leave out, it's the populaces propensity to cut decision makers undue slack when they might be of the same party, which costs EVERYONE at the least money, "blame" here is for each to decide on their own, the shuttle boosters blew up because of a compromised poor engineering design choice likely due to non engineering influence. Trying to assign "party" blame, is just a furtherance of why these things happen, because people are looking to one up the other for their own agenda, IMO.

And minor spelling errors, are hardly a brain fart worth keeping score over, but hey, its a free country.

Re: space x live [Re: jcc] #2780483
06/01/20 07:13 PM
06/01/20 07:13 PM
Bend,OR USA
C
Cab_Burge Offline
I Win
Cab_Burge  Offline
I Win
C

Bend,OR USA
My understanding of the real cause of the O ring failures was NASA pushing to launch in weather condition that exceeded the lower operating temperature range of the O rings to seal properly rant:scope
THEY GOOFED up and killed some good people, more Government waste of people and resources whiney down
Nobody got punished for that decision that I know of, I think they should have had a full open investigation and taken appropriate actions to ensure that it never happened again twocents work

Re: space x live [Re: Cab_Burge] #2780495
06/01/20 07:40 PM
06/01/20 07:40 PM
Oregon
hooziewhatsit Offline
master
hooziewhatsit  Offline
master

Oregon
IIRC, the orings did fail at liftoff, but then sealed again. During the flight a bad gust of wind made everything flex which opened up the hole again. That was when it started to burn through the external tank, and everything went wrong.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3