05/26/20 10:02 AM
05/26/20 10:02 AM
Oklahoma
L
lenogris Offline OP
lenogris  Offline OP
L

Oklahoma
Thought I would post up my magnum build I'm working through now. Bought a 2005 SXT Magnum for 800$ with intentions to do a big tire tubed panel van look to it. I ordered a 2015 Challenger SRT 392 drop out package from Cleveland power and performance. The Challenger had 78k miles on it. Pictured below is the wrecked car the package came out of.
[Linked Image]

This is the engine and 8 Speed trans on the pallet
[Linked Image]

Another angle, the package includes the steering column, gauge cluster, gas and brake pedals, gas tank, and complete wiring harness.
[Linked Image]

Here is the cluster of mess they call harness
[Linked Image]

I cant seem to find pictures of the whole car, but when i do ill put them in. Here is the inside. I have stripped it, it will be getting a roll cage, and back half after I get a chance to drive it around the block.
[Linked Image]

Here is the engine and trans mounted in the car.
[Linked Image]

So far the only issues have been engine mounts, and the K member bolts. Everything came out of the car easy enough, considering it had 220k miles on it. In case anyone does not know, the 6.4 mounts are angled at roughly a 45 compared to the mounting holes on the K member. Looks like the older 5.7 and such mounted parallel to the engine. Not a huge deal, as i just used the mounts they had on the pallet for shipping, and cut them down to size and welded them onto the frame. Also the 8 speed bolted right up using the existing bolt holes.

The other issue was with taking out the K member for a test fit. The back bolts had rusted solid. First tried cutting the heads off to see if the K member would slide out, and that was a no go. As you can see in the picture it had rusted solid, and we had to use the torch to heat it all up and burn off the rust.
[Linked Image]

Current next steps I have to take care of.
Route wiring and mount boxes
make dash to mount steering column using the existing magnum column
make a mount for the power steering pump the challenger had electric steering.
mount the radiator back up along with a trans cooler.

Going to use the current gas tank and fuel lines and drive shaft to test drive around the block, make sure the engine and trans work good and I did not mess anything up putting it in. After that it gets a fuel cell, and such when I start the back half part.

Just trying to bring some classic hot roding to a modern setup. I'm doing all the work in my shop/garage at home mostly by myself, with some assistance from my father. I am not a professional and have not done an engine swap, only done a small 4 cylinder rebuild. So the frame work and mounts and everything is all new to me. I also plan to do the tuning myself with one of the HP Tuners, so that will be interesting. I enjoy figuring this stuff out, so it all should come together, or ill break something and have to do it all again. I gotta keep the pressure on myself to get it done or it will sit for a long time. So im working fast at it. If anyone wants some specific pictures or explanations of what i did anything as im going along just let me know.

Re: 2005 Magnum Build [Re: lenogris] #2778312
05/26/20 11:58 AM
05/26/20 11:58 AM
GA
roadrunninMark Offline
master
roadrunninMark  Offline
master

GA
That's a cool swap!

Re: 2005 Magnum Build [Re: roadrunninMark] #2779715
05/30/20 12:02 PM
05/30/20 12:02 PM
Berlin, CT
SportFuryS/23383 Offline
Confused
SportFuryS/23383  Offline
Confused

Berlin, CT
Add me to the "Now Following" list. The way you are describing your build sounds very interesting and cool. I am also following because we also have a 2005 Magnum but an R/T we did a little upgrading to, but NOTHIN' like you're gonna build. Here is our car.....The Charger next to it is a 1973 and a friends who is now in Virginia. Looking forward to seeing more progress of your build, please keep us updated if you can.

Magnum 2.jpg
Last edited by SportFuryS/23383; 05/30/20 12:03 PM.

If You Ask Me This Whole World Has Gone To Hell- Creed Fisher
Proud Supporter Of LGBT (Liberty Guns Beer & Trump)
Re: 2005 Magnum Build [Re: SportFuryS/23383] #2779818
05/30/20 05:28 PM
05/30/20 05:28 PM
Akron, ohio
76orangewagon Offline
76orangewagon  Offline

Akron, ohio
Cool build.... a tubbed magnum would be awesome...Please tell me your going to swap the 2016+ Charger front it makes me want to do one myself.

a740164432e905ec04e2b0d4bd4d4d88.jpgmag2_compact.png
Re: 2005 Magnum Build [Re: 76orangewagon] #2780292
06/01/20 11:02 AM
06/01/20 11:02 AM
Oklahoma
L
lenogris Offline OP
lenogris  Offline OP
L

Oklahoma
So over the weekend i was able to get the steering column and dash structure installed. The knuckle that came with the magnum has a weird bend in it and it was hitting the starter, so had to use the one from the challenger. The downside is the challenger one was a little bit smaller, so we heated it with a torch and drove it on with a hammer. Ill put up a pick when i get home later. I was also able to lay out and get the wiring harnesses from the challenger roughly where I wanted them to be.

I then made an attempt to start the engine, however the car just cycles from off to acc to run without making an attempt to start. The gauges of course says to press the brake pedal and press the start button. Acts like the pedal is not pressed, and as of now the sensor for it is plugged in and left open, and I confirmed it was sending signal down the wire to the abs controller. I went through the car, and used a test light to test all of the grounds, however ill be the first to admit there are a lot and that is a big harness. I have a new scan tool coming in today so i can read the abs codes and make sure its sound, and getting the signal from the pedal sensor. We used a wire and jumpered the starter relay and it cranks but no bang. I assume the computer is not telling the injectors and spark plugs to fire. Later today I will call the Cleveland PaP guys and they are going to T/S with me on the phone see if we cant get it started.

I was also able to start making a bracket to mount the power steering pump got a few more pieces to cut and weld on it. Im sure it wont look pretty, but it will function. Can always re make some of the stuff later when I get a little better skilled. Gotta keep moving or ill let the project sit for too long.

As to the charger front end i looked at it, and may end up with it, as the fenders and grill are not in great shape. However I kinda like the magnum from end it looks good. Maybe just get a new one thats clean. I already have a fiberglass hood but im not sure i like the look. I do plan on getting rid of the back side windows and once i get the cage in i will get rid of the back doors too. Make it look like an old school panel van. I have been back and fort on either using some sheet metal to replace the glass, or using lexan making it flush and painting it. Id guess the lexan may be lighter, and it does not require me to weld something poorly.

Ill get the progress pics uploaded later and in the mean time if anyone has ideas on the starting issue fill free to school me.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by lenogris; 06/01/20 07:29 PM.
Re: 2005 Magnum Build [Re: lenogris] #2780401
06/01/20 04:36 PM
06/01/20 04:36 PM
Oklahoma
L
lenogris Offline OP
lenogris  Offline OP
L

Oklahoma
It lives. Brake travel sensor cannot be completely open remounted it to the challenger pedal mount and it fired right up.
https://youtu.be/wOIWG8HEThQ

The phone muffles the sound a lot. It's nearly obnoxiously loud, hearing damage levels. Sounds freaking cool.

Last edited by lenogris; 06/01/20 07:28 PM.
Re: 2005 Magnum Build [Re: lenogris] #2782064
06/06/20 11:39 AM
06/06/20 11:39 AM
Oklahoma
L
lenogris Offline OP
lenogris  Offline OP
L

Oklahoma
Latest update. Ordered challenger radiator and fan assembly should be in monday, ordered the HPTuners setup so i can read the ecu and get it unlocked.

Got the power steering pump mounted. Dont like it very much, but it will work for now. I found out the hellcat PS pump bolts onto this engine where the idler pulley is so i may get that in the future, it just costs 260$.

[Linked Image]

got the abs module mounted not pretty, but seems sturdy. I used the existing rubber grommet for the old abs mount.

[Linked Image]

started to rough out where i want the wiring.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

got a new trans cooler

[Linked Image]

I did some playing around with the driveshaft, i was wanting to be able to drive it around the block to make sure the transmission shifts ok. However i dont see a way to get the rear end and transmission connected without a custom shaft, and i dont want to waste the money when I am going to be getting the 9inch and back half going. So i am going to push the read end up and get working on that. Some current issues i need some feed back with:

1. Does anyone know which brake lines go where on the abs module, i googled, and checked my manual and found no info.

2.Whats the opinion on the back half setup and the best way to do that? I currently have a couple of sticks of 2x3x1/8" tubing to do it with, but im not sure how far forward to run them. The car is pretty low and there are not really and front frame rails. My initial idea was to weld a bar on the front section of the back seat area from seam to seam, and then take my supports straight up straight across and then back down and another bar straight across where the bumper area is. I was thinking this might not be the strongest way to do this though and may need more of a front rail situation going on. When i drop the gas tank and rear end ill take some picks to assess the situation. I have only seen one magnum tubbed, and he took the rails all the way to the firewall, seemed like a lot but im not sure.

Last edited by lenogris; 06/06/20 11:40 AM.
Re: 2005 Magnum Build [Re: lenogris] #2785212
06/14/20 12:08 AM
06/14/20 12:08 AM
Southern Missouri
Wailin D Offline
Wailin D  Offline

Southern Missouri
In late 2013 and early 2014 Mopar Muscle magazine did a build series where they took a wrecked late model Challenger and built it into a back halfed four link race car. I tried to find the entire suspension article, but was only able to find two pictures of the rear four link suspension. I may have some Super Stock Challenger suspension pictures (four link - tubbed) that I will share if I can find them. I am assuming there is similarity between the rear suspensions of the Magnum and Challenger since they were built on the same assembly line. The article link below mentions the suspension they used on the Challenger build.

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/2010-dodge-challenger-drag-project-track-test/

Capture.PNGCapture2.PNG
Last edited by Wailin D; 06/14/20 01:06 AM.
Re: 2005 Magnum Build [Re: Wailin D] #2786610
06/17/20 09:49 PM
06/17/20 09:49 PM
Oklahoma
L
lenogris Offline OP
lenogris  Offline OP
L

Oklahoma
thanks for the info thats good stuff. should be nearly identical to what im doing.

I moved the detailed info over to the LX forums figured it may be better place for it, however ill keep this post up to date with latest pictures.

I have gotten the cooling and power steering systems up ended up drilling the threads out on the power steering pump from the magnum and bolting it where the idler pulley went. Allowed better clearance for the radiator hose.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I also got the wheels and tires in. us wheels series 66 15x14 and mickey thompson et street s/s 31x18R15LT

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: 2005 Magnum Build [Re: lenogris] #2913010
04/21/21 04:45 PM
04/21/21 04:45 PM
S.E.Ohio
Magnumguy Offline
I Live Here
Magnumguy  Offline
I Live Here

S.E.Ohio
Lovin' it. ( not McD's either )

"Multiple Magnum owner since 1978!!"

https://www.facebook.com/groups/146952895354657/
Re: 2005 Magnum Build [Re: Magnumguy] #2914331
04/24/21 01:43 PM
04/24/21 01:43 PM
Home
S
SRT6776 Offline
I hate internal combustion engines!
SRT6776  Offline
I hate internal combustion engines!
S

Home
A guy on youtube did the same swap and documented it quite well in a video series, good to have if you run into any snags

Re: 2005 Magnum Build [Re: lenogris] #2926818
05/26/21 10:50 AM
05/26/21 10:50 AM
Las Vegas Nevada, USA
T
Tony21 Offline
Tony21  Offline
T

Las Vegas Nevada, USA
Excited to see how this turns out.

Re: 2005 Magnum Build [Re: Tony21] #2930558
06/06/21 05:22 PM
06/06/21 05:22 PM
Southern Missouri
Wailin D Offline
Wailin D  Offline

Southern Missouri
On Moparts they recently shared a new product that may be helpful. Moser has a solid axle swap kit for new generation Chargers and Challenger. Should work for the Magnum as well. However, I don't know if you can get it in a narrowed configuration so you can tub the car. Here's the link: https://moparconnectionmagazine.com/moser-engineerings-solid-axle-swap-kit-for-2009-up-challengers/

There is also a company that sells a "live axle" replacement module that bolts in place of the factory independent rear suspension module. I doubt that can be narrowed, but just thought I would share it: https://acmehpl.com/store/ACME-Big-Stick-Traction-Enhancement-Module-p203760486