MarkZ Offline
Worthy
MarkZ  Offline
Worthy

Michigan
Originally Posted by ChryCoGuy
Originally Posted by MarkM
Originally Posted by jcc

So what behavior exactly in your eyes spread COVID then pre rioting?

Are you thusly implying, if there is no outbreak in two weeks, COVID has flown the coop?

He is not denying close proximity spreads the virus. What the rioting and opening process is going to tell us in two to three weeks is just how far it has spread through the population asymptomatically already. Maybe we've reached a level of herd immunity that keeps it in check. Maybe the warming weather will also have an affect in keeping numbers down. Or maybe we'll have another outbreak. Either way, we're going to find out soon.

I think the flaw in this theory is that it appears that many of the rioters (at least in Minnesota) are from out of state, and will likely have returned back to their home states within a week or so, since the number of guardsmen to defend the cities are increasing greatly.

So, it will be difficult to contact trace, except for those who have been/will be arrested. Perhaps somebody should be compiling stats on the arrested rioters to determine the percentage of those who test positive for COVID-19 in the next two weeks...

That is a very good point with many of them being from out of state, or at least the region. You'd think governors would be wising up to this after Charlottesville and Ferguson and would stop people from entering the city, but not leaving....but I digress. Different areas of the country are going to have different immunity rates and getting useful data from this probably next to impossible. This is going to be a [censored] show.

1987 Fifth Avenue - 512/518/D60
Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: Jjs72D] #2779838
05/30/20 06:59 PM
05/30/20 06:59 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
Originally Posted by Jjs72D
I am curious as to who sets the guidelines for the businesses and such. Masks, distances, one way aisles and all of that. Is it the CDC? If not, who then? Governors ?
I ask because all I seem to see is some people blindly trusting someone above them that doles out the mandates. Nobody is questioning anyone?

There are 1820? replies in this thread so far, not sure there are two in agreement on anything.

Maybe you need to review this thread from the beginning.

Doesn't matter, "belief" is primarily it seems controlled by one's agenda.

In essence, a quick Recap:

Ventilators save lives, we need more
We have plenty, but where are they.
How much is "plenty", we don't know
Maybe CPAP machines could be substituted, No they can't
We will build more ventilators like in WW2 style, Naw its a private enterprise thing.
They are building more ventilators, but it takes time?
Were are the ventilators, China is hoarding them
We are building Ventilators, are we going to get paid for them
The ventilators are over priced, But what is a human life worth
We got the stockpiled US ventilators, but they all need to be repaired
Results seem to indicate use of a ventilators increases chance of death, but only for those who are dying
Ventilators are last choice in treatment, but only on those with existing threatening conditions
CPAP machines are shown to have a better COVID success rate, shsss!

Anybody that fell for the magical 6' safety distance, has never seen a dust storm. eyes

Last edited by jcc; 05/30/20 07:15 PM.

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: 360view] #2779842
05/30/20 07:05 PM
05/30/20 07:05 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
Originally Posted by 360view
Super-spreaders

https://www.france24.com/en/20200530-covid-19-super-spreaders-risk-causing-second-waves

Sample quote

However, a team from the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine estimated that 80 percent of infections are caused by only 10 percent of carriers.

End quote

That may number wise,correlate somewhat to the psychopath descriptive trait.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6426697/

"Psychopathy is a condition characterized by the absence of empathy and the blunting of other affective states. Callousness, detachment and a lack of empathy enable psychopaths to be highly manipulative."

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/basics/psychopathy

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: Jjs72D] #2779848
05/30/20 07:14 PM
05/30/20 07:14 PM
Michigan
MarkZ Offline
Worthy
MarkZ  Offline
Worthy

Michigan
Originally Posted by Jjs72D
I am curious as to who sets the guidelines for the businesses and such. Masks, distances, one way aisles and all of that. Is it the CDC? If not, who then? Governors ?
I ask because all I seem to see is some people blindly trusting someone above them that doles out the mandates. Nobody is questioning anyone?

That power rests solely within the Governorship of said State. The Fed can make recommendations, but the State is who sets the standards and who ultimately enforces it. States have their own health wonks that advise the governor on appropriate actions.

1987 Fifth Avenue - 512/518/D60
Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: 360view] #2779991
05/31/20 10:07 AM
05/31/20 10:07 AM
USA
360view Offline
Moparts resident spammer
360view  Offline
Moparts resident spammer

USA
The Wall Street Journal
May 30-31 Saturday-Sunday edition
has an article
“So Where Did the Virus Come From”
by Matt Ridley
on page C3
That is the most comprehensive I have yet read.

Sample quote:

... but a new paper by two scientists from the Agharkar Research Institute in Prune, India, show that it is the same as a published sample with a different name that was collected from an abandoned mineshaft in southern Yunnan in 2013, following an outbreak of pneumonia-like illness that killed three miners there the year before.

End quote

There is much more in the article, including a section about labs both in Chapel Hill NC and Wuhan, China, that intentionally cut and spliced genes into Coronaviruses to see if the modified viruses became more infectious or deadly.

Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: 360view] #2780072
05/31/20 01:35 PM
05/31/20 01:35 PM
(Central) PA
Runner2go Offline
I Live Here
Runner2go  Offline
I Live Here

(Central) PA
The Wall Street Journal
May 30-31 Saturday-Sunday edition
has an article
“So Where Did the Virus Come From”
by Matt Ridley
on page C3
That is the most comprehensive I have yet read.

Sample quote:

... but a new paper by two scientists from the Agharkar Research Institute in Prune, India, show that it is the same as a published sample with a different name that was collected from an abandoned mineshaft in southern Yunnan in 2013, following an outbreak of pneumonia-like illness that killed three miners there the year before.

End quote

There is much more in the article, including a section about labs both in Chapel Hill NC and Wuhan, China, that intentionally cut and spliced genes into Coronaviruses to see if the modified viruses became more infectious or deadly.

A cave in Yunnan is where the Chinese found the SARS-Corona carrying Bats that they brought back to the Wuhan Virus Lab in Dec 2017. 1000+ miles away and many many times the distance the Bats would have traveled during their lifetimes if left alone.

I saw a guy interviewed on TV a week ago that said recent studies by a group of scientists in Australia indicate the current Covid-19 is modified. The commie run WHO denies it... the CDC which also has to bend to political pressure on our side also denies it. But as a general point... I would NOT to just blow off a group of scientists from outside the 2 major countries at odds. (US/China) Australia doesn't really have much to gain by siding with either China or the US... So maybe their scientists still have independent thought... unlike most that always find in favor of whoever is paying the bill, or carries the biggest club.

Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: Runner2go] #2780120
05/31/20 05:38 PM
05/31/20 05:38 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
Why does any of this matter?
Fellow Man is the most lethal risk we face.
History has proven that.
It will never end.
When you get rid of Nukes, machine guns, MRV's, napalm, hate, etc, I'll check back in.

PS, Most people have enough sense not to eat Bat Guano, but not everyone.

Last edited by jcc; 05/31/20 05:40 PM.

Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: jcc] #2780204
05/31/20 09:54 PM
05/31/20 09:54 PM
Jefferson State
S
srt Offline
ESYC
srt  Offline
ESYC
S

Jefferson State
I still can't figure why we need an ah-haaa moment on wow the virus enetered the human population. To me it's much more important to put resources into containing and developing a vaccine.
Herd immunity will take too much time, miracle cures. probably not, social distancing/financial ruin heck no, vaccine, december (of what year).. We are already plodding down the do noting path, accentuated by large gatherings at popular recreation sites, and demonstrations in many metro areas. let's see how that works at taxing our medical facilities and workers.
It's pretty apparent our leadership and social structure is incapable of coming up with a viable plan acceptable to a majority of us.
Good luck everyone.

Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: srt] #2780231
06/01/20 01:03 AM
06/01/20 01:03 AM
(Central) PA
Runner2go Offline
I Live Here
Runner2go  Offline
I Live Here

(Central) PA
Covid-19 going off into the sunset all by itself... just like SARS did in 2003-04

Italy : Coronavirus is losing its potency and has become much less lethal

Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: Runner2go] #2780236
06/01/20 01:58 AM
06/01/20 01:58 AM
Jefferson State
S
srt Offline
ESYC
srt  Offline
ESYC
S

Jefferson State
Originally Posted by Runner2go
Covid-19 go off into the sunset all by itself... just like SARS did in 2003-04

Italy : Coronavirus is losing its potency and has become much less lethal

I agree , fade away, given enough time.
Italy, per the article had some of the most strict lock down in Europe. As Italy has just begun relaxing the lock-down it will, indeed, be interesting to see how cases react.
Here, early reports from memorial weekend activities are not totally encouraging. Perhaps the Italian strain should be studied for replication and distribution?
I hope the Italian Dr is right, again, time will tell. I suppose we will all stand-by guess and by gollying. Our experts have not really been full of encouraging info and the data, is frankly not substantial.

Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: 360view] #2780311
06/01/20 12:32 PM
06/01/20 12:32 PM
USA
360view Offline
Moparts resident spammer
360view  Offline
Moparts resident spammer

USA
News reports this morning that Russia Is finding the Japanese drug Avigan (generic favipiravir ) helpful in treating COVID-19, similar to good reports from Japan and China earlier.

https://www.fujifilm.com/news/n200415.html

USA has not approved Avigan because it causes birth defects in babies if taken by pregnant women.

Last edited by 360view; 06/01/20 12:35 PM.
Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: 360view] #2780314
06/01/20 12:34 PM
06/01/20 12:34 PM
USA
360view Offline
Moparts resident spammer
360view  Offline
Moparts resident spammer

USA
Pancreatic drug Camostat getting clinical trial

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-06-repurposed-drug-covid-trial-cancer.html

Sample quote

Camostat has a proven safety record because it's already used to treat patients with chronic pancreatitis, a disease that causes severe pain because of an inflamed pancreas. This meant it could proceed straight to a phase III clinical trial, to see if it is effective against COVID-19.

The trial will take place in the community, recruiting people with symptoms of COVID-19 that don't yet need hospital care. Those receiving treatment will take daily doses of the tablet and all patients will be assessed daily by telephone and self-report their temperature and blood oxygen levels. The objective of the trial is to see if taking camostat early after COVID-19 symptoms begin can stop the infection from getting worse, reducing the need to go to hospital.

Dr. Bobojon Nazarov, founder of Latus Therapeutics, said: "Camostat belongs to the only class of drug that has a strong mechanistic basis for blocking entry of the virus into human cells. We believe this drug could be used to reduce the severity of COVID-19 infection, providing much needed time for the body's immune system to recognise the virus and destroy it. Unlike finding a vaccine, this drug could be used quickly to help people recover from COVID-19."

End quote

Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: 360view] #2780334
06/01/20 01:40 PM
06/01/20 01:40 PM
USA
360view Offline
Moparts resident spammer
360view  Offline
Moparts resident spammer

USA
Article on the 11 clinical trials testing whether “laughing gas” can either aid lung function or perhaps kill the COVID-19 virus directly:

https://cen.acs.org/biological-chem...as-can-treat-and-prevent-COVID-19/98/i20

Sample quote

Generally, NO is administered in the hospital, using a gas tank. The treatment is widely available but can cost thousands of dollars. For the preventative NO trial in health-care workers, Berra is collaborating with Warren Zapol, an anesthesiologist at Harvard University, to test a new delivery method. Zapol invented a device that uses iridium and platinum spark plugs to zap oxygen and nitrogen gases in air to form NO. The electric NO device can produce limitless quantities of the gas for pennies. “It’s such a simple way to make NO,” Zapol says. “You don’t need any chemicals, you don’t need anything—you just need air.”

End quote

Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: 360view] #2780339
06/01/20 01:50 PM
06/01/20 01:50 PM
USA
360view Offline
Moparts resident spammer
360view  Offline
Moparts resident spammer

USA
What the shorthand letters GOF means in virus research
“Gain of Function”

https://www.realclearscience.com/ar...ek_out_deadly_viruses_to_find_cures.html

Sample quote

The debate isn’t new. In 2014, President Obama suspended all research in the U.S. on GOF in viruses so pros and cons could be considered. The arguments on both sides are well expressed by Albert Osterhuis of Erasmus University: “You could create a monster. But it’s a monster that nature could produce as well.” Other scientists have called for alternatives to achieve the same result.

Professor Baric’s work at the time of the suspension was essentially grandfathered. In 2015, he and co-workers published an article describing a laboratory-synthesized coronavirus with the ability to jump from mammal to mammal. Translation: a coronavirus with a gain of function was created in his lab.

End quote

Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: 360view] #2780340
06/01/20 01:55 PM
06/01/20 01:55 PM
Kirkland, Washington
Pacnorthcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
Pacnorthcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

Kirkland, Washington
Medical grade Nitrous Oxide isn’t expensive, in fact, it’s cheap. If N2O had an application in this battle it could be done affordably.

I would volunteer for trials! Please?

Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: 360view] #2780358
06/01/20 02:30 PM
06/01/20 02:30 PM
USA
360view Offline
Moparts resident spammer
360view  Offline
Moparts resident spammer

USA

Sample quote

A study conducted in Sydney during the early epidemic stage of COVID-19 has found an association between lower humidity and an increase in locally acquired positive cases. Researchers discovered a 1 percent decrease in humidity could increase the number of COVID-19 cases by 6 percent.

End quote

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-06-humidity-linked-covid-.html

Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: 360view] #2780361
06/01/20 02:34 PM
06/01/20 02:34 PM
Kirkland, Washington
Pacnorthcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
Pacnorthcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

Kirkland, Washington
So boil the water, turn on the Sun, and start huffing the gas?

Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: 360view] #2780402
06/01/20 04:37 PM
06/01/20 04:37 PM
(Central) PA
Runner2go Offline
I Live Here
Runner2go  Offline
I Live Here

(Central) PA
Article on the 11 clinical trials testing whether “laughing gas” can either aid lung function or perhaps kill the COVID-19 virus directly:

https://cen.acs.org/biological-chem...as-can-treat-and-prevent-COVID-19/98/i20

Sample quote

Generally, NO is administered in the hospital, using a gas tank. The treatment is widely available but can cost thousands of dollars. For the preventative NO trial in health-care workers, Berra is collaborating with Warren Zapol, an anesthesiologist at Harvard University, to test a new delivery method. Zapol invented a device that uses iridium and platinum spark plugs to zap oxygen and nitrogen gases in air to form NO. The electric NO device can produce limitless quantities of the gas for pennies. “It’s such a simple way to make NO,” Zapol says. “You don’t need any chemicals, you don’t need anything—you just need air.”

End quote

Cost thousands...??? I've never been billed "thousands" from the dentist.
Besides I've still got about 5 boxes of whippets sitting on a shelf in the basement. biggrin
1st sign of The Rona... and I gonna crank up Floyd's "Several Species....." and pop a few in the dispenser. smoke

Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: Runner2go] #2780408
06/01/20 04:51 PM
06/01/20 04:51 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
Back in the day I got a pharmaceutical quote by fax by mistake on Tylenol 3 tablets, by the barrel. I asked my RN wife what the going rate was for the medication in the hospital. I believe she said it varies, but $8/tablet would likely be typical. The Barrel quoted price was $.003/ea. I can't legally post a mis sent fax, because they have more money then me. down

"Thousands" might be more accurate then we realize.

Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: Runner2go] #2780502
06/01/20 08:12 PM
06/01/20 08:12 PM
USA
360view Offline
Moparts resident spammer
360view  Offline
Moparts resident spammer

USA
I am not sure whether to believe two Italian MD who are chiefs of large hospitals,
or the historically suspect WHO staff.....

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-06-virus-potent-italian-doctor.html

Last edited by 360view; 06/02/20 06:39 AM. Reason: 2 MDs in Italy now state this
Page 92 of 136 1 2 90 91 92 93 94 135 136