05/25/20 03:10 PM
Mass
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here
DAYCLONA  Offline
I Live Here

Mass
Originally Posted by srt
Everyone has two choices as to how they may be exposed.
Vaccine, or no vaccine. With no vaccine there is the risk of becoming ill.
Granted there are problems with some vaccines.
I would not want to be in the first few trials or batches.
If proved safe it's a viable method to avoid the illness.

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a miracle cure vaccine... chances are it will never appear, and when/if it ever does, COV19 will have mutated to another strain, just like the last 7 variation have of SAR's since 2003

Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: DAYCLONA] #2778104
05/25/20 04:01 PM
05/25/20 04:01 PM
(Central) PA
Runner2go Offline
I Live Here
Runner2go  Offline
I Live Here

(Central) PA
Originally Posted by DAYCLONA
Originally Posted by srt

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a miracle cure vaccine... chances are it will never appear, and when/if it ever does, COV19 will have mutated to another strain, just like the last 7 variation have of SAR's since 2003
Bingo! iagree

Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: Runner2go] #2778108
05/25/20 04:14 PM
05/25/20 04:14 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
Originally Posted by Runner2go
Originally Posted by DAYCLONA
Originally Posted by srt

Bingo! iagree

Well if that is the case, with what we know today for certain, which is not much, anybody today that is under 40, if they reach over 70, has a pretty good chance of dying from COVID.
I'd cross my fingers on the vaccine.

edit, I have yet to hear there is definitive proof of immunity against re infection for any specific time period, for certain, nor that any mutations will be more or less infectious or lethal, nor will vaccines be able to stay ahead of any mutations, nor will the infrastructure ever be adequate and prefunded to safely handle in the US another outbreak exceeding the current 1.4? million cases nor whether if that happens in a worse case very steep nationwide simultaneous outbreak.

Last edited by jcc; 05/25/20 05:03 PM.

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: Runner2go] #2778114
05/25/20 04:32 PM
05/25/20 04:32 PM
Jefferson State
S
srt Online content
ESYC
srt  Online Content
ESYC
S

Jefferson State
I agree. Be careful while others play with the devils orifice dodging faith.
There may soon be enough that contract the virus (rather than reported) that we will hit 10% or even 20%. and it may begin to be controlled.
The social experiment of the "extreme" shut down showed cases and the surge was spread out. Now as areas are either slightly reducing, flattening or even slightly ramping up cases we can venture out to "check and see".
Several here venture guesses how I and others live our lives. I'd like to ask those that suggest the efforts are folly to tell us how they have changed their daily routine, if they've been tested, and if any of them or family have contracted.
I'll be first: Our days remain about the same, very busy retired, go shopping every 2 weeks instead of every week, have not had dinner or lunch out as everyplace closed have bought take and bake pizza three times (two at a time, freeze one). No tests in family. Family is wife and I, a single Step mom 5 kids and spouses (9 total), 9 grand kids (2 with spouses) and 4 great grand-kids. That's a total of 28, none have or had cv.

Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: Jjs72D] #2778136
05/25/20 06:52 PM
05/25/20 06:52 PM
Oregon
A
AndyF Offline
I Win
AndyF  Offline
I Win
A

Oregon
Originally Posted by Jjs72D
Originally Posted by nss guy
I would like to see the number of all deaths in the US no mater the cause for April 2019 vs April 2020. I think this would give a more accurate picture of what impact Covid-19 has had.

Excellent idea. My suspicion is that the overall death count will be less this year as compared to 2019.

I can't see how the overall death rate for the USA would be less in 2020 than in 2019, but it is possible that some states will see lower deaths in 2020 than in 2019. There are a few states in the west where that might be true as of today. Not sure it will still be true on Dec 31st, but last I saw it was true for a few states. NY is the one state that is really blowing up the curve for the US.

Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: AndyF] #2778146
05/25/20 07:25 PM
05/25/20 07:25 PM
PA.
pittsburghracer Offline
"Little"John
pittsburghracer  Offline
"Little"John

PA.
When you put cattle or humans in a smaller container virus and disease is sure to spread. Lockdown is starting to do ore bad than good. Those beaches, Boardwalks, race tracks, stores, restaurants, and anything else that is as open was way more cramped than they would have been. I had racing friends drive hundreds of miles to race in Ohio. I had friends on motorcycles ride to West Virginia to eat in restaurants. It’s going to get interesting soon.

1970 Duster
Edelbrock headed 408
5.984@112.52
422 Indy headed small block
5.982@112.56 mph
9.42@138.27

Livin and lovin life one day at a time

Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: AndyF] #2778179
05/25/20 08:51 PM
05/25/20 08:51 PM
Phoenix, AZ
Jjs72D Offline
Deep in the closet
Jjs72D  Offline
Deep in the closet

Phoenix, AZ
Originally Posted by AndyF
Originally Posted by Jjs72D
Originally Posted by nss guy
I would like to see the number of all deaths in the US no mater the cause for April 2019 vs April 2020. I think this would give a more accurate picture of what impact Covid-19 has had.

Excellent idea. My suspicion is that the overall death count will be less this year as compared to 2019.

I can't see how the overall death rate for the USA would be less in 2020 than in 2019, but it is possible that some states will see lower deaths in 2020 than in 2019. There are a few states in the west where that might be true as of today. Not sure it will still be true on Dec 31st, but last I saw it was true for a few states. NY is the one state that is really blowing up the curve for the US.

My point was that with so many of us that at least initially complied with staying inside, there is surely fewer people dying from car accidents and other accidents. Fewer deaths from all sources. The CDC just released a report stating that their revised numbers show that the actual death count and survival rates of this virus are FAR different from original estimates. Something like .024% death rate. Yeah, these Wolf-Crying idiots wrecked economies and locked people away for this.

Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: Jjs72D] #2778187
05/25/20 09:24 PM
05/25/20 09:24 PM
Jefferson State
S
srt Online content
ESYC
srt  Online Content
ESYC
S

Jefferson State
Over the years I'd been involved with development of projects, policies and procedures that were well researched, properly developed with vetting by all stakeholders.
When presented to the decision makers they sometimes decided to shelve implementation as it would be politically sensitive to them.
As part of the team the worked on the project we realized we had to let the decision makers be responsible for their action/inaction. Our mantra was "let it develop". The issue, need, and means were put into a filing cabinet to later emerge. One of our senior members would offer "we'll leave that door shut so we can run into it full steam later". I remember that as a lesson early in my career. It still rings true.
Bottom line is we have no choice other than to lay low and be careful, or throw caution to the wind and let others be responsible for our well being.

Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: srt] #2778214
05/25/20 11:50 PM
05/25/20 11:50 PM
Phoenix, AZ
Jjs72D Offline
Deep in the closet
Jjs72D  Offline
Deep in the closet

Phoenix, AZ
To my point:
https://www.westernjournal.com/cdcs...death-rate-13-times-lower-initial-claim/

Also, to all my fellow Americans: G O O D luck trying to lock down the country if this flares up again. We have been scammed as I have been saying from the start.
A popular word in pop culture now is WOKE.
I don't embrace stuff such as that but in this case, it truly fits. People are waking up to this scam. Oppressive measures by certain Governors will negatively affect their futures.

Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: Jjs72D] #2778225
05/26/20 01:06 AM
05/26/20 01:06 AM
Jefferson State
S
srt Online content
ESYC
srt  Online Content
ESYC
S

Jefferson State
Beware the western journal site 3 cookies and 9 trackers with a single click! Dang near stalled out my computer.
Going directly to the cdc site shows 6% of us cv cases end in death, yes there are other unconfirmed cases. Lets say 6% of severe cases end in death and be done with it. Until somehow everyone gets tested will we know the final number. The only way I could get close was taking deaths of 99,200/328.2m (us population) x100= 0.3%. Better to examine that # after a large segment of us population carries antibodies (illness or vaccine).
I can't figure where cdc data shows the % in your linked page.
I can't figure who got scammed, who's responsible for taking us down this financially destructive path?
Your last sentence, I suppose pertains to the desperate search for direction? This pandemic is surely not bringing out the best in people who might do well pulling together. The rifts can heal and for sure the country will get through this. As to the individuals that survive, that is a crap-shoot.

Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: srt] #2778239
05/26/20 05:12 AM
05/26/20 05:12 AM
USA
360view Offline
Moparts resident spammer
360view  Offline
Moparts resident spammer

USA
Originally Posted by srt

Going directly to the cdc site shows 6% of us cv cases end in death, yes there are other unconfirmed cases.

That is not the official CDC latest analysis.

Go up to post # 2777943 and spend a little time going over that complicated new report’s numbers.

Note the CDC used ratios not percents.

Note the CDC says that 35% of the infected do not show symptoms,
then give ratios for the 65% who do show symptoms.

So for the total USA population multiply the CDC ratios in their tables by 0.65

Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: 360view] #2778242
05/26/20 06:14 AM
05/26/20 06:14 AM
Ringtown, Pa.
Dartsport540 Offline
top fuel
Dartsport540  Offline
top fuel

Ringtown, Pa.
Glad that you same group of guys have been carrying on for 2 or 3 pages since Thursday. Just got back from racing from Thursday to Monday evening. Our 1st race of the year. Over 360 racers at our track. There was some social distancing, a few wearing masks.

In our county of our state (Pa.) . Last time I looked, 13 people have died of covid 19 since the beginning. I see the normal 5 to about 15 people in the obituaries every day, dying from other things. Most of them are 70 to 95 years old. I know of 1 covid death, about 4 miles away. The guy lived in an apartment above a shop where my brother works. Guy was self quarantined after he got sick. He did have other health issues. No body at the shop got sick.

I have been working every day at my auto repair shop since this sh%t started , 6:30 a.m. until 5:00 p.m., 5 days a week. I had about 5 slow days this year. Other than those few slow days, life goes on pretty normally. Hover at home if you want, or go on with life. The choice is yours.

548 cu. in., Bill Mitchell Aluminum Block, CRT 727 auto trans, Alston Chassis. 8.981et at 149.46 mph. 1.204et - 60 foot, So Far....
Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: Dartsport540] #2778289
05/26/20 10:39 AM
05/26/20 10:39 AM
(Central) PA
Runner2go Offline
I Live Here
Runner2go  Offline
I Live Here

(Central) PA
Originally Posted by Dartsport540
Glad that you same group of guys have been carrying on for 2 or 3 pages since Thursday. Just got back from racing from Thursday to Monday evening. Our 1st race of the year. Over 360 racers at our track. There was some social distancing, a few wearing masks.

In our county of our state (Pa.) . Last time I looked, 13 people have died of covid 19 since the beginning. I see the normal 5 to about 15 people in the obituaries every day, dying from other things. Most of them are 70 to 95 years old. I know of 1 covid death, about 4 miles away. The guy lived in an apartment above a shop where my brother works. Guy was self quarantined after he got sick. He did have other health issues. No body at the shop got sick.

I have been working every day at my auto repair shop since this sh%t started , 6:30 a.m. until 5:00 p.m., 5 days a week. I had about 5 slow days this year. Other than those few slow days, life goes on pretty normally. Hover at home if you want, or go on with life. The choice is yours.

Just curious... Did the track get some sort of exemption to open from Wolf? shruggy
Or did it just go rouge, like many other businesses are finally starting to do in PA? whistling

Since there is still not one "Green" county in the State... max gatherings of 25 are "technically" the rule of the day.
Our local track "Maple Grove" hasn't posted an update of any kind since April 14th; be it schedule changes or opening.

But it's good to finally see some things returning to normal, despite the Governors best efforts to stop it.
Too many are already shutting their doors forever thanks to this States heavy hand. flame

Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: Runner2go] #2778293
05/26/20 10:59 AM
05/26/20 10:59 AM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
This whole ordeal is just a prelude to future Climate change IMO:
"but you said sea level was going to up 26' and it only went up 18', and there has only 3 cat 6 storms instead of the predicted 5"

( Don't anybody get their panties in an uproar, there is currently no such thing as a cat 6 storm, yet)

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: Jjs72D] #2778307
05/26/20 11:34 AM
05/26/20 11:34 AM
o
C
ChryCoGuy Offline
master
ChryCoGuy  Offline
master
C

o
All this stuff about death rates this year vs last year - help me understand.

Are you trying to make a point that COVID-19 is not real (like some kind of conspiracy theory)?

If that's the case, then is it normal for some areas to set up temporary morgues or use refrigerated semi trailers to store all the dead bodies, like some of the reports I have read? Is it normal to have to send a US military hospital ship to certain places to help with hospital overload? If not normal, then why are we asking about death rates? It doesn't make sense.

I dunno, I tend to be somewhat logical in my thinking, and some of the stuff I read from time to time seems 'way out there', as if to prove some kind of point that isn't even clear.

Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: ChryCoGuy] #2778328
05/26/20 12:24 PM
05/26/20 12:24 PM
Oregon
A
AndyF Offline
I Win
AndyF  Offline
I Win
A

Oregon
Originally Posted by ChryCoGuy

Are you trying to make a point that COVID-19 is not real (like some kind of conspiracy theory)?

If that's the case, then is it normal for some areas to set up temporary morgues or use refrigerated semi trailers to store all the dead bodies, like some of the reports I have read? Is it normal to have to send a US military hospital ship to certain places to help with hospital overload? If not normal, then why are we asking about death rates? It doesn't make sense.

I dunno, I tend to be somewhat logical in my thinking, and some of the stuff I read from time to time seems 'way out there', as if to prove some kind of point that isn't even clear.

It makes sense if you're trying to understand what is happening. Here in Oregon where I live the average death rate is around 100 per day. This year with the virus the death rate has increased to roughly 101 or 102 per day. That is useful information if you own a business in Oregon.

Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: AndyF] #2778335
05/26/20 12:49 PM
05/26/20 12:49 PM
Land 'O Lakes
RoadRunnerLuva Offline
master
RoadRunnerLuva  Offline
master

Land 'O Lakes
A human life is waaaay more precious and valuable, than ANY business, small or big...even if that life is 9 yrs. old or 99 yrs. old...if that life lives in Oregon, or Katmandu...doesn't matter. What do YOU value YOUR life at??? Is it worth giving up, so a store can re-open it's doors to sell donuts or fill in the blank ---? rolleyes
If you think it is...go on out there, stand close to somebody, let them breath all over you, cough and sneeze on you, be a so called "warrior" and take it for "the team".

Plymouth Makes It!
Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: ChryCoGuy] #2778348
05/26/20 01:43 PM
05/26/20 01:43 PM
Benton, IL.
D
DaveRS23 Offline
Special needs idiot
DaveRS23  Offline
Special needs idiot
D

Benton, IL.
Originally Posted by ChryCoGuy

The examples you quote are actually good examples of over reaction by our leaders. Not so much as to the ferocity of the virus.

The portable morgues are only in very few places. Places that have had devastating nursing home infections. Most of which are the result of politician's decisions.
https://abc7ny.com/nursing-home-deaths-cuomo-criticized-in-new-york/6168676/

And funny you should mention the USN Comfort to make the point that you were trying to make. That was an overreaction to totally inaccurate predictions. You did know that the ship left New York early after having treated only 189 people, don't you?
https://www.navytimes.com/news/your...-having-treated-fewer-than-200-patients/

They also converted McCormick Place is Chicago to handle the expected numbers of Coronavirus patients. But, once again, it went mainly unused and was shut down.
https://news.wttw.com/2020/05/01/fi...-after-treating-few-patients-curve-bends

And then there is this, the very best example of all of the hype and exaggeration by our leaders: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Clt...BGnLuyMVrDstlGMX7vfvgV26PQBJ4SJzH4ufgsW0

People are dying. And some of those deaths probably could have been prevented. But to shut down much of the nation over this is not the answer. Especially the way it was done. More and more people are seeing this for what it really was. And that erodes even further what little confidence that folks have in their leaders.

Master, again and still
Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: 360view] #2778352
05/26/20 01:52 PM
05/26/20 01:52 PM
USA
360view Offline
Moparts resident spammer
360view  Offline
Moparts resident spammer

USA
About the year 1994 Dr Alan Roses at Duke announced that a gene called ApoE4 made human carriers much more likely to come down with Alzhiemer’s disease, and within a week scientists nearby at UNC-CH announced that gene version ApoE2 was linked to higher cholesterol levels. There are also versions ApoE1 and ApoE3.

Now British researchers report that
carriers of the ApoE4 gene get worse cases of COVID-19 while
carriers of ApoE3 get milder cases

https://www.upi.com/Health_News/202...rious-COVID-19-study-says/6521590504546/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apolipoprotein_E

Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: RoadRunnerLuva] #2778360
05/26/20 02:10 PM
05/26/20 02:10 PM
Benton, IL.
D
DaveRS23 Offline
Special needs idiot
DaveRS23  Offline
Special needs idiot
D

Benton, IL.
Originally Posted by RoadRunnerLuva
A human life is waaaay more precious and valuable, than ANY business, small or big...even if that life is 9 yrs. old or 99 yrs. old...if that life lives in Oregon, or Katmandu...doesn't matter. What do YOU value YOUR life at??? Is it worth giving up, so a store can re-open it's doors to sell donuts or fill in the blank ---? rolleyes
If you think it is...go on out there, stand close to somebody, let them breath all over you, cough and sneeze on you, be a so called "warrior" and take it for "the team".

Well, I guess that is one way to look at it. But there is another side to this that is a bunch more pragmatic and a lot less overwrought.

The average healthy middle aged person has a minuscule chance of dying from this virus. By minuscule, I mean .0something. And you want that person to risk loosing all that he has worked for, possibly for years, to protect someone else. Someone whose lifestyle may have contributed to their personal vulnerability. Someone, whom if they do what they are told, and quarantine themselves, should not be dependent on someone else's actions.

People should take responsibility for their own health and safety. Especially the most vulnerable of us. My own father is 91 and in a nursing home. I have seen him once in two months. At a distance. That is difficult, but very necessary. He and his facility must be protected from this infection for obvious reasons. But that means quarantining them, not the rest of us.

For someone half his age and in good health, being locked away does little to nothing for them. And more and more indications are that lock downs do little for the rates of infections across large areas. Targeted quarantines appear to be much more effective.

So destroying a person's financial health may do nothing for the health of the world at large.

Master, again and still
Page 86 of 136 1 2 84 85 86 87 88 135 136