05/22/20 09:33 PM
05/22/20 09:33 PM
Friendly, WV
wedgeheaded Offline OP
pro stock
wedgeheaded  Offline OP
pro stock

Friendly, WV
I bought a pair of black leather, power, lumbar, heated seats with memory. I don't care about the memory or the heat. The PS hooked up and works fine but all I get from the DS is twitches, jerks, and nothing. I have power getting to the memory module and the lumbar works. I'm using the bk and the rd wires to bring in the power. My switch seems to be changing state, I'm thinking the memory module is bad but I hate to spend a bunch to find out. The thing is, I'm flying blind. I can't find where anybody had done this or tried on a 1st gen. Any insights or thoughts are welcome

95659653_224969192291423_113967781833080832_n.jpg
Re: 2014 power seats into my 92 CTD, need help [Re: wedgeheaded] #2777233
05/22/20 10:06 PM
05/22/20 10:06 PM
Freeport IL USA
poorboy Offline
I Live Here
poorboy  Offline
I Live Here

Freeport IL USA
I've installed a bunch of newer power seats, but none new enough to have a memory.
My 1st question is can you bypass the memory?

Next thought, its not unusual for the driver side power seat to crap out before the passenger side power seat does, especially if the original vehicle has 2 or more regular drivers. The driver seat tends to move a lot more often then a passenger seat does. I've seen a lot of broken seat frames that will bind up the seat movement. It seems as though the modern era of seat frames (since about 1990) are not designed to handle the extra weight many people tend to carry around these days.

The seat should have 3 motors, one for forward and reverse movement, one to raise and lower the front of the seat, and one to raise and lower the rear of the seat. The seat drive motors are a direct drive setup, power one way moves the seat in one direction, and by reversing the wires, the seat moves in the other direction. It should be possible to feed power directly to each seat motor (in both directions) and see if each of the motors are functioning. If you can power the motors and the seat moves, the issue is probably related to the memory function.

Above it all, my bet is on a broken seat frame, or broken or bent parts in the power adjusting brackets. Gene

Re: 2014 power seats into my 92 CTD, need help [Re: poorboy] #2777346
05/23/20 12:13 PM
05/23/20 12:13 PM
Canada -- Posts: 4034 -Registe...
5thAve Offline
Doesn't care what this says anyway
5thAve  Offline

The memory module might be looking for inputs from another computer that it's not seeing. You might want to start with finding another power seat without that option and swapping the wiring harnesses to get rid of it. If all the seat movements aren't moving it's probably something more then the motor part. When those go bad you loose forward/back or one of the up/down things not everything.

Re: 2014 power seats into my 92 CTD, need help [Re: poorboy] #2777419
05/23/20 05:50 PM
05/23/20 05:50 PM
Friendly, WV
wedgeheaded Offline OP
pro stock
wedgeheaded  Offline OP
pro stock

Friendly, WV

I bought these at the nats a couple yrs back. Based on the name "Laramie" tooled into the back, I'm guessing them to be 2014 or newer, they're in great condition, I don't see any damage but I won't rule it out. I'd happily bypass the memory if I could, but I don't have a clue. I've read that a new module would need to be flashed. Are the motors 12V? I'm thinking I read somewhere that the motors got lower voltage. I'm looking into a wiring harnes for non memory, then I'd need a different control switch. I just have way more questions than answers. I'll try to hotwire the motors and see what happens. I want to confirm the woltage first. I checked the output voltage ftom the module when I operated the SW and got 5V. I don't know if it's too low or not, this might indicate the module is bad. I'll try something.

Originally Posted by poorboy
I've installed a bunch of newer power seats, but none new enough to have a memory.
My 1st question is can you bypass the memory?

Next thought, its not unusual for the driver side power seat to crap out before the passenger side power seat does, especially if the original vehicle has 2 or more regular drivers. The driver seat tends to move a lot more often then a passenger seat does. I've seen a lot of broken seat frames that will bind up the seat movement. It seems as though the modern era of seat frames (since about 1990) are not designed to handle the extra weight many people tend to carry around these days.

The seat should have 3 motors, one for forward and reverse movement, one to raise and lower the front of the seat, and one to raise and lower the rear of the seat. The seat drive motors are a direct drive setup, power one way moves the seat in one direction, and by reversing the wires, the seat moves in the other direction. It should be possible to feed power directly to each seat motor (in both directions) and see if each of the motors are functioning. If you can power the motors and the seat moves, the issue is probably related to the memory function.

Above it all, my bet is on a broken seat frame, or broken or bent parts in the power adjusting brackets. Gene

Re: 2014 power seats into my 92 CTD, need help [Re: 5thAve] #2777421
05/23/20 05:54 PM
05/23/20 05:54 PM
Friendly, WV
wedgeheaded Offline OP
pro stock
wedgeheaded  Offline OP
pro stock

Friendly, WV
Originally Posted by 5thAve
The memory module might be looking for inputs from another computer that it's not seeing. You might want to start with finding another power seat without that option and swapping the wiring harnesses to get rid of it. If all the seat movements aren't moving it's probably something more then the motor part. When those go bad you loose forward/back or one of the up/down things not everything.

I'm looking for a non memory harnes and switch. I'm concerned that it's looking for inputs it's not going to get. I just don't know enough about how it works.

Re: 2014 power seats into my 92 CTD, need help [Re: wedgeheaded] #2777655
05/24/20 11:29 AM
05/24/20 11:29 AM
5thAve Offline
5thAve  Offline

Does this wiring diagram help?

https://mopar1973man.com/external-media/image/4thgen/2018wiring/body/seats/memoryseats.png

I would have thought with the power those motors need they'd be running at 12V. If you check what voltage the passenger seat uses driver should be the same.
Another thought- make sure the ground ion the seat is good. When I swapped seats in my 2014 Charger it was doing some weird things when the ground was loose.

Re: 2014 power seats into my 92 CTD, need help [Re: 5thAve] #2777857
05/24/20 10:24 PM
05/24/20 10:24 PM
Friendly, WV
wedgeheaded Offline OP
pro stock
wedgeheaded  Offline OP
pro stock

Friendly, WV
Originally Posted by 5thAve
Does this wiring diagram help?

https://mopar1973man.com/external-media/image/4thgen/2018wiring/body/seats/memoryseats.png

I would have thought with the power those motors need they'd be running at 12V. If you check what voltage the passenger seat uses driver should be the same.
Another thought- make sure the ground ion the seat is good. When I swapped seats in my 2014 Charger it was doing some weird things when the ground was loose.

I have that print and it does help, thanks. I didn't actually ground the seat frame, the PS worked fine without it so I just assumed, I'll try that. According to that print, it looks like 12V applied to rd and bk wires should do the trick. Maybe my controller is bad? Maybe it's the switch? Maybe it needs other inputs from something else. There is so much I don't know about this beast. Push comes to shove, I'll rob the wiring harness from the PS and see if the DS will operate from it. I may need $200 worth of jumpers, but I will beat this thing. I'm an electrician. I can make it work. I want to make it work right and understand it. I'll get it. I do appreciate any thoughts or insights from everybody who has posted up. I'll keep you all posted on progress.

Re: 2014 power seats into my 92 CTD, need help [Re: wedgeheaded] #2778486
05/26/20 07:37 PM
05/26/20 07:37 PM
Friendly, WV
wedgeheaded Offline OP
pro stock
wedgeheaded  Offline OP
pro stock

Friendly, WV
More by accident than anything else, I got it working, some. I think everything is just stiff and gummed up. I put the WD40 to it and I'll try again tomorow evening. I think I'm tripping an internal overload, whis has to reset each time I try it. I'll keep you posted.

Re: 2014 power seats into my 92 CTD, need help [Re: wedgeheaded] #2782802
06/08/20 01:58 PM
06/08/20 01:58 PM
Friendly, WV
wedgeheaded Offline OP
pro stock
wedgeheaded  Offline OP
pro stock

Friendly, WV
OK, I threw in the towel. I ordered a bunch of 6 pin, DPDT switches and I'm going old school. Won't be long now.