05/15/20 10:05 PM
05/15/20 10:05 PM
Irving, TX
feets Offline OP
Senior Management
feets  Offline OP
Senior Management

Irving, TX
I got a letter in the mail today from the county health department urging an immediate response. Assuming it was Covid related I gave 'em a call.
The epidemiologist I spoke with started talking about my Covid diagnosis.
My what?
Yeah, that test I took on APRIL FRIGGIN NINTH came back positive. The seems they had two digits wrong in my phone number and resorted to snail mail.

I had been working out of my home shop and in the evenings I was helping a friend with his home remodel. One of the crew working on the house had been diagnosed with the cooties. The foreman told the homeowner. My friend (the homeowner) then told me. The next morning I went down to the local testing location and got my sinuses stuffed.

A few days later I got that little feeling that comes on a day or two before I get the flu. It's like my body is giving me a heads up but I don't actually feel sick. For some reason it stuck around about a week. I also had some strong headaches for a week or so. Other than that, I felt normal. I was keeping an eye out for the common symptoms (as they were known in early April). Nothing ever came from it.

Knowing that the nasty little bug was around I tried to stay away from people, avoided my parents entirely, and kept doing my thing.

In our phone call today the doc asked a bunch of questions but never sounded concerned. She told me that she was not going to put any travel restrictions on me and that I was not contagious. We discussed people I had been in contact with (surprisingly few) and told me to get tested again if I started showing any symptoms.

I guess the little virus buggers didn't have much interest in me and I got off easy. Sadly, not everyone gets the fair shake and a friend is planning her father's memorial as a result.

It looks like I had the bug, didn't know it, and I'm over in the "recovered" column now. Hooray medical science? Hooray luck of the draw?

Either way, remember that there really is a bug out there doing bad things. You and only you are responsible for your health.
Do your best to take care of yourself, try to not share your unknown cooties with others, and we'll see you on the road soon.

We are brothers and sisters doing time on the planet for better or worse. I'll take the better, if you don't mind.
- Stu Harmon
Re: It's official. I got the cooties. [Re: feets] #2774987
05/15/20 10:18 PM
05/15/20 10:18 PM
Texas
GoodysGotaCuda Offline
5.7L Hemi, 6spd
GoodysGotaCuda  Offline
5.7L Hemi, 6spd

Texas
Glad to hear it sounds like you are in good shape!

1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi, T56 Magnum 6spd - https://www.facebook.com/GoodysGotaHemi
2020 RAM 1500
[img]https://i.imgur.com/v9yezP9.jpg[/img]
Re: It's official. I got the cooties. [Re: GoodysGotaCuda] #2774990
05/15/20 10:31 PM
05/15/20 10:31 PM
Fulton County, PA
C
CMcAllister Offline
Mr. Helpful
CMcAllister  Offline
Mr. Helpful
C

Fulton County, PA
If you were in Pennsylvania, you'd be listed as a "new" case by Rachel. Gotta pad those numbers.

If the results don't match the theory, change the theory.
Re: It's official. I got the cooties. [Re: CMcAllister] #2774993
05/15/20 10:42 PM
05/15/20 10:42 PM
Iowa
burdar Online work
Owen's Dad
burdar  Online Work
Owen's Dad

Iowa
My wife got tested 4 weeks ago because she works in a nursing home as a physical therapist assistant. She still hasn't gotten her results back. My sister claims she's fighting this thing for the second time although she has never been tested. shruggy

Re: It's official. I got the cooties. [Re: burdar] #2774995
05/15/20 10:51 PM
05/15/20 10:51 PM
Arlington, Texas
B
bobby66 Offline
master
bobby66  Offline
master
B

Arlington, Texas
Damn, take care of yourself. Did they prescribe anything for it?

Re: It's official. I got the cooties. [Re: bobby66] #2775025
05/16/20 07:27 AM
05/16/20 07:27 AM
Abilene, Texas
F
fastmark Offline
master
fastmark  Offline
master
F

Abilene, Texas
When this thing runs its coarse, I think we will find out your case is the normal. People with poor immune systems or other complications are the ones that get really sick. I doubt that info will ever get published though. I’m pretty sure my wife and I have already had it.

Re: It's official. I got the cooties. [Re: feets] #2775028
05/16/20 07:51 AM
05/16/20 07:51 AM
USA
360view Offline
Moparts resident spammer
360view  Offline
Moparts resident spammer

USA
I am glad you are OK.

Consider saving the lives of others less lucky by going down and donating plasma.

Re: It's official. I got the cooties. [Re: 360view] #2775040
05/16/20 09:04 AM
05/16/20 09:04 AM

R
RWG75
Unregistered
RWG75
Unregistered
R

My girl works in retail and has always had crippling anxiety issues. This coronis thing has her out on the ledge. A few days ago she started with the headache, body aches, fever and leaned on her GP to get swabbed. She is of course more worried about killing me because I'm old and I smoke.

I actually hope she comes back positive - so she can stop worrying about catching it. This assumes the thing about one dose builds enough immunity to negate a second exposure.

Re: It's official. I got the cooties. [Re: bobby66] #2775042
05/16/20 09:14 AM
05/16/20 09:14 AM
Irving, TX
feets Offline OP
Senior Management
feets  Offline OP
Senior Management

Irving, TX
Originally Posted by bobby66
Damn, take care of yourself. Did they prescribe anything for it?

Nope!

The phone interview was good enough for her to give me a clean bill of health.

I get the feeling that there are countless others in my position. We had it and never knew it. I am a prime example of why we need proper reporting. The reporting is badly flawed. An example is 10 cases reported. 3 have been lost. 5 have recovered. To the headline scanner it looks like 18 people have had it but there are only 2 active cases.

THAT is what should be made known. Active cases.

Sadly, I'll just be another tick it the horror glorifying number of Covid cases for Dallas County. Somewhere in the fine print I might be listed as a recovery. I say "might" because there was never a medical exam performed to show I recovered.

Remember that you and you alone are responsible for your health. Make decisions based upon your situation. You can encourage others to take the same route but you can't force them to bend to your will.
Stay aware and stay safe.

We are brothers and sisters doing time on the planet for better or worse. I'll take the better, if you don't mind.
- Stu Harmon
Re: It's official. I got the cooties. [Re: feets] #2775045
05/16/20 09:19 AM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
Originally Posted by feets
I got a letter in the mail today from the county health department urging an immediate response. Assuming it was Covid related I gave 'em a call.
The epidemiologist I spoke with started talking about my Covid diagnosis.
My what?
Yeah, that test I took on APRIL FRIGGIN NINTH came back positive. The seems they had two digits wrong in my phone number and resorted to snail mail.

I had been working out of my home shop and in the evenings I was helping a friend with his home remodel. One of the crew working on the house had been diagnosed with the cooties. The foreman told the homeowner. My friend (the homeowner) then told me. The next morning I went down to the local testing location and got my sinuses stuffed.

A few days later I got that little feeling that comes on a day or two before I get the flu. It's like my body is giving me a heads up but I don't actually feel sick. For some reason it stuck around about a week. I also had some strong headaches for a week or so. Other than that, I felt normal. I was keeping an eye out for the common symptoms (as they were known in early April). Nothing ever came from it.

Knowing that the nasty little bug was around I tried to stay away from people, avoided my parents entirely, and kept doing my thing.

In our phone call today the doc asked a bunch of questions but never sounded concerned. She told me that she was not going to put any travel restrictions on me and that I was not contagious. We discussed people I had been in contact with (surprisingly few) and told me to get tested again if I started showing any symptoms.

I guess the little virus buggers didn't have much interest in me and I got off easy. Sadly, not everyone gets the fair shake and a friend is planning her father's memorial as a result.

It looks like I had the bug, didn't know it, and I'm over in the "recovered" column now. Hooray medical science? Hooray luck of the draw?

Either way, remember that there really is a bug out there doing bad things. You and only you are responsible for your health.
Do your best to take care of yourself, try to not share your unknown cooties with others, and we'll see you on the road soon.

1. How the heck does this DR over the phone decide a patient is not "contagious" and/or "recovered"?
She never heard of asymptomatic, or relapse? Isn't this why a retest is in order, for the safety of others?

2. So share with us more detail on your exposure to the likely COVID worker, how close where you, was either of you wearing a mask, how did he recover?

3. Gee ,wrong phone number, good thing 911 will never make that mistake on the number or address.

4. Texas is still increasing COVID cases, wonder why?

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: It's official. I got the cooties. [Re: 360view] #2775046
Irving, TX
feets Offline OP
Senior Management
feets  Offline OP
Senior Management

Irving, TX
Originally Posted by 360view
I am glad you are OK.

Consider saving the lives of others less lucky by going down and donating plasma.

I was going to look into that. Giving blood and plasma is not something I've ever done. My body does not react well to giving up blood. I've had a lot of blood work done over the years and always feel a bit off after a little vial is taken. One time it hit me kinda hard and it took about 20 minutes for me to recover well enough to drive home. I don't know how my body would react to a larger quantity being taken.

- Stu Harmon
Re: It's official. I got the cooties. [Re: feets] #2775055
05/16/20 09:39 AM
05/16/20 09:39 AM
East Bay, N. Cal.
calmopar Offline
I Live Here
calmopar  Offline
I Live Here

East Bay, N. Cal.

Smart, caring move.

Trying to enjoy life!
Re: It's official. I got the cooties. [Re: calmopar] #2775057
05/16/20 09:51 AM
05/16/20 09:51 AM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
Originally Posted by calmopar

Smart, caring move.

You forgot "calculated"

Definition of calculated
2a: worked out by mathematical calculation
b: engaged in, undertaken, or displayed after reckoning or estimating the statistical probability of success or failure
a calculated risk

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: It's official. I got the cooties. [Re: calmopar] #2775080
05/16/20 10:40 AM
05/16/20 10:40 AM
Between Houston & Galveston TX
SattyNoCar Offline
Smarter than no class Flappergass by a mile
SattyNoCar  Offline
Smarter than no class Flappergass by a mile

Between Houston & Galveston TX

Smart, caring move.

Yeah, but, was this message sanitized before posting it? shruggy

John

The dream is dead, long live the dream.......😥
Re: It's official. I got the cooties. [Re: jcc] #2775081
05/16/20 10:46 AM
north of coder
moparx Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"
moparx  Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"

north of coder
glad you got over it feets !
my wife's niece in minnesota, not so lucky.
she is 34, served in afganistan, but was a healthy person without any pre-existing conditions. it hit her hard, with all of the "fun" stuff except time on a ventilator.
she is mostly over it now, but she said it was the worst sickness she has had in her life ! eek

STAY SAFE OUT THERE GUYS !
beer

Re: It's official. I got the cooties. [Re: jcc] #2775082
Irving, TX
feets Offline OP
Senior Management
feets  Offline OP
Senior Management

Irving, TX
Originally Posted by jcc

Smart, caring move.

You forgot "calculated"

Definition of calculated
2a: worked out by mathematical calculation
b: engaged in, undertaken, or displayed after reckoning or estimating the statistical probability of success or failure
a calculated risk

Yes. Calculated.
I determined the best course of action for me to continue to survive while living alone. Keep food on my table. Keep a roof over my head. Not rely on others for basic necessities (potentially subjecting those others to what I was avoiding). Not relying on government handouts (single partner LLC owner ineligible for unemployment). Still helping a family of 4 finish a home remodel where the kitchen was down to bare studs, two bathrooms were disabled, and the floors had been removed all before the county was under emergency declaration.

Yes, I was infected while doing my best to help others. I wanted to see a family regain their home. I wanted to make sure an 8 year old girl could use her own bathroom and not have to share a tiny closet sized bath with her older brother, mother, and mother's boyfriend. I wanted to make sure their defective electrical service panel was properly replaced and hazardous wiring was removed. I wanted to drain the flooded Cold War era bomb shelter to determine if it was safe to enter or if it would support activities on the ground above it. I wanted to make sure the weight of the family car driving beside the bomb shelter was not going to cause a cave in.

Yes. It was a calculated move. I put my own health at risk, and was infected, trying to do what I thought was best while not passing any contagions I might collect on to others. So far, it looks to have paid off. I did not fall ill and none of the people I have been in contact with have been ill. Most importantly, my immuno-compromised mother who keeps asking me to stop by has not been infected.

As far as the house goes, the work was completed Friday. The inspector should green tag it on Monday and it will be ready for proper habitation. I will not bill the homeowner. That work was a gift.

So, Mr Piss On Everything Possible, show me the errors of my calculated decisions. While you're at it, feel free to demonstrate what you have done to help others get through this mess other than hiding at home and harassing people on the internet.

- Stu Harmon
Re: It's official. I got the cooties. [Re: feets] #2775113
05/16/20 12:28 PM
05/16/20 12:28 PM
So Near, Yet So Far
topside Offline
Too Many Posts
topside  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Near, Yet So Far
The term "calculated" - and what specific definition & intent there was in applying it here - should be explained.
That word has a pejorative tone, and I would hope that was not the intent.

Good on ya, Feets, for taking care of others and doing - again - what's right and best in a difficult situation.

My approach to dealing with the virus was in a sense "calculated", as I figured it best to avoid people (for either getting or transmitting).
And in the meantime I was able to perform a kindness or two and visit at a distance, figuring the lockdown is mentally tough on a lot of folks.
Nothing like Feets' effort though, tip o' the hat to ya, sir.

Re: It's official. I got the cooties. [Re: feets] #2775151
05/16/20 02:57 PM
05/16/20 02:57 PM
Oregon
hooziewhatsit Offline
master
hooziewhatsit  Offline
master

Oregon
Glad you're feeling better. up

I had something nasty in late February, but my antibody test came back negative.

I was going to look into that. Giving blood and plasma is not something I've ever done. My body does not react well to giving up blood. I've had a lot of blood work done over the years and always feel a bit off after a little vial is taken. One time it hit me kinda hard and it took about 20 minutes for me to recover well enough to drive home. I don't know how my body would react to a larger quantity being taken.

Bummer. There are generally ~5 vials taken after a standard blood donation, which is a pint by itself.

I've donated a bunch over the years, and even though I'm not any sort of diet, donation day is a "cheat day". I drink lots of water/juice, and eat/snack all day long, especially before the donation. It really helps in my case.

If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.
Re: It's official. I got the cooties. [Re: feets] #2775152
05/16/20 02:58 PM
05/16/20 02:58 PM
Tucson, AZ
Ramrod39 Offline
My New Title
Ramrod39  Offline
My New Title

Tucson, AZ
Glad you are OK, Feets. I wonder if maybe I had it a couple of weeks ago. I had recurring headaches, and was sore and nauseous. I just stayed home and rested. I'm OK now.

I hear you about some folks having trouble giving blood. My wife, who is five-foot nothing, gave blood in high school and passed out shortly thereafter. Many, many years later she tried again and ended up getting an ambulance ride and a few hours in bed at the hospital.

Re: It's official. I got the cooties. [Re: Ramrod39] #2775154
05/16/20 03:08 PM
05/16/20 03:08 PM
md
M
mopars4ever Online content
I Live Here
mopars4ever  Online Content
I Live Here
M

md
Glad you are doing better. Luckily I never had any issues after giving blood. They were taking about a pint a week from me for a little while.

Page 1 of 2 1 2