Houston,Tx.
L
Lee446 Offline OP
pro stock
Lee446  Offline OP
pro stock
L

Houston,Tx.
I just returned from my 6 state road trip from Houston to Orofino, Idaho. I was trailering my old 4wd Nissan "Deer camp" truck to my retirement home, along with lots of electrical wire and fixtures to wire my shop, so I had a fair load. The trip was fairly uneventful, no problems along the way, other than fast food was the only option. The roads were wide open and it was a good time for the truckers, especially crossing Wyoming, you can see for miles and I frequently drove the Interstate for 15 minutes at a time without even seeing another vehicle, made me think "Twilight Zone". I have two observations on driving that I saw constantly under all conditions, including driving rain and even snow between Butte and Billings Montana.

1. People will drive up a entrance ramp at forty miles an hour, never looking to MERGE with oncoming traffic. They seem to believe that everyone on the Interstate traveling at the 80 mph speed limit is required to get out of their way! Since I was trailering, I was in the right lane doing 65, I am not exaggerating when I say that on the round trip, I saw hundreds of examples of this dangerous behavior, they make no attempt to speed up or slow down and blend with the traffic.

2. People passing you and then cutting over in front of you with less than two car lengths of clearance! Again, this happened to me at least 100 times, and the reason that I note this, is that I would be the only vehicle on the hiway for 10 miles and I would watch a car appear in the left lane and as soon as they would clear(barely) my front bumper, here they come! Nobody else on the road for miles! This happened several times in driving rain and of course, they flooded my windshield cutting in that close. When I took Drivers Ed. fifty years ago, they taught us never to move over until you can see the passed vehicle clearly in your rearview mirror.

After watching all of this over 6 hard days of driving and 4600 miles, I came to the conclusion that the majority of these idiots just don't know any better! I hope you folks that have kids learning to drive will teach your kids this kind of stuff, as the are obviously not teaching them in Drivers Ed. The life you save may be theirs! This is not to imply that most of the idiots were young, the majority were close to middle age. We all see this kind of driving everyday, especially in cities, but on the ghost-town conditions of the Covid hiways, I found it astounding!
By the time I got back, Texas had opened up, and getting through DFW and Houston traffic was back to its usual insane level of danger.

The positive of this little adventure is that I will never again, in my lifetime, be able to drive cross-country with such empty hiways, so that was a kind of a neat experience. It also renewed my respect for the professional over the road driver, for the BS they have to put up with, and the good driving they exhibit. I never worried when I was among the big trucks, but always kept a wary eye on any 4 wheeled vehicles. All in all, it was interesting.

Re: Observations from the Interstate. [Re: Lee446] #2774821
05/15/20 12:30 PM
05/15/20 12:30 PM
Banana Republic
FM3AAR Offline
top fuel
FM3AAR  Offline
top fuel

Banana Republic
My observations as well. I bet the truckers are enjoying the lesser amount of cars in their travels.

“You’ll own nothing” — And “you’ll be happy about it.”
K. Schwab

Re: Observations from the Interstate. [Re: Lee446] #2774826
05/15/20 12:37 PM
05/15/20 12:37 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
"2. People passing you and then cutting over in front of you with less than two car lengths of clearance! Again, this happened to me at least 100 times"

My explanation:

1. The drivers doing the passing, woke up in the morning and decided:
a. They are the only person who should be on the road, and how dare anybody be in their lane, and require them to slightly turn their steering wheel slightly back and forth to pass them, and to show their utter hostility, they will pass them with the east amount of clearance possible, to make sure the passed know who is boss on the road.
or
b. How dare anyone on the road not drive at least the speed they are driving, irrespective of the passed vehicle's own safe speed or the speed limit, and they then cut them off to show how inadequate the passed drivers are.

Its all about, "its all about me, everybody else is wrong, case closed, I don't want to hear it" mindset.

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: Observations from the Interstate. [Re: jcc] #2774847
05/15/20 01:23 PM
05/15/20 01:23 PM
Iowa
burdar Offline
Owen's Dad
burdar  Offline
Owen's Dad

Iowa
"2. People passing you and then cutting over in front of you with less than two car lengths of clearance! Again, this happened to me at least 100 times"

My explanation:

1. The drivers doing the passing, woke up in the morning and decided:
a. They are the only person who should be on the road, and how dare anybody be in their lane, and require them to slightly turn their steering wheel slightly back and forth to pass them, and to show their utter hostility, they will pass them with the east amount of clearance possible, to make sure the passed know who is boss on the road.
or
b. How dare anyone on the road not drive at least the speed they are driving, irrespective of the passed vehicle's own safe speed or the speed limit, and they then cut them off to show how inadequate the passed drivers are.

Its all about, "its all about me, everybody else is wrong, case closed, I don't want to hear it" mindset.

I blame the new cars with "blind spot monitoring". My 19 Jeep has a light on the side mirrors that illuminates when there is a car in your blind spot. The light turns OFF when I'm only half past another vehicle. If people are using these lights to gauge when they can pull back into the other lane, then this will happen. I don't pull back into the other lane until I can see the slower vehicles headlights in my rear view mirror.

Re: Observations from the Interstate. [Re: burdar] #2774852
05/15/20 01:35 PM
05/15/20 01:35 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
I just use the "golden rule" and then add some, what is the hurry unless some jerk is already tailgating me?

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: Observations from the Interstate. [Re: Lee446] #2774854
05/15/20 01:44 PM
05/15/20 01:44 PM
W. Kentucky
justinp61 Offline
I Live Here
justinp61  Offline
I Live Here

W. Kentucky
I drive a short section of interstate on my way to and from work and see the same thing. It has always puzzled me why people think it's a good idea to drive 45 mph and try to merge with traffic going at least 65 and most of the time a lot faster. A couple years ago they did some work on the two bridges that cross the Tennessee river and both were one lane for several months. Traffic would back up two miles at times, even with signs warning of possible traffic stoppage ahead four or five miles before the construction idiots would still plow into stopped traffic.

From time to time I drive my Dart to work and most of the time I'd take the long way and avoid the interstate. I have to be at work at 6:00 AM so I leave home a little after 5. One morning I figured that traffic would be light and decided to take the interstate short cut. It was plenty light and everything was going fine, I was cruising around 65 and hadn't seen another vehicle going my direction. Then I noticed a car coming up on me, he was probably a mile behind me and coming fast. When He did catch me he darn near ran over me, swerved over into the passing lane blowing his horn and giving me the bird. I had my lights on and it was light enough that I saw his unlighted car a mile or more away and he still almost ran over me. I don't drive the Dart on the interstate anymore.

Remember, there are idiots everywhere and they have a license to drive too.

Last edited by justinp61; 05/15/20 01:45 PM.
Re: Observations from the Interstate. [Re: justinp61] #2774859
05/15/20 01:58 PM
05/15/20 01:58 PM
Park Forest, IL
slantzilla Offline
Too Many Posts
slantzilla  Offline
Too Many Posts

Park Forest, IL
Hate to say it, but this is nothing new. I drove a semi 25 years ago on I-90 and people did it back then. I have had it in my pickup, especially when pulling my race car. It always amazed me what people would do around a vehicle that has a long stopping distance.

My new Ram has the blind spot warning lights in the mirrors too, but mine work very well. I still won't pull over until I can see the vehicle in the inside rear view.

"Everybody funny, now you funny too."
Re: Observations from the Interstate. [Re: slantzilla] #2774871
05/15/20 02:30 PM
05/15/20 02:30 PM
Eagle, Idaho
Neil Offline
The Doctor is in.
Neil  Offline
The Doctor is in.

Eagle, Idaho
My brother used to drive a semi and people would pass him and then hop back in his lane and brake check him to show him who's boss. Talk about wanting to die.

Also had people drive around him when there was no room and they would tear their mirror off and keep going like nothing happened.

I could not do that job for any amount of money.

Re: Observations from the Interstate. [Re: Neil] #2774879
05/15/20 03:23 PM
05/15/20 03:23 PM
Mass
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here
DAYCLONA  Offline
I Live Here

Mass
Originally Posted by Neil
My brother used to drive a semi and people would pass him and then hop back in his lane and brake check him to show him who's boss. Talk about wanting to die.

Years back when I drove a rig, fools that tried this with me often got just the opposite, I hammered the throttle and filled their rear view mirror with all grill and bumper along with the air horn, a few got pit maneuvered off to the shoulder....a little driving lesson for their future reference

Re: Observations from the Interstate. [Re: DAYCLONA] #2774888
05/15/20 04:10 PM
05/15/20 04:10 PM
A collage of whims
topside Offline
Too Many Posts
topside  Offline
Too Many Posts

A collage of whims
I've seen all the above, too many dozens of times to count.
How & why people don't use common sense or any understanding of physics when driving tells me 2 things:
Either they're too stupid to be allowed to operate a vehicle...
Or, they really think they're the only person who matters.
The concept of Courtesy is sadly lacking in many of life's activities, but in a vehicle, it's particularly bad.

I can recall 40 years ago driving in dense 65-70 MPH traffic on I-5, I-10, etc in L.A., everyone a few feet apart, and actually driving with awareness.
Those days seem to be gone; I can't count how many times I've had to pull off an immediate-reaction evasive move.
For the last 15-20 years, I've tried to avoid having another vehicle near me.
And for that matter, there are like 2 people who I'm comfortable with if they drive...both racers, with more talent than I have...

Re: Observations from the Interstate. [Re: topside] #2774890
05/15/20 04:13 PM
05/15/20 04:13 PM
S.E. South Dakota !
bigdad Offline
Still Posting A Lot
bigdad  Offline
Still Posting A Lot

S.E. South Dakota !
[Linked Image]

The lips of fools bring them strife, and their mouths invite a beating.Proverbs 18:6
Re: Observations from the Interstate. [Re: Lee446] #2774915
05/15/20 05:14 PM
05/15/20 05:14 PM
Mesa, Arizona
D
dart4forte Offline
I Live Here
dart4forte  Offline
I Live Here
D

Mesa, Arizona
Originally Posted by Lee446
I just returned from my 6 state road trip from Houston to Orofino, Idaho. I was trailering my old 4wd Nissan "Deer camp" truck to my retirement home, along with lots of electrical wire and fixtures to wire my shop, so I had a fair load. The trip was fairly uneventful, no problems along the way, other than fast food was the only option. The roads were wide open and it was a good time for the truckers, especially crossing Wyoming, you can see for miles and I frequently drove the Interstate for 15 minutes at a time without even seeing another vehicle, made me think "Twilight Zone". I have two observations on driving that I saw constantly under all conditions, including driving rain and even snow between Butte and Billings Montana.

1. People will drive up a entrance ramp at forty miles an hour, never looking to MERGE with oncoming traffic. They seem to believe that everyone on the Interstate traveling at the 80 mph speed limit is required to get out of their way! Since I was trailering, I was in the right lane doing 65, I am not exaggerating when I say that on the round trip, I saw hundreds of examples of this dangerous behavior, they make no attempt to speed up or slow down and blend with the traffic.

2. People passing you and then cutting over in front of you with less than two car lengths of clearance! Again, this happened to me at least 100 times, and the reason that I note this, is that I would be the only vehicle on the hiway for 10 miles and I would watch a car appear in the left lane and as soon as they would clear(barely) my front bumper, here they come! Nobody else on the road for miles! This happened several times in driving rain and of course, they flooded my windshield cutting in that close. When I took Drivers Ed. fifty years ago, they taught us never to move over until you can see the passed vehicle clearly in your rearview mirror.

After watching all of this over 6 hard days of driving and 4600 miles, I came to the conclusion that the majority of these idiots just don't know any better! I hope you folks that have kids learning to drive will teach your kids this kind of stuff, as the are obviously not teaching them in Drivers Ed. The life you save may be theirs! This is not to imply that most of the idiots were young, the majority were close to middle age. We all see this kind of driving everyday, especially in cities, but on the ghost-town conditions of the Covid hiways, I found it astounding!
By the time I got back, Texas had opened up, and getting through DFW and Houston traffic was back to its usual insane level of danger.

The positive of this little adventure is that I will never again, in my lifetime, be able to drive cross-country with such empty hiways, so that was a kind of a neat experience. It also renewed my respect for the professional over the road driver, for the BS they have to put up with, and the good driving they exhibit. I never worried when I was among the big trucks, but always kept a wary eye on any 4 wheeled vehicles. All in all, it was interesting.

That’s why it’s called defensive driving

“So if it’s on the internet it must be true”

Abe Lincoln
Re: Observations from the Interstate. [Re: dart4forte] #2774970
05/15/20 08:40 PM
05/15/20 08:40 PM
Round Lake Beach, Illinoisy
Rhinodart Offline
Rhinotruck
Rhinodart  Offline
Rhinotruck

Round Lake Beach, Illinoisy
I did 5500 miles over the last few weeks, one trip was 3500 the other 1000. What you observed was spot-on. I went from Chicago to Atlanta to Tampa then back roads to Arkansas and back home, then Chicago to Detroit to Cleveland and back. Both trips were in my 3/4 ton Ram with an enclosed trailer. I did find that truckers just don't care about cages anymore, even less so than 10 years ago. That was what I observed over my last 1000 mile trip from Chicago to Arkansas and back in a minivan. Cell phones are still the major problem especially on ramps, they just can't put them down to save their lives, literally... mad

The funny thing about science is that if you change one miniscule parameter you change the entire outcome to the way you want it.

JB Rhinehart, Realist

A-Body's RULE!
Re: Observations from the Interstate. [Re: Rhinodart] #2774978
05/15/20 09:09 PM
05/15/20 09:09 PM
Here
DirectSubjection Offline
Tacohead. The First and Only
DirectSubjection  Offline
Tacohead. The First and Only

Here
Around here the Garden State Parkway is starting to return to its old Fury Road ways - yes, I do spray my mouth silver on the on-ramp catfight laugh2

Ride eternal, shiny and chrome
Re: Observations from the Interstate. [Re: DirectSubjection] #2774996
05/15/20 10:56 PM
05/15/20 10:56 PM
Between Houston & Galveston TX
SattyNoCar Offline
Smarter than no class Flappergass by a mile
SattyNoCar  Offline
Smarter than no class Flappergass by a mile

Between Houston & Galveston TX

Was reminded of this one today........why do idiots drive with their hazards on because its raining?

Had some pretty good storms roll thru the Houston area today, and lucky me, got sent on a 100 mile parts run for my job at the height of the storms (Promaster vans SUCK btw, but that's a different matter). Saw a lot of cars, new and old, cheap and expensive, poking along in the rain with their hazards on. Not just when it was raining sideways, but in ANY amount of rain, even a sprinkle.

Whisky Tango Foxtrot?

Aside from being idiots, what was another thing these idiots had in common? Almost all of them did NOT have their lights on. I was taught to turn on my HEADLIGHTS in bad weather (low visibility) NOT my hazards.

If you're that scared of moisture, turn in your license and use Uber.

I'm going to my room and pulling the covers over my head.

John

The dream is dead, long live the dream.......😥
Re: Observations from the Interstate. [Re: SattyNoCar] #2775003
05/15/20 11:19 PM
05/15/20 11:19 PM
Houston,Tx.
L
Lee446 Offline OP
pro stock
Lee446  Offline OP
pro stock
L

Houston,Tx.
Sat73, you nailed it! These idiots don't care that the flashers are a distraction that interferes with brake light visibility especially in bad traffic. They should put a one thousand dollar fine for improper use of flashers and enforce it. Like all the little snowflakes that do it think that they are the only ones that noticed it is raining! Is this just a Houston problem? or are they doing this elsewhere?

Re: Observations from the Interstate. [Re: SattyNoCar] #2775052
05/16/20 09:31 AM
05/16/20 09:31 AM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
Driving with emergency flashers on often happens in "clots", one monkey does it, and all the nearby monkeys do the same. It's been happening for decades, I can't believe it has only been until the past few years there is small outcry to stop it, and enforce it, It's flat out dangerous, it is narcissistic behavior, in that it says effectively, "watch out for me, I'm important, I don't care if you are distracted or mislead by my lights indicating an emergency while I drive at the the speed limit"

One of, IMO, the small road rage response behaviors I have been guilty of in the past while driving, I have flashed my high beams in sync with the flashing of the emergency lights of the car I'm following in front of me. Figure what is good for the goose, is good for the gander. whistling

Re: Observations from the Interstate. [Re: jcc] #2775245
05/16/20 09:11 PM
05/16/20 09:11 PM
Downtown Roebuck Ont
Twostick Offline
Still wishing...
Twostick  Offline
Still wishing...

Downtown Roebuck Ont
Welcome to my world.

High wide and heavy and they are completely oblivious to their near death experiences.

Kevin

Re: Observations from the Interstate. [Re: Twostick] #2775263
05/16/20 10:18 PM
05/16/20 10:18 PM
A collage of whims
topside Offline
Too Many Posts
topside  Offline
Too Many Posts

A collage of whims
I haven't run into (no pun intended, but I'll take it) the hazard-flasher idiots.
But pretty much every time it rains, cars emerge from the downpour & spray without their lights on.
Usually grey or black vehicles, including pickups, and once or twice big-rigs.
I've actually had a close call or two when pulling out onto the highway into town.

I think it was NJ or PA that had a law: wipers on = headlights on.

Regardless of conditions, the guys driving log trucks around here are like the tanker in "Duel"...

Re: Observations from the Interstate. [Re: topside] #2775276
05/16/20 11:21 PM
05/16/20 11:21 PM
Jefferson State
S
srt Offline
ESYC
srt  Offline
ESYC
S

Jefferson State
I've noticed an erosion of skill,, courtesy and care of many drivers on the road.
During my jaunts towing 27 and 24' rec and cargo trailers I learned a skill/method to deal with most passers. Without crowing the lane line allow your combe to drift to the left before prospective passer gets close, as he's gaining speed and getting along the tow vehicle slowly drift to the right, passer has already chosen his line and it really makes a difference as to how much additionsl space you gain with only a foot or two of lateral movement.

Page 1 of 2 1 2