05/17/20 11:45 AM
Round Lake Beach, Illinoisy
Rhinodart Offline
Rhinotruck
Rhinodart  Offline
Rhinotruck

Round Lake Beach, Illinoisy
Originally Posted by srt
I've noticed an erosion of skill,, courtesy and care of many drivers on the road.
During my jaunts towing 27 and 24' rec and cargo trailers I learned a skill/method to deal with most passers. Without crowing the lane line allow your combe to drift to the left before prospective passer gets close, as he's gaining speed and getting along the tow vehicle slowly drift to the right, passer has already chosen his line and it really makes a difference as to how much additionsl space you gain with only a foot or two of lateral movement.

That is one good trick, I use it a lot. I have other tricks too that utilize the "swing out" of the rear of the trailer all while watching the face of the passer in the side view mirror... whistling

The funny thing about science is that if you change one miniscule parameter you change the entire outcome to the way you want it.

JB Rhinehart, Realist

A-Body's RULE!
Re: Observations from the Interstate. [Re: srt] #2775495
05/17/20 05:12 PM
05/17/20 05:12 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
I use a different tactic on two lanes, I see a car approach me from behind, I have two main possible assumptions, they are driving faster then me or a cop, and two, they likely will want to pass sooner of later . I then move as far to the right as safely possible, to give them a good view of oncoming traffic, it also lets them understand I know what I expect them to do, and gives all three(?) drivers the room to almost go three wide everything goes figuratively suddenly sideways, like a blown tire, misjudgment of closing speed, a spilled hot coffee, etc. Heck, I will even drop my speed if its needed to not be witness to a headon initiated by the passer. Even though I suspect my "rights" say I don't have to.

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: Observations from the Interstate. [Re: jcc] #2775584
05/17/20 09:31 PM
05/17/20 09:31 PM
Home
S
SRT6776 Offline
I hate internal combustion engines!
SRT6776  Offline
I hate internal combustion engines!
S

Home

Re: Observations from the Interstate. [Re: jcc] #2775601
05/17/20 10:39 PM
05/17/20 10:39 PM
Bend,OR USA
C
Cab_Burge Offline
I Win
Cab_Burge  Offline
I Win
C

Bend,OR USA
I think many people who drive like they have never been in a accident are waiting for theirs to happen, which it probably will. I hope they survive it and don't hurt any one else with their lack of skills and not paying attention with their bad driving luck
I've ben involved in more than one single vehicle accidents due to weather and driving beyond my skills to avoid losing control one black ice since moving to central OR. Shame on me blush
I spent 35+ yrs driving in SO CA and the Los Angles basin on surface streets and the massive freeway system, those years help me gain skills and common sense, you have to be watching on at a 360 degree area full time to get home safely, especially on Friday nights and Monday mornings up
I work for several different telephone companies in SO CA and had to drive to work and at work a lot, I probably have over a million + miles driving up to now, right at 60 yrs driving plus drag racing at the track and elsewhere. I
I learned to fly in 1989 and bought my first airplane in 1990, I've got a little over 11000 hrs. as pilot in command now, no idea on total flying miles on the ground but flying at 180+ MPH does shorten most trips flying by a bunch boogie
16+ hours driving from Hesperia, CA to Bend, OR. with multiple pit stops for my wife. Same trip takes 5.5 hrs. flying including one pit stop for my wife after 2.5 hrs. flying boogie
One trip from Tacoma, WA took us 5 hours non stop to Hesperia, CA with a good tailwind and a small porta john for momma whistling

I do drive a lot more defensive now, pass as needed and get back into the right lane on multi lane highways, watch as far as I can see in front of me and watch all three rear view mirrors to the sides and rear also.
Here in Oregon almost all the state roads and most county roads have a white fog line on the right edge of the pavement about 2 to 3Ft. from the dirt, I hug that line by using the right side mirror to see that line in the mirror beside the car thumbs scope
I had a Female OR state trooper stop me one night around 10:30 PM after a older couple pull out in front of me off the side of the road without using their rear view mirrors, I couldn't stop quick enough to avoid rear ending them so I had to, decided to, pass on the left with a oncoming car about 1000 ft. in front of them in the opposite lane going around 55 MPH towards us, I was going near 65 MPH when they pull out with less than a 100 yards between us shock That couple called 911 to report a dangerous driver, me runaway
The state trooper commented on me hugging the fog line for the last 5 miles that she had been following me in a 4 lane divided highway, I told her that those extra 2 or 3 feet gave me a extra nano second or two for better reaction times for avoiding oncoming cars coming over into oncoming traffic thumbs
She liked that thinking and had another state trooper pull the older couple over to check for drinking and driving that night devil grin
Drive and keep safe in all things thumbs

Last edited by Cab_Burge; 05/17/20 10:54 PM.

Mr.Cab Racing and winning with Mopars since 1964. (Old F--t, Huh)
Re: Observations from the Interstate. [Re: DAYCLONA] #2775611
05/17/20 11:34 PM
05/17/20 11:34 PM
West Plains, MO
DrCharles Offline
master
DrCharles  Offline
master

West Plains, MO
Originally Posted by DAYCLONA
Years back when I drove a rig, fools that tried this with me often got just the opposite, I hammered the throttle and filled their rear view mirror with all grill and bumper along with the air horn, a few got pit maneuvered off to the shoulder....a little driving lesson for their future reference

I'm glad you don't drive a rig any more. That kind of "meat in the seat" might-is-right attitude is one reason 4-wheelers hate big trucks.

Re: Observations from the Interstate. [Re: DrCharles] #2775618
05/18/20 12:56 AM
05/18/20 12:56 AM
Mass
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here
DAYCLONA  Offline
I Live Here

Mass
Originally Posted by DrCharles
Originally Posted by DAYCLONA
Years back when I drove a rig, fools that tried this with me often got just the opposite, I hammered the throttle and filled their rear view mirror with all grill and bumper along with the air horn, a few got pit maneuvered off to the shoulder....a little driving lesson for their future reference

I'm glad you don't drive a rig any more. That kind of "meat in the seat" might-is-right attitude is one reason 4-wheelers hate big trucks.

When you say "4-wheelers" (out here a "4 wheeler" is an ATV), I assume you mean 4X4 owners? if so why would 4X4 truck owners hate "big trucks"?....

FYI, the general motoring public has no clue driving, never mind driving around a rig on the road...

Re: Observations from the Interstate. [Re: DAYCLONA] #2775620
05/18/20 01:41 AM
05/18/20 01:41 AM
Nebraska
4406bbl Offline
top fuel
4406bbl  Offline
top fuel

Nebraska
4 wheeler is trucker slang for cars, or anything on the road with 4 wheels.

Re: Observations from the Interstate. [Re: SRT6776] #2775704
05/18/20 12:52 PM
05/18/20 12:52 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
1. Interesting Video
2. Seemed like most of the apparent at fault drivers "think" they did nothing wrong, not sure if they are just clueless, or follow the time tested defense, deny, deny, deny.

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Page 2 of 2 1 2