05/13/20 07:20 AM
05/13/20 07:20 AM
USA
360view Offline
Moparts resident spammer
360view  Offline
Moparts resident spammer

USA
An attempt to combine fatality models to get a more accurate guess, although I am skeptical:

https://www.npr.org/sections/health...us-projection-shows-110-000-deaths-by-ju

Sample quote

Enter Nicholas Reich, a biostatistician at University of Massachusetts Amherst. Reich and his colleagues have developed a method to compare and ultimately to merge the diverse models of the disease's progression into one "ensemble" projection. The resulting forecast is sobering: By June 6, the cumulative death toll in the U.S. will reach 110,000.

Reich's approach builds on work he's done over the past four years for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, pulling together the many forecasts that U.S. experts create annually to predict how that year's seasonal influenza will play out.

Reich's team has set up a similar system to compare coronavirus models. It's a sort of portal through which the scientists behind each COVID-19 model can communicate key details about their methodology and results, so that, as Reich explains, "all of these forecasts can be represented in a single standardized way. And this makes it really easy to make apples-to-apples comparisons between these models."
End quote

The 50 different states have handled protection for nursing home residents widely different. By far this has been the biggest unknown for total state deaths, particularly in NY and MI.

Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: 360view] #2774091
05/13/20 08:23 AM
05/13/20 08:23 AM
USA
360view Offline
Moparts resident spammer
360view  Offline
Moparts resident spammer

USA

Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: 360view] #2774098
05/13/20 08:42 AM
05/13/20 08:42 AM
USA
360view Offline
Moparts resident spammer
360view  Offline
Moparts resident spammer

USA

Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: 360view] #2774170
05/13/20 12:22 PM
05/13/20 12:22 PM
USA
360view Offline
Moparts resident spammer
360view  Offline
Moparts resident spammer

USA
Young immune systems produce infection fighting “microRNA”
but this declines with age.
This may partially explain why the young survive COVID-19 better.

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-05-tiny-rna-coronavirus-diminish-age.html

Sample quote

MicroRNAs play a big role in our body in controlling gene expression, and also are a front line when viruses invade, latching onto and cutting the RNA, the genetic material of the virus, says Dr. Sadanand Fulzele, aging researcher in the Department of Medicine and Center for Healthy Aging at the Medical College of Georgia at Augusta University.

But with age and some chronic medical conditions, the attacking microRNA numbers dwindle, reducing our ability to respond to viruses, says Dr. Carlos M. Isales, co-director of the MCG Center for Healthy Aging
Snip

"The most important and striking feature of COVID-19 is the increased case fatality rate in aged individuals," the investigators write, with the CDC reporting that nearly half of patients requiring hospitalization are age 65 and older, and these more senior individuals account for about 80% of the deaths. Fulzele, Isales and their colleagues wanted to know more about why.

"My perspective is there is a key set of microRNAs that are important in triggering this abnormal response, in making older patients more susceptible," says senior author Isales. "We are looking at microRNAs in general dropping, but there is a specific subset that is key. The question is whether we can we target those as a therapy."

Cocktails of multiple key microRNA, potentially given through the nose, might help restore sufficient levels of the key virus fighters, the investigators say

End quote

Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: 360view] #2774172
05/13/20 12:29 PM
05/13/20 12:29 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia

It annoys me with the claim of China "hoarding" supplies.

Well based on the current mindset this country operates on:

1. With "America First" thinking, it would seem to be hypocritical to not expect then another country to think and act the same way.
2. "hoarding" I believe means keeping more then you need, stockpiling is keeping what you need, not many here will confess to "hoarding" TP, which I bet most here have not yet had the need to replenish even now . Not sure which can fairly be attributed to China , yet.
3. If a country (America) decides to farm out manufacturing of critical supplies to get a item at a cheaper price, what basis do they logically have to complain about supplies being short and prices high when demand spikes, for any reason?

I am only addressing the "hoarding" claim here, the tamping down of the data of the disease is a separate issue, which however mimics informationally a lot of what Americans were fed in the early stages.

Last edited by jcc; 05/13/20 12:31 PM.

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: 360view] #2774215
05/13/20 01:59 PM
05/13/20 01:59 PM
USA
360view Offline
Moparts resident spammer
360view  Offline
Moparts resident spammer

USA
113 year old former California woman living in Spain survives COVID-19

https://www.forbes.com/sites/sofial...3-has-survived-coronavirus/#297f0d849cfd

Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: not_a_charger] #2774217
05/13/20 02:03 PM
05/13/20 02:03 PM
Mesa, Arizona
D
dart4forte Online boogie
I Live Here
dart4forte  Online Boogie
I Live Here
D

Mesa, Arizona
Interesting CDC information. Wonder how many cases counted twice?

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/preliminary-in-season-estimates.htm

“So if it’s on the internet it must be true”

Abe Lincoln
Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: dart4forte] #2774234
05/13/20 02:35 PM
05/13/20 02:35 PM
Jefferson State
S
srt Offline
ESYC
srt  Offline
ESYC
S

Jefferson State
I'm having a hard time locating easy to decipher data on their website cdc>coronavirus>data & surveillance
This is the cdc that was subject to defunding and then re-funded via congress and approved by President after the pandemic had gained steam.
The Director has been chided, the guidance document for pandemic shelved, and it appears to be diminished weight in the response plan.
I wonder haw many CV 19 cases have been classed Influenza, or other comorbidity.
With todays world, it appears there is a flip side.
I only wish our Govt would develop a single reporting standard. Facts will ultimately prevail and it probably will be apparent by Aug 4.

Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: 360view] #2774248
05/13/20 03:28 PM
05/13/20 03:28 PM
Fulton County, PA
C
CMcAllister Online content
Mr. Helpful
CMcAllister  Online Content
Mr. Helpful
C

Fulton County, PA

No kidding. Up until 2 months ago, when I said - don't spend money to support people who want to subjugate and kill us - people thought I was crazy and then tell everyone about the great deal they got, how good their Chicom made stuff is, and how American business sucks.

I wish I had been wrong.

If the results don't match the theory, change the theory.
Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: 360view] #2774256
05/13/20 04:06 PM
05/13/20 04:06 PM
USA
360view Offline
Moparts resident spammer
360view  Offline
Moparts resident spammer

USA
Iceland study says children do not pass COVID-19 on to others...

https://spectator.us/evidence-children-passing-covid-19-relatives-icelandic-study/

Sample quote

Many countries are refusing to open their schools for fear of a prompting a second wave of coronavirus infections. But their policies would appear to be flatly contradicted by evidence from Iceland. There, a company called deCODE Genetics, in association with the country’s Directorate of Health and the National University Hospital, has analyzed the results of coronavirus tests on 36,500 people. The tests identified 1,801 cases of people suffering from the disease — and 10 deaths. Each case was carefully tracked. In not a single case could the researchers find evidence of a child passing on the disease to their parents. The company’s CEO, Kari Stefansson, revealed the findings in an interview carried on the British Science Museum website. He suggests the fact that few children suffer any symptoms, and are less likely to cough, is an important factor.

The Icelandic study reinforces the results of a review of evidence last week by the Royal College of Paediatricians and Child Health, which said it couldn’t find a single documented case of a child under 10 passing COVID-19 to an adult.
End quote

Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: jcc] #2774257
05/13/20 04:07 PM
05/13/20 04:07 PM
Fulton County, PA
C
Mr. Helpful
Mr. Helpful
C

Fulton County, PA
Originally Posted by jcc

1. With "America First" thinking, it would seem to be hypocritical to not expect then another country to think and act the same way.
2. "hoarding" I believe means keeping more then you need, stockpiling is keeping what you need, not many here will confess to "hoarding" TP, which I bet most here have not yet had the need to replenish even now . Not sure which can fairly be attributed to China , yet.
3. If a country (America) decides to farm out manufacturing of critical supplies to get a item at a cheaper price, what basis do they logically have to complain about supplies being short and prices high when demand spikes, for any reason?

I am only addressing the "hoarding" claim here, the tamping down of the data of the disease is a separate issue, which however mimics informationally a lot of what Americans were fed in the early stages.

1) America first thinking and action are two different things. Clearly all we've been doing is the thinking part. Hypocritical? I don't care if the Chicoms look out for themselves or not. But clearly they've been doing that around the world by bullying, intimidating, extorting, and stealing anything they could get their hands on. We have failed to ACT and have allowed the Chinese to get a firm grasp on our short hairs. "America first" isn't about abusing the rest of the world, it's about not letting them abuse us.

2) Hoarding? How about "extorting". They didn't need this stuff for their own people, they just killed them. It was held back and used as a weapon. Much of what the Chinese produces is for export. BUT the CCP owns it all, There are no private businesses there who might be concerned with something so inconvenient as ethics. PPE and pharma made and intended for export was kept from being shipped and/or held hostage. That's different from keeping what you already have. Medical equipment was donated to China at the beginning of this when they were the ones dealing with it. Once it became a problem in other places, the countries that had donated stuff to them were forced to buy it back at black market prices.

3) What If I agree to make a product for you for a price, and follow through on that for years. And you are satisfied to the point to where I'm doing 100% of that product for you. Then one day the crap hits the fan. You call me up wanting more of this product, which has gone from being routine to life or death overnight. And I say to you, "You know jcc, I know you've been getting this stuff from me for years, but it looks like I might need more for myself. So I'm gonna keep mine and yours as well. And besides that, I don't like the way you've been treating me lately, so you can go pack sand and drop dead if you don't like it" Would you have a reason to complain?

The Chicoms are belligerent savages, bullies, thieves, murdering backstabbers. Always have been. But we crawled in bed with them because we got something from them. And now, here we are. Were all the Harbor Freight tools and cheap parts worth it? We didn't have these problems before we decided to become pals with them in the early 70s did we? And now we have to drag it all back home. Either that or expect their behavior to continue to degenerate and for them to continue to beat our a$$es.

Last edited by CMcAllister; 05/13/20 04:11 PM.

Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: CMcAllister] #2774278
05/13/20 05:41 PM
05/13/20 05:41 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
Originally Posted by CMcAllister

No kidding. Up until 2 months ago, when I said - don't spend money to support people who want to subjugate and kill us - people thought I was crazy and then tell everyone about the great deal they got, how good their Chicom made stuff is, and how American business sucks.

I wish I had been wrong.

So where were all the TV's built that the $1200 stimulus checks recently paid for? eyes

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: CMcAllister] #2774288
05/13/20 06:10 PM
05/13/20 06:10 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia

1) America first thinking and action are two different things. First I have heard it explained that way. Clearly all we've been doing is the thinking part. Hypocritical? Still Yes I don't care if the Chicoms look out for themselves or not. But clearly they've been doing that around the world by bullying, intimidating, extorting, and stealing anything they could get their hands on. Those are separate issues and another topic. We have failed to ACT and have allowed the Chinese to get a firm grasp on our short hairs. Because we want $ and cheap stuff. "America first" isn't about abusing the rest of the world, it's about not letting them abuse us. Again first time I have heard it explained that way

2) Hoarding? Yes How about "extorting". That's called capitalism/free enterprise/art of the deal, when one is on the selling end of the deal. They didn't need this stuff for their own people, they just killed them. Not sure how you can prove that it wasn't needed by them and/or they intentionally killed anyone. It was held back and used as a weapon. Art of the deal. Much of what the Chinese produces is for export. BUT the CCP owns it all, There are no private businesses there who might be concerned with something so inconvenient as ethics. Ethics? in todays market, etihcs are for losers, the examples are endless.. PPE and pharma made and intended for export was kept from being shipped and/or held hostage. When you sleep with a snake, one should not cpomplain about getting bitten. That's different from keeping what you already have. Medical equipment was donated to China at the beginning of this when they were the ones dealing with it. Once it became a problem in other places, the countries that had donated stuff to them were forced to buy it back at black market prices. Kind of like car flippers on this forum?

3) What If I agree to make a product for you for a price, and follow through on that for years. And you are satisfied to the point to where I'm doing 100% of that product for you. Then one day the crap hits the fan. You call me up wanting more of this product, which has gone from being routine to life or death overnight. And I say to you, "You know jcc, I know you've been getting this stuff from me for years, but it looks like I might need more for myself. So I'm gonna keep mine and yours as well. And besides that, I don't like the way you've been treating me lately, so you can go pack sand and drop dead if you don't like it" Would you have a reason to complain? Only to myself for letting myself become vulnerable

The Chicoms are belligerent savages, bullies, thieves, murdering backstabbers. Always have been. Power corrupts, always has, always will. But we crawled in bed with them because we got something from them. And now, here we are. We agree Were all the Harbor Freight tools and cheap parts worth it? We didn't have these problems before we decided to become pals with them in the early 70s did we? Being "pals" with them is not the problem, lowering our values for cheap stuff is the core issue. And now we have to drag it all back home. Either that or expect their behavior to continue to degenerate and for them to continue to beat our a$$es. [/quote]

You anger is well understood and meritorious, but until your last paragraph, I disagree with its direction. I think it is easier and better to change our behavior first. But before that, we have to recognize our complicity, and that seems to be a bridge too far for many.

Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: jcc] #2774291
05/13/20 06:18 PM
05/13/20 06:18 PM
Fulton County, PA
C
Mr. Helpful
Mr. Helpful
C

Fulton County, PA
Originally Posted by jcc

I wish I had been wrong.

So where were all the TV's built that the $1200 stimulus checks recently paid for? eyes

Don't know. Are TVs made anywhere besides Red China. Before we went over there in '72 to kiss ans make nice, they were made here or maybe Japan. It's not like we never made anything here or don't know how.

Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: 360view] #2774298
05/13/20 06:35 PM
05/13/20 06:35 PM
USA
360view Offline
Moparts resident spammer
360view  Offline
Moparts resident spammer

USA
Modified firefighter mask with virus filter designed for COVID-19

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-05-device-covid-infection-demand-invasive.html

Sample quote

The team's non-invasive ventilation mask aims to eliminate this risk. The novel device is customized from a standard firefighter's mask using 3-D printing and can be attached to any CPAP or BiPAP machine. Unlike traditional masks, it creates two tight seals—one around the patient's nose and mouth and another around the face. Patients breathe in and out of a filter that captures any viral particles before they are released to the air.
"There are countless CPAP and BiPAP machines idling around the world while all resources go towards invasive ventilation," explains Dr. Azad Mashari, Anesthesiologist at UHN's Peter Munk Cardiac Centre. "Our mask aims to put these machines back into the clinician's toolkit. By eliminating air leaks, we can improve patient safety and significantly reduce the risk of contracting COVID-19 for health-care workers and other patients."
End quote

Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: CMcAllister] #2774309
05/13/20 06:56 PM
05/13/20 06:56 PM
Jefferson State
S
srt Offline
ESYC
srt  Offline
ESYC
S

Jefferson State
I don't buy into the logic that us consumers got anything good from china. A a youngster we'd go to china town and the little trinket booths were full of bamboo, plastic and polished shells that one could buy for a quarter or a buck. Now it's cheap porcelain and resin. The "dollar" stores we've so affectionately fallen for does not have anything for sale worth spending a buck. Harbor freight, I tried their tarps years ago and they didn't last a year. Their junk is just that, The villagers there still get a little pay per unit they do. We should expected trinkets.
Enter the worlds corporate mind set that includes cheap so profit can be made and design obsolescence so us consumers have to buy and re-buy. We taught them to build cheap and allowed them to steal designs,us consumers didn't do a thing because we didn't have a choice. The powers didn't do anything because they benefited.
Coronavirus guys, it started in China and the world got it. I've seen enough that leads me to believe we knew it was coming, were unprepared and the best people we had could not do anything to head it off. Now we know what needs to be done and we can't agree on that and no one want's to levy the standard that us citizens and local govt need to abide. Rather embarassing being number 1 right now.
Look at the projections on the economy, that continues to need propped up, the numbers of people dead and dying, and to yet die. Looks like as the worlds greatest country we've done a shameful job of keeping our numbers down. In second place on the tally sheet John Hopkins keeps Russia is second to us with 1/5th the amount of people diagnosed and 1/38th the deaths. I know the numbers are bs yet we squirm and point fingers and suggest collusion is at play. Extremely high likelihood, yet just where and what numbers are right, wrong, or spot on? We'll never know and everyone should dconsider doing what they need to get through this mess.

Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: jcc] #2774366
05/13/20 11:46 PM
05/13/20 11:46 PM
(Central) PA
Runner2go Offline
I Live Here
Runner2go  Offline
I Live Here

(Central) PA
Originally Posted by jcc

I wish I had been wrong.

Ones actually worth buying... Japan & South Korea .... same place they've been made for the last 40yrs
$300, 55" pos tv's might be made in China, but I never bothered to look at those.

China screwed the world with this virus... period! flame
They might have planned it... but more likely an accident occurred, and once the ball was rolling they took full advantage of the "opportunity". They knew the virus was out & spreading, so they shut down air travel out of Wuhan... but ALLOWED air travel to continue out of Wuhan to every other nation in the world. There is NO disputing that fact... and it screwed the whole world. How it all started is small potato's compared to the fact they not only watched it spread without warning anyone... they accelerated it via the Airlines.

I hope people in this country walk away from buying Chinese products in droves...
And I'm a free market capitalist... but I also don't like being bent over, and have little forgiveness.
They made their bed... now they can lie in in it.

Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: 360view] #2774497
05/14/20 01:02 PM
05/14/20 01:02 PM
USA
360view Offline
Moparts resident spammer
360view  Offline
Moparts resident spammer

USA
Australian study says COVID-19 infects humans and pangolins more readily than bats....

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-05-covid-mystery.html

Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: 360view] #2774501
05/14/20 01:13 PM
05/14/20 01:13 PM
USA
360view Offline
Moparts resident spammer
360view  Offline
Moparts resident spammer

USA
What ACE1 and ACE2 receptors do for some of your cells.

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-05-ace2-receptor-coronavirus.html

Sample quote

New clinical trial tests ACE inhibitor against SARS-CoV-2

In collaboration with a multidisciplinary group of investigators, Dr. Loomba has initiated a multicenter (randomized, double-blinded, placebo-controlled) clinical trial to examine the efficacy of
ramipril - an ACE inhibitor—
compared to a placebo in reducing mortality, ICU admission or need for mechanical ventilation in patients with COVID-19.

Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: Runner2go] #2774502
05/14/20 01:15 PM
05/14/20 01:15 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
Originally Posted by Runner2go
Originally Posted by jcc

I wish I had been wrong.

Ones actually worth buying... Japan & South Korea .... same place they've been made for the last 40yrs
$300, 55" pos tv's, might be made in China, but I never bothered to look at those.
might be made in China

China screwed the world with this virus... period! flame
They might have planned it... but more likely an accident occurred, and once the ball was rolling they took full advantage of the "opportunity". They knew the virus was out & spreading, so they shut down air travel out of Wuhan... but ALLOWED air travel to continue out of Wuhan to every other nation in the world. There is NO disputing that fact... and it screwed the whole world. How it all started is small potato's compared to the fact they not only watched it spread without warning anyone... they accelerated it via the Airlines.
Typical demonizing without proof to deflect any personal responsibility response, IMO

I hope people in this country walk away from buying Chinese products in droves...
And I'm a free market capitalist... but I also don't like being bent over, and have little forgiveness.
They made their bed... now they can lie in in it.

"Hope", "free market capitalist", fine until until one is on the losing end it seems, so if we don't "like" getting bent over, why do we do it and then start to complain, I also get turning the other cheek, and judge not until one has walked in another's shoes are long forgotten myths(?), and it seems, this current complaint is because they are choosing to lie in their bed, and we don't like our bed.

Page 74 of 136 1 2 72 73 74 75 76 135 136