ChryCoGuy Offline
master
ChryCoGuy  Offline
master
C

o
Originally Posted by jcc
Originally Posted by ChryCoGuy

Are you suggesting that people don't recover from COVID-19? I haven't seen a study that confirms that yet, just speculation.

Even the Johns Hopkins map includes data on recovered cases - which are considered to be inactive cases IMHO.

No my point was mainly, nobody knows, and society has been behind the curve of its progression since day 1, and it ain't over, except it appears for those who do want to guess/speculate.

Regarding herpes, a person infected can easily spread it to other places on their bodies, eyes being the worst, and herpes can be infectious with almost no symptoms of the carrier.

I see your point, and yes it's true that nobody knows completely how it's going to play out. I also understand the other side of the coin, and that's that the economy won't stand a complete shut down for too long, and other countries who have done better at getting through it (by appearances anyhow) are watching what happens. I do think there's a real risk in opening too soon, but maybe once we know more about the disease it will be alright, like spend tons of money to keep it out of nursing homes, and improve working conditions for people who have to work too closely together and it will be alright - but you're right, we don't know. It is a risk that IMHO could go either way.

I don't see the point of bringing herpes into the conversation though, as there are many diseases that act in different ways that could be discussed. Unless herpes is somehow related to coronavirus (I really don't know).

As far as the politics go, it's a taboo subject here, but that's fine with me because I have always hated politics. I firmly believe we need some kind of strong leader to lead the country, and some sort of check and balance (like congress and the senate), but all the discourse that is rampant now just gets in the way of getting anything done. Both sides duke it out for their own BS reasons, leaving the rest of the people in the middle without any real leadership. I hate politics, and BS.

I knew I was going to regret getting involved in this thread... frown

Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: CMcAllister] #2773785
05/12/20 09:04 AM
05/12/20 09:04 AM
o
C
ChryCoGuy Offline
master
ChryCoGuy  Offline
master
C

o
Originally Posted by CMcAllister
I'm not trying to be an a-hole. Just call it like I see it. What I see is crap like Runner2go just posted occurring all over the place as these people scramble to maintain appearances, justify their tyranny, and keep their foot on the necks of the citizens. Again...if the truth is so bad that we have to ruin the economy and people's livelyhoods, why do they have to make stuff up and cook the books to make it worse? In what universe is having had an illness maybe months ago, with little or no symptoms and no longer being sick or infected able to be called a "new case"? If I die from alzheimers or a stroke or heart failure and I have a broken leg, on what planet do they list the broken leg as cause of death? On planet Rachel Levine, that's which planet.

They should be making a list of people known to have HAD it, or have the anti-bodies, and are now well so we can see how large that group is. Can't do that. The percentages would make them look even worse. Instead they pad the stats to create even more lies.

Some folks are inconvenienced. I'm looking at having something I have 45 years invested in taken away by crooked, dishonest hacks and liars having their little power trip. Making threats of extortion that they know won't stand up in court for a second. Unqualified circus clowns on a power trip. And no one seems to be able to do anything about it. So yeah, I'm a little hot under the collar.

FWIW, I don't think you are being an a-hole. You have real concerns and you are upset about them. That's reasonable. See my post above - I hate politics. Lots of bickering and no real leadership, and the rest of us left holding the bag.

I have real concerns about the virus and we all have to find what works for us. I don't want to bring it in to a family member with underlying health conditions that could prove to be fatal with a covid infection. So I'm doing what I'm doing to keep her safe. That's my point of view, but it doesn't mean I'm blind to what others are experiencing out there.

Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: 360view] #2773788
05/12/20 09:07 AM
05/12/20 09:07 AM
USA
360view Offline
Moparts resident spammer
360view  Offline
Moparts resident spammer

USA
There are 4 coronaviruses that already circulate through the human population.
The oldest started infecting humans about 800 years ago.
Medical teams have tried but failed to create long term vaccines for these.

Dr. Ralph Baric has been studying coronaviruses for 35 years and is considered a world expert:

https://www.peoplespharmacy.com/podcasts

Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: PhillyRag] #2773790
05/12/20 09:13 AM
05/12/20 09:13 AM
o
C
ChryCoGuy Offline
master
ChryCoGuy  Offline
master
C

o
Originally Posted by PhillyRag
Originally Posted by PhillyRag
At this point, I'd rather get the virus and take my chances, than deal with this crap for the next couple of years. 12 to 18 months before people can go to an event - church, sports, concerts, etc. - in Illinois? Not going to happen. People will riot first.

Kudos! A 2-4 week, maybe bed-ridden, sickness (for some) OR a 1>1-1/2 year long tormenting uncertainty (for all)? We'll never "contain" this within the US, without locking down state-to-state travel (i.e Hot-Cold Spots). An unlikely & very un american process to even consider. Country-to-Country maybe. But the Airline & Travel industry to fight either tooth&nail. Flattening the curve will just morph into Thinning the herd, as this eventually threads it's way to ALL areas of the country.

I say be careful what you wish for.

But... if this is really how you feel, it seems to me that catching the virus should be easier than not catching it. Why not help out some front line workers, which would be doing them a great favour, then if you catch it... win-win situation. shruggy

I say be careful what you wish for.

Didn't say I wished, or hoped for it. Just drawing some possible likelyhoods from what I see/observe/hear. The US came into "this" later then say S.Korea, which supposedly handled this "properly", but isn't still out-of-the-woods. Flattening-of-the curve only shows death rate (per year/week/day) hasn't increased.

Until that curve drops drastically; we'll be into this for some months. How many? 3, 6, or more? Then into Fall season: & that tosses another turd into this punch-bowl-of-a-mess.

With so many "snake-oil" cures/remedies/treatments/drugs/tests surfacing these days; makes one wonder who/how they'll be narrowed down to an "accepted" few for treating the general population AND when..

Fair enough, you make your point. Reading people saying we'd be better off taking the chance and just getting ill reminded me of that whackjob who said that all old people should be willing to die to protect the economy for the younger generation. Thought that was a dumb thing for him to day, and I know that's not what you were saying.

My only point is that it might take a little longer to learn how to handle this thing properly, and not necessarily with a cure or a vaccine. But who knows, really. If anything hopefully we will learn enough about it for the next time it happens...

Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: 360view] #2773797
05/12/20 09:34 AM
05/12/20 09:34 AM
Benton, IL.
D
DaveRS23 Offline
Special needs idiot
DaveRS23  Offline
Special needs idiot
D

Benton, IL.
There's that 80,000 number again. Every time I see the latest number of Corona fatalities, I want to re-post this response from Illinois' Director of Public Health saying directly that anyone and everyone that tests positive for the virus at the time of death is counted as a Coronavirus death regardless of the actual cause of death. Couple that with the fact that no one knows how many folks actually have the virus and the only logical conclusion you can draw is that the charts and predictions based on those numbers are meaningless. Absolutely meaningless. And that is borne out by the fact that basically all of the casualty predictions on this have been totally wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEDjjl41xHU

But one thing is for sure, there are fewer deaths from the virus than are reported (at least in Illinois which has the 6th largest number) and there is very likely many more people infected than are being estimated. Think for a minute of the ramifications that has on the decisions being made.

More and more experts are saying that the virus is contagious enough and has spread widely enough that basically everyone will be exposed to it at sooner or later. There really is not much way at this point to prevent that. The only thing now that can save the people that are most vulnerable to this virus is an effective vaccine or treatment because we simply cannot quarantine forever.

Master, again and still
Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: ChryCoGuy] #2773810
05/12/20 10:11 AM
05/12/20 10:11 AM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
jcc  Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
J

Bitopia
Originally Posted by jcc

Are you suggesting that people don't recover from COVID-19? I haven't seen a study that confirms that yet, just speculation.

Even the Johns Hopkins map includes data on recovered cases - which are considered to be inactive cases IMHO.

No my point was mainly, nobody knows, and society has been behind the curve of its progression since day 1, and it ain't over, except it appears for those who do want to guess/speculate.

Regarding herpes, a person infected can easily spread it to other places on their bodies, eyes being the worst, and herpes can be infectious with almost no symptoms of the carrier.

I see your point, and yes it's true that nobody knows completely how it's going to play out. I also understand the other side of the coin, and that's that the economy won't stand a complete shut down for too long, and other countries who have done better at getting through it (by appearances anyhow) are watching what happens. I do think there's a real risk in opening too soon, but maybe once we know more about the disease it will be alright, like spend tons of money to keep it out of nursing homes, and improve working conditions for people who have to work too closely together and it will be alright - but you're right, we don't know. It is a risk that IMHO could go either way.

I don't see the point of bringing herpes into the conversation though, as there are many diseases that act in different ways that could be discussed. Unless herpes is somehow related to coronavirus (I really don't know).

As far as the politics go, it's a taboo subject here, but that's fine with me because I have always hated politics. I firmly believe we need some kind of strong leader to lead the country, and some sort of check and balance (like congress and the senate), but all the discourse that is rampant now just gets in the way of getting anything done. Both sides duke it out for their own BS reasons, leaving the rest of the people in the middle without any real leadership. I hate politics, and BS.

I knew I was going to regret getting involved in this thread... frown

The use of herpes was to make the point, some diseases are life long, and we are never certain when they are "active or "inactive", herpes being I thought a well known example.
I repeat , at this point, nobody knows for certain about COVID, common sense not with standing, and those that do, are just prime candidates for the monthly Dunning-Kruger award IMO.

And not to avoid the economic price the world might pay, just understand, there are no guarantees, and we live in the wealthiest nation today on the planet, and if choosing between the chance of losing one's life to a horrible demise all alone, vs in the absolute worse case starting completely over, my choice is clear for me, its only stuff. I have no pretensions anyone should agree with me.

edit, don't regret getting involved, you have shared your position well it seems, just some see a different perspective, there is no right or wrong on the topic as I see it, yet. biggrin

Last edited by jcc; 05/12/20 10:14 AM.

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: DaveRS23] #2773844
05/12/20 11:43 AM
05/12/20 11:43 AM
Oregon
hooziewhatsit Offline
master
hooziewhatsit  Offline
master

Oregon
Originally Posted by DaveRS23
There's that 80,000 number again. Every time I see the latest number of Corona fatalities, I want to re-post this response from Illinois' Director of Public Health saying directly that anyone and everyone that tests positive for the virus at the time of death is counted as a Coronavirus death regardless of the actual cause of death. Couple that with the fact that no one knows how many folks actually have the virus and the only logical conclusion you can draw is that the charts and predictions based on those numbers are meaningless. Absolutely meaningless. And that is borne out by the fact that basically all of the casualty predictions on this have been totally wrong.

But one thing is for sure, there are fewer deaths from the virus than are reported (at least in Illinois which has the 6th largest number) and there is very likely many more people infected than are being estimated. Think for a minute of the ramifications that has on the decisions being made.

More and more experts are saying that the virus is contagious enough and has spread widely enough that basically everyone will be exposed to it at sooner or later. There really is not much way at this point to prevent that. The only thing now that can save the people that are most vulnerable to this virus is an effective vaccine or treatment because we simply cannot quarantine forever.

Which means I'll repost this as well grin

Even if we counted every single death as being incorrectly from Covid, we have a whole bunch more deaths than we normally see this time of year.

I agree that some areas are overcounting deaths. In other places we're undercounting them. As these charts show however, we're still seeing a lot more people die than we would expect.

https://www.economist.com/graphic-detail/2020/04/16/tracking-covid-19-excess-deaths-across-countries

https://www.medpagetoday.com/infectiousdisease/covid19/86127

The Fire Department of New York received nearly 200 additional calls per day for deaths at home in early April, according to a Gothamist report. This increase prompted New York City to begin tracking probable COVID-19 deaths last week, when officials added more than 3,700 deaths in a day to the overall fatality count, The New York Times reported.

Are they faking the extra amount of calls they got for dead people at home? Is there a reason that would spike?

If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.
Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: hooziewhatsit] #2773862
05/12/20 12:26 PM
05/12/20 12:26 PM
Oregon
A
AndyF Online content
I Win
AndyF  Online Content
I Win
A

Oregon
You are overstating things. In some places there are a lot more deaths than usual but in other places there aren't. Here in Oregon we typically have 100 deaths per day which is normal for our population of 4 million. With covid our daily death number has increased 2% to 102 per day. Not really a major change. NY city did get hit heavy and some other places around the world such as Spain and Italy got hid very hard. Australia has had very few deaths from covid, NZ even fewer. It isn't a one dimensional thing and at the moment nobody really seems to understand what is going on. Density is obviously important so it could be that a person needs to get a heavy dose of the virus to get really sick. Maybe you only get a heavy dose of the virus if you're surrounded by infected people.

Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: AndyF] #2773882
05/12/20 01:24 PM
05/12/20 01:24 PM
Oregon
hooziewhatsit Offline
master
hooziewhatsit  Offline
master

Oregon
True! Us in Oregon haven't gotten hit too hard, because we isolated.

I'm mostly responding that the 80k number must be fake news, because some places seem to be over counting. If everywhere was over counting/wrong atributing, then the unexpected deaths would be non-existent, but they aren't.

If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.
Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: hooziewhatsit] #2773893
05/12/20 01:59 PM
05/12/20 01:59 PM
Jefferson State
S
srt Offline
ESYC
srt  Offline
ESYC
S

Jefferson State
Re: the 80k number - Fauci believes it's understated.
I feel all this back and forth is created by the powers as a distraction of what is actually happening. We are having a pandemic.
The operating parameters that the powers have implemented are rife for being taken out of context.
The experts appear to me been directed to not distribute facts that everyone needs to know. Engineering the outcome of a pandemic cannot be done. Statements like I believe, I think, I suppose, I'd like, etc. have nothing to do in the response to the pandemic that people should be scared of. We are becoming afraid of the very experts that are supposed to get through this as whole and complete as they can. It's a biological crisis first, the rest is fallout.
The powers need to provide their bosses, us, the facts. If not enjoy the wicked ride.

Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: hooziewhatsit] #2773895
05/12/20 02:02 PM
05/12/20 02:02 PM
Benton, IL.
D
DaveRS23 Offline
Special needs idiot
DaveRS23  Offline
Special needs idiot
D

Benton, IL.
Originally Posted by hooziewhatsit
Originally Posted by DaveRS23

Which means I'll repost this as well grin

Even if we counted every single death as being incorrectly from Covid, we have a whole bunch more deaths than we normally see this time of year.

I agree that some areas are overcounting deaths. In other places we're undercounting them. As these charts show however, we're still seeing a lot more people die than we would expect.

https://www.economist.com/graphic-detail/2020/04/16/tracking-covid-19-excess-deaths-across-countries

https://www.medpagetoday.com/infectiousdisease/covid19/86127

The Fire Department of New York received nearly 200 additional calls per day for deaths at home in early April, according to a Gothamist report. This increase prompted New York City to begin tracking probable COVID-19 deaths last week, when officials added more than 3,700 deaths in a day to the overall fatality count, The New York Times reported.

Are they faking the extra amount of calls they got for dead people at home? Is there a reason that would spike?

Oh, where to start?

Your first link says NOTHING about the United States in general. It's primary focus and almost all of it's information is about Europe. They threw in New York City, but that is all there is from the U.S.

Your second one talks about the disparities in reporting Covid deaths. But still says that 'It is important to document the probable cases'. Probable, not verified. So, once again, err on the high side.

And your two sources are not exactly main stream. I'll bet most on here, like myself, have never heard of them till now.

As to the additional deaths at home, it has already been touched on in this thread that emergency services in the hardest hit cities have had a hard time getting to all the calls in a timely manner. In no small part due to the overreaction of anyone with a cough calling 911. There are also reports that some people are hesitant to go to the hospital due to fears of being exposed to the virus. So, more deaths at home could very well be as much because of the hype and hyperbole as to the virus itself.

https://abc7news.com/bay-area-coronavirus-update-california-shelter-in-place-lockdown/6106051/

And here is a good example where politicians step in and mandate a policy that actually kills people. Was that Cuomo's intention? Of course not. But his mandate directly lead to additional Covid deaths. And now, it is being reported that those numbers were actually not fully counted.

https://abc7ny.com/nursing-home-deaths-cuomo-criticized-in-new-york/6168676/

There are places that might need to be locked-down. But not nearly as much of America as has been. And maybe even worse, we are seeing more and more politicians openly lie to us about the numbers to cover their butts.

Most independent experts believe that the mortality rate for this virus has been between 1% and 1.3%. And that is using the often inflated number of deaths being blamed on the virus and the large number of those not known to be infected. Remember too, that the mortality rate is very age related. It has been widely reported that the majority of healthy adults are asymptomatic. Couple that with the fact that over 99% of the healthy adults that test positive for Corona will survive and you have a politically motivated over-reaction.

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-05-covid-death.html

Master, again and still
Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: DaveRS23] #2773925
05/12/20 04:02 PM
05/12/20 04:02 PM
Jefferson State
S
srt Offline
ESYC
srt  Offline
ESYC
S

Jefferson State
Raining again today, = more numbers
Re: Herd Immunity
Need ~70% infection rate of Covid 19 to achieve.from This Article <-Click
Now we are about 1.358m ill (0.413% of us population 328.2m) infected and about 81,650 deaths (6.01% of ill)
To get to herd immunity of ~70% of 328.2m results in 229.7m ill people applying 6.01% gives 13,804,970 deaths to reach herd immunity.
These are extrapolated numbers assuming that existing trends will continue and accepting 70% to reach herd immunity. I've applied no correction to the numbers presented to us. They are just numbers using the data given.
I don't think it's important to figure to anything but a close number and will not attempt to put a price on human lives. Bottom line without a viable treatment (nothing thus far) or a vaccine (a long way off) we need to be patient and not climb the 70% too fast. This is precisely what flattening the curve is all about. This is exactly why undistancing will increase deaths as we inch toward herd immunity. That state is a long way off, we are @ 6% now and have to get to 70%. Add to that any outsiders coming into the country, virus mutations, new symptoms, and application of commonly accepted co-morbidities.

Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: srt] #2773931
05/12/20 04:29 PM
05/12/20 04:29 PM
USA
360view Offline
Moparts resident spammer
360view  Offline
Moparts resident spammer

USA
Originally Posted by srt
Raining again today, = more numbers
Re: Herd Immunity

Now we are about 1.358m ill (0.413% of us population 328.2m) infected and about 81,650 deaths (6.01% of ill)
To get to herd immunity of ~70% of 328.2m results in 229.7m ill people applying 6.01% gives 13,804,970 deaths to reach herd immunity.

You are assuming that the “confirmed by test cases”
1.358 million
are the only infected Americans.

You need to multiply the 1.358 million by roughly 28

We have not done enough “antibody tests” on the general USA population to know the
“infected & recovered but never tested”
but the antibody testing that has been done in the USA
indicates that for every “confirmed case” there are another 28 cases.

Only the little country of Iceland has done enough antibody testing to determine the percent of their population that has been infected.

Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: srt] #2773932
05/12/20 04:35 PM
05/12/20 04:35 PM
Fulton County, PA
C
CMcAllister Online content
Mr. Helpful
CMcAllister  Online Content
Mr. Helpful
C

Fulton County, PA
Once again our Governor being as vague as can be. Basically telling evreyone do do what he says and don't question him or his people. Basing his decisions on "experts" but won't say who these experts are. Threatening citizens and local officials who have said they are opening up Friday with"consequences".

The clownshow health secretary apparently is now putting the number of old folks killed as a result of putting C19 patients in nursing homes at a little over 200. That's our PC hire expert. Local elected officials are calling for it to resign or be fired for being a complete failure. Folks are about to go full tilt off the reservation.

If the results don't match the theory, change the theory.
Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: 360view] #2773940
05/12/20 05:31 PM
05/12/20 05:31 PM
Oregon
A
AndyF Online content
I Win
AndyF  Online Content
I Win
A

Oregon
In Oregon where I live the mortality rate is pretty low, roughly 2 or 3 people per day out of 4 million population. Nobody knows what the infection rate is since they are only testing about 15,000 people per week. They are only testing a small group of people, namely those who think they are sick or people who have been in contact with sick people. Even with that narrow slice of the population they are only finding 3% infection rate. So only 3% of the people who think they are sick actually are infected with covid. Of the small group who are sick about 4% of them end up dying. So 4% of 3% which is a small number.

Currently in a population of 4 million we only have 57 people in the hospital with covid. The hospitals are almost vacant waiting for a rush of covid patients but only a trickle showed up. Which I suppose is a good thing but then again, there are a bunch of people who need medical care who aren't getting it. Some of those people are dying since they aren't being allowed to get the medical care they need.

In Oregon the last numbers I saw showed that almost everyone who has died of covid had an underlying medical condition. I think it was higher than 90%. And most of those people who died in our state were older than 80. So for the most part, covid is finishing off older people who were already sick. The policy makers have a tough problem on their hands but eventually they'll have to come up with a solution that gets the economy running even though sick people, and especially sick people who are older are continuing to die from the virus. They really have no other choice at this point. Shutting everything down is not a long term strategy since everyone will starve to death. Some of the politicians can't figure it out yet but they'll be forced to figure it out within the next few weeks.

At this point I think the virus is winning. It is going to kill off the older and sicker people over time. They might be able to stay isolated for a few months but eventually the virus will capture all of its victims. Only thing that is going to stop it is a cure and it could take a long time for that to appear. The politicians are going to need to move to the next stage of recovery sooner or later. Right now about half of them are refusing to accept reality.

Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: 360view] #2773943
05/12/20 05:47 PM
05/12/20 05:47 PM
Jefferson State
S
srt Offline
ESYC
srt  Offline
ESYC
S

Jefferson State
Originally Posted by 360view
“confirmed by test cases”

I'm glad you mentioned that as I intentionally used only the numbers that we've been provided.

One can not apply fuzzy logic if we do not have all the numbers. I feel confident in saying the simplistic approach of flattening the curve by playing with numbers behind curtians leaves us rife for debate. The people in charge of what to spoon-feed the public are well versed in grinding numbers.
Between the blurred numbers we can only guess what is going on.

Using the 1/28th example you mentionse there is yet slightly over 493 thousand deaths to reach herd immunity. This is barring the other influences I mentioned. Using the 73% number of people that died of covid yet had preexisting conditions (but not in dire shape) equates to 133,000 healthy and 360,000 with pre-existing conditions dying to reach herd immunity
Since it's been said we have enough hospital beds, we will need more masks, body bags and test kits to go down that path.

Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: AndyF] #2773946
05/12/20 05:58 PM
05/12/20 05:58 PM
Jefferson State
S
srt Offline
ESYC
srt  Offline
ESYC
S

Jefferson State
Originally Posted by AndyF
In Oregon where I live the mortality rate is pretty low, roughly 2 or 3 people per day out of 4 million population. Nobody knows what the infection rate is since they are only testing about 15,000 people per week. They are only testing a small group of people, namely those who think they are sick or people who have been in contact with sick people. Even with that narrow slice of the population they are only finding 3% infection rate. So only 3% of the people who think they are sick actually are infected with covid. Of the small group who are sick about 4% of them end up dying. So 4% of 3% which is a small number.

Currently in a population of 4 million we only have 57 people in the hospital with covid. The hospitals are almost vacant waiting for a rush of covid patients but only a trickle showed up. Which I suppose is a good thing but then again, there are a bunch of people who need medical care who aren't getting it. Some of those people are dying since they aren't being allowed to get the medical care they need.

In Oregon the last numbers I saw showed that almost everyone who has died of covid had an underlying medical condition. I think it was higher than 90%. And most of those people who died in our state were older than 80. So for the most part, covid is finishing off older people who were already sick. The policy makers have a tough problem on their hands but eventually they'll have to come up with a solution that gets the economy running even though sick people, and especially sick people who are older are continuing to die from the virus. They really have no other choice at this point. Shutting everything down is not a long term strategy since everyone will starve to death. Some of the politicians can't figure it out yet but they'll be forced to figure it out within the next few weeks.

At this point I think the virus is winning. It is going to kill off the older and sicker people over time. They might be able to stay isolated for a few months but eventually the virus will capture all of its victims. Only thing that is going to stop it is a cure and it could take a long time for that to appear. The politicians are going to need to move to the next stage of recovery sooner or later. Right now about half of them are refusing to accept reality.

I check Oregons info regularly as I have family and friends who live there. Some of what you've presented does not jive.
Oregon Data <- Click
One stand out is >80 = <1/2
At some-point down the road I expect our elected representives will provide us with the actual data. We should be able to see trends beginning and if the Federal Government established standardized reporting all states would (should) report similar %'s as we a dealing with a singal disease. The Specialists would be able to quickly pick up and variations they do not expect from a standardized reporting. i.e. - why a state is seeing an spike is a certain age group.

Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: 360view] #2773948
05/12/20 06:04 PM
05/12/20 06:04 PM
USA
360view Offline
Moparts resident spammer
360view  Offline
Moparts resident spammer

USA
https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-05-immunity-coronavirus-infection-vaccines.html

Sample quote

Yet predicting the strength and duration of the immune system's response, whether to a live infection or a vaccine, is anything but straightforward.

In the fall of 2016, Columbia University researchers began periodically swabbing the nasal passages of 191 volunteers, analyzing the genetic material within for a variety of respiratory viruses.

During the next year and a half, 86 people became infected with coronaviruses—milder cousins of the one now causing so much havoc. Twelve tested positive for the same one at least twice, including three people who each were infected three times with a coronavirus nicknamed OC43.

End quote

Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: 360view] #2773949
05/12/20 06:10 PM
05/12/20 06:10 PM
USA
360view Offline
Moparts resident spammer
360view  Offline
Moparts resident spammer

USA
Irish say boosting Vitamin D is cheap and may help lower COVID-19 deaths:

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-05-vitamin-d-severity-covid-advice.html

Sample quote

The authors propose that, whereas optimising vitamin D levels will certainly benefit bone and muscle health, the data suggests that it is also likely to reduce serious COVID-19 complications. This may be because vitamin D is important in regulation and suppression of the inflammatory cytokine response, which causes the severe consequences of COVID-19 and 'acute respiratory distress syndrome' associated with ventilation and death.

End quote

Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: 360view] #2773952
05/12/20 06:16 PM
05/12/20 06:16 PM
USA
360view Offline
Moparts resident spammer
360view  Offline
Moparts resident spammer

USA
UVa School of Medicine suspects readily available antidepressant Luvox (generic fluvoxamine)
may be beneficial against both COVID-19 and Sepsis:

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-05-covid-discovery-spurs-clinical-trial.html

Sample quote

Researchers at the Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis are launching a clinical trial to determine if the drug fluvoxamine can prevent "cytokine storms," in which the body is flooded with immune cell mediators called cytokines. This frenzied immune response can lead to life-threatening organ failure and has been a major concern in patients with severe COVID-19 infections.

UVA researchers Alban Gaultier, Ph.D., and Dorian A Rosen, Ph.D., found last year that fluvoxamine may stop the deadly inflammation known as sepsis, in which the immune response spirals out of control. The drug, they determined, reduced the production of cytokines. It proved effective in mice as a preventative treatment for sepsis, and now it will be tested as a protective measure for patients with COVID-19.

End quote

Page 73 of 136 1 2 71 72 73 74 75 135 136