jcc Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
Originally Posted by calmopar
Originally Posted by srt
A potential issue with the increasing number of patients with covid is the potential for mutations.
Sars family of virus (includes Covid) are typically slow to mutate because it's hosts (animals and people) have no ability to fight it. It does experience a mutation rate of 21/20,000 (.00105%) to 63/50,000 (.00126%) from this article Covid Mutations. Not much research has been done on the Sars virus family since it was contained in 2004. Covid (SARS-CoV-2 virus) is a betacoronavirus, like MERS-CoV and SARS-CoV. All three of these viruses have their origins in bats. With the chance of containment long gone and it's aggressive infection rate the virus is poised to be spreading at an accelerated rate as social restrictions are relaxed. There will be a race to get a viable vaccine before variants emerge and get a foothold. One report I read cited contact tracing is very important now to quarantine contacts so that anyone harboring a covid 19 variant does not spread.
There is a multi prong approach relax restrictions/see increase in infections/treat ill quarantine ultimately find vaccine (if can be developed).
Lets hope the asymptomativ infected do not unwittingly speard the virus and or mutant strain(s). Regardless, older or infirm people should still maintain prevention (distancing) and everyone else should strive to minimize interaction and everyone should still be washing hand and things brought into homes and even wear masks.

Mutated version identified - it's more contagious than the Wuhan parent. Vaccines based on fighting the original might not work. https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/A-mutant-coronavirus-has-emerged-even-more-15247656.php

Normally mutations evolve into less deadly versions, being as the patients die off, only the less deadly versions remain. Contagiousness is another trait, as I see it.

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: jcc] #2771523
05/05/20 05:39 PM
05/05/20 05:39 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
With the ongoing Florida unemployment train wreck, I thought this was interesting:

"Florida’s unemployment fund earned nearly $25 million in interest in the first three months of this year, according to an accounting record obtained by the I-Team.

While other states across the country saw their unemployment funds shrink as checks were quickly mailed out to people who lost their jobs due to the coronavirus, Florida was the only state in March that was taking in more money than it was paying out in unemployment checks."

https://www.abcactionnews.com/news/...s-floridians-wait-on-unemployment-checks

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: jcc] #2771527
05/05/20 05:49 PM
05/05/20 05:49 PM
Jefferson State
S
srt Offline
ESYC
srt  Offline
ESYC
S

Jefferson State
I know little of virology. What is known as posted above is there is a least two strains. The second may be more contageous and is yet deadly to some.
I do not know if the Covid 19 is a mutant of the predecessor Sars and sure don't like the thought of researchers seeking treatment or vaccine may have to re-boot as some point down the road.
I hope treatment and vaccine will soon be at hand. some reports make me feel those thoughts may not materialize.

Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: 360view] #2771547
05/05/20 06:51 PM
05/05/20 06:51 PM
USA
360view Offline
Moparts resident spammer
360view  Offline
Moparts resident spammer

USA
https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/05/should-schools-reopen-kids-role-pandemic-still-mystery

Sample quote

The story could be a bizarre outlier—or a tantalizing clue. Several studies of COVID-19 hint that children are less likely to catch the novel coronavirus, and don’t often transmit it to others. A recent survey of the literature couldn’t find a single example of a child under 10 passing the virus on to someone else, for example.
Relying on those encouraging if scant data—and the reassuring knowledge that very few children get severely ill from COVID-19—some governments are beginning to reopen schools. Denmark sent children up to age 11 back on 15 April, and Germany welcomed back mostly older children on 29 April. Some Israeli schools reopened on 3 May; the Netherlands and the Canadian province of Quebec plan to reopen many primary schools on 11 May. The steps are tentative; most schools are resuming with reduced class sizes, shortened school days, and extra handwashing.

Ending school closures has clear benefits for children’s education and mental health—not to mention their parents’ well-being—but scientists disagree about the risks.
End quote

Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: 360view] #2771554
05/05/20 07:15 PM
05/05/20 07:15 PM
Michigan
MarkZ Offline
Worthy
MarkZ  Offline
Worthy

Michigan
Originally Posted by 360view
Are the measures taken during smallpox and COVID-19 epidemic constitutional, according to past Supreme Court decisions?

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-05-smallpox-defeated-wasnt-easy-relevant.html

Sample quote

What role did the U.S. Supreme Court play?

Willrich: In 1905 the Court ruled on the constitutionality of compulsory vaccination measures in Jacobson vs. Massachusetts. In upholding the legitimacy of compulsory vaccination, the Supreme Court compared the right to enact public health measures during an epidemic to the right of a government, any government, to defend its people from a military invasion. And they compared the right to compel individuals to be vaccinated, whether they wanted to or not, to the power to conscript the people in order to raise an army. These are very strong statements of public health authority.

However, the Court emphasized that these measures must not be arbitrary and unreasonable, that they must address legitimate public health concerns, and that in some extreme cases public health regulations might be "so arbitrary and oppressive" as to justify judicial review. That is an important standard, and Jacobson remains the major case today in public health law, more than a century later.

End quote

How on Earth could you liken compulsory vaccination to military conscription? Last I checked conscription has only ever been used with fighting aged males in this country, and even then it didn't include all of them. Are we adding woman and children now?

I understand the need for vaccination and would happily volunteer, but I don't know what I would fear more: the government having such power or the virus itself?

1987 Fifth Avenue - 512/518/D60
Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: 360view] #2771623
05/05/20 09:51 PM
05/05/20 09:51 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/05/should-schools-reopen-kids-role-pandemic-still-mystery

Sample quote

The story could be a bizarre outlier—or a tantalizing clue. Several studies of COVID-19 hint that children are less likely to catch the novel coronavirus, and don’t often transmit it to others. A recent survey of the literature couldn’t find a single example of a child under 10 passing the virus on to someone else, for example.
Relying on those encouraging if scant data—and the reassuring knowledge that very few children get severely ill from COVID-19—some governments are beginning to reopen schools. Denmark sent children up to age 11 back on 15 April, and Germany welcomed back mostly older children on 29 April. Some Israeli schools reopened on 3 May; the Netherlands and the Canadian province of Quebec plan to reopen many primary schools on 11 May. The steps are tentative; most schools are resuming with reduced class sizes, shortened school days, and extra handwashing.

Ending school closures has clear benefits for children’s education and mental health—not to mention their parents’ well-being—but scientists disagree about the risks.
End quote

I find it hard to believe a parent actually wrote that. At least I don't know any parents that will jeopardize their kids safety for the reasons given.

Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: MarkZ] #2771665
05/06/20 12:03 AM
05/06/20 12:03 AM
(Central) PA
Runner2go Offline
I Live Here
Runner2go  Offline
I Live Here

(Central) PA
Originally Posted by MarkM
Originally Posted by CMcAllister
Originally Posted by ChryCoGuy
Originally Posted by pittsburghracer
And PLEASE don't get me started on the subject of Engineers. LMAO.

I wish all of the structures and machines, that I trust my life and safety with, were designed by people who weren't engineers...

...said nobody, ever. laugh2

I wish all the stuff I've had to diagnose, take apart and put back together had been designed by a guy who had to diagnose it, take it apart and put it back together himself before the plan was OKed. hammer

Is that the fault of the engineer or the bean counter?

I don't know... how many times have you tried to remove something on your car, and called the engineer that decided to put something exactly where he did, every name in the book... All because of the 1 or more parts that need to be removed or loosened, that wouldn't have to removed or loosened if the initial GD bolt had been placed 1/8" to the left or right... or the the part above it were located an 1/8' left or right... When said part or bolt, could have accomplished exactly what it was meant to do, up to an 1" in either direction.... whistling
Common admit it... you've done it. coffee
We all have.... a lot. laugh2

I'm sure the same is likely said in the medical field... though the application is different.

Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: Runner2go] #2771668
05/06/20 12:23 AM
05/06/20 12:23 AM
Jefferson State
S
srt Offline
ESYC
srt  Offline
ESYC
S

Jefferson State
Like B body hemi's with power brakes had to move mastercyl to change spark plug or adjust lash.Or, the 75 Mustang II302 where the hotor had to be jacked up for spark plug change. Sometimes inconveniences happen to get the desired product, then revisions are made down the road.

Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: 360view] #2771672
05/06/20 12:40 AM
05/06/20 12:40 AM
(Central) PA
Runner2go Offline
I Live Here
Runner2go  Offline
I Live Here

(Central) PA
Colored coded map of USA showing where patients already have two underlying conditions

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-05-dartmouth-atlas-covid-.html

Explains why Utah has less than 1% confirmed case fatality ratio while KY has 4.98%

Interesting map, but you'd think the dead would be piling up in the streets/woods of West Virginia.
But they only have 50 dead... 6 less than Utah... and a little over 1/5 of the confirmed cases.
The percentage is higher, because WV has less cases overall... but look how RED it is. eek
Plenty of ripe unhealthy pickings for corona in WV... with twice the population density of Utah.
WV 77.1 people per square mile
Utah 33.6 people per square mile

Makes you wonder why they only have 1242 cases to Utah's 5449. work
Maybe the corona hates moonshine. whistling

Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: Runner2go] #2771678
05/06/20 01:39 AM
05/06/20 01:39 AM
Phila
P
PhillyRag Offline
top fuel
PhillyRag  Offline
top fuel
P

Phila
I don't know... how many times have you tried to remove something on your car, and called the engineer that decided to put something exactly where he did, every name in the book... All because of the 1 or more parts that need to be removed or loosened, that wouldn't have to removed or loosened if the initial GD bolt had been placed 1/8" to the left or right... or the the part above it were located an 1/8' left or right... When said part or bolt, could have accomplished exactly what it was meant to do, up to an 1" in either direction...

Because the manufacture's "assembly" procedure (cheapest/fastest) deemed it best & don't care about any "disassembly" procedure. It's all about how it goes "together" and not how is "comes apart"

Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: srt] #2771679
05/06/20 01:50 AM
05/06/20 01:50 AM
Phila
P
PhillyRag Offline
top fuel
PhillyRag  Offline
top fuel
P

Phila
Originally Posted by srt
A potential issue with the increasing number of patients with covid is the potential for mutations.
Sars family of virus (includes Covid) are typically slow to mutate because it's hosts (animals and people) have no ability to fight it. It does experience a mutation rate of 21/20,000 (.00105%) to 63/50,000 (.00126%) from this article Covid Mutations. Not much research has been done on the Sars virus family since it was contained in 2004. Covid (SARS-CoV-2 virus) is a betacoronavirus, like MERS-CoV and SARS-CoV. All three of these viruses have their origins in bats. With the chance of containment long gone and it's aggressive infection rate the virus is poised to be spreading at an accelerated rate as social restrictions are relaxed. There will be a race to get a viable vaccine before variants emerge and get a foothold. One report I read cited contact tracing is very important now to quarantine contacts so that anyone harboring a covid 19 variant does not spread.
Just what our country needs Justification for "tagging" us all to keep track of us. As if GPS on phones isn't invasive enough.

There is a multi prong approach relax restrictions/see increase in infections/treat ill quarantine ultimately find vaccine (if can be developed).
Lets hope the asymptomativ infected do not unwittingly speard the virus and or mutant strain(s).
Won't happen unless testing is vastly expanded to ALL people, not just the "essentials"
Regardless, older or infirm people should still maintain prevention (distancing) and everyone else should strive to minimize interaction and everyone should still be washing hand and things brought into homes and even wear masks.

Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: 360view] #2771681
05/06/20 02:11 AM
05/06/20 02:11 AM
Jefferson State
S
srt Offline
ESYC
srt  Offline
ESYC
S

Jefferson State
Colored coded map of USA showing where patients already have two underlying conditions

Explains why Utah has less than 1% confirmed case fatality ratio while KY has 4.98%

In the article accompanying the map:

"In collaboration with Microsoft Healthcare NeXT and CareJourney, Dartmouth Atlas has also issued data about the regions in the U.S. with Medicare beneficiaries over the age of 65 who have two or more chronic conditions—the people most vulnerable to developing severe cases of COVID-19."

I believe the map is color-coded to show general public over age 65 with 2 or more chronic conditions, AND NOT (covid) patients with two or more underlying conditions.
I believe the writers are inferring that those areas could see high death rates among that population should covid get a toe-hold in those commnities.

Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: srt] #2771689
05/06/20 03:29 AM
05/06/20 03:29 AM
(Central) PA
Runner2go Offline
I Live Here
Runner2go  Offline
I Live Here

(Central) PA
Originally Posted by srt

In the article accompanying the map:

"In collaboration with Microsoft Healthcare NeXT and CareJourney, Dartmouth Atlas has also issued data about the regions in the U.S. with Medicare beneficiaries over the age of 65 who have two or more chronic conditions—the people most vulnerable to developing severe cases of COVID-19."

I believe the map is color-coded to show general public over age 65 with 2 or more chronic conditions, AND NOT (covid) patients with two or more underlying conditions.
I believe the writers are inferring that those areas could see high death rates among that population should covid get a toe-hold in those commnities.

Pretty sure that is the exact point he was making when he posted it.

He then highlighted Utah because the map shows few people over 65 with 2 conditions...
Then I pointed out that W.V. is loaded with old people with at least 2 chronic conditions... yet has few covid cases.

NY, NJ & PA are seeing high death rates, in part because all 3 of them decided to send covid patients back to the nursing homes. Apparently it wasn't just NY that did it... they just did it 1st. frown
25% of NY deaths are in nursing homes... in PA the figure is currently 65%...
I didn't see a Nursing Home % figure posted for NJ yet, but it's likely at least as high as NY

Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: 360view] #2771701
05/06/20 07:09 AM
05/06/20 07:09 AM
USA
360view Offline
Moparts resident spammer
360view  Offline
Moparts resident spammer

USA
Monoclonal antibody isolated

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...cant-breakthrough-minister-idUSKBN22G2WT

Could be manufactured in huge numbers faster than a vaccine, or could be the “guts” of a non-traditional vaccine

Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: 360view] #2771702
05/06/20 07:21 AM
05/06/20 07:21 AM
USA
360view Offline
Moparts resident spammer
360view  Offline
Moparts resident spammer

USA

Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: 360view] #2771720
05/06/20 08:51 AM
05/06/20 08:51 AM
Benton, IL.
D
DaveRS23 Online rolleyes
Special needs idiot
DaveRS23  Online Rolleyes
Special needs idiot
D

Benton, IL.

Is anyone surprised? A very thorough investigation could be held right now and I'll be that if there had been any incriminating evidence that it could not be found now. An authoritarian regime is not going to give foreign investigators even more freedom than they do their own populace.

Think for a minute, during WWII the United States fought major wars on 2 fronts, supplied the Allied war effort with supplies and munitions, and developed the atomic bomb.

Who here thinks that looking into the origins of this pandemic at this time would have any impact on getting on top of this virus?

Master, again and still
Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: DaveRS23] #2771736
05/06/20 10:09 AM
05/06/20 10:09 AM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
We are still hearing newly released/discovered on details (cover-ups) about WW2, That will never change, All governments number one goal is self preservation of their authority, no matter how democratic they appear to be. But time is of the essence to minimize cover-ups expanding. It comes down to risk vs reward in a pandemic, and how far into the future one wants to protect.

On another maybe COVID related note, visited the local Walmart this AM, when passing thru the electronics/TV dept, the shelves were nearly bare (2?) of 40"+ TV's, I have never seen that before. Has there been a run with on big TV's with Stimulus checks and everybody staying at home?

Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: jcc] #2771751
05/06/20 10:47 AM
05/06/20 10:47 AM
Jefferson State
S
srt Offline
ESYC
srt  Offline
ESYC
S

Jefferson State
I've found this sf bay area newspaper page helpful to quickly get timely data and also think their charts are very informative for principally the statewide perspective. Odd that within the Bay Area cases are dropping/plateau while the statewide is increasing. Conversely So Cal is seeing mainly increases I expect data will be forthcoming that increased social excursions are driving the increase.
[url=https://projects.sfchronicle.com/2020/coronavirus-map/\Chronicle Coronavirus[/url]

Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: jcc] #2771880
05/06/20 06:36 PM
05/06/20 06:36 PM
(Central) PA
Runner2go Offline
I Live Here
Runner2go  Offline
I Live Here

(Central) PA
Originally Posted by jcc
We are still hearing newly released/discovered on details (cover-ups) about WW2, That will never change, All governments number one goal is self preservation of their authority, no matter how democratic they appear to be. But time is of the essence to minimize cover-ups expanding. It comes down to risk vs reward in a pandemic, and how far into the future one wants to protect.

On another maybe COVID related note, visited the local Walmart this AM, when passing thru the electronics/TV dept, the shelves were nearly bare (2?) of 40"+ TV's, I have never seen that before. Has there been a run with on big TV's with Stimulus checks and everybody staying at home?

They were walking the big TV's out the door at SAMS the Sat after my check arrived...
Along with Alaska King Crab & 20oz Lobster tails.

Remember only the people actually laid off really "need" the $1200....
People who are well off likely do not... Retired people with a pension/SS have not seen any change in income (though many could use it anyway) People on Welfare or disability, likewise have not seen any change in their income... and also get a check.

Those that need it are going to spend it on food... but for the large number of people it's just "Free Money". It was a poorly thought out plan... It should have been tied more closely to the loss of actual income.

On a seperate note... new Covid figures released today for my State (PA) now show "68%" of all Covid Deaths have occurred in Nursing Homes & Retirement communities. Up from 65%. My county is low at only 9%, but right next door in Lancaster county, 88% of all the deaths were in nursing homes. Good thing he who is running the State, decided to follow NY's lead & send Covid positive patients back to the homes. It's managed to free up a couple of thousand rooms for new residents... so far... whistling..

Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: Runner2go] #2771892
05/06/20 07:08 PM
05/06/20 07:08 PM
PA.
pittsburghracer Offline
"Little"John
pittsburghracer  Offline
"Little"John

PA.
Hey mine was finally deposited today so I dropped off some parts to have machined to my local shop that is slow.

1970 Duster
Edelbrock headed 408
5.984@112.52
422 Indy headed small block
5.982@112.56 mph
9.42@138.27

Livin and lovin life one day at a time

Page 65 of 136 1 2 63 64 65 66 67 135 136