Mr. Helpful
C

Fulton County, PA
Originally Posted by srt
Originally Posted by moparx
i never received $1200.00.
beer

nor did my wife or I beer

I did. If they can magically snap their fingers and make things the way they were 2 months ago, I'll gladly give it back.

If the results don't match the theory, change the theory.
Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: CMcAllister] #2771127
05/04/20 03:41 PM
05/04/20 03:41 PM
Jefferson State
S
srt Offline
ESYC
srt  Offline
ESYC
S

Jefferson State
Originally Posted by CMcAllister
....After that, we need to be deal with the people who caused this and make sure it doesn't happen again. What ever it takes. No excuses. No nicey-nice. No negotiation. Fix it. Disconnect. Kick to the curb. Pull everything out.....

I agree it's important to find out what happened. I'm not endorsing this site, used a quick search and this was the most recent of over two dozen hits
the explains Coronavirus evolved naturally <-Link There have been other links posted in this thread by others.
Now about outsourcing corporate tendency to outsource (save on costs and environmental compliance) that is a completely separate matter.
If we all knew what was going on would it be a perfect world? Bottom line the financial hit is terrible, I do not live in a shell and as an engineer look for solutions to problems.

Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: srt] #2771133
05/04/20 04:23 PM
05/04/20 04:23 PM
PA.
pittsburghracer Offline
"Little"John
pittsburghracer  Offline
"Little"John

PA.
Originally Posted by srt
....After that, we need to be deal with the people who caused this and make sure it doesn't happen again. What ever it takes. No excuses. No nicey-nice. No negotiation. Fix it. Disconnect. Kick to the curb. Pull everything out.....

I agree it's important to find out what happened. I'm not endorsing this site, used a quick search and this was the most recent of over two dozen hits
the explains Coronavirus evolved naturally <-Link There have been other links posted in this thread by others.
Now about outsourcing corporate tendency to outsource (save on costs and environmental compliance) that is a completely separate matter.
If we all knew what was going on would it be a perfect world? Bottom line the financial hit is terrible, I do not live in a shell and as an engineer look for solutions to problems.

I tried to see where you live to see if that explained your "water under the bridge" comment but all I can figure is Illugia Must be in Southern China to make to off the wall comment. And PLEASE don't get me started on the subject of Engineers. LMAO.

1970 Duster
Edelbrock headed 408
5.984@112.52
422 Indy headed small block
5.982@112.56 mph
9.42@138.27

Livin and lovin life one day at a time

Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: pittsburghracer] #2771140
05/04/20 04:56 PM
05/04/20 04:56 PM
Fulton County, PA
C
CMcAllister Offline
Mr. Helpful
CMcAllister  Offline
Mr. Helpful
C

Fulton County, PA
I agree - a vaccine is a priority.

A solution to the problem? A major reset of our relationship with the Chicom government. Re-establish our relations with Taiwan.

When fan, the Chinese held our medical supplies hostage and threatened us and everyone else who had a bad word to say about them. Run their rusty carrier out into the South China Sea, flew bombers around Taiwan and acted like the savages that they are.

I don't expect them to behave like anything different than what they are, savages and bullies. They are the one who need to be quarantined. We need to protect ourselves from their ruthlessness and carelessness.

And stop sending them billions of dollars that they use to continue to try to intimidate and abuse us.

Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: pittsburghracer] #2771164
05/04/20 05:56 PM
05/04/20 05:56 PM
o
C
ChryCoGuy Offline
master
ChryCoGuy  Offline
master
C

o
Originally Posted by pittsburghracer
And PLEASE don't get me started on the subject of Engineers. LMAO.

I wish all of the structures and machines, that I trust my life and safety with, were designed by people who weren't engineers...

...said nobody, ever. laugh2

Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: ChryCoGuy] #2771171
05/04/20 06:27 PM
05/04/20 06:27 PM
Fulton County, PA
C
CMcAllister Offline
Mr. Helpful
CMcAllister  Offline
Mr. Helpful
C

Fulton County, PA
Originally Posted by ChryCoGuy

I wish all of the structures and machines, that I trust my life and safety with, were designed by people who weren't engineers...

I wish all the stuff I've had to diagnose, take apart and put back together had been designed by a guy who had to diagnose it, take it apart and put it back together himself before the plan was OKed. hammer

Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: CMcAllister] #2771173
05/04/20 06:45 PM
05/04/20 06:45 PM
Michigan
MarkZ Offline
Worthy
MarkZ  Offline
Worthy

Michigan

I wish all the stuff I've had to diagnose, take apart and put back together had been designed by a guy who had to diagnose it, take it apart and put it back together himself before the plan was OKed. hammer

Is that the fault of the engineer or the bean counter?

1987 Fifth Avenue - 512/518/D60
Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: MarkZ] #2771179
05/04/20 07:03 PM
05/04/20 07:03 PM
Tucson AZ,
M
MadMopars Offline
pro stock
MadMopars  Offline
pro stock
M

Tucson AZ,
Originally Posted by MarkM

Is that the fault of the engineer or the bean counter?

Engineer!

What do I win!?!?

boogie

[img]https://s9.postimg.cc/6fbjxzfvv/48-2016-_Drag-_Weekend-_Best-_Burnouts-lpr.jpg[/img]

73 GTX *440*727*8 3/4*
69 DART GT *440*4 SPEED*DANA*
73 ROAD RUNNER *451*4 SPEED*DANA*
64 F100 *383*4 SPEED*9"*
75 DODGE D300 *440*4 SPEED*DANA*
99 DODGE RAM 3500 4X4 DUALLY... ON 38"s
Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: CMcAllister] #2771181
05/04/20 07:06 PM
05/04/20 07:06 PM
Jefferson State
S
srt Offline
ESYC
srt  Offline
ESYC
S

Jefferson State
I agree some Engineers are book savvy and then there are others that can think independently.
Some Engineers brought us interesting and long used "things". I've never met an Engineer that did not feel improvements to their design.was not the highest form of flattery. Their idea was good enough to be accepted and improved.
Before I was an Engineer, at six years old took apart and got running a tecumseh engine on our family lawn mower. It was blown (head gasket) and needed bearings and rings. A neighbor told me what to do and I ran back and forth and did as he described. That started a series of rebuilding all sorts of junk I dragged home from the dump and sold for money. I learned to rebuild car motors, by myself, in the front yard guided by a chilton manual and about age 14 or 15. I learned to survey (transit and chain) when I was about 12 and also turned angles using the vernier (degrees/minutes/seconds) by the time I was 14. School was a breeze as I had much practical experience and I busted butt my entire career so I could retire by age 50. I approached life by taking discarded, busted things and making them whole and complete. Everything is owned (including 2 homes outright), grow a lot of our own food, and help others when I feel like it (no charge).
It really does not matter where I live (California) my family was from all over. I'm in a very rural place, a couple hours from the coast, major cities, great fishing/hunting, and lots of other great things to do. Heck I might go Canoeing tomorrow as the local health official allowed my request for hand or foot operated watercraft (no motorboats or sail boats though).
Again, we're being put into box a, or b, or if x, then y. It's good everyone does not think like each other, for we would be lemmings; everyone heading for the cliff. Let's continue thought provoking exchange, there is more than one way to skin a cat, and there is a lot about this pandemic that is unknown. Time will tell, be open to others thoughts, one does not have to adopt them. For civility sake let's keep the personal attacks out.

Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: MadMopars] #2771205
05/04/20 08:03 PM
05/04/20 08:03 PM
Jefferson State
S
srt Offline
ESYC
srt  Offline
ESYC
S

Jefferson State
The latest projections are looking grim.
Link -> IHME
The Model the White House often uses for projections has been modified to reflect unwinding the social distancing measures.
Link -> Update parameters
We passed the first estimate, and numbers of ill and dead are projected to increase with over 130k (est.) dead by mid summer.

Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: srt] #2771211
05/04/20 08:12 PM
05/04/20 08:12 PM
Tucson, AZ
Ramrod39 Offline
My New Title
Ramrod39  Offline
My New Title

Tucson, AZ
Originally Posted by srt
Originally Posted by moparx
i never received $1200.00.
beer

nor did my wife or I beer

Us neither.

Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: 360view] #2771221
05/04/20 08:35 PM
05/04/20 08:35 PM
USA
360view Offline
Moparts resident spammer
360view  Offline
Moparts resident spammer

USA
Dutch discover human antibody that works against COVID-19 virus and SARS virus:

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-05-discovery-antibody-blocks-infection-sars-cov-.html

Sample quote

“Using this collection of SARS-CoV antibodies, we identified an antibody that also neutralizes infection of SARS-CoV-2 in cultured cells. Such a neutralizing antibody has potential to alter the course of infection in the infected host, support virus clearance or protect an uninfected individual that is exposed to the virus."

Dr. Bosch noted that the antibody binds to a domain that is conserved in both SARS-CoV and SARS-CoV-2, explaining its ability to neutralize both viruses. "This cross-neutralizing feature of the antibody is very interesting and suggests it may have potential in mitigation of diseases caused by future-emerging related coronaviruses."

"This discovery provides a strong foundation for additional research to characterize this antibody and begin development as a potential COVID-19 treatment,"
said Frank Grosveld, Ph.D. co-lead author on the study, Academy Professor of Cell Biology, Erasmus Medical Center, Rotterdam and Founding Chief Scientific Officer at Harbour BioMed.
"The antibody used in this work is 'fully human," allowing development to proceed more rapidly and reducing the potential for immune-related side effects."
End quote

Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: 360view] #2771222
05/04/20 08:38 PM
05/04/20 08:38 PM
USA
360view Offline
Moparts resident spammer
360view  Offline
Moparts resident spammer

USA
https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-05-strategy-limit-covid-.html

Sample quote

The researchers found that age-specific shelter in place policies may be just as effective as population-wide shelter in place policies—as long as everyone not sheltering in place also practices safe physical distancing.

"We found that rather than put the burden of sheltering in place on society as a whole, if some percentage of a specific age group were to stay home and everyone else practice physical distancing, the epidemic could be mitigated until a vaccine is developed," said Milind Tambe, the Gordon McKay Professor of Computer Science at SEAS and co-senior author of the study.
End quote

Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: pittsburghracer] #2771225
05/04/20 08:46 PM
05/04/20 08:46 PM
Phoenix, AZ
Jjs72D Offline
Deep in the closet
Jjs72D  Offline
Deep in the closet

Phoenix, AZ

. People are losing their home, businesses, lives, friends, family, life savings, etc, etc over this and you don't want to pursue the people responsible. Well guess what, I DO, and I want our Country to go after them hard to find out how and why this started. That way we can learn from it just like we already learned about WHO. What a joke that outfit has become. We also learned we have to bring manufacturing back HOME again so we are better prepared for the next ACCIDENT. All while you stay in your "little safe spot". What a joke.

Thank you. What kind of pacifist crap is all that? To let the perpetrators get away without severe repercussions is as good as permission to do it over and over. You cannot let behavior like this go unpunished.

Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: BIGGERED] #2771226
05/04/20 08:53 PM
05/04/20 08:53 PM
Phoenix, AZ
Jjs72D Offline
Deep in the closet
Jjs72D  Offline
Deep in the closet

Phoenix, AZ
Originally Posted by BIGGERED

There is much here to dissect but consider the following.

-Double digits of Americans polled believe we created the virus!

-I've had my "essential" industrial business open for the whole duration. Sales are down at least 80%. If I owned a restaurant I would anticipate a similar drop once they reopen. You wont catch me at the barber in 2020. Haven't worn a pony tail in 25 years but its back.

-We could have reacted faster as a nation but chose not to. You decide why.

-In terms of manufacturing coming back. We all would love to see that. Pre-covid we did not have enough workers available for this to happen.

Thank you
Kevin

Strongly disagree.
Double digits....Sure, you can find 10% of the population to admit they think Elvis is still alive or that the Virgin Mary appeared in a smoke stain on the wall. it proves nothing
Barber.....Dangerous ? Maybe if you are 89 years old, obese and can't breathe.
Reacted faster? No. Just plain no.
Manufacturing jobs will be filled when we quit preaching to the youth that Everyone needs a college education.and also quit giving handouts to the able bodied that can work.

Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: srt] #2771232
05/04/20 09:10 PM
05/04/20 09:10 PM
Fulton County, PA
C
CMcAllister Offline
Mr. Helpful
CMcAllister  Offline
Mr. Helpful
C

Fulton County, PA
Originally Posted by srt
I agree some Engineers are book savvy and then there are others that can think independently.
Some Engineers brought us interesting and long used "things". I've never met an Engineer that did not feel improvements to their design.was not the highest form of flattery. Their idea was good enough to be accepted and improved.
Before I was an Engineer, at six years old took apart and got running a tecumseh engine on our family lawn mower. It was blown (head gasket) and needed bearings and rings. A neighbor told me what to do and I ran back and forth and did as he described. That started a series of rebuilding all sorts of junk I dragged home from the dump and sold for money. I learned to rebuild car motors, by myself, in the front yard guided by a chilton manual and about age 14 or 15. I learned to survey (transit and chain) when I was about 12 and also turned angles using the vernier (degrees/minutes/seconds) by the time I was 14. School was a breeze as I had much practical experience and I busted butt my entire career so I could retire by age 50. I approached life by taking discarded, busted things and making them whole and complete. Everything is owned (including 2 homes outright), grow a lot of our own food, and help others when I feel like it (no charge).
It really does not matter where I live (California) my family was from all over. I'm in a very rural place, a couple hours from the coast, major cities, great fishing/hunting, and lots of other great things to do. Heck I might go Canoeing tomorrow as the local health official allowed my request for hand or foot operated watercraft (no motorboats or sail boats though).
Again, we're being put into box a, or b, or if x, then y. It's good everyone does not think like each other, for we would be lemmings; everyone heading for the cliff. Let's continue thought provoking exchange, there is more than one way to skin a cat, and there is a lot about this pandemic that is unknown. Time will tell, be open to others thoughts, one does not have to adopt them. For civility sake let's keep the personal attacks out.

That's how most of us got started. Tearing apart lawnmowers and mini-bikes. Some were better at putting them back together than others. Wasn't picking on you personally, but if you ever worked for GM or Chrysler years ago, I may have made your ears burn a few times.

These days I save the personal attacks for politicians and the Chicoms.

Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: Jjs72D] #2771258
05/04/20 10:33 PM
05/04/20 10:33 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
Originally Posted by Jjs72D
Manufacturing jobs will be filled when we quit preaching to the youth that Everyone needs a college education.and also quit giving handouts to the able bodied that can work.

1. Nobody here is "preaching", those are your words.
2. Nobody can make much of case that getting a college education is almost universally not a life time advantage, personally and societal.
3. "needs" is again your word
4. Everybody is not College material, its not directly related to ones basic intelligence as much as their personal mindset/demeanor/gumption ( my words)
5. The real problem IMO, those that cannot afford college, that might greatly benefit from it, are capable of handling it, can't achieve it, and society pays a hidden cost for that shortfall.

A. "Handouts" are often in the eye of the beholder, this is a charitable nation for centuries, to those in true need, corporate hand outs do blur the lines, and because there are those that always will abuse any system, I am still not willing to turn my back on those that are hurting because a few slip thru.

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: jcc] #2771259
05/04/20 10:40 PM
05/04/20 10:40 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
Heard today a Dr speaking on NPR.

I asked weeks ago here about the end stages of COVID about what part pneumonia of the lungs widely played in the fatalities, I asked why wasn't the common today's widely given two common pneumonia vaccines more widely promoted.

Gist of what the Dr said today, was this was a Viral Pneumonia vs the vaccine for a different bacterial pneumonia.

So Pneumonia is more a condition I gather rather then a specific disease. work

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: CMcAllister] #2771305
05/05/20 07:10 AM
05/05/20 07:10 AM
USA
360view Offline
Moparts resident spammer
360view  Offline
Moparts resident spammer

USA
Engineers are going be key to creating the instruments that discover new drugs and vaccines, and then key again to mass producing those drugs and vaccines.

While engineers use existing science to build things,
the “circle closed” long ago
and now engineers create the new instruments that are crucial to creating new science,
and so on and so on.

“Bean counter” managers have greatly hampered the engineers who work for the “Big 3” USA automakers.

The managers at foreign carmakers have more intelligently used engineering principles.
One example is the embrace of USA citizen Edward Deming’s ideas in Japan.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W._Edwards_Deming

That was not the first such “bean counter manager” problem in USA industry.
They also earlier rejected the very practical ideas of Fredrick Taylor...

https://oer.missouriwestern.edu/rsm424/chapter/frederick-taylors-scientific-management/

Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: 360view] #2771307
05/05/20 07:22 AM
05/05/20 07:22 AM
USA
360view Offline
Moparts resident spammer
360view  Offline
Moparts resident spammer

USA

Page 63 of 136 1 2 61 62 63 64 65 135 136