05/03/20 08:13 AM
05/03/20 08:13 AM
MD
p d'ro Offline
pro stock
p d'ro  Offline
pro stock

MD
Also, I have 3 family members with int now. One in NYC has been in and out of the hospital for a month. Hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin did nothing for him. Finally got another antibiotic and infusion of Actemra, a biologic anti-immune drug. This helped big time. Finally home with oxygen tank and will make it. Step father diagnosed Wednesday. Very healthy in mid 70s but worried as this age bracket has a 8-12% death rate after infection and it is assumed now my mom will get it. Just assume everyone has it. If you get the overreaction of the immune system with massive clotting it is over. I may start a baby aspirin a day prophylaxis. Both of the above were put on blood thinners but if you have history of stroke dont do it without consulting your doctor.

Re: My daughters PA friend went to NY & caught CORONA [Re: 71TA] #2770662
05/03/20 08:43 AM
05/03/20 08:43 AM
Home
S
SRT6776 Offline
I hate internal combustion engines!
SRT6776  Offline
I hate internal combustion engines!
S

Home
Textbook drama queen

Re: My daughters PA friend went to NY & caught CORONA [Re: SRT6776] #2770820
05/03/20 03:41 PM
05/03/20 03:41 PM
Fulton County, PA
C
CMcAllister Offline
Mr. Helpful
CMcAllister  Offline
Mr. Helpful
C

Fulton County, PA
3 little kids?

If I had 3 little kids, I wouldn't leave them to go to New York to sight see, let alone do something even more hazardous.

If the results don't match the theory, change the theory.
Re: My daughters PA friend went to NY & caught CORONA [Re: Pale_Roader] #2770824
05/03/20 03:57 PM
05/03/20 03:57 PM
northwest USA
N
NANKET Offline
master
NANKET  Offline
master
N

northwest USA
Originally Posted by Pale_Roader

Hey... while the vast majority ov us are in no danger... this thing is not to be underestimated. I have a friend, ex-fighter, now lifter, and this guy's about as tough as they [censored] get. He and his (not so tough) wife were self-quarantining very early on, because she has immune-system issues. Well, they both got it somehow. She had a couple days ov so-so coughing... then was fine. He... was laid clean out... for 4 full days. Could barely breathe, eat, move... you name it. They got through it, but wow. It NUKED this guy. He's 36 and in incredible health.

The girl i train knows a 30yr old woman from NJ (i think) who just died. Healthy, happy, 30 year old girl, a very strong competitive powerlifter. Her whole family caught it, her dad died, then so did she. Granted, she was 5'4" 300lbs... but still.

The fearmachine is WAY off the rez on this one... but personal accountability and common sense still go a long way.

Adults who engage in these heavy workout regimens often over do it and consequently are unknowingly suppressing their immune systems. While they are very strong and can lift a massive weight and look huge, they are not really in good “health” at all.

Last edited by NANKET; 05/03/20 04:08 PM.
Re: My daughters PA friend went to NY & caught CORONA [Re: NANKET] #2770989
05/04/20 03:59 AM
05/04/20 03:59 AM
the frozen wastes...
Pale_Roader Offline
Swears too much
Pale_Roader  Offline
Swears too much

the frozen wastes...
Originally Posted by NANKET

Hey... while the vast majority ov us are in no danger... this thing is not to be underestimated. I have a friend, ex-fighter, now lifter, and this guy's about as tough as they [censored] get. He and his (not so tough) wife were self-quarantining very early on, because she has immune-system issues. Well, they both got it somehow. She had a couple days ov so-so coughing... then was fine. He... was laid clean out... for 4 full days. Could barely breathe, eat, move... you name it. They got through it, but wow. It NUKED this guy. He's 36 and in incredible health.

The girl i train knows a 30yr old woman from NJ (i think) who just died. Healthy, happy, 30 year old girl, a very strong competitive powerlifter. Her whole family caught it, her dad died, then so did she. Granted, she was 5'4" 300lbs... but still.

The fearmachine is WAY off the rez on this one... but personal accountability and common sense still go a long way.

Adults who engage in these heavy workout regimens often over do it and consequently are unknowingly suppressing their immune systems. While they are very strong and can lift a massive weight and look huge, they are not really in good “health” at all.

100% wrong. Heavy weight training, done within reason, is absolutely beneficial for the immune system, in many ways. Yes, it is possible she was one ov the VERY few that push it too far, but most modern, intelligent lifters know their limits. I live in this world. Have for 16 years now. Heavy lifters are healthy people, generally. Now... that one particular sport; powerlifting, and even bodybuilding (done at a competitive level) have other issues. Powerlifting can have diet issues, and this girl obviously was one ov those. You cant paint us with the same brush. She died, likely because she was way overweight. I am international elite level, and yeah... that means i'm one ov those few that push well beyond safe limits... and my immune system is absurdly strong. Being elite at ANY sport or physical endeavor goes well beyond 'safe' limits. Its a powerful irony yes, but some true elite athletes are not as healthy as most would think they are. Powerlifting just happens to be one ov those sports where you can be disgustingly fat and out ov shape and still win world medals. As a lifter and very successful coach i absolutely do not agree with this approach. Even my current champion, also a superheavyweight lifter, is very 'small' for her size, and in great cardiovascular shape, and extremely mobile and athletic.... even at 5'4" and 250lbs (female). She works in a dentist's office... around open mouths all week long... and she rarely gets sick.

Heavy lifting (the heavier the better) cures FAR more problems than it causes. But like anything else... do it intelligently.

Re: My daughters PA friend went to NY & caught CORONA [Re: Pale_Roader] #2771055
05/04/20 11:15 AM
05/04/20 11:15 AM
northwest USA
N
NANKET Offline
master
NANKET  Offline
master
N

northwest USA

100% wrong. Heavy weight training, done within reason, is absolutely beneficial for the immune system, in many ways. Yes, it is possible she was one ov the VERY few that push it too far, but most modern, intelligent lifters know their limits. I live in this world. Have for 16 years now. Heavy lifters are healthy people, generally. Now... that one particular sport; powerlifting, and even bodybuilding (done at a competitive level) have other issues. Powerlifting can have diet issues, and this girl obviously was one ov those. You cant paint us with the same brush. She died, likely because she was way overweight. I am international elite level, and yeah... that means i'm one ov those few that push well beyond safe limits... and my immune system is absurdly strong. Being elite at ANY sport or physical endeavor goes well beyond 'safe' limits. Its a powerful irony yes, but some true elite athletes are not as healthy as most would think they are. Powerlifting just happens to be one ov those sports where you can be disgustingly fat and out ov shape and still win world medals. As a lifter and very successful coach i absolutely do not agree with this approach. Even my current champion, also a superheavyweight lifter, is very 'small' for her size, and in great cardiovascular shape, and extremely mobile and athletic.... even at 5'4" and 250lbs (female). She works in a dentist's office... around open mouths all week long... and she rarely gets sick.

Heavy lifting (the heavier the better) cures FAR more problems than it causes. But like anything else... do it intelligently.

About 14 of these people do it within reason, others are off the charts overkill. How many big and buff weight lifters live To 60-70-80-90-100? How many drop dead of heart problems? How many take performance enhancing drugs or diet/supplement regimens that undermine good health. Be honest. You just admitted you go to far with your activities. That’s how you get to be the best by pushing it. If it was easy we all would be there. You can’t have it both ways.

Re: My daughters PA friend went to NY & caught CORONA [Re: NANKET] #2771103
05/04/20 02:11 PM
05/04/20 02:11 PM
Long Island, NY
70plymA34 Offline
super stock
70plymA34  Offline
super stock

Long Island, NY
My daughter is just graduating as a PA. Her PA friend (who I introduced my daughter to, was the daughter of a Mopar friend) went to NY help (though they are paying her $13,000/wk for 3 weeks and free 1st class hotel room & board so that's a pretty strong motivation). After being there for a week she got corona. She's 28, healthy, strong willed, married, 3 young ones (under 5) at home. Seems to me as an old person foolish. $39,000 is a bunch of money but not if you lose your life.

Here's a recent update. Interesting. Hope she gets over it. Not sure how/if she's compensated now that shes sick and how long they will "put her up". A month? Her gig was only for 3 weeks. Will it be on her dime in a few days cause she's been there 18 days according to this last text.

**Much thanks to your daughters friend that came here to NY to help during this horrible time. ** I see EMS crews from all over the US in NYC and most that I speak with wish to sign on to do more time here.** Some that i have spoken too work in other states that have been hit hard by this but yet come to NYC's 5 Boroughs to help with the crazy 911 call volume.

My respect and dear thanks to all that have helped. It won't be forgotten.

Last edited by 70plymA34; 05/04/20 02:13 PM.

Super Commando
Re: My daughters PA friend went to NY & caught CORONA [Re: 70plymA34] #2771169
05/04/20 06:21 PM
05/04/20 06:21 PM
Warren, MI
71TA Offline OP
I Live Here
71TA  Offline OP
I Live Here

Warren, MI
She was sent home, from NY to MI within the past couple days. Her husband had to drive her all the way back to MI. She had to goto the ER as soon as she got back and I'm just told she was transported to another hospital for an experimental treatment. Plasma with antibodies and one other med that will leaver her immuno-compromised for 6 weeks.

www.DetroitMuscleTechnologies.com Mopar body and heater box restoration gaskets
Re: My daughters PA friend went to NY & caught CORONA [Re: 71TA] #2771445
05/05/20 02:00 PM
05/05/20 02:00 PM
(Central) PA
Runner2go Offline
I Live Here
Runner2go  Offline
I Live Here

(Central) PA
Originally Posted by 71TA
She was sent home, from NY to MI within the past couple days. Her husband had to drive her all the way back to MI. She had to goto the ER as soon as she got back and I'm just told she was transported to another hospital for an experimental treatment. Plasma with antibodies and one other med that will leaver her immuno-compromised for 6 weeks.

Hopefully the treatment works quickly. luck

Re: My daughters PA friend went to NY & caught CORONA [Re: NANKET] #2771472
05/05/20 03:47 PM
05/05/20 03:47 PM
Downtown Roebuck Ont
Twostick Offline
Still wishing...
Twostick  Offline
Still wishing...

Downtown Roebuck Ont

About 14 of these people do it within reason, others are off the charts overkill. How many big and buff weight lifters live To 60-70-80-90-100? How many drop dead of heart problems? How many take performance enhancing drugs or diet/supplement regimens that undermine good health. Be honest. You just admitted you go to far with your activities. That’s how you get to be the best by pushing it. If it was easy we all would be there. You can’t have it both ways.

A guy local to me was very nearly done in with it. Body builder and so the story goes, used steroids to get the results he was looking for when he was really into it. Apparently steroids, lungs and pneumonia are a bad combination and will put an otherwise healthy person capable of easily surviving C19 right to the top of the risk list. He was 3 weeks on a ventilator. Fortunately he's home now as close to good as new as can be expected under the circumstances.

Kevin

Re: My daughters PA friend went to NY & caught CORONA [Re: NANKET] #2771690
05/06/20 03:50 AM
05/06/20 03:50 AM
the frozen wastes...
Pale_Roader Offline
Swears too much
Pale_Roader  Offline
Swears too much

the frozen wastes...

No, many are 'serious', but not fanatical about it. 'Serious' is good. I go too far yes, but i was never stupid about it, and i have legitimate world records. Well, i had three (out ov four), down to one now... as it goes. That is... best on the planet. I knew my sacrifices, i happily made them. I'm still healthier than pretty much anyone my age anywhere, and i pass for 10 years younger. I'd be even healthier, but i'm poor, and thus, have to eat a lot ov cheap food... which is not good. That has zero to do with lifting. The sport i'm doing now is more athletic, and i dont have to be as big, which i like. And yeah... even at 47, i'm going to push to absolute limit in this one too.

I think what you are thinking ov is bodybuilding. Or perhaps those super 'hardcore' powerlifters (that even the rest ov powerlifters make fun ov). NOW... you are getting into drug culture... and the second you cross that line, the slippery slope hits 90% ov guys pretty hard. Even the (ACTUAL) drug-free bodybuilders (all 14 ov them), damage themselves with brutal diets, severe nutritional deficiencies, and dangerous dehydration practices. When they're up on stage looking like the most amazing physical specimens possible, they are about the weakest human beings on the plant. A cough would knock them over. These are not who i'm on about. There is nothing healthy about competitive bodybuilding... on any level. But again, thats not what i'm talking about.

Go to a Masters (40+) powerlifting or Olympic lifting event. Everyone there looks (and acts) 10 years younger than they are. Heavy barbell lifting is absolutely the fountain ov youth... done properly. Saying heavy lifting is detrimental to health is like saying Mopars are dangerous to the public, because some rich Asian kids in clapped out Hondas and Toyotas rat-raced through the cities and killed some pedestrians.

Page 2 of 2 1 2