05/02/20 01:20 AM
05/02/20 01:20 AM
N.E. OHIO, USA
A12 Online content
Too Many Posts
A12  Online Content
Too Many Posts

N.E. OHIO, USA
Probably the best and only reason to have a vinyl roof, especially if your car is a hood hinges delete car. LOH not LOL wink

Photo taken with a Sony mavica mvc fd88 digital floppy disc camera (remember those) at the Walter P Chrysler Museum decades ago ...... blush

MVC-003SCHRYMUSEA12.jpg
Re: Question: Value placed on vinyl top [Re: A12] #2770423
05/02/20 12:28 PM
05/02/20 12:28 PM
W. Kentucky
justinp61 Offline
I Live Here
justinp61  Offline
I Live Here

W. Kentucky
IMHO, green cars need a vinyl top, black preferably. Too much green is not a good thing.

Yes, I own a green car. biggrin

Dart 3.JPG
Re: Question: Value placed on vinyl top [Re: justinp61] #2770630
05/03/20 02:38 AM
05/03/20 02:38 AM
the frozen wastes...
Pale_Roader Offline
Swears too much
Pale_Roader  Offline
Swears too much

the frozen wastes...
This thread makes me sad.

Vinyl is the worst. Its ugly, its heavier than not having it, it adds complexity (ie: things that can go wrong), its a complicated process to add one if you never had it (all those little rivets, holes, finding good chrome), it accelerates rust... and being a Mopar, you dont need ANYTHING that helps rust. They break up a nice, simple looking muscle car, and from what i've learned, they were originally offered as a 'poor man's ragtop'... which to me is just weak. Thats kinda like adding Hemi billboards to your 318 car. I mean seriously... who came up with this idea? 'Hey, i know... lets glue a bunch ov FABRIC to this cool looking car... AND halve its lifespan by doing it!'

Dont do it man.

Re: Question: Value placed on vinyl top [Re: Pale_Roader] #2770634
05/03/20 05:01 AM
05/03/20 05:01 AM
N.E. OHIO, USA
A12 Online content
Too Many Posts
A12  Online Content
Too Many Posts

N.E. OHIO, USA
Originally Posted by Pale_Roader

Vinyl is the worst. Its ugly, its heavier than not having it, it adds complexity (ie: things that can go wrong), its a complicated process to add one if you never had it (all those little rivets, holes, finding good chrome), it accelerates rust... and being a Mopar, you dont need ANYTHING that helps rust. They break up a nice, simple looking muscle car, and from what i've learned, they were originally offered as a 'poor man's ragtop'... which to me is just weak. Thats kinda like adding Hemi billboards to your 318 car. I mean seriously... who came up with this idea? 'Hey, i know... lets glue a bunch ov FABRIC to this cool looking car... AND halve its lifespan by doing it!'

Dont do it man.

Hey don't sugar coat it and stop beating around the bush, just come out and say how you really feel about vinyl roofs laugh2

Kind of share some of the same feelings about a vinyl roof and never gave it a thought of ever ordering my '69 Road Runner (in ;69) with one, or my actual first choice a 383 Dart GTS (or the M-code 440 Dart GTS if I could have found a dealer that knew anything about it frown ) with one either. Now I'm stuck with three '69 440 cars all with vinyl roofs, go figure? One Y4 gold (A12 RR <over there), one Y2 yellow (GTX above) and one F8 green M-code Dart GTS, all with black vinyl roofs. My leave it off of the Dart, that will surely make it a low key car as it's a stripe delete GTS.

Re: Question: Value placed on vinyl top [Re: Pale_Roader] #2770635
05/03/20 05:09 AM
05/03/20 05:09 AM
N.E. OHIO, USA
A12 Online content
Too Many Posts
A12  Online Content
Too Many Posts

N.E. OHIO, USA

Dont do it man.

You got it right Pale_Roader up https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vinyl_roof

I guess that puts it in the same league as non-functional hood and side scoops on muscle cars or any vehicle for that matter eh?

Re: Question: Value placed on vinyl top [Re: justinp61] #2770737
05/03/20 11:47 AM
05/03/20 11:47 AM
northwest USA
N
NANKET Offline
master
NANKET  Offline
master
N

northwest USA
To answer the question on value. NEGATIVE $5000. If you need color to break it up then paint the roof, or choose a different color!

Re: Question: Value placed on vinyl top [Re: NANKET] #2770990
05/04/20 04:03 AM
05/04/20 04:03 AM
the frozen wastes...
Pale_Roader Offline
Swears too much
Pale_Roader  Offline
Swears too much

the frozen wastes...
Originally Posted by NANKET
To answer the question on value. NEGATIVE $5000. If you need color to break it up then paint the roof, or choose a different color!

Haha yup. If i was in the market for a shiny new muscle car and the otherwise perfect one came with vinyl, i'd have to factor in a roof repaint and bodywork into the price...

Re: Question: Value placed on vinyl top [Re: Pale_Roader] #2771054
05/04/20 11:14 AM
05/04/20 11:14 AM
N.E. OHIO, USA
A12 Online content
Too Many Posts
A12  Online Content
Too Many Posts

N.E. OHIO, USA

Haha yup. If i was in the market for a shiny new muscle car and the otherwise perfect one came with vinyl, i'd have to factor in a roof repaint and bodywork into the price...

Wondering if either of you were old enough to buy (order) a new muscle car in the '60's or early '70's or "back in the day" as some call it?

Re: Question: Value placed on vinyl top [Re: A12] #2771058
05/04/20 11:22 AM
05/04/20 11:22 AM
northwest USA
N
NANKET Offline
master
NANKET  Offline
master
N

northwest USA
Originally Posted by A12

Wondering if either of you were old enough to buy (order) a new muscle car in the '60's or early '70's or "back in the day" as some call it?

Nope, but I was old enough to see what was going on. And yes, way to many cars had vinyl tops! I had to clean my dads all the time. Or sure the add to the color combo but what a rust making pain in the backside.

Re: Question: Value placed on vinyl top [Re: NANKET] #2771062
05/04/20 11:38 AM
05/04/20 11:38 AM
Eagle, Idaho
Neil Offline
The Doctor is in.
Neil  Offline
The Doctor is in.

Eagle, Idaho
Most Mopars today that are worth more than two nickels live in a garage and don't get exposed to water other than an occasional wash job. If the car has been repainted under the vinyl top I highly doubt rust would ever be an issue.

Before these cars became worth anything people let them sit outside all the time in the elements. With nothing more than an accidental dusting of red oxide primer and paint overspray on the roof skin from the factory it's easy to see how many of them ended up with holes in the roof.

Re: Question: Value placed on vinyl top [Re: Neil] #2771070
05/04/20 11:54 AM
05/04/20 11:54 AM
north of coder
moparx Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"
moparx  Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"

north of coder
i have owned my charger since 1970, and it has lived almost entirely inside it's whole life.
however, there are a couple bubbles in the top next to the windshield trim i'm sure are caused by rust.
the top is also dried out and cracked.
as i will never restore this car, the next caretaker will have to decide what to do about this issue.
beer

Re: Question: Value placed on vinyl top [Re: moparx] #2771136
05/04/20 04:31 PM
05/04/20 04:31 PM
People's Republic of Kali
70runner Offline
super stock
70runner  Offline
super stock

People's Republic of Kali
Survivor 69RT being trailered (by me) from 1st owner to 2nd owner in 2010. The RT was always garaged in SOCAL, so the vinyl top has 40yrs of somewhat natural aging.

[Linked Image]

2nd owner found a stash of NOS vinyl somewhere in Michigan and had the top redone in 2012. Here's the RT with it's 3rd and current owner (my daughter) in 2015.

[Linked Image]

Re: Question: Value placed on vinyl top [Re: Pale_Roader] #2771441
05/05/20 01:52 PM
05/05/20 01:52 PM
N.E. OHIO, USA
A12 Online content
Too Many Posts
A12  Online Content
Too Many Posts

N.E. OHIO, USA

You mean I can make my GTX and A12 Runner worth a minimums of $5,000 more just by removing the vinyl roofs..........sold, I mean the GTX for sure would look great without the vinyl roof rolleyes and I would rather put the Lift-Off-Hood on a painted surface to add some character to the roof. An added benefit would be the increase in top speed with less air drag from the textured vinyl. rolleyes rolleyes

I see no loss or gain with vinyl roofs, comes down to first, owner's choice, and then MAYBE color or trim or as in an A12 a place to put the hood at the gas station to check the oil or race track to tune or cool down the motor more quickly.......looked at NADA, Hagerty's and KBB and couldn't find a value deduction or value addition for vinyl roof. Purely a personal choice.......and no one "back in the day" was worried about the roof rusting with or without a vinyl roof, shoot my lower quarter panels and wheel well lips started to go within three or four years from the darn salted roadways in southwestern Pennsylvania way before any other area of the Road Runner. My 50 year old A12 RR with a vinyl roof has a little rust push at the C-pillar where the lead is for the full quarter panel. $5,000 less value is also a personal opinion.

BTW IMO that white Charger above would look terrible without the vinyl roof........looks great to me up........and the owner too, if I can say that up up

DSC04678rshpsrs_001.jpgA12 RR Y4 my A12 found on internet images.png
Re: Question: Value placed on vinyl top [Re: A12] #2771691
05/06/20 03:59 AM
05/06/20 03:59 AM
the frozen wastes...
Pale_Roader Offline
Swears too much
Pale_Roader  Offline
Swears too much

the frozen wastes...
Originally Posted by A12

You mean I can make my GTX and A12 Runner worth a minimums of $5,000 more just by removing the vinyl roofs..........sold, I mean the GTX for sure would look great without the vinyl roof rolleyes and I would rather put the Lift-Off-Hood on a painted surface to add some character to the roof. An added benefit would be the increase in top speed with less air drag from the textured vinyl. rolleyes rolleyes

I see no loss or gain with vinyl roofs, comes down to first, owner's choice, and then MAYBE color or trim or as in an A12 a place to put the hood at the gas station to check the oil or race track to tune or cool down the motor more quickly.......looked at NADA, Hagerty's and KBB and couldn't find a value deduction or value addition for vinyl roof. Purely a personal choice.......and no one "back in the day" was worried about the roof rusting with or without a vinyl roof, shoot my lower quarter panels and wheel well lips started to go within three or four years from the darn salted roadways in southwestern Pennsylvania way before any other area of the Road Runner. My 50 year old A12 RR with a vinyl roof has a little rust push at the C-pillar where the lead is for the full quarter panel. $5,000 less value is also a personal opinion.

BTW IMO that white Charger above would look terrible without the vinyl roof........looks great to me up........and the owner too, if I can say that up up

I do believe that both ov us meant OUR value. I've never seen a + / - placed on vinyl roof in any value calculator. I dont think it matters. If anything... collectors like options... vinyl is yet another option. If anything, it adds value... i mean, in a collector sense. We meant... that buying a nice car with vinyl adds $5000 to OUR cost... because we'll be paying to remove it.

BUT... i think you should peel that sh!te off all the same... you know... just cuz... A12's are sexxxxxxxxxy beasts...

Re: Question: Value placed on vinyl top [Re: A12] #2771692
05/06/20 04:02 AM
05/06/20 04:02 AM
the frozen wastes...
Pale_Roader Offline
Swears too much
Pale_Roader  Offline
Swears too much

the frozen wastes...
Originally Posted by A12

Not sure why that would matter... but SADLY... nope. Well, maybe i shouldn't say sadly... because if i was, then i'd not be sitting here on Moparts kicking myself for the umteenth decade for selling my 63 Fuelie Split Window and my 71 Hemicuda for $5000 in the 80's... (because you KNOW i bloody would have...). Heh... i'm spared that hell anyways...

Page 2 of 2 1 2