T
TJP Online content
I Live Here
TJP  Online Content
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Originally Posted by DaveRS23
There really is not enough reliable data to truly know just where we are in this thing. Then there are those that downplay the risk and there are those that inflate the risk depending on their agenda.

I want to again be clear here, my question is; does the science and data justify the response? And the truth of the matter is that we just don't know. There is not enough information nor is much of that information reliable.

Pretty much hits the nail square on the head IMO twocents popcorn

Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: 360view] #2770750
05/03/20 12:09 PM
05/03/20 12:09 PM
Willow Grove PA
71sat440 Offline
I Live Here
71sat440  Offline
I Live Here

Willow Grove PA
How many people on Moparts think they have had it?

I think I had it and so do most of my coworkers.

We're in one of the worst hit areas of PA and were all sick end of Jan-beginning of Feb.

Assuming I had it and not just a flu, I got hit with diarrhea first but that was only a couple hour thing and was over quick. I slept most of the first 2 days.

No one thought Corona was in PA at that point and I went to work, it was my co workers that told me to go home after half a day, they could tell I wasn't right just by looking at me.

Had headaches, some pain behind my eyes, trouble breathing but to be honest I have allergies and had bad enough coughs for years to the point sometimes its hard to do a few sentences without coughing, so I wouldn't even notice if that was a symptom.

Had fatigue for a few days, didin't feel right for about two weeks.

I'm 46 and about 70lbs over weight (I'm 240)

Now before I came down with that sickness, literally everyone in the store was sick, and I had been sick about a month to 6 weeks earlier.

Not counting out I could have gotten the flu twice, though the first one was much more mild with no stomach issues or headaches or eye pain.

Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: TJP] #2770761
05/03/20 12:45 PM
05/03/20 12:45 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
Originally Posted by TJP
There really is not enough reliable data to truly know just where we are in this thing. Then there are those that downplay the risk and there are those that inflate the risk depending on their agenda.

I want to again be clear here, my question is; does the science and data justify the response? And the truth of the matter is that we just don't know. There is not enough information nor is much of that information reliable.

A little back pedaling is what in my opinion, I see of past claims.

But then nobody should forget, a broken clock that still has two hands, is still correct twice a day, meaning if you hear enough different "opinions", chances are good that at least one of them will be proven correct.

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: 71sat440] #2770775
05/03/20 01:08 PM
05/03/20 01:08 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
For historical accuracy, here are the legit "Pre Official Coronavirus threads" now locked:

COVID-19 hits older men, smokers harder https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/2747563/1.html 2/28/20

5 reasons not to panic over COVID-19 https://board.moparts.org/ubbthread...-to-panic-over-covid-19.html#Post2747834 2/29/20

Virus and Parts https://board.moparts.org/ubbthread...8117/re-virus-and-parts.html#Post2748117 3/01/20

WWYD? Covid-19 related https://board.moparts.org/ubbthread...e-wwyd-covid-19-related.html#Post2751477 3/12/20

France advice: No Motrin or NSAID if COVID19 suspected
https://board.moparts.org/ubbthread...id-if-covid19-suspected.html#Post2752310 3/15/20

The stores are out of toilet paper https://board.moparts.org/ubbthread...mber/2770750/what/showflat/fpart/18.html 3/13/20

Share your COVID hunker down To do List https://board.moparts.org/ubbthread...mber/2770750/what/showflat/fpart/18.html 3/15/20

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: DaveRS23] #2770792
05/03/20 02:01 PM
05/03/20 02:01 PM
Jefferson State
S
srt Offline
ESYC
srt  Offline
ESYC
S

Jefferson State
....... my question is; does the science and data justify the response? And the truth of the matter is that we just don't know. There is not enough information nor is much of that information reliable.....

Thus the vagueness of posts. How reliable is the data and how timely is the data?
As soon as influences outside science are injected into the process of evaluation the statistical outcome is swayed.
My question is: why is the data being influenced?
The outcome will be what it is. The precise (as possible) data needs full disclosure for accuracy to prevail. Transparency from all sources will help to that end.
I know (from the available reports) that even with California's efforts a new spike (in moving average) of new dx and deaths is occuring.

Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: DaveRS23] #2770794
05/03/20 02:03 PM
05/03/20 02:03 PM
Tucson, AZ
Ramrod39 Offline
My New Title
Ramrod39  Offline
My New Title

Tucson, AZ
It seems to me that everyone is making essentially the same argument. Well, almost everyone. And that is that there really is not enough reliable data to truly know just where we are in this thing. Then there are those that downplay the risk and there are those that inflate the risk depending on their agenda.

My 91 year old father is in a nursing home. I haven't seen him in over a month because the nursing home is under lock down. That is an unfortunate but prudent step in this situation. Chicago may need something similar to the nursing home that my dad is in. But to shut down much of the activity in our rural area that has very little infection is an overreach.

The response to this or any other threat should be proportional and targeted. Using a sledge hammer for a gnat in many (not all) of these areas comes to mind. One thing that the data does show is that not all places have the same level of risk from this virus. And so the response should reflect that reality.

Well spoken.

Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: 71sat440] #2770822
05/03/20 03:55 PM
05/03/20 03:55 PM
Michigan
MarkZ Offline
Worthy
MarkZ  Offline
Worthy

Michigan
Originally Posted by 71sat440

I thought it could be a possibility as I had a bad flu sweep my house in February, but my wife, who is an RN, took a hospital provided anti-body test and the results came back negative. We're operating on the assumption nobody in the house has had it.

1987 Fifth Avenue - 512/518/D60
Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: MarkZ] #2770832
05/03/20 04:39 PM
05/03/20 04:39 PM
Tucson, AZ
Ramrod39 Offline
My New Title
Ramrod39  Offline
My New Title

Tucson, AZ
Originally Posted by MarkM
[quote=71sat440]How many people on Moparts think they have had it?

I am really curious to hear the answer to this one also. No one I know has had it...

Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: Ramrod39] #2770837
05/03/20 04:53 PM
05/03/20 04:53 PM
South San Francisco, Ca
70sixpkrt Offline
master
70sixpkrt  Offline
master

South San Francisco, Ca
Originally Posted by Ramrod39
Originally Posted by MarkM
[quote=71sat440]How many people on Moparts think they have had it?

I am really curious to hear the answer to this one also. No one I know has had it...

A good friend of mine was on the SF-Mexico-SF cruise in February. When she came home she was very sick. She took the test and was positive for Covid-19. She was the first person on that cruise to test positive. She said she felt like she was in Hell.

[img]http://www.imgur.com/hxlGUJt.gif[/img]
4-speed
3:54 Dana
13.01 @107.93 with street tires (not hooking up)
Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: 71sat440] #2770839
05/03/20 04:59 PM
05/03/20 04:59 PM
Rio Linda, CA
John_Kunkel Offline
Too Many Posts
John_Kunkel  Offline
Too Many Posts

Rio Linda, CA

Had a horrible dry cough for two weeks in February accompanied by a runny nose; think it was just a chest cold but............

The INTERNET, the MISinformation superhighway
Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: jcc] #2770870
05/03/20 06:17 PM
05/03/20 06:17 PM
Benton, IL.
D
DaveRS23 Offline
Special needs idiot
DaveRS23  Offline
Special needs idiot
D

Benton, IL.
Originally Posted by jcc
Originally Posted by TJP

A little back pedaling is what in my opinion, I see of past claims.

But then nobody should forget, a broken clock that still has two hands, is still correct twice a day, meaning if you hear enough different "opinions", chances are good that at least one of them will be proven correct.

Frankly, I am starting to wonder if you have a problem with comprehension. First, you don't share the information with us that gets you to your conclusions. And then when you do finally share one link, it is on the wrong subject and didn't support your assertion. And now this. My position all along has been that it is looking like more damage is being done with the response than was being done by the virus. That is for certain in more areas than not.

It's possible that there are a few specific places where shutting down the economy, locking people in their homes, and devastating individuals and businesses finances may be prudent. But in most of the United State of America that stuff is NOT SUPPORTED by direct, unassailable data. PERIOD! No matter what some politicians and the evening news (or even you) say.

Master, again and still
Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: DaveRS23] #2770876
05/03/20 06:22 PM
05/03/20 06:22 PM
md
M
mopars4ever Online content
I Live Here
mopars4ever  Online Content
I Live Here
M

md
Time to lock this thread IMO. Everything around here has to turn into a pissing match.

Last edited by mopars4ever; 05/03/20 06:23 PM.
Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: mopars4ever] #2770879
05/03/20 06:38 PM
05/03/20 06:38 PM
Phoenix, AZ
Jjs72D Offline
Deep in the closet
Jjs72D  Offline
Deep in the closet

Phoenix, AZ
Originally Posted by mopars4ever
Time to lock this thread IMO. Everything around here has to turn into a pissing match.

Don't like it? Move on then.
One side often wants to ban something they don't like while the others just avoid what they don't like and let the others choose for themselves to engage or not.

Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: Jjs72D] #2770919
05/03/20 08:34 PM
05/03/20 08:34 PM
Jefferson State
S
srt Offline
ESYC
srt  Offline
ESYC
S

Jefferson State
I agree! I hope it gets archived too, so that in a year or three we can update the thread with hopefully the actual statistics, the treatments that worked/didn't work and if a vaccine were made that could protect many from the virus or one of it's mutated versions.
It will additionally be interesting to see who's in charge, if we lost any members to covid, if we are working with our allies, if we are solvent, and what the total cost monetary and socially.

Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: 71sat440] #2770931
05/03/20 09:19 PM
05/03/20 09:19 PM
Rochester NY
J
Jer Offline
super stock
Jer  Offline
super stock
J

Rochester NY

I think I had it and so do most of my coworkers.

THIS ^^^^

My wife got a nasty bug in December, bad enough for her dr to order chest xrays and full blood work. Came back as NOT flu, but decided to treat the symptoms. A few antibiotics and she was cleared up in a few days. She was down for about a week and a half.

In late-December, I had a tickle in my throat, thought it odd for allergies, dry cough for 3 days, Christmas Day I slept 26 hours straight. My wife calls my dr who says he's had a lot of people with similar conditions, not the flu, but treated my flu-like symptoms (except the cough). Sent me a script and two days later I was fine. About a week total.

And most of us around here had that, or similar. My dr says what we now know as cv19 swept through this area in Dec and Jan, all the drs treated the symptoms, all recovered, and says the rest of this stuff going on is total political BS.

I tend to agree with him. We're WELL past 'the curve', and have been testing at the bottom of the curve....

Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: Jjs72D] #2770937
05/03/20 09:26 PM
05/03/20 09:26 PM
Gabba Gabba Hey! NYC
Diego (not Ted) Offline
Too Many Posts
Diego (not Ted)  Offline
Too Many Posts

Gabba Gabba Hey! NYC
Originally Posted by Jjs72D

One side often wants to ban something they don't like while the others just avoid what they don't like and let the others choose for themselves to engage or not.

Interesting how a pandemic appears to have become about us and then.

I wonder why is that? work

Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: Diego (not Ted)] #2770946
05/03/20 10:05 PM
05/03/20 10:05 PM
Fulton County, PA
C
CMcAllister Offline
Mr. Helpful
CMcAllister  Offline
Mr. Helpful
C

Fulton County, PA
Originally Posted by Diego (not Ted)
Originally Posted by Jjs72D

Interesting how a pandemic appears to have become about us and then.

I wonder why is that? work

Because there's two sides.

One side thinks we should sit home, wear masks and not do ANYTHING until next spring. No racing, vacations, concerts, friends over and NOTHING that requires you to be closer than 6' to anyone. And most of them are ready and willing to call the cops on their neighbors if they see any "violations".
These folks tend to be retired, independently wealthy or collecting unemployment (or some other government check) and sitting home enjoying the vacation. They could take the whole summer off, bills are paid so no problem. Probably aren't worried about going anywhere or doing anything else. They call this an "inconvenience" for the good of everyone. Probably think their mask is a fashion accessory by now.

Then there's the folks who work for themselves, own businesses, have investments - maybe they're a small business, a contractor, run a little Mom & Pop restaurant - or for some reason don't qualify for any relief or bailout money. If they are open under the radar, maybe they rely on other businesses who are shut down or people who are now broke to patronize their business. They're dying too and need to get open if they have a chance of surviving without losing their life's work. Their employees need to get back to work. These people haven't made a dime in 6 weeks plus, the bills are piling up, the cash they had put away is gone, and $#!*s about to get real.
Maybe they're someone who races, plays sports, goes to events or maybe their living involves these activities. Maybe they like to go do things instead of sit home. Maybe they'd like to go to church, go visit friends without having to worry about some busybody calling the cops on them.
For these people, an "inconvenience" is getting in the wrong line at the supermarket. For them this is a threat to their ability to make a living, their livelihood, their future, their ability to maintain their way of life. And they really don't understand why sex offenders and felons get let out of jail because of the virus, but they are forced to stay in their homes because of the virus.

So yeah, it's us and them. People are mad and they are over being nice about it.

Last edited by CMcAllister; 05/03/20 10:10 PM.

If the results don't match the theory, change the theory.
Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: CMcAllister] #2770957
05/03/20 10:40 PM
05/03/20 10:40 PM
Phoenix, AZ
Jjs72D Offline
Deep in the closet
Jjs72D  Offline
Deep in the closet

Phoenix, AZ
Originally Posted by CMcAllister

One side thinks we should sit home, wear masks and not do ANYTHING until next spring. No racing, vacations, concerts, friends over and NOTHING that requires you to be closer than 6' to anyone. And most of them are ready and willing to call the cops on their neighbors if they see any "violations".
These folks tend to be retired, independently wealthy or collecting unemployment (or some other government check) and sitting home enjoying the vacation. They could take the whole summer off, bills are paid so no problem. Probably aren't worried about going anywhere or doing anything else. They call this an "inconvenience" for the good of everyone. Probably think their mask is a fashion accessory by now.

Then there's the folks who work for themselves, own businesses, have investments - maybe they're a small business, a contractor, run a little Mom & Pop restaurant - or for some reason don't qualify for any relief or bailout money. If they are open under the radar, maybe they rely on other businesses who are shut down or people who are now broke to patronize their business. They're dying too and need to get open if they have a chance of surviving without losing their life's work. Their employees need to get back to work. These people haven't made a dime in 6 weeks plus, the bills are piling up, the cash they had put away is gone, and $#!*s about to get real.
Maybe they're someone who races, plays sports, goes to events or maybe their living involves these activities. Maybe they like to go do things instead of sit home. Maybe they'd like to go to church, go visit friends without having to worry about some busybody calling the cops on them.
For these people, an "inconvenience" is getting in the wrong line at the supermarket. For them this is a threat to their ability to make a living, their livelihood, their future, their ability to maintain their way of life. And they really don't understand why sex offenders and felons get let out of jail because of the virus, but they are forced to stay in their homes because of the virus.

So yeah, it's us and them. People are mad and they are over being nice about it.

Kudos to you, Sir. You expressed yourself in the manner in which I intended to do.
Thanks for the common sense response.

Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: CMcAllister] #2770971
05/03/20 11:55 PM
05/03/20 11:55 PM
Jefferson State
S
srt Offline
ESYC
srt  Offline
ESYC
S

Jefferson State
Originally Posted by CMcAllister

Appears it's become way to easy for some to classify people by checking box a or b.
It's wise to take this time as an opportunity to take a hard look at what is really important.
Way more than two sides and different variables.

Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: DaveRS23] #2770976
05/04/20 12:28 AM
05/04/20 12:28 AM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
Resolved

Last edited by jcc; 05/04/20 02:44 PM.

Page 61 of 136 1 2 59 60 61 62 63 135 136