04/29/20 12:47 AM
Macon, Missouri
T
TJ2 Offline
TJ2  Offline
T

Macon, Missouri
Originally Posted by Warhawk
Would you guys feel safe having Indy build a short block now?

FWIW....

The short block pictured in the screen shot of the post by Chris Wheatcraft belongs to a lifelong (40+ years) friend of mine.
It's a beautiful 636 that Kenny Lazzeri put together.

My buddy and 2 of his family members took off early Monday morning, and drove to the INDY compound to pick up this new aluminum 636. They spent a couple hours there visiting mainly with Charli, and some with Lazzeri. They had time to tour the 4 main buildings of the compound, and were simply amazed by the machinery and all the parts on hand. Kenny told them that he is the only one that does assembly work, such as the 636, and anything that goes out the door assembled, from short block to fully assembled engine, has been assembled only by him.

The transition to and moving of the business to the Wheatcraft's home location in Ohio, is one that will not be done rapidly; but rather, it will be done in the best way possible, so as to not create disturbances in customer service, to the best of their abilities. There is an incredible amount of equipment to be moved, along with everything else that is the physical sum total of this business. Quite an undertaking, to say the least... especially while trying to continue to serve the customers.

Without any other details, Russ and Fred are no longer there... period.

Kenny is going to continue building the engines throughout the transition, and is expecting to continue in this capacity once everything is moved to their new facility. My friend's personal take and perspective is that Kenny seemed to be excited and happy about the new breath of fresh air that the Wheatcraft family is bringing to the business we've known for so long, as INDY Cylinder Head.

IMG_5228(1).png
Re: More good news from Indy [Re: TJ2] #2769362
04/29/20 07:38 AM
04/29/20 07:38 AM
NE Ohio
DoubleD Offline
top fuel
DoubleD  Offline
top fuel

NE Ohio
With Russ and Fred out of the picture - I have no doubt Kenny Lazzeri is more than capable of assembling quality engines - everyone forgets he worked for and got his start with Herb McCandless - Kenny is a good guy who had horrible management and did as instructed under an environment of hostility. The sooner they can get moved the better it will be in the long run - but that is a huge financial commitment and nightmare to keep production rolling for cash flow - give it some time and watch it grow!

Re: More good news from Indy [Re: DoubleD] #2769433
04/29/20 11:52 AM
04/29/20 11:52 AM
So. Burlington, Vt.
F
fast68plymouth Offline
I Live Here
fast68plymouth  Offline
I Live Here
F

So. Burlington, Vt.
I wish the Wheatcrafts all the best in this venture up

68 Satellite, 383 with stock 906’s, 3550lbs, 11.18@123
Dealer for Comp Cams/Indy Heads
Re: More good news from Indy [Re: fast68plymouth] #2769439
04/29/20 12:09 PM
04/29/20 12:09 PM
Odessa, Fl
B
blowndart Offline
super stock
blowndart  Offline
super stock
B

Odessa, Fl
Did they recently raise the prices on their blocks? I don't remember them starting at $6500.

Re: More good news from Indy [Re: fast68plymouth] #2769450
04/29/20 12:29 PM
04/29/20 12:29 PM
CT
GTX MATT Offline
master
GTX MATT  Offline
master

CT
Are people comfortable buying blocks from them at this point? Were they already before? Can you get them?

Now I need to pin those needles, got to feel that heat
Hear my motor screamin while I'm tearin up the street
Re: More good news from Indy [Re: GTX MATT] #2769474
04/29/20 01:37 PM
04/29/20 01:37 PM
Las Vegas
Al_Alguire Offline
I Live Here
Al_Alguire  Offline
I Live Here

Las Vegas
The block that went to Canada was spot on with one exception, but that appears to be a clerical/transcription error on the order not a machining issued,and not a big deal honestly.

Last edited by Al_Alguire; 04/29/20 01:39 PM.

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."

"It's never wrong to do the right thing"
Re: More good news from Indy [Re: GTX MATT] #2769478
04/29/20 01:42 PM
04/29/20 01:42 PM
Macon, Missouri
T
TJ2 Offline
TJ2  Offline
T

Macon, Missouri
Originally Posted by GTX MATT
Are people comfortable buying blocks from them at this point? Were they already before? Can you get them?

A friendly 2 cents worth from the peanut gallery here...

1). Yes.

2). Yes.
My buddy who picked his up this past Monday was told all of the blocks are from the new foundry, and have been for a couple months or perhaps a bit more, now.
I am of the impression from my discussions with him, that this new foundry is owned by the Wheatcrafts. As I mentioned previously in my earlier post, he spoke with both Charli Wheatcraft and Kenny while he was there, so I am assuming a high degree of accuracy in the information I got from him.

3). If you are only wanting a bare block to work with, call and inquire. If you are wanting a short block (or more) built by them, it will probably be a fairly long wait. Kenny told my friend that he has 80 some more orders that followed on the list after his, yet to build. In addition to the continuous numerous orders from here in the U.S., they get orders from other countries as well. Their business has not slowed down.

Quite amazing... the amount of business they are doing.

Re: More good news from Indy [Re: TJ2] #2769636
04/29/20 08:05 PM
04/29/20 08:05 PM
Casper, WY
W
Wax Offline
Wax  Offline
W

Casper, WY
With all the back orders for engines to be built, I would think that the Wheatcrafts would be able to recruit some outstanding engine builders to gone the NEW team and Indy Cylinders Heads.

I’m sure that they have a list of people that would be willing and able to jump at the opportunity.

I would really be interested in what kind of horsepower that 636 would make.

Stay safe out there.

Re: More good news from Indy [Re: Al_Alguire] #2833226
10/16/20 12:38 AM
10/16/20 12:38 AM
Mo.
racerx Offline
master
racerx  Offline
master

Mo.
Originally Posted by Al_Alguire
Good to hear. We just got a block for a B1 project a few weeks ago. Seems much nicer than the older pieces for sure.

Al what was the difference in the old blocks/new blocks? i'm doing a search on the improvements the new owners have done with these blocks.

Re: More good news from Indy [Re: racerx] #2833353
10/16/20 10:26 AM
10/16/20 10:26 AM
Las Vegas
Al_Alguire Offline
I Live Here
Al_Alguire  Offline
I Live Here

Las Vegas
Originally Posted by racerx
Good to hear. We just got a block for a B1 project a few weeks ago. Seems much nicer than the older pieces for sure.

Al what was the difference in the old blocks/new blocks? i'm doing a search on the improvements the new owners have done with these blocks.

The casting quality appears to be MUCH improved over the previous version of their blocks, material and finish. They are also working on am entirely new block architecture as well right now as well.

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."

"It's never wrong to do the right thing"
Re: More good news from Indy [Re: Al_Alguire] #2833683
10/16/20 10:40 PM
10/16/20 10:40 PM
Mo.
racerx Offline
master
racerx  Offline
master

Mo.

The casting quality appears to be MUCH improved over the previous version of their blocks, material and finish. They are also working on am entirely new block architecture as well right now as well.

Thanks Al. up.....kind of on the fence about purchasing a new block , thought i'll look into the indy blocks and see if there were any changes. I remember there were some oiling issues at one time with the older blocks. I'll see what the owners have to offer.

Re: More good news from Indy [Re: DoubleD] #2833812
10/17/20 11:27 AM
10/17/20 11:27 AM
Trumbull,CT.
J
jim sciortino Offline
top fuel
jim sciortino  Offline
top fuel
J

Trumbull,CT.
Originally Posted by DoubleD
With Russ and Fred out of the picture - I have no doubt Kenny Lazzeri is more than capable of assembling quality engines - everyone forgets he worked for and got his start with Herb McCandless - Kenny is a good guy who had horrible management and did as instructed under an environment of hostility. The sooner they can get moved the better it will be in the long run - but that is a huge financial commitment and nightmare to keep production rolling for cash flow - give it some time and watch it grow!
Acually,Kenny has been at it long before he was with HM. He was building stuff up here at shop in the NYC area. I forget the name of the shop...."something" Machine. It started with an "M". Mansur......or something like that.

Re: More good news from Indy [Re: jim sciortino] #2833867
10/17/20 01:28 PM
10/17/20 01:28 PM
Chesterfield Twp. Mi.
J
John Burdine Offline
pro stock
John Burdine  Offline
pro stock
J

Chesterfield Twp. Mi.
current block price?

Re: More good news from Indy [Re: racerx] #2833879
10/17/20 01:56 PM
10/17/20 01:56 PM
Mo.
racerx Offline
master
racerx  Offline
master

Mo.

Thanks Al. up.....kind of on the fence about purchasing a new block , thought i'll look into the indy blocks and see if there were any changes. I remember there were some oiling issues at one time with the older blocks. I'll see what the owners have to offer.

One more ? for you Al.......i no you build some pretty serious engines , what kind of HP you putting though one of these block work?

Re: More good news from Indy [Re: racerx] #2833917
10/17/20 03:34 PM
10/17/20 03:34 PM
SoCal
Brian Hafliger Offline
master
Brian Hafliger  Offline
master

SoCal
For me, I would love to see Indy leave engine building behind, and focus on quality parts, quality castings, upgraded castings and machining, and supply the Mopar community with excellent parts/customer service...it seems when businesses take on too much, some aspects of that business get less attention than other aspects leading to poor quality or service...or both. JMO...
I'm super happy to be doing much more business with Indy since the new ownership, and you can tell the change is very POSITIVE!!
Brian

Brian Hafliger
Re: More good news from Indy [Re: Brian Hafliger] #2833934
10/17/20 04:33 PM
10/17/20 04:33 PM
Oregon
A
AndyF Offline
I Win
AndyF  Offline
I Win
A

Oregon
Originally Posted by ou812
For me, I would love to see Indy leave engine building behind, and focus on quality parts, quality castings, upgraded castings and machining, and supply the Mopar community with excellent parts/customer service...it seems when businesses take on too much, some aspects of that business get less attention than other aspects leading to poor quality or service...or both. JMO...
I'm super happy to be doing much more business with Indy since the new ownership, and you can tell the change is very POSITIVE!!
Brian

My counterpoint is that it is good for Indy to be building engines since that forces them to eat their own cooking. If their castings are bad then their own engine shop will see it first.

Page 2 of 2 1 2