04/28/20 12:29 PM
Mass
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here
DAYCLONA  Offline
I Live Here

Mass
Originally Posted by srt
The ventilator seems to have become the pandemics pariah. Or, is it a distraction to what is really needed?
Frankly I do not know what to believe regarding how well people do coming off a ventilator.

A small case study was done in New York just recently, 88% of those on a ventilator died during this "pandemic"...the avg ventilator patient's age was 63 years old

Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: DaveRS23] #2769087
04/28/20 12:57 PM
04/28/20 12:57 PM
(Central) PA
Runner2go Offline
I Live Here
Runner2go  Offline
I Live Here

(Central) PA
Originally Posted by DaveRS23
New CDC info.

Notice that the flu was killing far more people than the virus until the end of March and that the flu is still killing more people than the virus in some areas. And it is also important to note that the criteria to define a death as 'Covid related' is very broad.
If you coughed "once" and then died... you died of Covid.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/COVID19/

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2020...g-the-death-rate-for-covid-19-heres-why/

A big part of the reason for the virus' rapid spread is because most of those infected (60% to 80%) show little to no symptoms. Compare that to the flu. And the mortality rate is not level across all ethnicities. But if you are a white middle aged person with no underlying health issues, the mortality rate is well below 1%. Just how far below may never be known because of inadequate testing and selection bias.
In the US that may have more to do with living arrangements than race. If you've ever worked/lived in the inner city of any city... while certainly not universal... you will still find a larger % of multi-generational families either living together, or in the same housing complex than out in the suburbs... It's very difficult to keep everyone separated in those conditions, especially the kids that won't understand why they can't play with their cousin down the hall, and come back and jump up and Grand-mom's lap.

Another thing that is interesting is the complete outbreak mess in NYC... frown
While there is very little outbreak in Tokyo Japan. work shruggy
Tokyo makes living in NYC feel like your in the suburbs... yet they have very little covid deaths. I couldn't find a specific list for Tokyo itself, but as of yesterday, Japan as a whole only has 13,756 cases and 376 deaths across ALL of Japan... Which includes tightly packed Tokyo.
Why is that? Japan never instituted a complete lockdown destroying their economy, apparently their laws don't allow it. They did ban entry to the country for anyone from China (the day AFTER we did here)... and also a few days later, anyone that had a recent passport stamp from China regardless of Country of Origin. That may have helped slow it down compared to NYC, where thousands poured into the city from Italy, many from Wuhan. However since then NYC was in lockdown and the virus still spread, Japan wasn't. Japan made suggestions to stay separated, but didn't "request" some schools, theaters, & sporting events to close until April 8-10th. So why doesn't Tokyo have MORE deaths than NYC... rather than a mere fraction?
Maybe the Chinaman that designed it, was able to build in a certain distaste for Asian blood. whistling stirthepot

On a lighter note...
Anyone "with a sense of humor" pull up YouTube and enter the phrase "siri don't want the rona"
Click on any of the 1st 3, with the dude sitting in a car on his phone... laugh2

Won't post a link. I'm not one of the privileged few that can post a NSFW video here, without a ban.
A little swearing, so if you are one of the guys here with NO sense of humor, don't view it. whistling

Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: Runner2go] #2769093
04/28/20 01:08 PM
04/28/20 01:08 PM
s.e. MI
P
partsforsale Offline
super stock
partsforsale  Offline
super stock
P

s.e. MI
Originally Posted by Runner2go
New CDC info.

Notice that the flu was killing far more people than the virus until the end of March and that the flu is still killing more people than the virus in some areas. And it is also important to note that the criteria to define a death as 'Covid related' is very broad.
If you coughed "once" and then died... you died of Covid.

A big part of the reason for the virus' rapid spread is because most of those infected (60% to 80%) show little to no symptoms. Compare that to the flu. And the mortality rate is not level across all ethnicities. But if you are a white middle aged person with no underlying health issues, the mortality rate is well below 1%. Just how far below may never be known because of inadequate testing and selection bias.
In the US that may have more to do with living arrangements than race. If you've ever worked/lived in the inner city of any city... while certainly not universal... you will still find a larger % of multi-generational families either living together, or in the same housing complex than out in the suburbs... It's very difficult to keep everyone separated in those conditions, especially the kids that won't understand why they can't play with their cousin down the hall, and come back and jump up and Grand-mom's lap.

Another thing that is interesting is the complete outbreak mess in NYC... frown
While there is very little outbreak in Tokyo Japan. work shruggy
Tokyo makes living in NYC feel like your in the suburbs... yet they have very little covid deaths. I couldn't find a specific list for Tokyo itself, but as of yesterday, Japan as a whole only has 13,756 cases and 376 deaths across ALL of Japan... Which includes tightly packed Tokyo.
Why is that? Japan never instituted a complete lockdown destroying their economy, apparently their laws don't allow it. They did ban entry to the country for anyone from China (the day AFTER we did here)... and also a few days later, anyone that had a recent passport stamp from China regardless of Country of Origin. That may have helped slow it down compared to NYC, where thousands poured into the city from Italy, many from Wuhan. However since then NYC was in lockdown and the virus still spread, Japan wasn't. Japan made suggestions to stay separated, but didn't "request" some schools, theaters, & sporting events to close until April 8-10th. So why doesn't Tokyo have MORE deaths than NYC... rather than a mere fraction?
Maybe the Chinaman that designed it, was able to build in a certain distaste for Asian blood. whistling stirthepot

On a lighter note...
Anyone "with a sense of humor" pull up YouTube and enter the phrase "siri don't want the rona"
Click on any of the 1st 3, with the dude sitting in a car on his phone... laugh2

Won't post a link. I'm not one of the privileged few that can post a NSFW video here, without a ban.
A little swearing, so if you are one of the guys here with NO sense of humor, don't view it. whistling

whoa, whoa, whoa, be careful, your gonna rile up the fear-mongers from "monarchia" and "trumussia" (hhmm, those location sure sound POLITICAL to me, maybe the mods should do something about it). Then they will have to respond by typing a bunch of words/drivel that I'm going to have to scroll past without reading..........

Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: DAYCLONA] #2769097
04/28/20 01:10 PM
04/28/20 01:10 PM
(Central) PA
Runner2go Offline
I Live Here
Runner2go  Offline
I Live Here

(Central) PA
Originally Posted by DAYCLONA
Originally Posted by srt
The ventilator seems to have become the pandemics pariah. Or, is it a distraction to what is really needed?
Frankly I do not know what to believe regarding how well people do coming off a ventilator.

A small case study was done in New York just recently, 88% of those on a ventilator died during this "pandemic"...the avg ventilator patient's age was 63 years old

I think a more interesting study is one of the things China managed to share before going into complete denial mode.

The Chinese did NOT use ventilators the same way that we did... apparently they found that the old & weak responded better to the O2 tube down the throat via the nose, along with what sounded like C-pap type machines. They either recovered or they didn't... but they discovered early on that a ventilator was a death sentence. So they used them on younger healthier patients that went down hard. Now while we would look at this as "rationing" and technically it was... apparently it resulted in a higher % of ventilator patients living... as well as a slightly better survival rate among the old an weak. That is assuming anything that comes out of China can believed... I'm not sure it can... but I think we proved here that ventilators were a likely death sentence.

Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: Runner2go] #2769102
04/28/20 01:15 PM
04/28/20 01:15 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
jcc  Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
J

Bitopia
So it how would a non invasive device work, like the old polio iron lungs compare, I wonder?

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: jcc] #2769104
04/28/20 01:22 PM
04/28/20 01:22 PM
PA.
pittsburghracer Online work
"Little"John
pittsburghracer  Online Work
"Little"John

PA.
I swear some of you guys have zero life except for Coronavirus. Gloom and doomers. Get a hobby or a dog or cat.

1970 Duster
Edelbrock headed 408
5.984@112.52
422 Indy headed small block
5.982@112.56 mph
9.42@138.27

Livin and lovin life one day at a time

Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: pittsburghracer] #2769112
04/28/20 01:41 PM
04/28/20 01:41 PM
Long Island, NY
70plymA34 Offline
super stock
70plymA34  Offline
super stock

Long Island, NY
When NYC started to break down the demographics of who the coronavirus was killing, Asians in NYC had the lowest rates of death. White, Black and Hispanic deaths lead the charge in the city unfortunately. I do give our residents of Asian descent credit though. They have been wearing surgical type masks here for years before this came into the USA. It was kind of funny to see the mask usage years back but who is having the last laugh now. It kind of makes sense because neighborhoods like Flushing Queens and Manhattans Chinatown are very overcrowded.

If anyone cares check out NYC.gov. They have some interesting COVID19 statistics on their site. Kind of an eye opener.

Last edited by 70plymA34; 04/28/20 01:42 PM.

Super Commando
Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: jcc] #2769122
04/28/20 02:04 PM
04/28/20 02:04 PM
Benton, IL.
D
DaveRS23 Offline
Special needs idiot
DaveRS23  Offline
Special needs idiot
D

Benton, IL.
Originally Posted by jcc
New CDC info.

I am really confused, there are currently 56,000+ dead in in the US alone 6 weeks, and we are debating the fatality percentages in single digits?

I fail to see how this matters, I thought most thought EVERY SINGLE life was important, and mattered, not percentages? Why is it important, other then reducing the death toll to zero?

Confused, huh? And you really don't know why the mortality rate matters?

Because the United States economy has been thrown into reverse. They are printing money faster than ever before which devalues ALL of the money already in circulation. Because people's financial lives are being destroyed. Suicides and domestic emergencies are rising. And on and on.............

You readily accept this 56,000 number that is being thrown around without having any idea how that number was arrived at. That is the point of the two links. This virus does kill people and there are certainly those that should take pertinent precautions, same as any bad flu season. But the data that is coming in does not show that this virus presents enough of a danger to enough of the population at large to justify the very real damage that is being done.

Stop and think for a moment what is going to happen if the United States is all but shut down every time a virus or influenza comes along that can kill less than 1% of the population. That scenario would play out every couple of years because there have recently been several flues that were just as virulent as this virus, if not even more so.

That is why the real data matters and is important.

Master, again and still
Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: DaveRS23] #2769129
04/28/20 02:09 PM
04/28/20 02:09 PM
Oregon
hooziewhatsit Offline
master
hooziewhatsit  Offline
master

Oregon
"They're counting wrong"... until we look at the total number of deaths compared to what we would expect to see without a novel virus going around, and realize that regardless, something is going on.

Why is Japan having fewer cases? Like mentioned, Asians tend to have the opposite stigma that we do, in that if they don't wear a mask in public while sick they get stared at. Masks are mostly good for containing our own spit spray, than keep others away from us. It stands to reason that if they all wear masks, they'll cut the transmission down dramatically.

2020-04-28_1106.png

If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.
Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: Guitar Jones] #2769183
04/28/20 04:44 PM
04/28/20 04:44 PM
Michigan
MarkZ Offline
Worthy
MarkZ  Offline
Worthy

Michigan
Originally Posted by Guitar Jones
Originally Posted by jcc
New CDC info.

I am really confused, there are currently 56,000+ dead in in the US alone 6 weeks, and we are debating the fatality percentages in single digits?

I fail to see how this matters, I thought most thought EVERY SINGLE life was important, and mattered, not percentages? Why is it important, other then reducing the death toll to zero?

Because it is an inconvenience to them. They feel they are not at risk so they don't care about others.
We can argue the numbers all day long but in the end it is an awful lot of dead people.

I refuse to believe this notion that people who want to go back to work don't give a damn about death rates or those standing next to them. We talk numbers because if you're going to craft policy it needs to be based in numbers. If we're not willing to admit that people will in fact die not just to this, but a myriad of possibilities then there is no limit to what we shutdown and ban in society. It's not cold, selfish or detached - it's pragmatic. Eventually we're going to run into an inflection point where the cure is worse than the disease. Where that point is is up for debate, but what I won't do is demonize those for trying to find it.

1987 Fifth Avenue - 512/518/D60
Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: pittsburghracer] #2769193
04/28/20 05:02 PM
04/28/20 05:02 PM
Phoenix, AZ
Jjs72D Offline
Deep in the closet
Jjs72D  Offline
Deep in the closet

Phoenix, AZ
Originally Posted by pittsburghracer
I swear some of you guys have zero life except for Coronavirus. Gloom and doomers. Get a hobby or a dog or cat.

Thank you for this response!

Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: 360view] #2769197
04/28/20 05:14 PM
04/28/20 05:14 PM
USA
360view Offline
Moparts resident spammer
360view  Offline
Moparts resident spammer

USA
Seniors with COVID-19 have unusual symptoms:

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-04-seniors-covid-unusual-symptoms-doctors.html

Sample quote

At advanced ages, "someone's immune response may be blunted and their ability to regulate temperature may be altered," said Dr. Joseph Ouslander, a professor of geriatric medicine at Florida Atlantic University's Schmidt College of Medicine.

"Underlying chronic illnesses can mask or interfere with signs of infection," he said. "Some older people, whether from age-related changes or previous neurologic issues such as a stroke, may have altered cough reflexes. Others with cognitive impairment may not be able to communicate their symptoms."

Recognizing danger signs is important: If early signs of COVID-19 are missed, seniors may deteriorate before getting needed care. And people may go in and out of their homes without adequate protective measures, risking the spread of infection.

Dr. Quratulain Syed, an Atlanta geriatrician, describes a man in his 80s whom she treated in mid-March. Over a period of days, this patient, who had heart disease, diabetes and moderate cognitive impairment, stopped walking and became incontinent and profoundly lethargic. But he didn't have a fever or a cough. His only respiratory symptom: sneezing off and on.

The man's elderly spouse called 911 twice. Both times, paramedics checked his vital signs and declared he was OK. After another worried call from the overwhelmed spouse, Syed insisted the patient be taken to the hospital, where he tested positive for COVID-19.

"I was quite concerned about the paramedics and health aides who'd been in the house and who hadn't used PPE (personal protective equipment)," Syed said.

Dr. Sam Torbati, medical director of the Ruth and Harry Roman Emergency Department at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, describes treating seniors who initially appear to be trauma patients but are found to have COVID-19.

"They get weak and dehydrated," he said, "and when they stand to walk, they collapse and injure themselves badly."

Torbati has seen older adults who are profoundly disoriented and unable to speak and who appear at first to have suffered strokes.

"When we test them, we discover that what's producing these changes is a central nervous system effect of coronavirus," he said.

Dr. Laura Perry, an assistant professor of medicine at the University of California-San Francisco, saw a patient like this several weeks ago. The woman, in her 80s, had what seemed to be a cold before becoming very confused. In the hospital, she couldn't identify where she was or stay awake during an examination. Perry diagnosed hypoactive delirium, an altered mental state in which people become inactive and drowsy. The patient tested positive for coronavirus and is still in the ICU.

Dr. Anthony Perry, an associate professor of geriatric medicine at Rush University Medical Center in Chicago, tells of an 81-year-old woman with nausea, vomiting and diarrhea who tested positive for COVID-19 in the emergency room. After receiving IV fluids, oxygen and medication for her intestinal upset, she returned home after two days and is doing well.

Another 80-year-old Rush patient with similar symptoms—nausea and vomiting, but no cough, fever or shortness of breath is in intensive care after getting a positive COVID-19 test and due to be put on a ventilator. The difference? This patient is frail with "a lot of cardiovascular disease," Perry said. Other than that, it's not yet clear why some older patients do well while others do not.

End quote

Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: DaveRS23] #2769199
04/28/20 05:17 PM
04/28/20 05:17 PM
central texas
K
krautrock Offline
top fuel
krautrock  Offline
top fuel
K

central texas
And it is also important to note that the criteria to define a death as 'Covid related' is very broad.

can you expand on this? one would assume that there would be a positive test associated with a "covid related" death...

Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: 360view] #2769201
04/28/20 05:20 PM
04/28/20 05:20 PM
USA
360view Offline
Moparts resident spammer
360view  Offline
Moparts resident spammer

USA
Pepcid ( generic famotidine)
Is being investigated as a potential COVID-19 treatment drug
at nine times the usual dose taken for hearburn:

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-04-common-heartburn-drug-covid-hospital.html

Edit:

A longer article that says a classified military project that identifies existing drugs for new bio-threats was involved in this:

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/202...sts-heartburn-remedy-against-coronavirus

Sample quote

Anecdotal evidence has encouraged the Northwell researchers. After speaking to Tracey, David Tuveson, director of the Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Cancer Center, recommended famotidine to his 44-year-old sister, an engineer with New York City hospitals. She had tested positive for COVID-19 and developed a fever. Her lips became dark blue from hypoxia. She took her first megadose of oral famotidine on 28 March. The next morning, her fever broke and her oxygen saturation returned to a normal range. Five sick co-workers, including three with confirmed COVID-19, also showed dramatic improvements after taking over-the-counter versions of the drug, according a spreadsheet of case histories Tuveson shared with Science. Many COVID-19 patients recover with simple symptom-relieving medications, but Tuveson credits the heartburn drug. “I would say that was a penicillin effect,” he says.
End quote

Last edited by 360view; 04/28/20 07:36 PM. Reason: Added 2nd article
Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: 360view] #2769203
04/28/20 05:25 PM
04/28/20 05:25 PM
USA
360view Offline
Moparts resident spammer
360view  Offline
Moparts resident spammer

USA
Obesity seems increasingly the worst co-morbidity for COVID-19

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-04-evidence-obesity-factor-illness-coronavirus.html

Sample quote
Researchers in France found almost half of 124 patients admitted to an intensive care unit (ICU) with COVID-19 had a BMI in the obese range. This was nearly double the rate of a comparison group of ICU patients with severe acute respiratory disease unrelated to COVID-19.

Further, the need for mechanical ventilation increased with increasing BMI.

A UK surveillance study of patients admitted to intensive care with COVID-19 reported almost three-quarters (75%) of the 6,720 patients had a BMI in the overweight or obese range, which is greater than the population prevalence of overweight and obesity in adults in the UK (around 67%).

One study of 3,615 people who tested positive for COVID-19 found those aged under 60 years with a BMI of between 30 and 34 were almost twice as likely to be admitted to ICU compared to patients with a BMI of less than 30. This likelihood increased to 3.6 times in those patients with a BMI of 35 or greater

End quote

Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: 360view] #2769205
04/28/20 05:30 PM
04/28/20 05:30 PM
USA
360view Offline
Moparts resident spammer
360view  Offline
Moparts resident spammer

USA

Tocilizumab, sold under the brand names Actemra and RoAcemtra
May calm the cytokine storm in worst affected COVID-19 patients

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-04-arthritis-drug-significant-severe-covid-.html

Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: Jjs72D] #2769209
04/28/20 06:02 PM
04/28/20 06:02 PM
PA.
"Little"John
"Little"John

PA.
Originally Posted by Jjs72D
Originally Posted by pittsburghracer

Thank you for this response!

You are very welcome. Maybe the same guys that ruined the stimulus post will step in to end this one. Did I ever show you guys my cat pictures. It may cheer you up some. Reminds me of my neighbor that fought the gas company from building a compressor station a half miles me from his house. He’s now dead from a heart attack.

1970 Duster
Edelbrock headed 408
5.984@112.52
5.982@112.56 mph
9.42@138.27

Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: 360view] #2769223
04/28/20 06:58 PM
04/28/20 06:58 PM
USA
360view Offline
Moparts resident spammer
360view  Offline
Moparts resident spammer

USA
ER doctor in the Bronx on what he saw, and what he believes should be done next:

https://nypost.com/2020/04/27/ive-w...-and-i-say-its-time-to-start-opening-up/

Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: 360view] #2769224
04/28/20 07:07 PM
04/28/20 07:07 PM
PA.
"Little"John
"Little"John

PA.
New York Post. That’s a real credible source. So people aren’t going to the emergency rooms. Well between all the people out of work, driving less, zero sports, and staying home all day that’s kinda what happens.

1970 Duster
Edelbrock headed 408
5.984@112.52
5.982@112.56 mph
9.42@138.27

Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: MarkZ] #2769226
04/28/20 07:21 PM
04/28/20 07:21 PM
in a cattle trailer down by th...
G
Guitar Jones Online laugh2
Paddle faster! I hear banjo music!
Guitar Jones  Online laugh2
Paddle faster! I hear banjo music!
G

in a cattle trailer down by th...
Originally Posted by MarkM
Originally Posted by Guitar Jones
Originally Posted by jcc
New CDC info.

Because it is an inconvenience to them. They feel they are not at risk so they don't care about others.
We can argue the numbers all day long but in the end it is an awful lot of dead people.

I refuse to believe this notion that people who want to go back to work don't give a damn about death rates or those standing next to them. We talk numbers because if you're going to craft policy it needs to be based in numbers. If we're not willing to admit that people will in fact die not just to this, but a myriad of possibilities then there is no limit to what we shutdown and ban in society. It's not cold, selfish or detached - it's pragmatic. Eventually we're going to run into an inflection point where the cure is worse than the disease. Where that point is is up for debate, but what I won't do is demonize those for trying to find it.

Refuse to believe what you want but people are by and large stupid and selfish. I would love to go back to work and resume a normal life. I'm sure my house value, that I want to sell has taken a big hit, my 401K is in the toilet and my savings are being depleted as we speak. Am I willing to bet my life and my loved ones lives on it? Not a chance in hell. There is too much unknown about this virus to make anyone with any common sense say, hold on, let's just wait a minute until we understand this better. Sadly common sense is so uncommon these days it should be deemed a super power.

"Follow me the wise man said, but he walked behind"

'92 D250 Club Cab CTD, 47RH conversion, pump tweaks, injectors, rear disc and hydroboost conversion.
'74 W200 Crew Cab 360, NV4500, D44, D60 and NP205 divorced transfer case. Rear disc and hydroboost coming soon!
2019 1500 Long Horn Crew Cab 4WD, 5.7 Hemi.
Page 54 of 136 1 2 52 53 54 55 56 135 136