04/23/20 06:38 PM
04/23/20 06:38 PM
A collage of whims
topside Offline OP
Too Many Posts
topside  Offline OP
Too Many Posts

A collage of whims
This is how "Restorations by Julius" handles bodywork. Backstory: cracking paint, a few polite calls & discussions with Julius, who remembered the car.
He provided no answers or even consistent stories, only "never had a problem".
The bodywork & paint was not tampered with since leaving his shop.
Finally started digging into it, and this is what we found (quick & sucky photos):
Lt quarter lower patch panel barely welded, and beat on apparently with a ball-peen, then over 3/8" of bondo on top.
A few rust spots on the right, a good 1/4" or so of bondo over that.
Other areas with no damage underneath, also 1/4" of bondo.
I'm utterly mystified as to why, let alone the sheer nerve involved in such crap work.
Bonus points: missing parts, incorrect fasteners & finishes, etc found during disassembly.
Rest assured the car is going down to the bone and being re-done.

BondoLR1.JPGBondoLR2.JPGBondoRust RR.JPG
Re: Resto By Julius Butchery [Re: topside] #2767681
04/23/20 11:06 PM
04/23/20 11:06 PM
Phila
P
PhillyRag Offline
top fuel
PhillyRag  Offline
top fuel
P

Phila
Are they Used Metal Patchs or repros? Not that it matters, unless those pcs are rare to come by. Nonetheless, did you "follow" the work as it progressed?, to have noticed that work. Still, that welded seam is pathetic, to say the least. And that ball-peen job! Figured: "the bondo would cover it". Some do bodywork with the "reasoning" that "our crappy workmanship will take sometime to surface & by then we're off-the-hook.

Re: Resto By Julius Butchery [Re: topside] #2767685
04/23/20 11:15 PM
04/23/20 11:15 PM
Nampa, ID
MadMatt Offline
super stock
MadMatt  Offline
super stock

Nampa, ID
That is some real crap work. As you and I discussed, I know the shop where his stuff was painted during that time frame and he paid bottom dollar for quick and dirty finish work. Sorry you had to wind up with one of those steaming piles.

Some see the glass as half empty, some see the glass as half full. I just drink straight out of the bottle.
Re: Resto By Julius Butchery [Re: MadMatt] #2767688
04/23/20 11:18 PM
04/23/20 11:18 PM
jersey shore
F
flypaper Offline
I hate Texas
flypaper  Offline
I hate Texas
F

jersey shore
you would think with the reputation you would see better work
quality work takes time and it doesn't look like they invested much of it
into this repair.

Re: Resto By Julius Butchery [Re: flypaper] #2767721
04/24/20 01:01 AM
04/24/20 01:01 AM
A collage of whims
topside Offline OP
Too Many Posts
topside  Offline OP
Too Many Posts

A collage of whims
I have the receipt from Julius and the lower quarter patch panels were charged out.
It was done when the prior owner had the car.
Oddly, while the right side has the proper contour, the left side went almost straight down from the body line that's below the side marker.
They didn't even bother to look at what they were doing.
But the left side is particularly disgusting.
Anyone who does that kind of work doesn't deserve oxygen.
We're documenting the metal work & repairs with photos - better ones than I posted - as it gets taken down to a proper surface.

Re: Resto By Julius Butchery [Re: topside] #2767829
04/24/20 12:43 PM
04/24/20 12:43 PM
Eagle, Idaho
Neil Offline
The Doctor is in.
Neil  Offline
The Doctor is in.

Eagle, Idaho
Shame on them. mad No reason to do work like that even for free.

Re: Resto By Julius Butchery [Re: Neil] #2767844
04/24/20 01:26 PM
04/24/20 01:26 PM
Minnesota
TrackPack Offline
TrackPack  Offline

Minnesota
You know, there are a few shops that photo document every step of a restoration. No excuse for work like that, and most likely didn't save the time required to do it the right way.

Re: Resto By Julius Butchery [Re: topside] #2767948
04/24/20 08:56 PM
04/24/20 08:56 PM
Morristown Tn.
71birdJ68 Offline
master
71birdJ68  Offline
master

Morristown Tn.
I thought he died. Somebody different?

Re: Resto By Julius Butchery [Re: 71birdJ68] #2767955
04/24/20 09:28 PM
04/24/20 09:28 PM
Brownstown, PA
F
FJR doc Offline
mopar
FJR doc  Offline
mopar
F

Brownstown, PA
I've been down this road with my Duster restoration. Unfortunately, this seems to be an all to often scenario in the car restoration world. I feel sad for the owner of this car. He put his faith and money into the shop hoping that proper work would be done. The pictures make me sick.
Work needs to be taken back to ground zero to see what other shoddy workmanship is hiding under paint and Bondo. In my case, legal action never resulted in any compensation to me. The shop owner filed bankruptcy and I was low man on the totem pole for getting compensated.

Follow my Duster 340 restoration progress on FABO http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=225784

Kevin
Re: Resto By Julius Butchery [Re: FJR doc] #2767958
04/24/20 09:37 PM
04/24/20 09:37 PM
Phoenix, AZ
Jjs72D Offline
Deep in the closet
Jjs72D  Offline
Deep in the closet

Phoenix, AZ
Looks good to this guy.

1 SW.jpg
Re: Resto By Julius Butchery [Re: topside] #2767995
04/25/20 12:13 AM
04/25/20 12:13 AM
Phila
P
PhillyRag Offline
top fuel
PhillyRag  Offline
top fuel
P

Phila
I have the receipt from Julius and the lower quarter patch panels were charged out.
It was done when the prior owner had the car.

Do you mean "farmed out"? to another shop or previous owner of the shop in question?
Is it fair to say you weren't "around" to witness/observe that work before paint.

Seems to be that to determine IF a shop does "good" body, Check out what/how much "bondo" they have in-house.
If gallon cans >>>>> Run Forest Run.

Re: Resto By Julius Butchery [Re: PhillyRag] #2768044
04/25/20 10:19 AM
04/25/20 10:19 AM
Minneapolis, MN
H
hemi70se Offline
top fuel
hemi70se  Offline
top fuel
H

Minneapolis, MN
I heard years ago that this resto shop did not do their own paint and bodywork. What? how do you call yourself a resto shop then? paint and bodywork is most of what a resto is comprised of! If you want a great paint job you need to find someone that is not just a painter but an "artist". You either have the talent or you don't. Same goes with metal work. Now if you hire it out like Julius does and goes with the lowest "bid" then you don't get the "artist level " work on your car. I see lousy paint and bodywork all the time from people trying to go cheap. I'll see orange peel on fresh paint because the owner paid a cut rate price for the job and the laborer didn't feel he wanted to wet sand and buff it for free.

Re: Resto By Julius Butchery [Re: PhillyRag] #2768046
04/25/20 10:28 AM
04/25/20 10:28 AM
A collage of whims
topside Offline OP
Too Many Posts
topside  Offline OP
Too Many Posts

A collage of whims
When I say "charged out" I mean he charged the customer for the parts.
I wasn't there for any of this, though I have photos, no doubt just the ones they wanted to see the light of day.
He actually would sublet the body & paint to "his guy"; and it's a line item on his receipt.
The inference was always that it was all his company.

Nevertheless, in my shops (before I retired), if I sublet work, I was 1st in the responsibility line if there was a problem.
And I made sure IF there was a problem, it only happened once (at worst), was corrected, and never happened again.

Re: Resto By Julius Butchery [Re: PhillyRag] #2768081
04/25/20 11:35 AM
04/25/20 11:35 AM
Mass
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here
DAYCLONA  Offline
I Live Here

Mass
Originally Posted by PhillyRag
[quote]

Seems to be that to determine IF a shop does "good" body, Check out what/how much "bondo" they have in-house.

The west coast "technique" for decades has to been cover the entire vehicle in bondo even if it's not needed, and carve it to shape, personally I'd rather spend some hammer/dolly time to straighten panels, along with time spent to align/tweak panels as well, then block several coats of high build primer to "straighten" the body, but for the majority, time and money is their concern, so bondo, putty/fillers/creams/etc are their short cut to "perfection" to hide hack work...that's a shame when you try to make a name in the hobby, I see it in almost all the "big name" shops/restorers, some more than others

Re: Resto By Julius Butchery [Re: DAYCLONA] #2768093
04/25/20 12:05 PM
04/25/20 12:05 PM
West Coast, CA
T
Troy Offline
master
Troy  Offline
master
T

West Coast, CA
What car is that?

Did you pay to have Julius do it or did you buy the car from the person that did?

Julius used many body shops over the years and the quality of the work varies on the amount of money the customer wanted to pay.

....there is nothing like driving my 1968 Hemi Dart around town and having people looking at you like you're nuts!!
Re: Resto By Julius Butchery [Re: DAYCLONA] #2768100
04/25/20 12:18 PM
04/25/20 12:18 PM
West Coast, CA
T
Troy Offline
master
Troy  Offline
master
T

West Coast, CA
Originally Posted by DAYCLONA
[quote=PhillyRag]

The west coast "technique" for decades has to been cover the entire vehicle in bondo even if it's not needed, and carve it to shape, personally I'd rather spend some hammer/dolly time to straighten panels, along with time spent to align/tweak panels as well, then block several coats of high build primer to "straighten" the body, but for the majority, time and money is their concern, so bondo, putty/fillers/creams/etc are their short cut to "perfection" to hide hack work...that's a shame when you try to make a name in the hobby, I see it in almost all the "big name" shops/restorers, some more than others

I work at a custom car shop. The body shop we use charges us for metal work, body work and paint work well over $100,000 for a “nice” job. All the big name shops cover the cars in filler and sand smooth. There is no other way to get the body perfectly straight. If you say that is not true then your using you filler primer incorrectly. Every time you strike metal with a hammer and dolly your altering the thickness of the metal making it thinner in spots. That extra metal needs to go somewhere and that is what creates waves. When you sand down the waves you create thin spots in the metal and that is even worse than .015 thick layer of filler.

....there is nothing like driving my 1968 Hemi Dart around town and having people looking at you like you're nuts!!
Re: Resto By Julius Butchery [Re: Troy] #2768137
04/25/20 01:58 PM
04/25/20 01:58 PM
MI
MI Mopar Works Offline
mopar
MI Mopar Works  Offline
mopar

MI
Originally Posted by Troy
[quote=PhillyRag]

I work at a custom car shop. The body shop we use charges us for metal work, body work and paint work well over $100,000 for a “nice” job. All the big name shops cover the cars in filler and sand smooth. There is no other way to get the body perfectly straight. If you say that is not true then your using you filler primer incorrectly. Every time you strike metal with a hammer and dolly your altering the thickness of the metal making it thinner in spots. That extra metal needs to go somewhere and that is what creates waves. When you sand down the waves you create thin spots in the metal and that is even worse than .015 thick layer of filler.

exactly.

Last edited by MI Mopar Works; 04/25/20 01:58 PM.

MI Mopar Works (734)624-2212
Parts Sales
Restoration and detailing of all kinds of mopar hardware
https://www.facebook.com/MIMoparWorks/

Re: Resto By Julius Butchery [Re: MI Mopar Works] #2768269
04/25/20 09:08 PM
04/25/20 09:08 PM
Round Lake Beach, Illinoisy
Rhinodart Offline
Rhinotruck
Rhinodart  Offline
Rhinotruck

Round Lake Beach, Illinoisy
An "arteest" really worked over this 67 Barracuda, I call it the Bondocuda. I ended up parting it out and cutting it up... frown

Bondocuda.jpg

The funny thing about science is that if you change one miniscule parameter you change the entire outcome to the way you want it.

JB Rhinehart, Realist

A-Body's RULE!
Re: Resto By Julius Butchery [Re: MI Mopar Works] #2768295
04/25/20 11:07 PM
04/25/20 11:07 PM
Phila
P
PhillyRag Offline
top fuel
PhillyRag  Offline
top fuel
P

Phila
Originally Posted by MI Mopar Works
Originally Posted by Troy
[quote=PhillyRag]

exactly.

All the big name shops cover the cars in filler and sand smooth. There is no other way to get the body perfectly straight. If you say that is not true then your using you filler primer incorrectly.

Well I hope they aren't using "filler (aka putty, bondo,etc)" on the entire car to make it straight!.
OK for a custom (I guess), but not a restoration.

Filler Primer is one thing----Bondo (aka body filler) is another.
Yes: 100% Primer. No: 100% Filler

Re: Resto By Julius Butchery [Re: Rhinodart] #2768296
04/25/20 11:10 PM
04/25/20 11:10 PM
Phila
P
PhillyRag Offline
top fuel
PhillyRag  Offline
top fuel
P

Phila
Originally Posted by Rhinodart
An "arteest" really worked over this 67 Barracuda, I call it the Bondocuda. I ended up parting it out and cutting it up... frown

Hey: one of those West Coast "Technique" jobs !!!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2