04/20/20 11:49 AM
north of coder
moparx Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"
moparx  Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"

north of coder
Originally Posted by Neil
First time a bank or convenience store gets robbed by someone wearing a corona mask that will be the end of those.

i'm astonished one hasn't been reported yet ! eek
beer

Re: What do people think the "new normal" will be? [Re: not_a_charger] #2766266
04/20/20 11:57 AM
04/20/20 11:57 AM
central il.
S
second 70 Offline
top fuel
second 70  Offline
top fuel
S

central il.
It's going to be different because the shutdown got people to try new things. teledoc was starting to be used before the virus to save money and now that people have tried it it will be used more often. People who started to have grocerys delivered love it and won't go back. Some workers will lose their jobs because the company found out how they could get by with less. It will return to a new normal that probably would have happened anyway over the next several years but got jump started by the outbreak.

Re: What do people think the "new normal" will be? [Re: not_a_charger] #2766269
04/20/20 12:00 PM
04/20/20 12:00 PM

R
RWG75
Unregistered
RWG75
Unregistered
R

Originally Posted by not_a_charger
Agreed, and in a small business, they will have the final say. In a medium or large-sized company, the workers are going to have a lot more leverage, because working from home was already an increasing trend, and this is going to accelerate it. If a company was allowing it before, but certain managers within were not, those managers are no longer going to have any good reason to be the outliers/holdouts. We're already seeing it here, and it's actually quite funny to watch the panicked realization sink in with those folks.

The gamer generation is using the xbox technology to leverage what's always been there. That was always the axe to the head moment as a integrator. Listen pal, you can plug in to all of this and move it, why do care where it is. Install solar and lets go. Another board was showing a liveish measurement of something corona and demonstrated it working. It's the same grid and tools and always has been. My girl is of this generation and this plague has forced her to leverage her technology to put tablets in the hands of school children instead of win virtual jelley beans.

Let me try this as practical application: your plaque mileage may vary. walk down an aisle in a store and notice how stocked it is with whatever and I'll pick corn flakes because I spent 5 years moving them and understand the model. If I had been running IT instead of a fork lift, I'd be able to stand in front of that widget in that store and tell you where every case of it in the country is. Corn flakes plus 10 brands in 100 warehouses, production points, 1000 customers at 100 trucks per w/h per day. If you're work tablet can show you every corn flake in the country because you're a kellogg employee, what can in tell you about 1000 companies doing the same thing with their widgets or infections.

I think that will be the post 911 add of c19: 911 brought us lots of focus on who people where and what bombs they might be carrying. c19 will bring lots of focus on what they're health is. Can you be poked and tested for 19 things when you get herded down the take your belt off chute? Why not and why not plug it in to the back bone. If they already know I'm in Jamaica for 2 wks (a/l), give me my shots going out and know what to expect coming back. Post 911 security did bring infrastructure and data and I say leverage it with heath integration.

Superman PJs? Why not? When this started my niece posted about her child running naked toward a teleconfernce, I replied give it a couple weeks and you'll be the naked one. Didn't follow with that I was before the tele fiber was there. I've got a few good kodak moments. This just close yer doors thing has forced it in great numbers to maybe swing it. Dr's are doing tele med they should have been for a decade. Moving masks, beds, shots around is easy. It's knowing where and when that gets expensive.

While I wander around my lawn.

Re: What do people think the "new normal" will be? [Re: second 70] #2766271
04/20/20 12:02 PM
04/20/20 12:02 PM
Berlin, N.J.
A
abodyjoe Offline
I Live Here
abodyjoe  Offline
I Live Here
A

Berlin, N.J.
oh there have been robberies by people wearing surgical masks.. he is just one. https://www.fox23.com/news/local/tu...urgical-mask/S52FJOLVT5FAHD2ADZ442NJY4A/
i know there was here in phila or ny recently too..

It's better to keep your mouth shut and give the impression that you're stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

www.MoparMisfits.com
Re: What do people think the "new normal" will be? [Re: abodyjoe] #2766278
04/20/20 12:12 PM
04/20/20 12:12 PM
savoy_63 Offline
master
savoy_63  Offline
master

Hospitals going bankrupt

Re: What do people think the "new normal" will be? [Re: Sniper] #2766289
04/20/20 12:36 PM
04/20/20 12:36 PM
Mass
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here
DAYCLONA  Offline
I Live Here

Mass
Originally Posted by Sniper
My current normal is as it was before this clown show started.

It won't change after.

Same here, the only impact this has had for me were the lines to get into a store, then deal with the mask wearing panic driven idiots panic shopping, I very rarely eat out/dine so restaurant closings didn't bother me, 90% of the businesses I deal with were open for business... in fact I only missed 1 day of work shaking off the high fever and cold sweats of having the so-called dreaded Covid19, the other 4 weeks at work were quite challenging dealing with the extreme fatigue your body experiences along with the dry never ending cough and labored breathing,...but guess what, of the other 100 employees I work with no one got sick....because I made it known, and kept my distance from other co-workers (this was in February, long before any "guidelines" were enacted)

I only contracted this decease because my Daughter made a trip to the local hospital for an unrelated test, ended up contracting it most likely at the hospital and then infecting me in the aftermath....

IMHO had the country never shut down, and public service messages been made to warn everyone to expect what was coming, and then let the chips fall where they may for those not capable of surviving, we would have feared much better than the current state of crap we're in....

Re: What do people think the "new normal" will be? [Re: 71TA] #2766292
04/20/20 12:48 PM
04/20/20 12:48 PM
Kalispell Mt.
H
HotRodDave Offline
I Live Here
HotRodDave  Offline
I Live Here
H

Kalispell Mt.
The schools will never go away, they are glorified baby sitters as much as they are teachers, this will be the test that proves that. Also by social skills going away I think its more like peer pressure would go away and kids could be themselves more, even if they did lose the physical building it would not be a big loss (well except for the petri dish that schools are).

This is probably just a hitch in the economy, it was so strong that hopefully a recovery won't take too long over this massive over reaction we have had. This reaction is like a karate kick to the face when the doc taps your knee. I think all the plexi glass will go away, life will go back to normal, some people will shuffle their employment situations around and we will look back and say it was a bigger overreaction than Y2K was.

I am not causing global warming, I am just trying to hold off a impending Ice Age!

Re: What do people think the "new normal" will be? [Re: HotRodDave] #2766319
04/20/20 02:03 PM
04/20/20 02:03 PM
Round Lake Beach, Illinoisy
Rhinodart Offline
Rhinotruck
Rhinodart  Offline
Rhinotruck

Round Lake Beach, Illinoisy
I have heard that strip clubs will have plexiglass bubbles around the poles and employ lot lizards to keep the bubbles clean constantly... boogie

The funny thing about science is that if you change one miniscule parameter you change the entire outcome to the way you want it.

JB Rhinehart, Realist

A-Body's RULE!
Re: What do people think the "new normal" will be? [Re: abodyjoe] #2768025
04/25/20 09:26 AM
04/25/20 09:26 AM
Berlin, N.J.
A
abodyjoe Offline
I Live Here
abodyjoe  Offline
I Live Here
A

Berlin, N.J.
Originally Posted by abodyjoe
personally i think things will mostly return to normal pretty fast after its over. i'm sure some will wear masks and stock up on things but all in all i think it will return to what we remember as normal. i think americans will finally embrace the bidet, i know i love ours and am glad we had it..:) hopefully companies will allow more work at home for their employees. if possible there is no reason not to do it except for a control freak boss that thinks you need to be in the office to be productive.ii i hope to see more online schooling. seems to have been working out pretty well with my 11 year old. the thing she misses the most is the social part of it. be nice to see if she is out sick or we take her out of school for vacation she wouldn't miss a beat with online classes.. i hope to see a lot of the smaller bar/restaurants continue to do curb side pick up.. thats been working pretty well around here. DMV need to step up and figure out how to title and register vehicles online here in NJ. i'd like to see some cash only places in this area start taking cards. hell i rarely ever have cash on me...

My favorite example is sports, it's been completely stripped in all forms from the Globe. Once considered a religion by some has dissolved and people have found other things to do and have probably reconsidered many priorities in their lives. Will they still watch? Probably. Will they still feel they have to watch every game and keep up? For the most part, I think not.

i think you are way off on that one... listen to some north east sports radio and you'll clearly see that sport is alive and well. sports fans chomping at the bit for it to come back.. wait till he NFL draft this week. ratings will be through the roof and the talk the next day will be all about it. can't talk at the water cooler but they will take to facebook and calling into the radio stations.... only people that sports have a possibility of losing is the casual fan who they really don't care about anyway.. now that doesn't mean it won't take some time for stadiums to be totally full but that too will return as things get better.

NFL draft shattered all-time viewership record for first round https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...DkgcB09jAxYY7IvaQQLL8PpPru1wC1xStSnoj8zA

It's better to keep your mouth shut and give the impression that you're stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

www.MoparMisfits.com
Re: What do people think the "new normal" will be? [Re: abodyjoe] #2768027
04/25/20 09:41 AM
04/25/20 09:41 AM
Between Houston & Galveston TX
SattyNoCar Offline
Smarter than no class Flappergass by a mile
SattyNoCar  Offline

oh there have been robberies by people wearing surgical masks..

Um....hasn't this been going on pretty much for decades? work whistling

John

The dream is dead, long live the dream.......😥
Re: What do people think the "new normal" will be? [Re: SattyNoCar] #2768074
04/25/20 11:15 AM
04/25/20 11:15 AM
Prospect, PA
BSB67 Offline
master
BSB67  Offline
master

Prospect, PA
Originally Posted by Satilite73

There is some humor in the fact you have to wear a mask in the bank

Re: What do people think the "new normal" will be? [Re: BSB67] #2768078
04/25/20 11:32 AM
04/25/20 11:32 AM
SattyNoCar Offline
SattyNoCar  Offline

Originally Posted by BSB67
Originally Posted by Satilite73

There is some humor in the fact you have to wear a mask in the bank

Tongue in cheek, I was referring to the medical field........

John

The dream is dead, long live the dream.......😥
Re: What do people think the "new normal" will be? [Re: MR_P_BODY] #2768241
04/25/20 07:53 PM
04/25/20 07:53 PM
Massachusetts
Faust Offline
top fuel
Faust  Offline
top fuel

Massachusetts
Originally Posted by MR_P_BODY
And people will forget this right away... they have a sort attention span
wave
You're right! Who remembers Y2K with people building bunkers, and stockpiling food. Remember the newspaper articles of the "ethics" while your neighbors are starving and you have stockpiled food?

Re: What do people think the "new normal" will be? [Re: Faust] #2768256
04/25/20 08:22 PM
04/25/20 08:22 PM
(Central) PA
Runner2go Offline
I Live Here
Runner2go  Offline
I Live Here

(Central) PA
Originally Posted by Faust
Originally Posted by MR_P_BODY
And people will forget this right away... they have a sort attention span
wave
You're right! Who remembers Y2K with people building bunkers, and stockpiling food. Remember the newspaper articles of the "ethics" while your neighbors are starving and you have stockpiled food?

And more recent than that was the 2009 Swine Flu outbreak... when 100-200k dead was floated, then quietly put to bed. It ended up being just over 12.5k dead... no where near even 100k. It took them 2yrs to collect the final figures & realize mortality rate was pretty low. In fact more people died from swine flu THIS YEAR. But no one cares, because the new kid on the block is sucking all the air out of the room

Re: What do people think the "new normal" will be? [Re: Runner2go] #2768285
04/25/20 10:28 PM
04/25/20 10:28 PM
Walmart parking lot
yorker Offline
Drugs are bad
yorker  Offline
Drugs are bad

Walmart parking lot
I will give you some insight on the new normal. China will become our friend. They already own a lot of real estate here. They will open Factories here to employ our un employed. WE WILL work for min. wage and be proud to produce goods Here again.We will be happy to make our own Harbour Freight tools. Might even get employe discount. The current situation of Stay At Home is just the primary step in the forthcoming future. We will not need to speak Chineese, they will speak " Ingwish.
Chinese immigration will flourish so they can help establish our new workforce.
They already do that in several countries.
Slowly we will become the united states of China.
I predict a lot of this will ramp up after November. The only people here that will really care are just a few nostalgic old folks.
All that is really left is our self, memories, and photographs.

Just as this moment in time, NOTHING YOU CAN DO ABOUT IT.
All the previous post to this thread is just hopes of a Semi changed America. THINK BIG, HUGE CHANGE.
Don't get mad at me. I do not endorse it. I am only the messenger.

( SHONEN KNIFE ) MAKING THE WORLD A BETTER PLACE. ONE SONG, ONE CONCERT AT A TIME FOR OVER 36 YEARS!!
https://www.youtube.com/user/SHONENKNIFETV
Re: What do people think the "new normal" will be? [Re: yorker] #2768303
04/25/20 11:38 PM
04/25/20 11:38 PM
Phila
P
PhillyRag Online content
top fuel
PhillyRag  Online Content
top fuel
P

Phila
Originally Posted by yorker
I will give you some insight on the new normal. China will become our friend.
happening now with ppe mat'ls. Sorry I infected you, but I'm glad to give/sell you some remedy my "good friend"
They already own a lot of real estate here. They will open Factories here to employ our un employed. WE WILL work for min. wage and be proud to produce goods Here again.We will be happy to make our own Harbour Freight tools. Might even get employe discount. The current situation of Stay At Home is just the primary step in the forthcoming future. We will not need to speak Chineese, they will speak " Ingwish.
Chinese immigration will flourish so they can help establish our new workforce.
I.e. Only Chinese management (i.e. Boss)

They already do that in several countries.
For years in 3rd world, ie Africa

Slowly we will become the united states of China.
I predict a lot of this will ramp up after November. The only people here that will really care are just a few nostalgic old folks.
All that is really left is our self, memories, and photographs.

Just as this moment in time, NOTHING YOU CAN DO ABOUT IT.
All the previous post to this thread is just hopes of a Semi changed America. THINK BIG, HUGE CHANGE.
Don't get mad at me. I do not endorse it. I am only the messenger.

Reminds me of the final scene in a Terminator movie. :"There's a STORM coming" Yea; I know (with frown eyes)

Re: What do people think the "new normal" will be? [Re: PhillyRag] #2768336
04/26/20 08:20 AM
04/26/20 08:20 AM

R
RWG75
Unregistered
RWG75
Unregistered
R

To quote Pete Townshend: "Meet the new boss, Same as the old boss"

Re: What do people think the "new normal" will be? [Re: ] #2768349
04/26/20 09:33 AM
04/26/20 09:33 AM
USA
K
Kippy Offline
Kippy  Offline
K

USA
I dont think we will fully return to normal until a vaccine is in place and we have a dedicated drug to cure this virus. Until then many people will avoid crowds and wear masks. Its not all panic as some make it out to be. Unless you have been unfortunate enough to have contacted this virus and were hospitalized or have loved ones in that situation my thought is your way over the line in downplaying what we are going through.
Some of us are lucky we live in a part of the country with little exposure to this virus, some of us are not and living in the confines of NYC, I can assure any and all its no joke.
I won't be going to Carlisle this year if its still on. I wont be walking the boardwalk down the Jersey shore this summer either. If I got sick and passed it to my wife there would be a good chance she wouldn't survive, I couldn't deal with passing it to her.
I hope things open soon and those of you who got laid off or had to shut their business's, I hope you all start working soon.
Please take care of yourself and your families. Better days are coming and like everything else this will pass.

Re: What do people think the "new normal" will be? [Re: Kippy] #2768376
04/26/20 11:04 AM
04/26/20 11:04 AM
north of coder
moparx Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"
moparx  Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"

north of coder
Originally Posted by Kippy
I dont think we will fully return to normal until a vaccine is in place and we have a dedicated drug to cure this virus. Until then many people will avoid crowds and wear masks. Its not all panic as some make it out to be. Unless you have been unfortunate enough to have contacted this virus and were hospitalized or have loved ones in that situation my thought is your way over the line in downplaying what we are going through.
Some of us are lucky we live in a part of the country with little exposure to this virus, some of us are not and living in the confines of NYC, I can assure any and all its no joke.
I won't be going to Carlisle this year if its still on. I wont be walking the boardwalk down the Jersey shore this summer either. If I got sick and passed it to my wife there would be a good chance she wouldn't survive, I couldn't deal with passing it to her.
I hope things open soon and those of you who got laid off or had to shut their business's, I hope you all start working soon.
Please take care of yourself and your families. Better days are coming and like everything else this will pass.

^^^^^ i agree completely ! especially about giving it to my wife.
several swaps i really enjoy going to have been rescheduled or canceled, and i'm thinking very hard about not attending carlisle. if i don't go, that will be only three times i have missed since it started.
stay safe out there !
beer

Re: What do people think the "new normal" will be? [Re: moparx] #2768390
04/26/20 11:58 AM
04/26/20 11:58 AM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
jcc  Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
J

Bitopia
Originally Posted by moparx
Originally Posted by Kippy

^^^^^ i agree completely ! especially about giving it to my wife.
several swaps i really enjoy going to have been rescheduled or canceled, and i'm thinking very hard about not attending carlisle. if i don't go, that will be only three times i have missed since it started.
stay safe out there !
beer

I agree also.
I would have a problem giving it to anyone, especially if it was just due to seeking my own self enjoyment.
The vaccine is key here.
Those that must work, and be out and about, take your chances. many will pray for you I'm sure, everyone else, decide what yours or another's life is worth to you, and act accordingly.

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4