Greenville, PA
redraptor Offline
master
redraptor  Offline
master

Greenville, PA
Originally Posted by DAYCLONA
Originally Posted by BSharp
The new normal will be almost identical to the old normal. The question is only how long it takes to get there.

Agreed, humans are creatures of habit and conditioning...

Don't forget everyone will have a closet full of N95 masks and TP. eyes

Re: What do people think the "new normal" will be? [Re: GoodysGotaCuda] #2766191
04/20/20 06:37 AM
04/20/20 06:37 AM
Berlin, N.J.
A
abodyjoe Offline
I Live Here
abodyjoe  Offline
I Live Here
A

Berlin, N.J.
personally i think things will mostly return to normal pretty fast after its over. i'm sure some will wear masks and stock up on things but all in all i think it will return to what we remember as normal. i think americans will finally embrace the bidet, i know i love ours and am glad we had it..:) hopefully companies will allow more work at home for their employees. if possible there is no reason not to do it except for a control freak boss that thinks you need to be in the office to be productive.ii i hope to see more online schooling. seems to have been working out pretty well with my 11 year old. the thing she misses the most is the social part of it. be nice to see if she is out sick or we take her out of school for vacation she wouldn't miss a beat with online classes.. i hope to see a lot of the smaller bar/restaurants continue to do curb side pick up.. thats been working pretty well around here. DMV need to step up and figure out how to title and register vehicles online here in NJ. i'd like to see some cash only places in this area start taking cards. hell i rarely ever have cash on me...

My favorite example is sports, it's been completely stripped in all forms from the Globe. Once considered a religion by some has dissolved and people have found other things to do and have probably reconsidered many priorities in their lives. Will they still watch? Probably. Will they still feel they have to watch every game and keep up? For the most part, I think not.

i think you are way off on that one... listen to some north east sports radio and you'll clearly see that sport is alive and well. sports fans chomping at the bit for it to come back.. wait till he NFL draft this week. ratings will be through the roof and the talk the next day will be all about it. can't talk at the water cooler but they will take to facebook and calling into the radio stations.... only people that sports have a possibility of losing is the casual fan who they really don't care about anyway.. now that doesn't mean it won't take some time for stadiums to be totally full but that too will return as things get better.

Last edited by abodyjoe; 04/20/20 06:42 AM.

It's better to keep your mouth shut and give the impression that you're stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

www.MoparMisfits.com
Re: What do people think the "new normal" will be? [Re: BSharp] #2766192
04/20/20 06:58 AM
04/20/20 06:58 AM
It's a dry heat
gtx6970 Offline
Too Many Posts
gtx6970  Offline
Too Many Posts

It's a dry heat
The new normal will be almost identical to the old normal. The question is only how long it takes to get there.

This ^

Re: What do people think the "new normal" will be? [Re: gtx6970] #2766195
04/20/20 07:18 AM
04/20/20 07:18 AM
Puttin' on the foil in Charles...
not_a_charger Offline
Mr. Big Shot Moparts Moderator
not_a_charger  Offline

Originally Posted by gtx6970

This ^

I disagree, at least when it comes to working from home. Now that people have started working from home on a large scale, there's no going back. Employees are going to expect/demand to be able to work from home more frequently, or as part of their normal schedule.

Earning every penny of that moderator paycheck.

DBAP
Re: What do people think the "new normal" will be? [Re: 71TA] #2766197
04/20/20 07:40 AM
04/20/20 07:40 AM
Prospect, PA
BSB67 Offline
master
BSB67  Offline
master

Prospect, PA
Originally Posted by 71TA

Banking - Who goes into a bank anymore? The ONLY time I goto a bank is to do wire transfers. Bank said I can setup my own account so I dont even need to go in to do that. Old fashioned checks I just scan and deposit using a phone app. Invetsments, IRA's, all done online.

Banking has been changing through normal course, and will continue to do so. However, I don't think the coronavirus will cause much change regarding banking brick and mortar. In fact, people were going nuts trying to get into banks. Local banks extended hour's, kept lobbies open, and had a scary run on money. They actually put controls in place to slow the cash leaving the vaults.

It is sad how many people and small business have virtually zero cash reserve.

Re: What do people think the "new normal" will be? [Re: BSB67] #2766200
04/20/20 07:58 AM
04/20/20 07:58 AM
nowhere
S
Sniper Offline
master
Sniper  Offline
master
S

nowhere
My current normal is as it was before this clown show started.

It won't change after.

Re: What do people think the "new normal" will be? [Re: BSB67] #2766201
04/20/20 08:00 AM
04/20/20 08:00 AM
not_a_charger Offline
not_a_charger  Offline

Originally Posted by BSB67
Originally Posted by 71TA

Banking - Who goes into a bank anymore? The ONLY time I goto a bank is to do wire transfers. Bank said I can setup my own account so I dont even need to go in to do that. Old fashioned checks I just scan and deposit using a phone app. Invetsments, IRA's, all done online.

Banking has been changing through normal course, and will continue to do so. However, I don't think the coronavirus will cause much change regarding banking brick and mortar. In fact, people were going nuts trying to get into banks. Local banks extended hour's, kept lobbies open, and had a scary run on money. They actually put controls in place to slow the cash leaving the vaults.

It is sad how many people and small business have virtually zero cash reserve.

When our governor announced that he had a press conference on the SUnday he ultimately closed restaurants, etc...I had a feeling something was coming down, as he'd said previously he'd not hold a press conference until he had something to tell us. I ran out and got a hair cut, and took $500 out of the ATM. Still have $280 of it left. That was over a month ago. Most has gone either to tipping when we've done carryout, or the delivery folks, and the remainder went to my kids for doing a ton of extra chores around the house. I did not want to be caught without cash, even though most of what I spend goes on our credit card.

Last edited by not_a_charger; 04/20/20 08:00 AM.

DBAP
Re: What do people think the "new normal" will be? [Re: not_a_charger] #2766207
04/20/20 08:48 AM
04/20/20 08:48 AM
Virginia
BSharp Offline
master
BSharp  Offline
master

Virginia
I disagree, at least when it comes to working from home. Now that people have started working from home on a large scale, there's no going back. Employees are going to expect/demand to be able to work from home more frequently, or as part of their normal schedule.

They can demand all they want, but if employers don't go along it won't happen. Teleworking will probably increase naturally, but it won't be because of these current events.

Re: What do people think the "new normal" will be? [Re: MR_P_BODY] #2766209
04/20/20 08:58 AM
04/20/20 08:58 AM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
jcc  Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
J

Bitopia
Originally Posted by MR_P_BODY
And people will forget this right away... they have a sort attention span
wave

Like 2K, ozone hole, human caravans, unintended acceleration, HIV, eggs, etc? eyes

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: What do people think the "new normal" will be? [Re: BSharp] #2766222
04/20/20 09:44 AM
04/20/20 09:44 AM
not_a_charger Offline
not_a_charger  Offline

They can demand all they want, but if employers don't go along it won't happen. Teleworking will probably increase naturally, but it won't be because of these current events.

It's these current events that have opened the door, and forced all of the control hungry micromanagers out there to let people work from home where possible/applicable. Those who were vehemently opposed to allowing their folks to do so would've put it off as long as possible had this not happened.

DBAP
Re: What do people think the "new normal" will be? [Re: not_a_charger] #2766226
04/20/20 10:08 AM
04/20/20 10:08 AM
Virginia
BSharp Offline
master
BSharp  Offline
master

Virginia
I can't work from home, but I'm all for it because for every person who does, there's one less car on I95 for my commute. But those micromanagers will want their underlings back under their thumbs as soon as possible.

Re: What do people think the "new normal" will be? [Re: BSharp] #2766227
04/20/20 10:14 AM
04/20/20 10:14 AM
not_a_charger Offline
not_a_charger  Offline

Agreed, and in a small business, they will have the final say. In a medium or large-sized company, the workers are going to have a lot more leverage, because working from home was already an increasing trend, and this is going to accelerate it. If a company was allowing it before, but certain managers within were not, those managers are no longer going to have any good reason to be the outliers/holdouts. We're already seeing it here, and it's actually quite funny to watch the panicked realization sink in with those folks.

DBAP
Re: What do people think the "new normal" will be? [Re: not_a_charger] #2766231
04/20/20 10:22 AM
04/20/20 10:22 AM
Virginia
BSharp Offline
master
BSharp  Offline
master

Virginia
I hope it works out well for your company. Nothing like doing risk assessments in Superman PJs, eh?

(No sarcasm intended. wave You've been very generous with sound insurance information here.)

Re: What do people think the "new normal" will be? [Re: BSharp] #2766235
04/20/20 10:38 AM
04/20/20 10:38 AM
Bloomington, IN
H
HoosierTA Offline
master
HoosierTA  Offline
master
H

Bloomington, IN

Precisely. The next question, is will US citizens tolerate what was asked of them this time. Not likely. The pretext was to keep hospitals from being overwhelmed, because they were unprepared. No excuse next time.

Too many people won't go with the program, and the people who are taking financial blow, won't be able to- Keep operating until they are shut down, because they won't be able to stay afloat.

'70 Challenger R/T 383
'16 Hemi Durango SSV (work vehicle)
'15 Ram Police SSV
Re: What do people think the "new normal" will be? [Re: Guitar Jones] #2766236
04/20/20 10:44 AM
04/20/20 10:44 AM

R
RWG75
Unregistered
RWG75
Unregistered
R

Originally Posted by Guitar Jones
I don't think much will change around here. Self isolation isn't anything new here, it's a way of life.

Ya know, I was wrong when I said it was too late to bug out for yer country home. Glad to see you embarrassed the point.

Re: What do people think the "new normal" will be? [Re: HoosierTA] #2766238
04/20/20 10:45 AM
04/20/20 10:45 AM
Salem
Grizzly Offline
Moparts Proctologist
Grizzly  Offline
Moparts Proctologist

Salem
The new normal will be another piece of our freedom taken from us: The new normal will have more questions on travel, and new tracking snuck into smartphones.

Mo' Farts

Moderated by "tbagger".
Re: What do people think the "new normal" will be? [Re: Grizzly] #2766239
04/20/20 10:52 AM
04/20/20 10:52 AM
CO
R
Redbird Offline
super stock
Redbird  Offline
super stock
R

CO
The virus does not care if you are a good or bad person. It does not care about any thing you feel.

It only reacts if you are available.

Re: What do people think the "new normal" will be? [Re: not_a_charger] #2766245
04/20/20 11:21 AM
04/20/20 11:21 AM

R
RWG75
Unregistered
RWG75
Unregistered
R

Originally Posted by not_a_charger
Originally Posted by gtx6970

This ^

Here's the over / under on that and pardon while I repeat: worked for the OEM that invented it.

For it to be normal it needs to be the companies idea and it needs to make economic sense. IF the current work at home workforce did what many of them I know did - ordered a truck load of groceries, cobbled a work space (nice job at networks w/ green screen) and took advantage of the benefits to improve productivity - then the company can easily say the cost of the technology is less than the cost of the real estate and the time.

On the under side if productivity and quality declined after VPN deployed because of bottom dwellers and pointless middle management, then no you've just made IT's argument for them - you can't trust the user. If the work at home force was a large enough percentage of the company then you've got access to data on all of it plus business continuation planning points which was a boom market post 911.

I mean let's try this: let's say the twin towers are still there but they're empty. Everybody that should be hunkered in to a cubical is now hunkered under the stairs in a green screen suit and business is continuing. It's the answer that the post 911 world never arrived at. One of the great failures of the attack was the belief that a building mattered. In the economic sense it absolutely didn't because the data of the enterprise was already distributed. There is no such thing has attacking the ONE thing. A lot of commerce was done and a lot more was done consciously and dove tailed with natural disaster but asked the wrong question: when this office closes for plague, meteor, blizzard, what office is our rally point?

The answer should have been we don't need an office, meet me under the stairs. I bet the delivery drivers that aren't dealing with 4 wheelers are loving these times. The 911 world didn't have a fiber back bone. It got installed for xbox. We can do better things with it. I was much more useful to several companies when WAH vs not in the dark days and it worked. Oh, btw, this was my wall paper cus my boss said winsheild time:

winsheild_time.JPG
Re: What do people think the "new normal" will be? [Re: ] #2766246
04/20/20 11:23 AM
04/20/20 11:23 AM
Eagle, Idaho
Neil Offline
The Doctor is in.
Neil  Offline
The Doctor is in.

Eagle, Idaho
First time a bank or convenience store gets robbed by someone wearing a corona mask that will be the end of those.

Re: What do people think the "new normal" will be? [Re: ] #2766251
04/20/20 11:31 AM
04/20/20 11:31 AM
not_a_charger Offline
not_a_charger  Offline

On the under side if productivity and quality declined after VPN deployed because of bottom dwellers and pointless middle management, then no you've just made IT's argument for them - you can't trust the user. If the work at home force was a large enough percentage of the company then you've got access to data on all of it plus business continuation planning points which was a boom market post 911.

100% agree there. Regarding that info, the questions becomes whether or not companies/managers drill down to each individual contributor's performance, or do they just look a the performance of the group/department in question overall? My suspicion is that many will do the latter.

DBAP
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4