Lower AZ
AZ-Nick Offline
Here Since 1996!
AZ-Nick  Offline
Here Since 1996!

Lower AZ
Quote:

Quote:

Incase you are going to buy a 4sp cam from Bob, I have a new one that I bought from him still in the box that I am willing to sell. It is for adjustable valve train.

What's the difference between a "4sp" cam and an "auto" cam? And, by adjustable valve train, are you saying your "4sp" cam is a solid, instead of the factory-type hydraulic cam?

yes it is a solid cam.
you ask what it the difference, heck if I know, i told him what I had and he said I will grind you up a cam for a 4sp and solid lifters.... You know how bob is, secretive nice guy but, when it comes to his cams, you cant get any info from him.

Re: Looking For Mr. Six Pack Cam Information [Re: AZ-Nick] #32539
12/19/06 10:01 PM
12/19/06 10:01 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

You know how bob is, secretive nice guy but, when it comes to his cams, you cant get any info from him.

What a joke!!! That's his way of saying that he doesn't think his customers are smart enough to use a degree wheel and dial indicator to figure out what the cam specs are...........Gimme a break........

Re: Looking For Mr. Six Pack Cam Information #32540
12/20/06 07:37 AM
12/20/06 07:37 AM
B
Beeware Offline
enthusiast
Beeware  Offline
enthusiast
B

Wayne/Big Squeeze

You couldnt be more wrong!!! Bob K is one of the finest people I have ever met! He would NEVER disrespect anybody customers or not. IMHO I dont think there are many people that have done as much for us Big Block mopar people as Bob has! Ever read a Direct Connection/Mopar Performance engine manuel way back in the late 70's /80's?(Sorry Bob not poking at your age) Guess who did much of the testing on the Mopar camshafts, that would be Bob, have you read any of the 13second/12/second/11 second packages in the DC manuels? Guess who did the testing? Thats right that would be Bob. I know we've talked at a Fast/purestock race before so you have been there how many of the guys do you think hes helped there? Most of the Mopar people in both Fast and Purestock either with suspention or engine sugestions when asked! Do you know how many Tune-ups, carb adjustments/rebuilds, timming adjustments hes done at the race setting aside his own car to help somebody else? More than I can count! Do you know how many people hes walked throught a carb rebuild or dist recurve, or even degreeing a camshaft on the phone???? More than I can count! Do you know how many housecalls hes made in the Detroit area helping somebody whos having an issue with a Mopar? More than you would believe!

Wayne, when somebody purchases a cam from Bob he gives suggestions on where he thinks cam should be installed (degreeing), lifter preload amount, timming sugestions, dist recurving and rate of advance. and even jetting sugestions, does comp cams, engle, crane,crower, or any of the other cam manufactures go this far? Can you blame him for not wanting to publish his specks on the net so guys can try to duplacate his cam for 39.95 and just remember this cam has been installed and track tested from 10deg advanced to 10 deg retarded and with numerious diffrent timming curves. Remember, Track tested, not just a suggestion or guess that came off desktop dyno or engine analsys program, its not a guess,cold hard numbers and ET slips, not B.S or I think I can come up with a good guess!

Most of if not all of the 12 second 440's running in purestock are running Bobs cam many are on this board, that speaks VOLUMES!!!

When you make a comment like the one above you should know the man first!!!

..........Paul M Petcou

Spellings a mess sorry, oh yes I'm the guy that was walked through a cam degreeing over the phone once upon a time,and yes he taught me the specks through the degree wheel and dial indacator!Thanks Bob

Re: Looking For Mr. Six Pack Cam Information [Re: Beeware] #32541
12/20/06 09:32 AM
12/20/06 09:32 AM
NJ-USA
H
HPMike Offline
master
HPMike  Offline
master
H

NJ-USA
Quote:

Wayne/Big Squeeze

You couldnt be more wrong!!! Bob K is one of the finest people I have ever met! He would NEVER disrespect anybody customers or not. IMHO I dont think there are many people that have done as much for us Big Block mopar people as Bob has! Ever read a Direct Connection/Mopar Performance engine manuel way back in the late 70's /80's?(Sorry Bob not poking at your age) Guess who did much of the testing on the Mopar camshafts, that would be Bob, have you read any of the 13second/12/second/11 second packages in the DC manuels? Guess who did the testing? Thats right that would be Bob. I know we've talked at a Fast/purestock race before so you have been there how many of the guys do you think hes helped there? Most of the Mopar people in both Fast and Purestock either with suspention or engine sugestions when asked! Do you know how many Tune-ups, carb adjustments/rebuilds, timming adjustments hes done at the race setting aside his own car to help somebody else? More than I can count! Do you know how many people hes walked throught a carb rebuild or dist recurve, or even degreeing a camshaft on the phone???? More than I can count! Do you know how many housecalls hes made in the Detroit area helping somebody whos having an issue with a Mopar? More than you would believe!

Wayne, when somebody purchases a cam from Bob he gives suggestions on where he thinks cam should be installed (degreeing), lifter preload amount, timming sugestions, dist recurving and rate of advance. and even jetting sugestions, does comp cams, engle, crane,crower, or any of the other cam manufactures go this far? Can you blame him for not wanting to publish his specks on the net so guys can try to duplacate his cam for 39.95 and just remember this cam has been installed and track tested from 10deg advanced to 10 deg retarded and with numerious diffrent timming curves. Remember, Track tested, not just a suggestion or guess that came off desktop dyno or engine analsys program, its not a guess,cold hard numbers and ET slips, not B.S or I think I can come up with a good guess!

Most of if not all of the 12 second 440's running in purestock are running Bobs cam many are on this board, that speaks VOLUMES!!!

..........Paul M Petcou

Spellings a mess sorry, oh yes I'm the guy that was walked through a cam degreeing over the phone once upon a time,and yes he taught me the specks through the degree wheel and dial indacator!Thanks Bob

Paul

You are so correct, the guy is an asset to the hobby and a genuine nice guy. Having the opportunity to meet Bob in person, after numerous friendly phone conversations in the past, you are correct he honestly wants to help people with their projects and does so without attitude.

Mike

Re: Looking For Mr. Six Pack Cam Information [Re: HPMike] #32542
12/20/06 09:41 AM
12/20/06 09:41 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Re: Looking For Mr. Six Pack Cam Information #32543
12/20/06 10:43 AM
12/20/06 10:43 AM
Texas
dannysbee Offline
master
dannysbee  Offline
master

Texas
I knew that one was coming. Bob K's a great guy and he's definately payed his dues.

Getting old just means you were smarter than some and luckier than others.
Re: Looking For Mr. Six Pack Cam Information [Re: dannysbee] #32544
12/20/06 11:54 AM
12/20/06 11:54 AM
Phila Pa
S
scatpacktom Offline
master
scatpacktom  Offline
master
S

Phila Pa

Re: Looking For Mr. Six Pack Cam Information [Re: scatpacktom] #32545
12/20/06 02:08 PM
12/20/06 02:08 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

That's cool......I never said that he's a bad guy........ ......and I never said that is was a bad design........It's just EXTREMELY silly to me that he would sell a cam and not give the specs......... It's a stock lift cam with the duration changed a little......Big deal......

The point is that with a degree wheel and a dial indicator, anyone can figure it out........so why make such a big deal out of it? It's not VOODOO.....It gives the impression that he's arrogant.........and for that reason, I wouldn't walk across the street to pee on one

It's funny that you mention that the "Pure Stockers" run his cam.... The fact is, there is absolutely no reason to run his cam unless you're trying to slip by Pure Stock tech....There are much better grinds out there that will make more power and idle just as smooth.....

Hey Tommy........It's nice to see that you're replying to something I post.......

Re: Looking For Mr. Six Pack Cam Information [Re: Beeware] #32546
12/20/06 02:42 PM
12/20/06 02:42 PM
THE MOTOR CITY!
Hillbilly_Kidd Offline
Hillbilly_Kidd  Offline

THE MOTOR CITY!
Paul you could'nt be more right about Bob and I will tell everyone else on this thread what kinda guy Bob is. First off im a decent mechanic but not nearly as knowledgable as Bob and I would bet not to many of you are either or have the track time and experience. And im not talking about sitting on a stupid computer, internet racing and talking about what you can or what you have done, im talking about spending countless hours and years some more than some of your ages at a dragstip trying different combinations and constantly trying to improve. When I met Bob a few years ago I had only known him for maybe 3 months tops and I decided to remove my headers and big cam and install one of his cams thanks to Paul who I had just met at a local track. Anyways I purchased one of his cams and after many phone conversasions at home and at his work " oh and im sure he get's plenty from many of you because Ive seen his number posted here before. Well anyways I was having problems with the install and other issues due to a bad timing gear set, well I was'nt able to fix the problem so Bob decided that he would come to my house and help me out and I live about 50 miles from his house. Well after about 4 hours and burning the midnight oil we were done. Oh ya and he wouldnt even except any money I had to buy him and his wife a gift certificate for dinner. So I guess what im trying to say is that if a stupid cam spec makes you not want to buy one of his cams "don't buy it" it's probally not for you anyway. And as far as the so called idiots who don't know how to degree a cam in or spec one out, I guess some people are better at some things than others. I personally suck at grammer as you can tell from this post but im not really concerned because it's going to be my last one anyways.

later

Last edited by Hillbilly_Kidd; 12/20/06 08:53 PM.
Re: Looking For Mr. Six Pack Cam Information #32547
12/20/06 04:23 PM
12/20/06 04:23 PM
Val-haul-ass... eventually
B
BradH Offline
Taking time off to work on my car
BradH  Offline
B

Quote:

...There are much better grinds out there that will make more power and idle just as smooth.....

Such as? No sarcasm here, just interested in what you would suggest.

Re: Looking For Mr. Six Pack Cam Information #32548
12/20/06 06:26 PM
12/20/06 06:26 PM
B
Beeware Offline
enthusiast
Beeware  Offline
enthusiast
B

Wayne,

The Mr Six Pack Cam is the closest I've found to the orignal low taper six pack cam that Mopar made for us in 69, its not just lift and duration, there was a diffrent lobe used on this cam, all of the current blueprint cams that I've checked are not ground on this lobe even the one marketed by Mopar and yes I have track tested, it does rev a little higher and throttle a little faster and the midrange is stronger than the over the counter generic blueprints that I've used.

This cam is best suited for stock through the manifolds,unported cylinder head engines. I'm sure theres much better choices for Fast cars or engines with mods such as porting, stroking and headers and or other mods. Its not the Be all end all of camshafts, but for street driving mild mannors unbelievable low end and midrange,track 60 fts and midrange and ets its the best I've found or used, again on stock or blueprinted engines.Remember Mopar made the A12 package as a street car, stop light to stoplight and they work they leave hard and walk fast down low and in the middle, thats what this cam is.

Wayne, you have in the past mentioned that Bobs cam is overrated and now again you mention there is better cams for power and idle, If you grind one up track test it, make it purestock legal, I will be your first customer, I will buy it without a camcard or specks I will check it to make sure its legal and if it is and does run better and Et better then I will use it post it and pass it along,I'd bet that Bob would run it and endorse it also. Were all looking for the IT, so Please grind it and test it and then let me know where to send you the money. Thanks Wayne

Paul M Petcou

MR Tom Cannon,

You IMHO are running a tight second to helping people and trackside tune-ups, Its guys like you that are a true asset to the Hobby, I'll never forget when we met I was testing dist curvs at a Purestock race and the dist was going in and out to test and you walked up and offered me your Dist machine that was in your trailer while you were in the process of rebuilding somebody elses carbs!! I'll never forget it!Thanks Tom!!! enjoyed the company and the conversations this year.
Hey Jim, stick around, between you and Tom and Joel we need the guys around here that are yanking the gears........Paul

Re: Looking For Mr. Six Pack Cam Information [Re: Beeware] #32549
12/20/06 06:50 PM
12/20/06 06:50 PM
Phila Pa
S
scatpacktom Offline
master
scatpacktom  Offline
master
S

Phila Pa
Thanks Paul.That really means alot.I try to help where I can.I believe what comes around goes around.In most cases I'm the one who requires help.I'm amazed at how many guys are willing to help out.Give away what they have paid for and learned for free.It's cool how some things come full circle.

I look forward to next year Paul.I'm working on something that will rank a little better than the Cuda.Look out

Re: Looking For Mr. Six Pack Cam Information [Re: HPMike] #32550
12/20/06 08:45 PM
12/20/06 08:45 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Quote:

Wayne/Big Squeeze

..........Paul M Petcou

Paul

You are so correct, the guy is an asset to the hobby and a genuine nice guy. Having the opportunity to meet Bob in person, after numerous friendly phone conversations in the past, you are correct he honestly wants to help people with their projects and does so without attitude.

Mike

Couldn't have said it better myself.I couldn't be happier with my Mr 6Pack cam choice.Bob helped me out over the phone on a few occasions.He is Mr 6 Pack you know!

Re: Looking For Mr. Six Pack Cam Information [Re: Scatransit] #32551
12/20/06 09:11 PM
12/20/06 09:11 PM
Detroit
Kidsixpack Offline
master
Kidsixpack  Offline
master

Detroit
Wayne
I have to put in my here also. Bob has done more to promote the use of these cars and the Muscle Car hobby than anyone I know personally! He is always willing to help get thing running right on anybodys car with or without his cam in it! He has more seat time at the track than anyone I know and has spent a lifetime in his Six Pack car. Without Bob the Six Pack cars would not be as competitive in the Pure Stocks as they are. I don't know anyone that isn't running one. Furthermore all the money and time that he has spent (over the last 20 years)has perfected the cam for our needs. In the long run that saves us a ton of time and money. As a person and as a car guy Bob is truley one of the best in this hobby! Heck my wife even likes hanging out with Bob!
Good Luck finding your next F6 car!
KIDSIXPACK

Re: Looking For Mr. Six Pack Cam Information [Re: Beeware] #32552
12/20/06 10:47 PM
12/20/06 10:47 PM
B
BradH Offline
BradH  Offline
B

Quote:

The Mr Six Pack Cam is the closest I've found to the orignal low taper six pack cam that Mopar made for us in 69, its not just lift and duration, there was a diffrent lobe used on this cam, all of the current blueprint cams that I've checked are not ground on this lobe even the one marketed by Mopar...

Does this mean you have measured the lobe profiles of an original OEM A12 cam and compared them to Bob's cam and the other "restoration" cams currently being produced?

Re: Looking For Mr. Six Pack Cam Information [Re: BradH] #32553
12/20/06 11:15 PM
12/20/06 11:15 PM
Warrenton, VA
RoadRunnerJD Offline
master
RoadRunnerJD  Offline
master

Warrenton, VA
Crane is making a flat tapered cam. My question is can I use their lifters with an original used A12 cam? The other question is can I use the original lifters even if they are not back on the same lobe? The person who first took mine apart saved everything but did not number the lifters.

Re: Looking For Mr. Six Pack Cam Information [Re: RoadRunnerJD] #32554
12/21/06 12:16 AM
12/21/06 12:16 AM
B
BradH Offline
BradH  Offline
B

Quote:

Crane is making a flat tapered cam. My question is can I use their lifters with an original used A12 cam? The other question is can I use the original lifters even if they are not back on the same lobe? The person who first took mine apart saved everything but did not number the lifters.

John, after you mentioned this to me previously I looked into it: Crane is not making any cams w/ the special low-taper design like was used w/ the A12 cams. They have developed some new "flat-face" hydraulic profiles, but they still use the same taper as what's normal for other hydraulic these days.

Re: the possibility of re-using the original low-taper lifters for your original cam on the wrong lobes... Well, I wouldn't chance it, to be blunt. You can only break in the cam / lifter interface once.

Re: Looking For Mr. Six Pack Cam Information [Re: BradH] #32555
12/21/06 07:24 PM
12/21/06 07:24 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Paul,

I'll be the first to tell you that I'm a long way from being a camshaft expert......but I do understand the basics......unlike the majority of people on this board (which is fine, that's what this board is for).......and even I wouldn't recommend a camshaft to anyone......but if I were going to, it wouldn't be a hydraulic.......

I never said that there's a better cam for Pure Stock....I said, and I quote myself;

Quote:

The fact is, there is absolutely no reason to run his cam unless you're trying to slip by Pure Stock tech....There are much better grinds out there that will make more power and idle just as smooth.....

That means, sure, it's a great cam for someone that wants to pass Pure Stock, but it appears to me that the guy that started this thread is not building a car to be competitive at the Pure Stocks, so what I'm getting at is, if you call Porter or Scot at Straightline and tell them you've got a bone stock or blue printed motor (and you're not trying to be competitive at the Pure Stock races), they're not going to recommend a repro cam or even anything with stock lift........So why are all these people recommending the Mr. Six Pack cam to people with relatively stock motors when they don't even know the specs and probably know very little about camshafts anyway???

I didn't mean to sound like I was bashing Bob, I've met him too and his always been nice..... I'm just having a hard time getting past the reasoning behind not giving the specs when anyone like you and Tom can figure it out anyway......

PS......Does anyone have one that they can send me so I can measure it and post the numbers so we can get past all this???

Re: Looking For Mr. Six Pack Cam Information #32556
12/21/06 09:05 PM
12/21/06 09:05 PM
Detroit
Kidsixpack Offline
master
Kidsixpack  Offline
master

Detroit
Wayne

Bob's cam has been measured and I'm sure duplicated by people; however out of respect for the man who has put countless hours in researching to find the best set up, it has never been posted!

Why don't you just buy a bunch of blanks and start your own research? It shouln't take you too long or cost you too much of your own money. Besides yours will probably be better and we can all buy one from you.
Anyone want to send Wayne a cam?

Wayne
KIDSIXPACK

Re: Looking For Mr. Six Pack Cam Information [Re: Kidsixpack] #32557
12/22/06 12:01 AM
12/22/06 12:01 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Wayne

Ouch........I wouldn't post the numbers......on that I'm just a little .....I'm not really interested in the numbers since I don't have a need for a cam that passes Pure Stock tech..... I'd just like to see people look outside the "Mr. Six Pack cam" box when it comes to a camshaft for something other than a Pure Stocker......even if the motor is relatively pure stock...

Just curious, has anyone done an accurate, unbiased, back to back test with that cam and a repro? If so, how many MPH was it worth?

To reiterate, I hope you guys understand that I'm in no way knocking Bob's character .......I'm just trying to make a point. I did say that by doing what he does gives me the impression of him being arrogant, but I'm not calling him arrogant, and honestly, there's nothing wrong with being a little arrogant if you've accomplished as much as he has......

Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8