04/05/20 03:15 PM
(Central) PA
Runner2go Offline OP
I Live Here
Runner2go  Offline OP
I Live Here

(Central) PA
Originally Posted by larrymopar360
No matter what the Police do, there will always be those who condemn their actions, for various reasons. It's also so easy to decide to be an expert, and make things seem so simple without any training or experience, and arm chair quarterback.

I am now leaving this thread because it's becoming yet another bash law enforcement thread, and they get tiresome.

I support the local cops around here & most of what the Staties do...
But going out of their way to use speeding & window tinting as an EXCUSE to pull people over to hand out a newly invented "Lockdown" fine... where they themselves are actually the likely transmitter of germs from one car to another... is NOT one of them... And I know they are just following orders from the idiot at the top of the PA food chain. At least it's becoming pretty clear that the lawyers are licking there lips again around here... they have been having a field day the last 3weeks, with his choices

1966 383, 4-sp Charger 38yrs
1970 440+6, 4-sp Road Runner 36yrs
1974 360, auto Challenger 25yrs,in Family 41yrs
2003 Ram 2500 QCLB 4x4 Cummins HO
2010 5.7L R/T 6sp Challenger - Mopar10
2018 392 Daytona Charger
Re: PA State Cops must have missed March $$ target [Re: Runner2go] #2760623
04/06/20 07:37 AM
04/06/20 07:37 AM

R
RWG75
Unregistered
RWG75
Unregistered
R

Originally Posted by Runner2go

As to pulling people over to fine them for quarantine violations, using speeding & window tint as an excuse... flame
They are exposing themselves and everyone they pull over, to significantly higher risk than leaving them alone.
If they actually cared about "health" over $$... they would stage themselves at stores where people show up with the whole family.

In the link you posted the lawyer asserted that the cop has no right to ask where you're going or why you're going there. The conclusion I jump to from that is they have no legal authority to stand in front of wal mart and ask what you're shopping for. The catch being the bit about allowable travel under the current stay at home order and some implied right to question you about it. As for the ol yer tail light is out thing, nothing new about that. As the lawyer points out they need a reason to pull you over and a blown bulb is as good as any. It's also tough to argue in front of the judge unless ya can get them to produce the dash cam footage.

As for "bash the cops threads", hey sometimes they earn a bashing. A few winters back a couple people traded paint in front of me on a snow covered road. One turned around a took off, the other one took a picture of my licence plate as I drove by. Had a statie knock on my door and hassle me about it threatening a hit and run ticket. Ok, routine investigation but where does he get the stones to call me liar when I said it wasn't me? How is the word of the clown that caused the accident more reliable than mine? Why are you still talking to me after we walked around my truck and you couldn't find one scratch? Yes, the conversation did end with a ticket.

Re: PA State Cops must have missed March $$ target [Re: ] #2760644
04/06/20 08:59 AM
04/06/20 08:59 AM
Ontario, Canada
S
Stanton Offline
Don't question me!
Stanton  Offline
Don't question me!
S

Ontario, Canada
They'd also tell me to take every ticket to court... sometimes a cop might be busy and not show,,, and if he does, plead to (I forget the exact wording, only the Wife every had to use it) something along the lines of "Failure to adhere/comply/something with Traffic control device"... You'd still get the fine, and they get their money(all they care about), but you don't get any points... in PA anyway.

I learned a lesson about fighting a ticket ... On the ticket it asks if you want your day in court - check the "yes" box. BUT, you can greatly increase your odds if you check the box to get a copy of the officer's notes. If they fail to provide their notes that will require the court to at least delay you case. Of they will just dismiss it OR offer you a settlement. My advice, take the settlement of a lesser charge and fine. Usually when you have your day in court the public defender will ask all those in attendance if anyone wants to plead to a lesser charge. The point being not to waste everyone's time with sob stories. Again, my advice is take the deal. Most people that try to actually argue their case in front of a judge get tongue-tied and flustered and end up losing their case. And you can't argue with a cop who's lied or falsified his notes !!

Re: PA State Cops must have missed March $$ target [Re: ] #2760645
04/06/20 09:00 AM
04/06/20 09:00 AM
Hunt Valley, Maryland
1fastrunner Offline
top fuel
1fastrunner  Offline
top fuel

Hunt Valley, Maryland
I got pulled over (in Maryland) on my way to work one morning. The officer asked for my paperwork and went back to his car without saying anything about why he pulled me over. He came back to my car with a slip of paper. He told me one of my tail lights wasn't working and is wasn't required to be repaired, but that I should get it looked at. It was broad daylight and my tail lights weren't even on. I want to question this, but he already made me late for work for no apparent reason.

Re: PA State Cops must have missed March $$ target [Re: A727Tflite] #2760657
04/06/20 09:55 AM
04/06/20 09:55 AM
St. Louis, Missouri area
Cometstorm Offline
"Beat It"
Cometstorm  Offline
"Beat It"

St. Louis, Missouri area
Originally Posted by Transman
Originally Posted by Cometstorm
Originally Posted by Transman
Runnertogo, look up cosine effect for tragic radar. That cop catches someone going let’s be say 70, with a steep angle like you mention, the driver is actually traveling faster. He gets a break if the radar showed 70, he was actually going faster.

As for accuracy, traffic radar is accurate. As long as the operator is trained and uses it correctly.

Traffic radar class - you spend more time in class learning all the anomalies and how to prevent them.

You know your stuff! up

Former State certified (Missouri) police Radar instructor here...

I always instructed my police students that I’d rather see focused enforcement in accident prone areas, vs a hundred tickets where there hasn’t been in accident in years.

I called the latter “Guppy Shooting.” And I despise it.

I was radar certified back in 1983. I’m sure you are familiar with the 80 mph tree. My certification got me out of no less than three bogus tickets by fellow officers that had an active speeder but picked the wrong car. One judge was particularly amused when I asked the officer a few equipment questions and my vehicle placement questions that he had no answer for.

I never hid my scout, I was always in plain view. I figured if you didn’t see my black and white you wouldn’t have seen a kid run in the street. I never wrote unless it was at least 10 over.

You and I are REALLY on the same page! up

My speed tolerance was generally 15 mph on open interstates, 12 on more congested interstates, 12 on general county/municipal thoroughfares, 7 in highly residential areas. I say generally because other factors (i. e: accident rates in area) may factor in.

On another note, in the past number of years my wife got stopped three times:

1) Tailgating, received warning. I asked if she got officer’s name. She said “no.” I said you’re lucky, I’d have called him and told him to write you up BIGTIME if caught again.

2) interstate speeding, received ticket. I asked if she was speeding, she said yes: Ticket paid.

3) Speeding in construction zone (A Sunday, in an area where ALL construction was completed, and it was now a wide open four lane roadway: not even any houses, businesses, or conflicts in the area.

Worse case of “guppy shooting” I ever saw. She was written for 37 in 20 which would have led halfway to suspension via points as it was a “construction zone.” And a HUGE fine; $500 I think?

I was furious and spent a week plus compiling a case.

My file was huge! Had access to my own radar (Corporate Security). Did multiple 85 percentile surveys: results were 52 MPH!

A long list of other things: construction signs not in State compliance, or knocked over, blocked by tree branches, yada yada.

There was a host of other issues as well (written ordinances not updated, etc).

Wife was to call me as an expert witness, and my eyes were seeing red.

We also requested that the county court be prepared for approx three hours of defense testimony.

Submitted all this to the county prosecutor’s office. Dang thing got dismissed pre-trial and without comment. mad

For he record, most departments (especially the mid sized to smaller ones) do. NOT have their radars routinely calibrated, if at all.

Nor their speedometers ( for pacing).

I’ve still got our copy of the huge file on hand.

Makes for great discussion when we have company over! beer

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3