04/04/20 10:35 PM
04/04/20 10:35 PM
Warren, MI
71TA Offline OP
I Live Here
71TA  Offline OP
I Live Here

Warren, MI

My daughters friend, who is the daughter of a car buddy and who i introduced my daughter to, has been a PA for a few years. She left Detroit to go work in NYC to help with pandemic there. They are so short staffed they are paying her THIRTEEN THOUSAND DOLLARS a week to be there. A crazy amount but then how do you put a price on something like this.

My daughters friend has been sending updates. Heres a screen shot of the latest one. GRIM.

IMG_8637.jpg

www.DetroitMuscleTechnologies.com Mopar body and heater box restoration gaskets
Re: May daughter is graduating as a PA, now Covid [Re: 71TA] #2760207
04/04/20 11:05 PM
04/04/20 11:05 PM
Texas
GoodysGotaCuda Offline
5.7L Hemi, 6spd
GoodysGotaCuda  Offline
5.7L Hemi, 6spd

Texas
Horrible, I just hope they get the local and Federal support they need.

There are still states that do not have stay-at-home orders in place yet. It's like the Katrina response all over again, just Nationwide.

Are medical professionals are being sent to the front lines without a firearm and have nothing to support their family if they are killed in action. This will change the course of our medical system.

1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi, T56 Magnum 6spd - https://www.facebook.com/GoodysGotaHemi
2020 RAM 1500
[img]https://i.imgur.com/v9yezP9.jpg[/img]
Re: May daughter is graduating as a PA, now Covid [Re: GoodysGotaCuda] #2760253
04/05/20 07:49 AM
04/05/20 07:49 AM
Abilene, Texas
F
fastmark Offline
master
fastmark  Offline
master
F

Abilene, Texas
My daughter is a PA. She worked in neurosurgery. She just turned thirty. She and her husband own a chiropractor business in San Antonio. She just had my first grand baby. They are still in business right now. It’s not as bad down here in Texas. Several of her friends are going because they need help so bad. She said she would go if not for her new baby. I’m glad for the new baby. I don’t think I would like her to go. Those medical workers are the heroes and very overworked. God bless them.

Re: May daughter is graduating as a PA, now Covid [Re: 71TA] #2760311
04/05/20 10:40 AM
04/05/20 10:40 AM
Benton, IL.
D
DaveRS23 Offline
Special needs idiot
DaveRS23  Offline
Special needs idiot
D

Benton, IL.
A little perspective is in order. For certain individuals, this virus is a very real threat. But for healthy folks under about 54 years old with access to medical treatment, the fatality rate appears to be under 1%. In some studies, as low as .6%. Other Coronaviruses such as SARS have had a much higher mortality rate. The real issue is protecting and treating those who are at most risk of severe reactions to this. But for the vast majority of us, it is nothing more than a cold.

The following is not the only source of this information. Other reliable sources report similar rates.

https://www.livescience.com/is-coronavirus-deadly.html

Master, again and still
Re: May daughter is graduating as a PA, now Covid [Re: DaveRS23] #2760366
04/05/20 12:40 PM
04/05/20 12:40 PM
in a cattle trailer down by th...
G
Guitar Jones Offline
Paddle faster! I hear banjo music!
Guitar Jones  Offline
G

Originally Posted by DaveRS23
A little perspective is in order. For certain individuals, this virus is a very real threat. But for healthy folks under about 54 years old with access to medical treatment, the fatality rate appears to be under 1%. In some studies, as low as .6%. Other Coronaviruses such as SARS have had a much higher mortality rate. The real issue is protecting and treating those who are at most risk of severe reactions to this. But for the vast majority of us, it is nothing more than a cold.

The following is not the only source of this information. Other reliable sources report similar rates.

While what you write is true the way I see it the real problem with this virus is how easily it is transmitted with a rate somewhere around 3X what the flu or other Corona viruses were transmitted. And that is the crux of the problem. With the ability to infect probably nearly the entire world population the mortality rate could be something like the human race has never seen before. Just look at how fast this has spread world wide. I know some believe this to be over blown but just think where we might be right now if none of these measures were taken. Think about it.

"Follow me the wise man said, but he walked behind"

'92 D250 Club Cab CTD, 47RH conversion, pump tweaks, injectors, rear disc and hydroboost conversion.
'74 W200 Crew Cab 360, NV4500, D44, D60 and NP205 divorced transfer case. Rear disc and hydroboost coming soon!
2019 1500 Long Horn Crew Cab 4WD, 5.7 Hemi.
Re: May daughter is graduating as a PA, now Covid [Re: Guitar Jones] #2760370
04/05/20 12:44 PM
04/05/20 12:44 PM
Oregon
hooziewhatsit Offline
master
hooziewhatsit  Offline
master

Oregon
Originally Posted by Guitar Jones

While what you write is true the way I see it the real problem with this virus is how easily it is transmitted with a rate somewhere around 3X what the flu or other Corona viruses were transmitted. And that is the crux of the problem. With the ability to infect probably nearly the entire world population the mortality rate could be something like the human race has never seen before. Just look at how fast this has spread world wide. I know some believe this to be over blown but just think where we might be right now if none of these measures were taken. Think about it.

iagree 1% doesn't sound bad, until you apply it to 300 million people... This virus hit the sweet spot of highly contagious and a relatively high mortality rate.

If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.
Re: May daughter is graduating as a PA, now Covid [Re: hooziewhatsit] #2760380
04/05/20 01:16 PM
04/05/20 01:16 PM
Benton, IL.
D
DaveRS23 Offline
Special needs idiot
DaveRS23  Offline
Special needs idiot
D

Benton, IL.
Some more perspective; according to the CDC, there are between 12,000 and 61,000 U.S. deaths annually due to influenza. We have just now reached 9,000 Covid related deaths here.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/index.html

Master, again and still
Re: May daughter is graduating as a PA, now Covid [Re: GoodysGotaCuda] #2760382
04/05/20 01:17 PM
04/05/20 01:17 PM
The Swamp
S
Sixpak Offline
master
Sixpak  Offline
master
S

The Swamp
Originally Posted by GoodysGotaCuda
Horrible, I just hope they get the local and Federal support they need.

There are still states that do not have stay-at-home orders in place yet. It's like the Katrina response all over again, just Nationwide.

Are medical professionals are being sent to the front lines without a firearm and have nothing to support their family if they are killed in action. This will change the course of our medical system.

The reason to do stay-at-home is not because your state is seeing high rates of the disease, it's to prevent those states not yet hard hit from eventually seeing high rates of the disease. Unfortunately, some states only seem to be reacting after it may be too late to 'flatten the curve'....the virus will come to those states, sooner or later.

The USA faced this sort of crisis before, almost 100 years ago. But with time comes the fading of memory and the value of hard-learned lessons. There is an excellent documentary on the 1918 Spanish flu pandemic here...

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/americanexperience/films/influenza/

Granted, medicine today has progressed by light years, so has communications. But technology has also enabled disease to cross oceans in a matter of hours, whereas a steam ship in 1918 might take a week or more.

Re: May daughter is graduating as a PA, now Covid [Re: Sixpak] #2760449
04/05/20 05:07 PM
04/05/20 05:07 PM
Michigan
MarkZ Offline
Worthy
MarkZ  Offline
Worthy

Michigan
I just don't see Detroit getting anywhere near as bad as New York. The population density just isn't there - half of Detroit is vacant land at this point with around half a million people. New York had nowhere to build, so instead of out, they went up.

1987 Fifth Avenue - 512/518/D60
Re: May daughter is graduating as a PA, now Covid [Re: DaveRS23] #2760451
04/05/20 05:11 PM
04/05/20 05:11 PM
Michigan
MarkZ Offline
Worthy
MarkZ  Offline
Worthy

Michigan
Some more perspective; according to the CDC, there are between 12,000 and 61,000 U.S. deaths annually due to influenza. We have just now reached 9,000 Covid related deaths here.

This is not the normal flu. I keep seeing these numbers compared and it's a false equivalency. The infection rates double every three days and it can take up to two weeks before symptoms present themselves. The funny thing about tsunamis is you don't see them coming until they're right off the tip of your nose.

1987 Fifth Avenue - 512/518/D60
Re: May daughter is graduating as a PA, now Covid [Re: MarkZ] #2760462
04/05/20 05:39 PM
04/05/20 05:39 PM
Michigan
O
oldjonny Offline
Don't argue with me.
oldjonny  Offline
Don't argue with me.
O

Michigan
Originally Posted by MarkM
I just don't see Detroit getting anywhere near as bad as New York. The population density just isn't there - half of Detroit is vacant land at this point with around half a million people. New York had nowhere to build, so instead of out, they went up.

The problem with Detroit is there are many people that are not incredibly intelligent. There is a large part of the area that is low income and just plain very reliant on the government for everything they do. So, in that vein, probably not much different than parts of NY.

Never, ever argue with an IDIOT. They will drag you to their level and then beat you with their years of experience
Re: May daughter is graduating as a PA, now Covid [Re: oldjonny] #2760471
04/05/20 05:51 PM
04/05/20 05:51 PM
G
Guitar Jones Offline
Guitar Jones  Offline
G

Originally Posted by oldjonny

The problem with Detroit is there are many people that are not incredibly intelligent. There is a large part of the area that is low income and just plain very reliant on the government for everything they do. So, in that vein, probably not much different than parts of NY.

Hold on a minute, there is huge difference between unintelligent and uneducated. Just because people are poor and uneducated does not mean they are stupid. I've known some very smart people with and without an education that choose to live a different lifestyle.

'92 D250 Club Cab CTD, 47RH conversion, pump tweaks, injectors, rear disc and hydroboost conversion.
'74 W200 Crew Cab 360, NV4500, D44, D60 and NP205 divorced transfer case. Rear disc and hydroboost coming soon!
Re: May daughter is graduating as a PA, now Covid [Re: oldjonny] #2760476
04/05/20 06:08 PM
04/05/20 06:08 PM
The Swamp
S
Sixpak Offline
master
Sixpak  Offline
master
S

The Swamp

The key is in how soon good, reliable information is communicated to the masses, and then whether they will listen. Just yesterday I saw a group of younger kids here in Florida getting together, not observing social distancing rules, and then going out for things like motorcycle rides. The rides might not be bad, but the meet up before the rides could be. A week ago, I rode my bike to a parking lot (my normal spot to stop for 5 minutes and turn around), for a paved bike trail, and it was packed with cars and people. There was a group of 10 - 15 high school kids, apparently all from the same track team, who were within 2 feet of each other, all waiting to go for a run on the trail. I turned around and got out of there as fast as I could. So a lack of intelligence may not be unique to Detroit, or NY, or Florida.

NYC is a whole different ballgame than even a big city like Detroit. NYC is still the epicenter of business world, and international travel to and from NYC has to greater than Detroit, so more chances for the disease to have been introduced much sooner than in other places. Only Los Angeles, and maybe to a degree Chicago come close to NYC, with regard to commerce, International travel and population density.

Re: May daughter is graduating as a PA, now Covid [Re: Guitar Jones] #2760477
04/05/20 06:09 PM
04/05/20 06:09 PM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
Even with the stay at home order the inner city people are the ones gathering to play hoops in Detroit.. until
the city had to take down the hoops
wave

Re: May daughter is graduating as a PA, now Covid [Re: Guitar Jones] #2760478
04/05/20 06:10 PM
04/05/20 06:10 PM
The Swamp
S
Sixpak Offline
master
Sixpak  Offline
master
S

The Swamp
Originally Posted by Guitar Jones

Hold on a minute, there is huge difference between unintelligent and uneducated. Just because people are poor and uneducated does not mean they are stupid. I've known some very smart people with and without an education that choose to live a different lifestyle.
thumbs iagree

Re: May daughter is graduating as a PA, now Covid [Re: MarkZ] #2760504
04/05/20 07:40 PM
04/05/20 07:40 PM
Benton, IL.
D
DaveRS23 Offline
Special needs idiot
DaveRS23  Offline
Special needs idiot
D

Benton, IL.

This is not the normal flu. I keep seeing these numbers compared and it's a false equivalency. The infection rates double every three days and it can take up to two weeks before symptoms present themselves. The funny thing about tsunamis is you don't see them coming until they're right off the tip of your nose.

Well, according to the Mayo Clinic "It's unclear exactly how contagious the new coronavirus is."

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/coronavirus/symptoms-causes/syc-20479963

If there is not enough data for the Mayo Clinic to determine just how contagious this virus is in comparison to other infectious diseases, how did you determine that what I posted is a 'false equivalency'? How fast do you think any other cold or flu spreads? Do you have any data on that?

Make no mistake, this virus can be fatal in certain instances. But it's mortality rate is not that much different that some other viruses. In fact, the SARS a few years ago had a mortality rate nearly 10 times what this one has. And there is no evidence that Covid-19 is any more contagious.

You are are sorta right when you say that this is not the 'normal flu'. Because it is not a flu at all. It's a cold, a chest cold. And there is no evidence that it's transmission rate is any higher than other Coronoviruses. It's just that it's spread has been very well documented.

My only point is that it is unclear to many why this particular virus has been given the attention it has. We have new colds and influenzas every single year. Which is why there is a different fly shot every year. A flu shot whose efficacy rate is only 40% to 60% a year. https://www.cdc.gov/flu/vaccines-work/vaccineeffect.htm

What is it about this particular cold that has us all at a standstill?

Master, again and still
Re: May daughter is graduating as a PA, now Covid [Re: DaveRS23] #2760510
04/05/20 08:01 PM
04/05/20 08:01 PM
G
Guitar Jones Offline
Guitar Jones  Offline
G

Gee willickers Wally, maybe it's the refrigerated semi trailers stacking up for the bodies or maybe it's the overwhelmed hospitals or maybe it's the bodies stacking up all over the world.

Re: May daughter is graduating as a PA, now Covid [Re: DaveRS23] #2760513
04/05/20 08:04 PM
04/05/20 08:04 PM
Downtown Roebuck Ont
Twostick Offline
Still wishing...
Twostick  Offline
Still wishing...

Downtown Roebuck Ont
8km

Well, according to the Mayo Clinic "It's unclear exactly how contagious the new coronavirus is."

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/coronavirus/symptoms-causes/syc-20479963

If there is not enough data for the Mayo Clinic to determine just how contagious this virus is in comparison to other infectious diseases, how did you determine that what I posted is a 'false equivalency'? How fast do you think any other cold or flu spreads? Do you have any data on that?

Make no mistake, this virus can be fatal in certain instances. But it's mortality rate is not that much different that some other viruses. In fact, the SARS a few years ago had a mortality rate nearly 10 times what this one has. And there is no evidence that Covid-19 is any more contagious.

You are are sorta right when you say that this is not the 'normal flu'. Because it is not a flu at all. It's a cold, a chest cold. And there is no evidence that it's transmission rate is any higher than other Coronoviruses. It's just that it's spread has been very well documented.

My only point is that it is unclear to many why this particular virus has been given the attention it has. We have new colds and influenzas every single year. Which is why there is a different fly shot every year. A flu shot whose efficacy rate is only 40% to 60% a year. https://www.cdc.gov/flu/vaccines-work/vaccineeffect.htm

Considering the mechanics of the disease as far as how it spreads and how it actually infects is pretty much identical to flus and colds, I don't get how it can be 3x or whatever the claim is more contagious.

Still no mention of what the total cases might be over and above "confirmed" cases. Begs the question why not? The flu stats were up to 60 million cases, 1 million hospitalizations +/- and 60,000 fatalities. Is this one on track to exceed those numbers?

Kevin

Re: May daughter is graduating as a PA, now Covid [Re: Twostick] #2760524
04/05/20 08:40 PM
04/05/20 08:40 PM
G
Guitar Jones Offline
Guitar Jones  Offline
G

Bug
Originally Posted by Twostick
8km

Considering the mechanics of the disease as far as how it spreads and how it actually infects is pretty much identical to flus and colds, I don't get how it can be 3x or whatever the claim is more contagious.

Still no mention of what the total cases might be over and above "confirmed" cases. Begs the question why not? The flu stats were up to 60 million cases, 1 million hospitalizations +/- and 60,000 fatalities. Is this one on track to exceed those numbers?

Kevin

Most likely would have if these drastic measures were not taken. Remember if nothing really bad becomes of this, that was the point!

Re: May daughter is graduating as a PA, now Covid [Re: MR_P_BODY] #2760527
04/05/20 08:48 PM
04/05/20 08:48 PM
MD
p d'ro Offline
pro stock
p d'ro  Offline
pro stock

MD
Originally Posted by MR_P_BODY
Even with the stay at home order the inner city people are the ones gathering to play hoops in Detroit.. until
the city had to take down the hoops
wave

They had to do it in my white bread neighborhood too. Dumb ass parents think it cant reach us. Still having playdates and walking to neighbors houses despite stay at home order. This thing infects thru air and when you dont feel or look ill. Just assume everyone has it and you will be ahead of the game

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3