RI Deep in the rust belt
chargervert Offline
I Live Here
chargervert  Offline
I Live Here

RI Deep in the rust belt
Originally Posted by kingdragon
Originally Posted by chargervert
AMD parts are made in Taiwan, not China. Overall the Mopar line of parts that they offer, has not been profitable for them. By not profitable, I mean the line as a whole has not covered the tooling costs. They offer the Mopar parts,because they are Mopar guys, and they knew that there were no decent aftermarket sheetmetal parts for Mopars. The profit that they make from selling the Ford and GM parts has afforded them the luxury of being able to make Mopar sheetmetal. So if there is something that they offer for your Mopar project, I advise you to order it while it is still being offered. I think that they deserve a big thanks from the Mopar world for stepping up and making the parts that have saved thousands of Mopars that would have been parts cars without the sheetmetal needed to save them. All that said, I personally remember how it was when there was little to no aftermarket parts for Mopars, and how difficult it was to build them back then. They are in business to make a profit, so items that do not sell well will be discontinued at some point, and the day will come that you will see parts like that being sold for prices like NOS parts are selling like now a days. So don't wait and think that it will always be as easy to get the parts they make at the click of a mouse!

Taiwan is China.
All this intellectual volleyball is all Bs if you ask me. 1970 71 A body quarter panels aren't big sellers? I don't think so. The tooling was already made, all the investment cost for already spent, and you can fit 1000 quarter panels without boxes in a 40' container. There's no doubt that there's some behind the scenes games being played. End of story.

Well you can always start your own company making reproduction sheetmetal metal for all our Mopars, and if you can do it cheaper, we will buy your products. Until that happens, AMD is the only company doing it, so I will buy their products. No one is going to pack 1000 unwrapped quarter panels in a container and ship it around the world on the high seas,they would be scrap metal by the time they arrived here! My friends and I just got a ten grand order in today, and are very pleased with the pieces we received. They all arrived in great condition, and the 71 Charger Ramcharger hood that I got today is nothing short of amazing! What a nice piece, and thanks go out to my friends Gary and Pam Bieneke for loaning their Ramcharger hood to AMD to make this part possible!

Last edited by chargervert; 02/28/20 09:29 PM.

70 Charger R/T SE 472 Hemi 70 Charger R/T convertible 70 Charger R/T V Code Sixpack 69 Charger R/T SE Sunroofcar 68 Charger 383 68 Charger 318 71 Charger R/T 70 Challenger convertible 71 Challenger convertible 71 Cuda 340 09 Challenger R/T Classic
Re: AMD stops producing a lot of sheetmetal [Re: chargervert] #2747583
02/28/20 10:55 PM
02/28/20 10:55 PM
eastern L.I. ,NYC
K
kingdragon Offline
kingdragon  Offline
K

eastern L.I. ,NYC
AMD parts are made in Taiwan, not China. Overall the Mopar line of parts that they offer, has not been profitable for them. By not profitable, I mean the line as a whole has not covered the tooling costs. They offer the Mopar parts,because they are Mopar guys, and they knew that there were no decent aftermarket sheetmetal parts for Mopars. The profit that they make from selling the Ford and GM parts has afforded them the luxury of being able to make Mopar sheetmetal. So if there is something that they offer for your Mopar project, I advise you to order it while it is still being offered. I think that they deserve a big thanks from the Mopar world for stepping up and making the parts that have saved thousands of Mopars that would have been parts cars without the sheetmetal needed to save them. All that said, I personally remember how it was when there was little to no aftermarket parts for Mopars, and how difficult it was to build them back then. They are in business to make a profit, so items that do not sell well will be discontinued at some point, and the day will come that you will see parts like that being sold for prices like NOS parts are selling like now a days. So don't wait and think that it will always be as easy to get the parts they make at the click of a mouse!

Taiwan is China.
All this intellectual volleyball is all Bs if you ask me. 1970 71 A body quarter panels aren't big sellers? I don't think so. The tooling was already made, all the investment cost for already spent, and you can fit 1000 quarter panels without boxes in a 40' container. There's no doubt that there's some behind the scenes games being played. End of story.

Well you can always start your own company making reproduction sheetmetal metal for all our Mopars, and if you can do it cheaper, we will buy your products. Until that happens, AMD is the only company doing it, so I will buy their products. No one is going to pack 1000 unwrapped quarter panels in a container and ship it around the world on the high seas,they would be scrap metal by the time they arrived here! My friends and I just got a ten grand order in today, and are very pleased with the pieces we received. They all arrived in great condition, and the 71 Charger Ramcharger hood that I got today is nothing short of amazing! What a nice piece, and thanks go out to my friends Gary and Pam Bieneke for loaning their Ramcharger hood to AMD to make this part possible!

You made my case and point. Repro ramchager hood? You think they sell more of those then 70/71 Abody quarters?
You think they box these in China then ship them here?

I only buy MADE IN USA.
Re: AMD stops producing a lot of sheetmetal [Re: kingdragon] #2747667
02/29/20 09:20 AM
02/29/20 09:20 AM
RI Deep in the rust belt
chargervert Offline
I Live Here
chargervert  Offline
I Live Here

RI Deep in the rust belt

Taiwan is China.

You made my case and point. Repro ramchager hood? You think they sell more of those then 70/71 Abody quarters?
You think they box these in China then ship them here?

They are shipped on racks,not 1000 pieces jambed into a container. The product is no good if it arrives damaged from the factory. As far as what AMD deems worthy of producing, and what sells and what doesn't, Mark ultimately has to make that call,like I said before if there is something that they offer now that you need for your car,get it sooner than later, because the day will come when they no longer offer the parts that you need. I am very pleased with the pieces I got yesterday, but I already know that they are going to fit correctly as I know that Gary meticulously test fitted the 71 Charger sheetmetal, until it was correct then it was released by AMD.

70 Charger R/T SE 472 Hemi 70 Charger R/T convertible 70 Charger R/T V Code Sixpack 69 Charger R/T SE Sunroofcar 68 Charger 383 68 Charger 318 71 Charger R/T 70 Challenger convertible 71 Challenger convertible 71 Cuda 340 09 Challenger R/T Classic
Re: AMD stops producing a lot of sheetmetal [Re: kingdragon] #2747716
02/29/20 12:31 PM
02/29/20 12:31 PM
albany ny
05dakota Offline
I Live Here
05dakota  Offline
I Live Here

albany ny

Taiwan is China.

go a major mopar show 60 percent of more of cars are newer than 2010

5549 post on old board
Re: AMD stops producing a lot of sheetmetal [Re: kingdragon] #2747729
02/29/20 01:12 PM
02/29/20 01:12 PM
Scranton, PA
Montclaire Offline
master
Montclaire  Offline
master

Scranton, PA
There's no doubt that there's some behind the scenes games being played. End of story.

Well we know they are moving into a new location. My guess is that they discontinued items directly to bypass the dealers and clear out excess inventory in a hurry. I’ve been reading several threads on this and they all blend together but apparently most dealers just act as middle men and direct ship straight from AMD. If they offered the sale through the dealers only, the dealers would tack on to increase profit, not warehouse the parts themselves, and the inventory would continue to sit. By “discontinuing” the parts, AMD can clear them out quickly. And since they have the tooling, there is nothing to stop them from doing another run at a later date.

I don’t think it’s the end of the world but some choices are surprising, like 68 Coronet and 72 Charger full quarters. But for all we know they may have 500 of each on hand from a second run of stampings. Again there is nothing to stop them from removing parts from the list once they get down to 50 units and keeping a very limited inventory. If you need it though and it’s on the list, you’d better buy it now.

Last edited by Montclaire; 02/29/20 01:42 PM.
Re: AMD stops producing a lot of sheetmetal [Re: Montclaire] #2747770
02/29/20 03:35 PM
02/29/20 03:35 PM
San Jose,CA
migsBIG Offline
YouTube is my go-to news source
migsBIG  Offline
YouTube is my go-to news source

San Jose,CA
Originally Posted by Montclaire
There's no doubt that there's some behind the scenes games being played. End of story.

Well we know they are moving into a new location. My guess is that they discontinued items directly to bypass the dealers and clear out excess inventory in a hurry. I’ve been reading several threads on this and they all blend together but apparently most dealers just act as middle men and direct ship straight from AMD. If they offered the sale through the dealers only, the dealers would tack on to increase profit, not warehouse the parts themselves, and the inventory would continue to sit. By “discontinuing” the parts, AMD can clear them out quickly. And since they have the tooling, there is nothing to stop them from doing another run at a later date.

I don’t think it’s the end of the world but some choices are surprising, like 68 Coronet and 72 Charger full quarters. But for all we know they may have 500 of each on hand from a second run of stampings. Again there is nothing to stop them from removing parts from the list once they get down to 50 units and keeping a very limited inventory. If you need it though and it’s on the list, you’d better buy it now.

When put my order in, most of the small items were gone and quarter panels were down to less then 100 pair per side, and that was a few days back. I wouldn't be surprised they were out of quarter panels by the middle of March.

Last edited by migsBIG; 02/29/20 03:50 PM.
Re: AMD stops producing a lot of sheetmetal [Re: migsBIG] #2747833
02/29/20 07:18 PM
02/29/20 07:18 PM
upstate western ny
sogtx Offline
master
sogtx  Offline
master

upstate western ny
I’m going to be driving my Hellcat a lot more
And stockin up on survivors

This is kinda devastating to the hobby ..

Last edited by sogtx; 02/29/20 07:34 PM.
Re: AMD stops producing a lot of sheetmetal [Re: sogtx] #2747885
02/29/20 10:16 PM
02/29/20 10:16 PM
RI Deep in the rust belt
chargervert Offline
I Live Here
chargervert  Offline
I Live Here

RI Deep in the rust belt
Originally Posted by sogtx

Its time to start stock piling parts for your Hellcat now,get to the dealer, start ordering up some parts,you will be way ahead of the curve!

Re: AMD stops producing a lot of sheetmetal [Re: chargervert] #2747942
03/01/20 07:58 AM
03/01/20 07:58 AM

R
RWG75
Unregistered
RWG75
Unregistered
R

Several replies said they've got the tooling they can just stamp more of them later. I wonder how true that it. Those stamps aren't exactly small or light. Would the off shore sub store them for a decade between runs? Would AMD pay to have them shipped over and then store them?

Something was said about an effort to clear out warehouse space. Combine that theory with an effort to raise some capitol for a new product and that sounds reasonably likely. We're gonna start supplying whatever, let's make some rack space for it. Stay tuned for the next new product announcement.

Re: AMD stops producing a lot of sheetmetal [Re: ] #2747945
03/01/20 09:08 AM
03/01/20 09:08 AM
Indiana
68_661charger Offline
super stock
68_661charger  Offline
super stock

Indiana
Their site shows they are discontinuing many GM parts as well so its not just us. Mopar has always had the crap end of the stick for parts, salvage yards, etc. At least we can finally put to bed the argument for 70 Coronet quarters.....

Re: AMD stops producing a lot of sheetmetal [Re: chargervert] #2747949
03/01/20 09:32 AM
03/01/20 09:32 AM
new berlin wisconsin
M
Mr T2U Offline
master
Mr T2U  Offline
master
M

new berlin wisconsin
Originally Posted by sogtx

Its time to start stock piling parts for your Hellcat now,get to the dealer, start ordering up some parts,you will be way ahead of the curve!

i would try to buy extra hellcat specific interior trim if there is such a thing. as a owner of a 08 bullitt mustang i am already having trouble buying some parts. ford stopped making bullitt specific parts shortly after production on the cars. a bunch of the parts are already being reproduced, but nothing beats NOS parts.
in my opinion the bullitt has cool dash panels, they went discontinued in 09. thank goodness i stocked up on those parts. i had a complete set of the dash panels NOS. someone with more $$$ than brains paid me more for the dash trim than what i bought my car for.
at every swap meet i go if i see a bullitt specific part i buy it even if i don't need it.i also regularly scan Ebay for bullitt specific parts, if i find them i try to buy when i can.. i would suggest you do the same.

perception is 90% of reality
Re: AMD stops producing a lot of sheetmetal [Re: Mr T2U] #2748372
03/02/20 05:40 PM
03/02/20 05:40 PM
Erda, UT
67Charger Offline
master
67Charger  Offline
master

Erda, UT
I went ahead and grabbed a LH 68 Charger Quarter skin and RH 71 Challenger quarter skin. LH Challenger skins were already gone, but if they had one at that price I would have bought it even though I already have a Goodmark piece in hand. The $200 in freight was a bummer but still less than going full price. Aside from a pair of front fenders, thats about the end of my sheetmetal needs.

11.33 @ 118.46 on motor
10.75 @ 125.35 w/ a little spray
Now, high Speed Open Road Racing - Silver State Classic Challenge, Nevada Open Road Challenge, Big Bend Open Road Race
Rocky Mountain Race Week 2020, 2022 2.0, Sick Week 2023
Re: AMD stops producing a lot of sheetmetal [Re: 67Charger] #2748400
03/02/20 07:31 PM
03/02/20 07:31 PM
Scranton, PA
Montclaire Offline
master
Montclaire  Offline
master

Scranton, PA
I talked with them today since Fedex crushed one of my boxes and two pieces were damaged. The rep said that they are keeping the tooling so they can always order another run if the demand is there. I asked about the 73/74 Charger quarters and again I got the impression that nothing is being decided until after the move is over.

Re: AMD stops producing a lot of sheetmetal [Re: Montclaire] #2749059
03/04/20 09:10 PM
03/04/20 09:10 PM
cheshire, ct
D
davesmopars Offline
master
davesmopars  Offline
master
D

cheshire, ct
I talked to Mike at AMD today. For Mopar
All 63 to 65 Stuff all down
All Quarter Panel Skins are Done
73 to 76 Duster Fenders done
67 to 69 Barracuda quarter panel Done But still have a lot of 68's and left 69's
Then he stopped and said probably all A body stuff Done, But If the stuff that has been selling good stays selling good will stay active.
Anything that slows Down will be done and thats for all bodies. Then He said (like others have said) they alway can start stamping parts again. But I don't see that happing.
I bet you are going to see E Body stuff go away soon. No cars left to do, unless they start making bodies

The only thing new for Mopar will be B Body wider rear wheel wells.
66 and 67 B Body rear quarter panels, Trunk extension and outer wheelhouses.

Then it's back to old days custom making everything and restoring original parts. That's what really made Mopars worth so much in the first place.

Keeper of the 440 M code Cuda registry
mcodecuda@yahoo.com
Re: AMD stops producing a lot of sheetmetal [Re: chargervert] #2749086
03/04/20 10:15 PM
03/04/20 10:15 PM
Kentucky
D
dfsmopars Offline
top fuel
dfsmopars  Offline
top fuel
D

Kentucky
Right now their sight says RH and LH quarter panels for ‘72 Charger are $299 marked down from $599. Is all that legit? Have they been $599 recently.

‘72 Charger, 5.9 Magnum, Tremec 5 spd., Pro-Touring
‘14 Big Horn, Quad Cab, 4x4, 1500
Re: AMD stops producing a lot of sheetmetal [Re: dfsmopars] #2749253
03/05/20 01:11 PM
03/05/20 01:11 PM
RI Deep in the rust belt
chargervert Offline
I Live Here
chargervert  Offline
I Live Here

RI Deep in the rust belt
If you need 72 Charger rear quarters, buy them now, they are still going to make the 71 Charger rear quarter panels, but you will have to modify the marker lights to use them on 72 Chargers.

Re: AMD stops producing a lot of sheetmetal [Re: dfsmopars] #2749254
03/05/20 01:12 PM
03/05/20 01:12 PM
Wichita
G
GY3 Offline
master
GY3  Offline
master
G

Wichita
Originally Posted by dfsmopars
Right now their sight says RH and LH quarter panels for ‘72 Charger are $299 marked down from $599. Is all that legit? Have they been $599 recently.

The stuff that is getting discontinued is marked down 50%.

I got a '63 Dodge 330 front valance for half off. I thought it was crazy they were reproducing that part in the first place. Not that many '63's getting restored compared to other muscle era stuff and it is a one year only item.

'63 Dodge 330
11.19 @ 121 mph
Pump gas, n/a, through the mufflers on street tires with 3.54's. 3,600 lbs.
10.01 @ 133mph with a 250 shot of nitrous an a splash of race gas. 1.36 60 ft. 3,700 lbs.

Re: AMD stops producing a lot of sheetmetal [Re: chargervert] #2749452
03/05/20 10:49 PM
03/05/20 10:49 PM
Kentucky
D
dfsmopars Offline
top fuel
dfsmopars  Offline
top fuel
D

Kentucky
If you need 72 Charger rear quarters, buy them now, they are still going to make the 71 Charger rear quarter panels, but you will have to modify the marker lights to use them on 72 Chargers.

I don’t need them now but I plan on keeping the car. $600 is cheap insurance. If I need them later I’ll be mad if I have to go searching for one and it ends up costing a typical Mopar fortune.

Re: AMD stops producing a lot of sheetmetal [Re: dfsmopars] #2749694
03/06/20 08:48 PM
03/06/20 08:48 PM
Kentucky
D
dfsmopars Offline
top fuel
dfsmopars  Offline
top fuel
D

Kentucky
Originally Posted by dfsmopars

Got it done. Drove to AMD and picked up one for each side. Nice place.

Re: AMD stops producing a lot of sheetmetal [Re: dfsmopars] #2749863
03/07/20 01:39 PM
03/07/20 01:39 PM
Scranton, PA
Montclaire Offline
master
Montclaire  Offline
master

Scranton, PA
Mopar Connection just did an interview with Mike Gray from AMD about the sale. He said they are working on new metal for 66-67 B-body and 73-74 Charger but I get the impression that they haven't made a final decision on what they will produce. If you want to see these parts, NOW is the time to let AMD know about it!

https://moparconnectionmagazine.com...tion-of-many-mopar-sheet-metal-products/

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4