jcc Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
Originally Posted by Mr T2U
Originally Posted by wingman
It comes down to how the property is zoned.

If it is not zoned "residential" you will never get an occupancy permit to live there full time.

^^^^i agree with THIS.

zoning and what the local city or town allows in a residential zoned area.

in my area you will never be allowed to live in a pole building. and i am pretty sure it's the same in all of SE WI. in my area they won't let you install a bathroom and even a floor drain in your garage unless it's zoned industrial.
one loophole in my area is as long as the house is attached to the garage you can build as big of garage as you want as long as the footprint of the house and garage doesn't exceed 30% of the square footage of the lot. there are certain building requirements to attach a garage to a house also...... there is a house on the other side of town about 1500sqft and he has a 20 car garage attached to his house and he has a 8 car garage detached from his house on a 5 ac lot..
i know by my friends by the wolf river party trailer in Fremont WI they allow you to live in a pole building.

My question previously was related to my property, in that building or up sizing a current garage on existing home ran into above restrictions. However across the street is a vacant available lot, and I was pondering building a garage with a "house" attached, "residential" and all. Was thinking with a little forethought I could design in for some future owner converting it to normal home usage for better resale. One issue here, garage floor slab needs to be 6"? below living quarters, but that can be dealt with.

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: Garage Condos? [Re: jcc] #2746191
02/24/20 07:35 PM
02/24/20 07:35 PM
Florida STAYcation
dIc dOc Deity ! Online penguin-006
The village idiot's idiot
dIc dOc Deity !  Online Penguin-006

Florida STAYcation
OCC permit ? .... yadi yadi yada ... as long as you have a residential address of record ... let these busy bodies EAT CAKE !

Re: Garage Condos? [Re: dIc dOc Deity !] #2746192
02/24/20 07:39 PM
02/24/20 07:39 PM
new berlin wisconsin
M
Mr T2U Offline
master
Mr T2U  Offline
master
M

new berlin wisconsin
until a inspector with a huge ego finds out and makes you life a living hell.

perception is 90% of reality
Re: Garage Condos? [Re: Mr T2U] #2746196
02/24/20 07:46 PM
02/24/20 07:46 PM
Florida STAYcation

Florida STAYcation
Share your experience or knowledge T

Re: Garage Condos? [Re: klunick] #2746202
02/24/20 07:58 PM
02/24/20 07:58 PM
Between Houston & Galveston TX
SattyNoCar Offline OP
Smarter than no class Flappergass by a mile
SattyNoCar  Offline OP
Smarter than no class Flappergass by a mile

Between Houston & Galveston TX
Originally Posted by klunick
Morphing just a bit, but I've seen places in Idaho that are basically just large steel buildings. The ground floor is nothing but a garage and then they build the upper floor into a house. The only negative I've noticed is the lack of windows.

In the past year or so, I've posted two places locally that were garages like this with 'living quarters'. One was done very nicely, but as you mentioned, there were no windows, or more accurately, no windows to the outside. And, the only way into the living quarters was thru the garage part, no outside door specifically for the living quarters. I questioned the safety in that if something were to catch fire in the garage.

In both cases though, the locations were less than ideal. One was in a VERY sketchy neighborhood, the other less than a block from Galveston Bay.......one good tropical storm or hurricane, you'd be swimming.

John

The dream is dead, long live the dream.......😥
Re: Garage Condos? [Re: SattyNoCar] #2746213
02/24/20 08:32 PM
02/24/20 08:32 PM
Sobieski Wi
B
bee1971 Offline
master
bee1971  Offline
master
B

Sobieski Wi
Interesting Subject

Now I know what these are , literally miles from my house outside of Green Bay ,WI

I notice them everyday because they are literally off the major highway / frontage road on my way to work

Wonder what kind of demand they will bring north out of town

https://woodfieldmotorcondos.com/

1971 Dodge Charger Superbee
2011 Ram Sport 1500 Quad Cab Deep Water Blue Loaded
Siberian Huskies
Re: Garage Condos? [Re: bee1971] #2746225
02/24/20 09:09 PM
02/24/20 09:09 PM
Crook County, ILL
Mastershake340 Offline
master
Mastershake340  Offline
master

Crook County, ILL
This is the one in my area where the high tax bracket guys store their collections of Porsche’s and Ferrari’s, and groupies and hangers ons come by on Cars and Coffee weekends to drool on them.
https://www.irongatemotorcondos.com
Now if I had copious amounts of money, this one makes far more sense. Right across from the Road America race track in Wisconsin. Keep a couple vintage race cars there and run them at the track, stay there race weekends and host friends for these events. Nearby fishing and places to snowmobile. A perfect dream vacation getaway house!
https://www.usatoday.com/story/mone...low-car-buffs-live-collections/82023516/

Re: Garage Condos? [Re: Mastershake340] #2746235
02/24/20 09:26 PM
02/24/20 09:26 PM
Florida STAYcation

Florida STAYcation
WHY are these businesses so secretive about pricing ?

Only place I saw that gave any idea on pricing was that Missouri operation.....

Starting at 110$ per foot .... which is a HUGE price based on what warehouse buildings are priced at

Re: Garage Condos? [Re: dIc dOc Deity !] #2746328
02/25/20 08:04 AM

R
RWG75
Unregistered
RWG75
Unregistered
R

Originally Posted by Doc Fiberglass
WHY are these businesses so secretive about pricing ?

If you have to ask how much, you can't afford it. The target market for this kinda thing is clearly the investor car crowd and the vibe I get from the pictures is that it's largely about whip it out and measure. I've got the land for additional buildings but even if I didn't I wouldn't consider this kinda set up.

Saw something much nicer when I was house hunting - a converted barn. From the outside it mostly looked like a generic wood barn that you wouldn't think twice about. A few hundred square feet had been converted in to some kinda pottery shop and had typical store front windows. Inside and upstairs was finished as an apartment that was in the 1800 square foot range, maybe bigger. 3 bedroom, 2 bath, big kitchen, large sunken living room, big deck off the back. The rest of the down stairs was largely unfinished except for a concrete slab. I'm thinking 8 or 10 cars would have fit.

Re: Garage Condos? [Re: dIc dOc Deity !] #2746329
new berlin wisconsin
M
Mr T2U Offline
master
Mr T2U  Offline
master
M

new berlin wisconsin

check your local ordinances for zoning in your area. every area is different so talk to the local zoning inspector before spending $$$.
sometimes the inspectors can get a god like complex in some areas and the city usually backs them up.

this is second hand info and it happened over 10 years ago. in west allis there was a zoning restriction against having a drain in your garage in a residential area. someone tried to put something over the inspector by putting a drain in the garage then putting a light coat of concrete covering the drain. once it passed the inspection they would bust up the concrete and have a floor drain. everything went as planned for a few months. then the inspector was inspecting a neighboring property and saw the owner washing his car in the garage, them squeegee the water down the drain. after a surprise inspection the owner was required to completely remove the garage floor, remove the piping and had to wait until the inspector signed off that it was removed before he could pour new concrete in his garage. they also required to inspect the new floor concrete pour to be sure there was no drain install. also to speed up the process they did something to the occupancy permit so they couldn't live in the house until the garage floor was corrected. the owner also got a good fine for violating city ordinances.

i have been looking to change my homes to a more garage friendly lot. i have passed on at least 5 homes that would have been perfect for me but they weren't garage friendly or had restrictions on them.

as the old saying goes everything is legal until you get caught. if you have enough $$$ and a good lawyer it can sometimes be made legal.
i don't have the $$$ or the lawyer so i usually try to play by the rules.

Last edited by Mr T2U; 02/25/20 08:07 AM.

Re: Garage Condos? [Re: Mr T2U] #2746384
02/25/20 12:19 PM
02/25/20 12:19 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
Noted, keep the door closed when washing cars. biggrin

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: Garage Condos? [Re: jcc] #2746390
02/25/20 12:35 PM
02/25/20 12:35 PM
north of coder
moparx Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"
moparx  Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"

north of coder
too much "stuff" in my garage preventing me from even considering washing a vehicle inside. laugh2
beer

Re: Garage Condos? [Re: dIc dOc Deity !] #2746537
02/25/20 08:58 PM
02/25/20 08:58 PM
Great Neck,LI,new york
hemi-itis Offline
I Live Here
hemi-itis  Offline
I Live Here

Great Neck,LI,new york
Originally Posted by Kidsixpack
We have one here that takes it to the next level. I’ve yet to attend but plan too.

https://m1concourse.com/

I have a friend that bought one just to rent it out. Doing good so far.
Lots of cool stuff going on there.
KID

Oooops - I missed your post ! .. thats VERY INTERESTING......where is that located ... off M1 ??

The M1 Concourse is off Woodward by the tracks in Pontiac. I hung for a day there last August for the Roadkill drags!

Woodward 2019 059.jpgWoodward 2019 116.jpgWoodward 2019 168.jpgDSC03030.JPG

HEMI-ITIS has no cure.
My condition is fully BLOWN!!
Re: Garage Condos? [Re: hemi-itis] #2746555
02/25/20 10:05 PM
02/25/20 10:05 PM
Florida STAYcation

Florida STAYcation
Pontiac? .... how’s the neighborhood?

Re: Garage Condos? [Re: Mr T2U] #2746569
02/25/20 11:22 PM
02/25/20 11:22 PM
Florida STAYcation

Florida STAYcation
Originally Posted by Mr T2U

check your local ordinances for zoning in your area. every area is different so talk to the local zoning inspector before spending $$$.
sometimes the inspectors can get a god like complex in some areas and the city usually backs them up.

this is second hand info and it happened over 10 years ago. in west allis there was a zoning restriction against having a drain in your garage in a residential area. someone tried to put something over the inspector by putting a drain in the garage then putting a light coat of concrete covering the drain. once it passed the inspection they would bust up the concrete and have a floor drain. everything went as planned for a few months. then the inspector was inspecting a neighboring property and saw the owner washing his car in the garage, them squeegee the water down the drain. after a surprise inspection the owner was required to completely remove the garage floor, remove the piping and had to wait until the inspector signed off that it was removed before he could pour new concrete in his garage. they also required to inspect the new floor concrete pour to be sure there was no drain install. also to speed up the process they did something to the occupancy permit so they couldn't live in the house until the garage floor was corrected. the owner also got a good fine for violating city ordinances.

i have been looking to change my homes to a more garage friendly lot. i have passed on at least 5 homes that would have been perfect for me but they weren't garage friendly or had restrictions on them.

as the old saying goes everything is legal until you get caught. if you have enough $$$ and a good lawyer it can sometimes be made legal.
i don't have the $$$ or the lawyer so i usually try to play by the rules.

Verrrry interesting T .....

So their building code against floor drains was ???

But I think that there’s a diff between sleeping in your unit from time to time and then THIS !!

Re: Garage Condos? [Re: dIc dOc Deity !] #2746599
02/26/20 08:21 AM
02/26/20 08:21 AM
new berlin wisconsin
M
Mr T2U Offline
master
Mr T2U  Offline
master
M

new berlin wisconsin
my answer was based upon what the zoning codes and inspectors can do and what can happen to you if you violate them.

i will share a similar experience that happened to me when i bought my current house.

i have a similar zoning code about floor drains in the garage in a residential area.
you can have a floor drain in your garage if you have a septic system. if you are hooked up to city sewers you can't have a floor drain in your garage.
we also have what i call a local zoning/ building code revenue patrol. about 2-4 months after every home sale a zoning/ building inspector wants to inspect your home for any non permitted improvements the previous owner or you just have done. if you or the previous owner have done non permitted work on the home they give you a fine equivalent to what a permit would cost and if the work alters the value of the home they can raise your taxes.
they wanted to inspect my home , i did nothing to it because i wasn't even fully moved in yet, so i had no problems with it. when the inspector looked at the garage and saw the floor drain and i was hooked up to city sewers i soon had a problem. the city's inspector wanted to make a name for himself so he really pressed this issue. he wanted me to fill the drain to make it unusable and i pay a small fine and i would be good. i got a appointment with the supervisor and talked to him about the problem. basically the home had been sold several times recently, i bought the place in foreclosure as is, why is this a problem now? why wasn't it a problem in the past sales? the supervisor inspected the drain, saw it had been there for years, did some checking, saw the garage was built with drain before the ordnance was put in place so there was no problem with the drain. he noted the grandfathered drain in my records, he also wrote me a letter stating the same thing for my records . cooperation with inspectors has a upside to it.

if you want to live in a shop where it's not permitted via zoning codes. go ahead.
as i said before. everything is legal until you get caught....... it's not a question of IF you will get caught, but WHEN it happens. it may be in days or multiple years. but eventually something odd will happen and you will get caught.......you can only roll the dice so many times until you get snake eyes.
be prepared for the consequences when it happens. inspectors don't like to be messed with. and if they find a violation that you pulled the wool over their eyes to get it by them, they get really really angry. they will go to the full extreme and usually more to punish you.

Re: Garage Condos? [Re: Mr T2U] #2746710
02/26/20 01:49 PM
02/26/20 01:49 PM
Florida STAYcation

Florida STAYcation
VERY REASONABLE explanation about floor drains up

But again ... me thimks it’s a way diff situation ...with what most people are talking about here.

FULL TIME residence.... vs occasionally?

That inspector must have LOTS OF SPARE TIME to survey that !

Re: Garage Condos? [Re: dIc dOc Deity !] #2746842
02/26/20 07:27 PM
02/26/20 07:27 PM
new berlin wisconsin
M
Mr T2U Offline
master
Mr T2U  Offline
master
M

new berlin wisconsin
like i posted earlier.
everything is legal until you get caught.
do whatever you want. it doesn't matter to me in any way shape or form. i don't want to hear any whining if you get busted and it cost you $$$$ to correct the situation.

inspectors don't like to be played with and from my experience the city backs them up whatever they do to enforce the regulations.

1 day temporary or permanent occupancy, both are zoning code violations in a business zoned building. business / residential completely different situation. check your local zoning regulations of the building you are looking at and follow them.

i can easily see you getting caught late at night or possibly weekends.
the cops doing routine patrolling, see you arriving or leaving your unit, possibly see unusual lights on inside of the building at non regular hours. they stop to investigate. talk to you see your suspicious occupancy. the inspector hears about it. he investigates and makes a point to make sure he isn't being played with. your rear ends up in a sling.

when i am or my friend is working late, especially on weekends at his shop, auto service business. the cops regularly stop and talk to us and ask for ID when they see us working at odd hours.

Last edited by Mr T2U; 02/26/20 07:38 PM.

Re: Garage Condos? [Re: Mr T2U] #2746891
02/26/20 09:52 PM
02/26/20 09:52 PM
Florida STAYcation

Florida STAYcation
There are LOTS of little shops in the area of mine and I know of several that HAVE A FULL SET BEDROOM in it with kitchettes in them. Also know two that are just larger storage units ... with a community bathroom that actually STEALTHY live in them.

There are some that are in a less than safer area that MANY are lived in.

Now I hear you ... but with the EXTENSIVE new building of EVERYTHING down here .., I think they have better things to do with their time.

The so called PUBLIC SERVANTS down here are IN CLOVER !

Re: Garage Condos? [Re: Mr T2U] #2746982
02/27/20 09:40 AM
02/27/20 09:40 AM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
"when they see us working at odd hours."

Bill Gates should have been cited I guess. eek

"Microsoft cofounders Bill Gates and Paul Allen worked out of an Albuquerque garage in the early days of the company, but the Sundowner Motel served as a temporary home base. There, they wrote a version of the BASIC programming language.Dec 21, 2019"

https://www.businessinsider.com/google-apple-hp-microsoft-amazon-started-in-garages-photos-2019-12

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3