02/24/20 11:25 AM
02/24/20 11:25 AM
USA
440mopar Offline OP
super stock
440mopar  Offline OP
super stock

USA
When I was considering moving the rear end further back in my Dart in order to accommodate a larger tire, I did a lot of measuring to see if there would be any issues with gas tank clearance. I put a Dana in the car (was a 7 1/4 originally) and took measurements from my other Dart which has an 8 3/4. I took into consideration the size difference between the Dana and 8 3/4 center sections, the amount the rear was moved back (1 1/2") and the amount of clearance between the 8 3/4 and the gas tank in my other Dart. Based on all that, I thought there would be enough clearance between the gas tank and the Dana after moving it back. As it turns out, I found out yesterday when attempting to install the tank that there was no way it was going to fit up in there. So now I need to either get a custom gas tank made or somehow have my existing (new) tank modified. What I would like to know is, is it possible to have a section cut out of the tank to provide the clearance with the rear end or would I be better off having a tank made? If anyone here has encountered a similar situation I would like to hear how you handled it. BTW, I do not want to use a fuel cell.

Re: Gas tank mounting problem after rear end moved back [Re: 440mopar] #2746079
02/24/20 01:22 PM
02/24/20 01:22 PM
Bend,OR USA
C
Cab_Burge Offline
I Win
Cab_Burge  Offline
I Win
C

Bend,OR USA
Move the rear end forward, not to the rear tsk
It won't take as much effort to do that halfway decently as it will on the gas tank work twocents
Do you really want to spin the tires easily due to loosing weight on the rear tires now ?

Mr.Cab Racing and winning with Mopars since 1964. (Old F--t, Huh)
Re: Gas tank mounting problem after rear end moved back [Re: Cab_Burge] #2746086
02/24/20 02:03 PM
02/24/20 02:03 PM
Fulton County, PA
C
CMcAllister Offline
Mr. Helpful
CMcAllister  Offline
Mr. Helpful
C

Fulton County, PA
Originally Posted by Cab_Burge
Move the rear end forward, not to the rear tsk
It won't take as much effort to do that halfway decently as it will on the gas tank work twocents
Do you really want to spin the tires easily due to loosing weight on the rear tires now ?

This^^^ Never back. If I'm moving springs or any similar operation, always forward. Looks better, works better. Fix the leading edge of the wheel opening correctly and it's hard to even tell it's been done.

Maybe you can get a repro tank and have it modified. I wouldn't fool with an old tank trying to fix it.

If the results don't match the theory, change the theory.
Re: Gas tank mounting problem after rear end moved back [Re: 440mopar] #2746151
02/24/20 04:34 PM
02/24/20 04:34 PM
Oregon
A
AndyF Offline
I Win
AndyF  Offline
I Win
A

Oregon
When you push over the first domino you don't always know where the last domino will fall. In your case you either need to rethink your axle location or you need to keep going down the path you are taking. A custom gas tank is an expensive choice since the material is thin and you can't afford to have any leaks. Have you thought about exhaust clearance yet? Have you tried to mount your shocks yet with the axle moved back?

Re: Gas tank mounting problem after rear end moved back [Re: AndyF] #2746172
02/24/20 06:01 PM
02/24/20 06:01 PM
TN
1DGEMAN Offline
mopar
1DGEMAN  Offline
mopar

TN
The dart already has too long of a wheelbase. Cut the front of the fender lip.

Real Men shift for themselves
Re: Gas tank mounting problem after rear end moved back [Re: 1DGEMAN] #2746214
02/24/20 08:34 PM
02/24/20 08:34 PM
So Near, Yet So Far
topside Offline
Too Many Posts
topside  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Near, Yet So Far
To answer the original question, yes, you can cut the front wall of the tank and weld a new section to allow more clearance.
We had to do that on the right side of a gas tank to fit wheelie bars in a Duster.
Flush the heck out of it if used, and whoever does it has to know what they're doing, and confirm integrity afterwards.
However:
I'm going to add my voice to the choir here about moving the rear axle that far back.
1. A-bodies already have front weight bias; I've seen as much as 400lbs of ballast in the rear to aid launch.
Heck, my car (see pic) has all kinds of lightening tricks up front, plus 100 lbs of lead-filled taillights, from its SS days.
2. I would think the aesthetics of wheel/tire vs body shape would be pretty weird at 1.5".
3. If you have plans for 30" or so tires, the wheel openings are tight anyway.
4. There's usually an easy inch at the front, pie-cutting the opening to sit flush with the stock wheelhouse, even retaining the flange.
(Or cut it away instead of the pie-slice to keep the flange, less paint touch-up)
5. I don't see how stock shock orientation's gonna work, but I could be wrong on that or on what you're doing about that.