Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Illegal to work on your own car in Sacramento county ? [Re: wingman] #2745015
02/20/20 06:06 PM
02/20/20 06:06 PM
West Plains, MO
DrCharles Offline
master
DrCharles  Offline
master

West Plains, MO
Originally Posted by wingman
Originally Posted by John_Kunkel
Back on topic, sure it's "illegal" but I don't see it being enforced very often...usually only when there's a complaint. Use your head and you won't have a complaint filed.

Usually, unless you have a busybody neighbor or overzealous HOA.

How are they going to know what you are doing in your own garage with the door down... unless air tools are audible?
Do the HOANazis have the right to search your property too??

Re: Illegal to work on your own car in Sacramento county ? [Re: TJP] #2745035
02/20/20 08:02 PM
02/20/20 08:02 PM
Oregon
A
AndyF Offline
I Win
AndyF  Offline
I Win
A

Oregon
Originally Posted by TJP
My brother just sent me this link. The article states it's illegal to do anything other than minor repairs to your own vehicle. Gotta love the Whacko's running things out there shock down eek popcorn

SEE ARTICLE

COUNTY CODE PAGE

Hmm, can't use tools not normally found in a residence. Does that mean I can't use my overhead crane? What about my brake press? I have an oscilloscope also, wonder what they would say about that? The code nazi would probably call in a swat team if he saw my shop.

shop2.JPG
Re: Illegal to work on your own car in Sacramento county ? [Re: DrCharles] #2745061
02/20/20 09:54 PM
02/20/20 09:54 PM
Phoenix, AZ
Jjs72D Offline
Deep in the closet
Jjs72D  Offline
Deep in the closet

Phoenix, AZ
Originally Posted by DrCharles
Originally Posted by wingman
Originally Posted by John_Kunkel
Back on topic, sure it's "illegal" but I don't see it being enforced very often...usually only when there's a complaint. Use your head and you won't have a complaint filed.

Usually, unless you have a busybody neighbor or overzealous HOA.

How are they going to know what you are doing in your own garage with the door down... unless air tools are audible?
Do the HOANazis have the right to search your property too??

I find it funny that the NAZI term had been adopted as the replacement for busybody or zealot.
It's as if anyone that steps up to "right a wrong" is associated with Hitler.
I just find that funny, that is all, no offense intended.
Back on topic, I think we should be able to do what we want with our cars for the most part. If a guy wants to restore a car in his garage or backyard, why is that a problem? This seems heavy handed though, as if the law is over-reaching. Sure, you don't want to have your neighbors stripping cars in the driveway, Drills, torches and saws cutting up cars.

Re: Illegal to work on your own car in Sacramento county ? [Re: Jjs72D] #2745066
02/20/20 10:14 PM
02/20/20 10:14 PM
Super Spudsville
Mr PotatoHead Offline
Half Baked
Mr PotatoHead  Offline
Half Baked

Super Spudsville
I think this whole topic is funny. What would some here do in a real crisis?

STOP POTATO HATE!
Re: Illegal to work on your own car in Sacramento county ? [Re: Jjs72D] #2745073
02/20/20 10:40 PM
02/20/20 10:40 PM
Sacramento CA
M
Morty426 Offline
master
Morty426  Offline
master
M

Sacramento CA
Originally Posted by Jjs72D
Originally Posted by Mr. Potatohead
Some here need to go to South Africa or Columbia and volunteer for a month. Then come back and the crying may stop.

Were not perfect here, but there is alot worse.

That does not mean that we should settle for being only slightly better than that.
If the tech and entertainment industry were to leave California, the state would be left with the "State" being the biggest employer. Tell me how a state can survive financially when GOVERNMENT is the biggest employer? It is the Governments money ! No, it is the money that the Government skimmed from the working citizens.
They talk of how they are financially sound but rarely do you hear of the huge balloon payment of public employee pension and medical costs that are looming on the horizon. It used to be that a skilled person only took a state job because they were not good enough to make it in the private sector. The generous wage and benefit packages (At taxpayer expense, of course) have made it where the smart and selfish money is in Government work.

The largest employer in California is the University System

Re: Illegal to work on your own car in Sacramento county ? [Re: Jjs72D] #2745103
02/21/20 01:17 AM
02/21/20 01:17 AM
Phila
P
PhillyRag Offline
top fuel
PhillyRag  Offline
top fuel
P

Phila
I find it funny that the NAZI term had been adopted as the replacement for busybody or zealot.

So a car guy is in his closed garage changing a transmission, using a larger floor jack/stands, an example.
Oh No!!!! That's a Major repair using Unusual home tools.
Sure may be a busybody who would consider that a Wrong.
A Wrong: Sure, maybe to them personally. But Not to the other 99.9% nearby.
I can see where "jealousy" can play a part in it.
"He fixes his car for free, while I have to pay dealer rates."

The initial Intent of that law may have had a specific/targeted purpose.
But if not carefully thought out & written; law enforcement takes it to the nth degree.
Then it's Chaos for the "Non-Targeted" (i.e. very mindful home owners)

Re: Illegal to work on your own car in Sacramento county ? [Re: 71TA] #2745105
02/21/20 01:24 AM
02/21/20 01:24 AM
Phila
P
PhillyRag Offline
top fuel
PhillyRag  Offline
top fuel
P

Phila
Like gun laws. I'm not even a gun owner (oops, now I'll get robbed) but crazy politicians want to toughen gun laws?!?! LAWS DONT MATTER TO THE PEOPLE SHOOTING EACH OTHER IN DETROIT.

They will never get It !!!!!
"You Can't Legislate Morality"

Last edited by PhillyRag; 02/25/20 03:28 AM.
Re: Illegal to work on your own car in Sacramento county ? [Re: Mr PotatoHead] #2745107
02/21/20 01:28 AM
02/21/20 01:28 AM
Florida STAYcation
dIc dOc Deity ! Offline
The village idiot's idiot
dIc dOc Deity !  Offline
The village idiot's idiot

Florida STAYcation
I think this whole topic is funny. What would some here do in a real crisis?

Funny POThead ? .... it’s time for another TEA PARTY tsk

Re: Illegal to work on your own car in Sacramento county ? [Re: dIc dOc Deity !] #2745123
02/21/20 07:12 AM
02/21/20 07:12 AM
Super Spudsville
Mr PotatoHead Offline
Half Baked
Mr PotatoHead  Offline
Half Baked

Super Spudsville
Good one doc, glad to see you posting, After your debate stage like beating in the RW thread I thought youd goto Brazil a week or such.

STOP POTATO HATE!
Re: Illegal to work on your own car in Sacramento county ? [Re: Mr PotatoHead] #2745126
02/21/20 08:08 AM
02/21/20 08:08 AM

R
RWG75
Unregistered
RWG75
Unregistered
R

"Things not usually found in a residential garage" - that pretty much describes almost everything in my garage.

Re: Illegal to work on your own car in Sacramento county ? [Re: Jjs72D] #2745134
02/21/20 09:37 AM
02/21/20 09:37 AM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
jcc  Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
J

Bitopia
Originally Posted by Jjs72D

I just find that funny, that is all, no offense intended.

The IMO correct "Hitler" connection in this context is that to a very large degree, most of the NAZI policies were quite legal and codified at the time under German law, and the catch is, they were mostly selectively enforced. Why the moniker "rule of law" can mean very little, if norms and societal guardrails are not respected, an example is the OP's observation posted in this thread.

I think my limited comment is not crossing the line regarding posting rules here, and yet important enough for me to make it.

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: Illegal to work on your own car in Sacramento county ? [Re: ] #2745169
02/21/20 11:33 AM
02/21/20 11:33 AM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Online content OP
I Live Here
TJP  Online Content OP
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Originally Posted by RWG75
"Things not usually found in a residential garage" .

When I lived in San Jose I just Just happened to be in a very gear-head oriented neighborhood, The above statement would have been a defense in itself as within a 2 block radius there were a lot of garage doors open till midnight or later with music going and wrenches turning. mills, lathes, welders and just about anything else you can think of other than car lifts. wink

In the code the term "Normally" appears, Define normal, it's somewhat of an open ended term and depends on a wide range of variables IMO stirthepot beer

Re: Illegal to work on your own car in Sacramento county ? [Re: TJP] #2745180
02/21/20 12:03 PM
02/21/20 12:03 PM
Kirkland, Washington
Pacnorthcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
Pacnorthcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

Kirkland, Washington
Originally Posted by TJP

When I lived in San Jose I just Just happened to be in a very gear-head oriented neighborhood, The above statement would have been a defense in itself as within a 2 block radius there were a lot of garage doors open till midnight or later with music going and wrenches turning. mills, lathes, welders and just about anything else you can think of other than car lifts. wink

In the code the term "Normally" appears, Define normal, it's somewhat of an open ended term and depends on a wide range of variables IMO stirthepot beer

Vaguely written laws and restrictions are a poor result of our “leaders” efforts. This is very problematic and could very well end up in the higher courts. What a waste of our judiclal system.

A simple argument would be that since business such as Harbor Freight are common, and targeted at everyday citizens, anything they sell is fair game. That’s a good start. At least painting and welding are well covered.

Re: Illegal to work on your own car in Sacramento county ? [Re: Pacnorthcuda] #2745184
02/21/20 12:19 PM
02/21/20 12:19 PM
Super Spudsville
Mr PotatoHead Offline
Half Baked
Mr PotatoHead  Offline
Half Baked

Super Spudsville
This is it, they can use there prop 65.

The city explains that auto repairs can release chemicals harmful to the environment if not handled properly, and that if repairs are allowed on vehicles not owned by the homeowner, it can increase auto traffic in neighborhoods.

23 pages of banned chemicals

https://oehha.ca.gov/media/downloads/proposition-65//p65list010320.pdf

I wonder what some health stats are for cali vs other states.

So in cali I could shoot up and get free needles, steal, sleep anyplace, but yet cant change my own oil.

Last edited by Mr. Potatohead; 02/21/20 12:21 PM.

STOP POTATO HATE!
Re: Illegal to work on your own car in Sacramento county ? [Re: Mr PotatoHead] #2745197
02/21/20 12:42 PM
02/21/20 12:42 PM
Kirkland, Washington
Pacnorthcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
Pacnorthcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

Kirkland, Washington

The city explains that auto repairs can release chemicals harmful to the environment if not handled properly, and that if repairs are allowed on vehicles not owned by the homeowner, it can increase auto traffic in neighborhoods.

So in cali I could shoot up and get free needles, steal, sleep anyplace, but yet cant change my own oil.

...and defecate on the sidewalk to proudly display what you made to all who happen by!!! Freedom baby!

Re: Illegal to work on your own car in Sacramento county ? [Re: Mr PotatoHead] #2745205
02/21/20 01:03 PM
02/21/20 01:03 PM
West Plains, MO
DrCharles Offline
master
DrCharles  Offline
master

West Plains, MO

Looks like it's OK to repair vehicles if you DO own them though up

Originally Posted by TJP

Exactly... IANAL but something that vaguely defined would never survive a court challenge. However, that could take years and cost a crapload of money...

Re: Illegal to work on your own car in Sacramento county ? [Re: Mr PotatoHead] #2745380
02/22/20 04:24 AM
02/22/20 04:24 AM
Phila
P
PhillyRag Offline
top fuel
PhillyRag  Offline
top fuel
P

Phila

Would be simpler to list those which ARE Allowed; at the rate it's going.

Leather dust == No More Bikers
Diesel engine exhaust == Bye-Bye Truckers
Marijuana smoke == Adios Pot Heads
Mustard Gas == No Kidding!
Nitromethane == Racers Not Wanted Here
Salted fish, Chinese style == Presently Anything Chinese.
Wood dust == Ban all Sanders
L.A. Air == Oh, That's Safe

Yes; because they'll make the assumption that you're not "responsible" enough to be "trusted", unless you prove otherwise. Geez; what happened to Innocent until proved guilty

Re: Illegal to work on your own car in Sacramento county ? [Re: PhillyRag] #2745387
02/22/20 06:39 AM
02/22/20 06:39 AM
ohio
R
ruderunner Offline
master
ruderunner  Offline
master
R

ohio
Ahh, neighborhood busy bodies. About 10 years ago I built my pole barn and outfitted it with lifts, heat electric etc. So I could store and work on my junk. It matches the house and i keep the ugly stuff in a fence in areas behind it.

One neighbor didn't like it and started calling the zoning board, every 2 weeks, with some sort of complaint. The funniest was the claim i was storing explosives in the building. The inspector came in laughing about that one.

I finally ended it by getting a restraining order by pointing out that some of the things she complained about could only be known by trespassing on my property. I got nothing but 1 finger waves for the next 5 years till she moved to Florida.

Angry white pureblood male
Re: Illegal to work on your own car in Sacramento county ? [Re: Rhinodart] #2745784
02/23/20 03:14 PM
02/23/20 03:14 PM
Shopping @ HoBo Fright
340SIX Offline
Doc Flappergas's Evil Twin
340SIX  Offline
Doc Flappergas's Evil Twin

Shopping @ HoBo Fright
It would take years of selling my stuff off to live there and not be a criminal.
Guess i will stay put.
And I would have to ask what is normal for the garages there. I know I am not so even I could not be in it.

[img]https://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee87/fast340six/sig%20pics/2840886-340SIX-1.jpg[/img]
VP of the MPM in New Orleans
73 Dart Sport 340/ 70 challenger vert. That may still get built, If I live long enough
Re: Illegal to work on your own car in Sacramento county ? [Re: Mr PotatoHead] #2745800
02/23/20 04:27 PM
02/23/20 04:27 PM
Jefferson State
S
srt Offline
ESYC
srt  Offline
ESYC
S

Jefferson State
What if a huge population of people that live within 50 miles of the pacific ocean were to all drive pre-emission vehicles, use any aerosol, or chemical they chose?
How would the air quality be as it exited the state. The squealing from those down-wind would be deafening.
Give it enough time and down the road the populace of the world may likely say nobody did enough.
I think it actually pretty good that the green philosophy is bringing forth products that are effective and not harmful.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4