M
Mr T2U Offline
master
Mr T2U  Offline
master
M

new berlin wisconsin
Originally Posted by McLovin
I'm seriously tired of everything being digitized, automated and connected. Do we really need 'smart' refrigerators now?

The less we as humans are required to do for ourselves, the less we will be able to do for ourselves. The more that our cars (and other appliances) do for us, the more we as drivers rely on our cars to do for us and that's dangerous; I will not trust a 4000 lb machine at 80 mph to do everything and tell me what to do. There is no replacement for a safe, conscientious driver. I'll turn around and look, thanks.

i agree. the more digitized we get it seems the dumber the population gets.

perception is 90% of reality
Re: Side view cameras in place of mirrors [Re: not_a_charger] #2743322
02/15/20 08:55 PM
02/15/20 08:55 PM
Canada -- Posts: 4034 -Registe...
5thAve Offline
Doesn't care what this says anyway
5thAve  Offline

Originally Posted by not_a_charger
If you're a good driver you don't need all these extra features to be able to drive.

The best driver on the planet can't see everything a backup camera sees.

Maybe so but these features also make people lazy. Someone who shoulder checks and physically looks out there windows before backing up or turning is also going to notice something that they wouldn't if they solely depended on these cameras.

Re: Side view cameras in place of mirrors [Re: 5thAve] #2743355
02/15/20 09:52 PM
02/15/20 09:52 PM
nowhere
S
Sniper Offline
master
Sniper  Offline
master
S

nowhere
Originally Posted by 5thAve

Maybe so but these features also make people lazy. Someone who shoulder checks and physically looks out there windows before backing up or turning is also going to notice something that they wouldn't if they solely depended on these cameras.

That right there is the truth.

Re: Side view cameras in place of mirrors [Re: RangerDan440] #2743420
02/16/20 02:27 AM
02/16/20 02:27 AM
Phila
P
PhillyRag Offline
top fuel
PhillyRag  Offline
top fuel
P

Phila
I'm seriously tired of everything being digitized, automated and connected. Do we really need 'smart' refrigerators now?
Just because It-can-be-done, doesn't mean It should be done. Doesn't seem to be the prevailing mentality today with electronics.

The less we as humans are required to do for ourselves, the less we will be able to do for ourselves. The more that our cars (and other appliances) do for us, the more we as drivers rely on our cars to do for us and that's dangerous;
It's becoming Cars-Drive-People, not People-Drive-Cars. Can lead to a false belief (subconsciously) that Drive Skill-Awareness isn't needed.

[quote}I will not trust a 4000 lb machine at 80 mph to do everything and tell me what to do. There is no replacement for a safe, conscientious driver. I'll turn around and look, thanks.
So true. But the Autonomous crowd would disagree with you

Last edited by PhillyRag; 02/16/20 02:29 AM.
Re: Side view cameras in place of mirrors [Re: RangerDan440] #2743520
02/16/20 12:12 PM
02/16/20 12:12 PM
north of coder
moparx Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"
moparx  Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"

north of coder
I'm seriously tired of everything being digitized, automated and connected. The less we as humans are required to do for ourselves, the less we will be able to do for ourselves. The more that our cars (and other appliances) do for us, the more we as drivers rely on our cars to do for us and that's dangerous; I will not trust a 4000 lb machine at 80 mph to do everything and tell me what to do. There is no replacement for a safe, conscientious driver. I'll turn around and look, thanks.

gee, imagine that ! what will we, as a society, do if something jacks up our electronic gadgets [possible act of war ?] and NOTHING works ?
huh !
i have cars with point ignition plus i own mechanical can openers and a stove with a pilot light.
however, i probably won't be able to heat and cook on the stove because i won't be getting any natural gas from the gas company.
also, i won't be driving because the gas station doesn't have any hand crank pumps for their tanks.

a double edged sword for sure it is. grin
beer

Re: Side view cameras in place of mirrors [Re: moparx] #2743693
02/16/20 06:52 PM
02/16/20 06:52 PM
Virginia
BSharp Offline
master
BSharp  Offline
master

Virginia
And yet, here we are discussing it by a means that was almost unimaginable when we were teenagers.

Re: Side view cameras in place of mirrors [Re: BSharp] #2743705
02/16/20 07:08 PM
02/16/20 07:08 PM
Puttin' on the foil in Charles...
not_a_charger Offline
Mr. Big Shot Moparts Moderator
not_a_charger  Offline

Originally Posted by BSharp
And yet, here we are discussing it by a means that was almost unimaginable when we were teenagers.

work

Earning every penny of that moderator paycheck.

DBAP
Re: Side view cameras in place of mirrors [Re: not_a_charger] #2743828
02/17/20 03:07 AM
02/17/20 03:07 AM
Phila
P
PhillyRag Offline
top fuel
PhillyRag  Offline
top fuel
P

Phila
work

If you use it as a Tool and Not as a Way-Of-Life, it works fine.
Just that it shouldn't "Consume" your Life, But "Enhance"it.

Re: Side view cameras in place of mirrors [Re: 5thAve] #2743835
02/17/20 05:15 AM
02/17/20 05:15 AM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
jcc  Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
J

Bitopia
If you're a good driver you don't need all these extra features to be able to drive.

Backing up is usually at low speed, likely means you are not following anther vehicle, and means you have to decide if looking where you are headed is the best and safest solution.
I don't consider backing up and back cameras part of the side mirror replacement decision discussion here.

Furthermore, backup cameras can be located with better multiple views then any mirrors, and any driver attempted over the shoulder attempts.

The comment this thread is not about vehicles pulling doesn't square, in that some how using mirrors only is unsafe in cars, but pulling a trailer it is safe?

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: Side view cameras in place of mirrors [Re: PhillyRag] #2743837
02/17/20 06:14 AM
02/17/20 06:14 AM
not_a_charger Offline
not_a_charger  Offline

Originally Posted by PhillyRag
work

If you use it as a Tool and Not as a Way-Of-Life, it works fine.
Just that it shouldn't "Consume" your Life, But "Enhance"it.

Such as a camera that has a broader range of vision than a mirror. thumbs

Earning every penny of that moderator paycheck.

DBAP
Re: Side view cameras in place of mirrors [Re: 360view] #2743842
02/17/20 07:25 AM
02/17/20 07:25 AM
USA
360view Offline OP
Moparts resident spammer
360view  Offline OP
Moparts resident spammer

USA
Should there be mandated mounting points for an old fashioned side view mirror on newer camera equipped vehicles?

How cheap would the entire camera/ view screen have to become to make repair a non-issue ... $200 or less.

My past experiments folding back the side view mirrors on a 1995 Ram lead me to believe that they reduce MPG by about 1 at 70 mph. Years later the software program Fuel Economy Calculator by Performance Trends Inc. seemed to confirm this was in the ballpark.

Nissan more recently has gone about 4 feet in front of their side mirrors and made a “flow modifier” to reduce the drag of the side view mirrors. One Nissan flow modifier was molded into the front headlight.. I suspect this does not work if there is more than a 10 mph side wind.

Re: Side view cameras in place of mirrors [Re: BSharp] #2743894
02/17/20 11:39 AM
02/17/20 11:39 AM
north of coder
moparx Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"
moparx  Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"

north of coder

remember discussing Dick Tracy's wrist watch TV ? laugh2
beer

Re: Side view cameras in place of mirrors [Re: jcc] #2744035
02/17/20 08:12 PM
02/17/20 08:12 PM
5thAve Offline
5thAve  Offline

Originally Posted by jcc

Backing up is usually at low speed, likely means you are not following anther vehicle, and means you have to decide if looking where you are headed is the best and safest solution.
I don't consider backing up and back cameras part of the side mirror replacement decision discussion here.

Furthermore, backup cameras can be located with better multiple views then any mirrors, and any driver attempted over the shoulder attempts.

The comment this thread is not about vehicles pulling doesn't square, in that some how using mirrors only is unsafe in cars, but pulling a trailer it is safe?

Backing out of a parking spot or driveway onto a road you get a wider view of what's coming at you doing a shoulder check then what the camera picks up. They (backup cameras) are great for seeing what's below the mirror line or getting in/out of tight spaces. I'd consider it the same sort of deal as side mirror replacement and it came up within the first few posts.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3