Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Mopar 493 stroker check with endoscope through sparkplug hol [Re: Cab_Burge] #2743812
02/17/20 12:50 AM
02/17/20 12:50 AM
Sweden
M
Mopar493 Offline OP
Mopar493  Offline OP
M

Sweden
Originally Posted by Cab_Burge
Originally Posted by GODSCOUNTRY340
[quote=Mopar493][quote=GODSCOUNTRY340] We always hear the snapping of the rings as you install the pistons into the cylinders upon assembly, one oil ring scraper could have snapped out of place during the piston installation into the cylinder. That's all it would take.

I've never heard about or heard a ring snap when being push into a cylinder, no matter which type of ring compressor confused
Please help us all out on this help

I've never heard anything like that either, it must be one hell of a piston to cylinder clearance if you hear them snap. The only possibility i can see are if the rings snap out before they enter the cylinder but in that case you probably not even get into the cylinder and probably damage the rings during try to push the piston in.

Re: Mopar 493 stroker check with endoscope through sparkplug hol [Re: GODSCOUNTRY340] #2743820
02/17/20 01:08 AM
02/17/20 01:08 AM
Sweden
M
Mopar493 Offline OP
Mopar493  Offline OP
M

Sweden
Originally Posted by Mopar493
Originally Posted by Mopar493
[quote=GODSCOUNTRY340]Looking closer those scratches are really uniform and evenly spaced apart like the oil ring scrapers are not holding the center section of the oil ring in place. Maybe that rough crosshatch wore the oil ring scrapers down letting the center section rub more than it should or, one of the scrapers seated above or below the center spacer letting it come out and rub the cylinder wall. Whatever the problem is that oil ring center spacer should not be out against the wall making those marks.

Hows that even possible for the oil rings to move around in the cylinder like that when the rings are properly assembled? And belive me they are properly assembled, i have been almost redicoluos meticulous with this engine.

Hey, Just reading what the pic shows. You said all the other cylinders look good and this one has the marks so there's something causing them. I'm sure you installed the rings correctly. We always hear the snapping of the rings as you install the pistons into the cylinders upon assembly, one oil ring scraper could have snapped out of place during the piston installation into the cylinder. That's all it would take.

Good luck with your engine. Bye.

Thank you and thanks for your answer! Im greatful for all ideas, i just try to figure out how its possible for the rings to snap out like that inside the cylinder if the piston to cylinder clearance is 0,0045" and you can not compress the ring compressor more than the measurement of the piston, thats all im saying, im not trying to be rude or anything like that, i just trying to figure it out.

Re: Mopar 493 stroker check with endoscope through sparkplug hol [Re: Cab_Burge] #2748562
03/03/20 01:06 PM
03/03/20 01:06 PM
Sweden
M
Mopar493 Offline OP
Mopar493  Offline OP
M

Sweden
Originally Posted by Cab_Burge
Sometimes we all imagine the worst things when we first see them shock
Further testing and investigating can help us under stand what is bad and not so bad up
Yours is good, in my opinion up

Hi i must update this, i do a new leak down test with a OTC tester witch i belive is more accurate than the one with pretty low input preassure and hard to zero i use the first time, with this OTC tester i have 90 psi input preassure and see on the second watch what i loose in psi and i get 15% on all 8 cylinders exactly, cold/dry engine. That makes me wonder a bit so i drive the engine warm and do a compression test and i get 185 psi on the cylinders. I mailed Mahle engine components and tell them the story because i have Mahle forged pistons and Mahle plasma moly metrical ring pack. They told me that 15% is not terrible but not 100% accurate but the fact that it was exactly the same on all 8 was a good sign, he also told me that he use leak down as a seconday test aspecially on a metrical ringpack that seals best from gas preassure rather than mechanical preassure and if my plugs looks fine and i not notice any oil consum i have no worries. I did a compression test and get 185 psi and send him another mail and he answer that my engine was in the best condition it can be, he say that 185 psi with my camshaft(231/237@050) was a great number and that he see from my pictures that the machine work was in top class and i probably going to get many years of service from my big Mopar, his advice was to enjoy the car😊

Re: Mopar 493 stroker check with endoscope through sparkplug hol [Re: Mopar493] #2748571
03/03/20 01:24 PM
03/03/20 01:24 PM
Bend,OR USA
C
Cab_Burge Offline
I Win
Cab_Burge  Offline
I Win
C

Bend,OR USA
Thanks for the update up
I'm glad it is okay thumbs

Mr.Cab Racing and winning with Mopars since 1964. (Old F--t, Huh)
Page 2 of 2 1 2