02/09/20 02:47 AM
02/09/20 02:47 AM
San Diego
J
JP8 Offline OP
JP8  Offline OP
J

San Diego
Hi all, never really stepped foot in the trucks section of Moparts but I just got a smokin deal on a 2019 Ram Classic Ecodiesel Tradesman. It was the last one built with the Gen II VM Motori and in 2019 they built the older body style and called it the Classic while also building the current style.

It has the 8 speed and one of my concerns is the trans. Anybody have towing experience with this set up? Is the trans cooler sufficient. I go the towing package and I assume it has a cooler but I just got it last night and it was 15K off MSRP and I just jumped on it so fast because it was the last one at the dealer and I've been working on the 'cud all day so I haven't even looked at the owners manual or poked around on it. I just want to figure some things out. I had already looked at the Banks Derringer kit for it and it looks promising so I'll probably add that in the future and last time I had a diesel I upgraded to a Edge Juice and fudged up the tranny on a 2003 POwerstroke. THe Banks system for the VM Motori is pretty safe for the powertrain vs. others. It's not just a reflash or plug in deal. Basically, its not so wild that you can mess the truck up like that Edge did to the Ford. I guess you could say it's passive (Derringer = little bitty gun). Adds up to 40 hp and 63 lb-ft. With "ActiveSafety" it protects the powertrain.
Derringer is dyno calibrated to use multiple data inputs such as throttle position, rpm, vehicle speed, AFR, Knock and coolant temperature, just like your engine's ECU. Its microprocessor-based electronics are able to actively and safely optimize calibrations in real time.

https://www.bankspowerproducts.com/Banks-Power-66581-Derringer-Tuner-with-iDash-1-8-p/66581.htm

Aside from the drivetrain I am looking at churching it up. Being a Tradesman I got some things I really wanted as far as getting a stripper. Rubber floors, vegan leather seats, lower cost ... Some things I want to upgrade to are remote entry, maybe see about getting the upgraded radio/ navigation system, OEM fender mouldings painted body color, and painting a nice tan color on the bottom to give it a nice look.

Anyone had any experience upgrading the basic Uconnect to the Nav Uconnect? This will probably be to much of a hassle and cost-ineffective but just wondering if it's as simple as changing the stereo and dash trim. Are the plugs there for the Nav and you pop out the old one and plug in a GPS and radio screen?

The truck wasn't optioned with remote entry and I have to unlock the door with the key. Is this also something where you plug in a module and install the door lock poppers in the door?

I would like to go OEM with the upgrades but I know there are tons of cheaper aftermarket options for remote door locks and that will be the way I go if the OEM remote entry is a ridiculous cost. I've looked on the interwebs and can only find replacement fobs for trucks already carrying the option so there has to be other components like a signal receiver that the fob communicates with.

I also want to find some wheels that came off a Laramie package truck and not aftermarket. Like I said, OEM stuff is the goal.

Aftermarket stuff would be limited to making it tow better. Helper springs, bigger sway bar (that thing is pencil thin), brake pads? It came with a trailer brake controller so that's good. I need to tow an E-body, safely. I've got an old trailer that isn't great for cars (not a dovetail/ tall fenders, low floor). In the future I do want to get a dovetail trailer and would like to be able to swing the doors on the 'cuda all the way open. I might even look at aluminum to shave some weight. Advertised capacity says I'll be fine with what I got but if I'm going to buy a different trailer why not get an aluminum trailer? Selling the old trailer would help cut the cost of the aluminum option.

Can anyone chime in with a report on towing a car with these EcoDiesels?

Instagram : @5_points_racing
Re: 2019 Ram EcoDiesel upgrades [Re: JP8] #2741135
02/09/20 08:18 AM
02/09/20 08:18 AM
Colleyville
3hundred Offline
I Live Here
3hundred  Offline
I Live Here

Colleyville
I wouldn't fool with tunes for the engine unless I didn't care for the warranty coverage. The 8 speed is great, but I don't buy the "fill for life" nonsense. If you have Android Auto or Car Play capability, don't bother with the factory Navigation. If you still want to pursue that avenue, infortainment linky has you covered.

Last edited by 3hundred; 02/09/20 08:18 AM.

'68 Fury Convertible
'69 300 Convertible
'15 Durango 5.7 Hemi
'16 300 S Hemi
Re: 2019 Ram EcoDiesel upgrades [Re: JP8] #2741141
02/09/20 09:31 AM
02/09/20 09:31 AM
Oregon
E
earlymopar Offline
pro stock
earlymopar  Offline
pro stock
E

Oregon
I have a 2016 RAM with this engine and I added a Green Diesel Engineering upgrade on the ECM and a cold air box. I can't speak to transmission cooler performance or aftermarket options but I tow a 6,500 lb. trailer in the summers with my truck and while it's not a Cummins, the truck does well. I live in Oregon where there aren't many flat "spots" and often pull long steep grades and again, it isn't like a Cummins with a ton of torque on hand but it does fine. I can say that given what the truck was designed for, I don't stop for diesel near as often as other trucks. I drive my truck different than I drive a gas engine car or truck in that I try to keep engine RPM down and keep it in the torque curve. Often this means letting off on the throttle to allow it to up-shift and then getting back into it. A big part of what you're able to do with towing (other than your load) is the rear end gears you have in your truck. A 3.92 ratio is about right.

Your should be fine with anything from Banks. They didn't have an offering when I got my GDE set-up but I'm happy with what I have.

- EM

Re: 2019 Ram EcoDiesel upgrades [Re: earlymopar] #2742077
02/11/20 08:32 PM
02/11/20 08:32 PM
aZLiViN
J
J_BODY Offline
I Live Here
J_BODY  Offline
I Live Here
J

aZLiViN
My hatred for the Puke-O-diesel runs deep. We’ve replaced SIXTEEN Eco engines lowest miles being 7k. I have NO idea why people buy these things. They’re a JOKE! Get a HEMI all day long! Want towing capabilities? Get a 6.4!

Re: 2019 Ram EcoDiesel upgrades [Re: J_BODY] #2742174
02/12/20 08:48 AM
02/12/20 08:48 AM
Oregon
E
earlymopar Offline
pro stock
earlymopar  Offline
pro stock
E

Oregon
Most of us already now your comments and opinions. Keep in mind that many of us made our purchases well- before there was much of a history on drivetrain longevity that could have swayed our decision.

- EM

Re: 2019 Ram EcoDiesel upgrades [Re: earlymopar] #2742436
02/12/20 10:01 PM
02/12/20 10:01 PM
aZLiViN
J
J_BODY Offline
I Live Here
J_BODY  Offline
I Live Here
J

aZLiViN
That came off pretty bad I’ll admit..... but guess what I’ve been trying to chase an “intermittent” problem on for the last 15 days.... laugh2 I’ll give my replies more thought before I press “submit”.

.....and had another come in today with “EGR excessive flow”. For gawd sake change your air filter once in awhile!!! Could have planted garden seeds in the one I took out.

Re: 2019 Ram EcoDiesel upgrades [Re: J_BODY] #2742514
02/13/20 09:16 AM
02/13/20 09:16 AM
Oregon
E
earlymopar Offline
pro stock
earlymopar  Offline
pro stock
E

Oregon
Thanks for that.

There is no doubt the engine failure rate is far higher on the ECO diesel than (percentage-wise) all the other engines offered in a Ram. That in itself is not at all good. Like probably everyone else, I bought my truck for the MPG capability while still having decent towing capability. It offers me exactly that and I really enjoy driving it but due to the frequency of failures, I'm constantly wondering if, when and where mine might have an issue and leave my wife and I stranded somewhere with our trailer. To add frustration, this was sort of my retirement gift to myself and was the first Chrysler product I've ever ordered directly from the factory. I didn't want something I needed worry about, especially the potential for engine failure. I stay well-ahead of recommended air filter and oil change frequencies just in the hopes I can head off or reduce the chance of problems. With that said, there is the other side of this ECO-diesel "coin" in that there are many of these trucks on the road with over 100k miles and never had an issue other than regular maintenance. So, inconsistency in manufacturing quality seems to be or have been an issue.

- EM

Re: 2019 Ram EcoDiesel upgrades [Re: earlymopar] #2742625
02/13/20 05:40 PM
02/13/20 05:40 PM
in a cattle trailer down by th...
G
Guitar Jones Offline
Paddle faster! I hear banjo music!
Guitar Jones  Offline
G

It was my understanding the problem was in low RPM lugging of the engine that caused the problem. FCA wanted to increase the viscosity of the oil to offset this but of course that needed EPA approval. I don't know if that was ever approved.

"Follow me the wise man said, but he walked behind"

'92 D250 Club Cab CTD, 47RH conversion, pump tweaks, injectors, rear disc and hydroboost conversion.
'74 W200 Crew Cab 360, NV4500, D44, D60 and NP205 divorced transfer case. Rear disc and hydroboost coming soon!
2019 1500 Long Horn Crew Cab 4WD, 5.7 Hemi.
Re: 2019 Ram EcoDiesel upgrades [Re: Guitar Jones] #2742734
02/14/20 08:37 AM
02/14/20 08:37 AM
Oregon
E
earlymopar Offline
pro stock
earlymopar  Offline
pro stock
E

Oregon
Interesting. I hadn't heard that. I wonder what viscosity they recommended?

- EM

Re: 2019 Ram EcoDiesel upgrades [Re: JP8] #2743043
02/14/20 11:55 PM
02/14/20 11:55 PM
Id
M
mopeman Offline
mopar
mopeman  Offline
mopar
M

Id
If you have the tow package and 3.92 gears you don't have to worry too much about towing. I have a 2018 and in the 38k miles with 10k of towing I have not had any problems yet. I did add an Airlift airbag kit to keep the truck level. I have never seen any higher than 195 degrees on the trans temp pulling the Blues Mnt Rng, on flats I keep the cruise set at 72 MPH and avg 13-14 MPG per the lie-o-meter. That Cuda of yours will not give the truck any problems. I have towed many cars, trucks, and a horse trailer with mine. As far as adding keyless entry, I would stick with the Mopar kit, they are plug and play with a dealer flash.

20191221_160953.jpgIMG_0379(1).jpg
Last edited by mopeman; 02/14/20 11:58 PM.

Mopar or no car
MoPar=Massivly Over Powered And Respected!

'93 W250 Ram
'68 Charger
'67 Coronet 500 my steet/strip rod-now a 6BBL!
Re: 2019 Ram EcoDiesel upgrades [Re: Guitar Jones] #2743167
02/15/20 12:26 PM
02/15/20 12:26 PM
aZLiViN
J
J_BODY Offline
I Live Here
J_BODY  Offline
I Live Here
J

aZLiViN
Originally Posted by Guitar Jones
It was my understanding the problem was in low RPM lugging of the engine that caused the problem. FCA wanted to increase the viscosity of the oil to offset this but of course that needed EPA approval. I don't know if that was ever approved.

You know GJ I don’t recall any that got towed in that we’re towing a trailer.... most of ours the story seemed along the same lines of cruising down the highway, there was a noise, and it quit. Another seemingly coincidence is that the “I just had my oil changed” story seemed to come up, but who knows how recent that actually may have been.

The frustrations of working on them is high as we come from a Cummins world where we have nice things like cylinder balance tests and can cancel injectors neither of which are available with the eco and that’s just a few things.... I’m also not a fan of any repair that starts with “see cab removal procedure” (turbo.... but this procedure will be used more with the latest body style 2500/3500 too).

The oil viscosity change was early on..... a recall on some iirc. There’s also a detailed oil change procedure they’ve updated a few times which makes a guy go hmmmmm.....

I apologize for my doom and gloom.... obviously I see the ugly end of most of these vehicles (I still have my 01 CTD and it was born far from perfect for sure). Drive em, enjoy em, hope for the best and take what this guy posts with a grain of salt... he obviously has anger issues laugh2.

Eco.... air filters seem to be overlooked on these for some reason. Of course we’re in the desert but I know “if” I had one once a year or 15-20k miles for sure.... and it would be a MOPAR filter. The last thing I want is to alter airflow from its factory designed platform.
Fuel filter..... guidelines say every 30k, I’d do it at 25.

and always carry a loaded handgun because if you “accidentally” put DEF in your fuel tank.... you’ll want to use it on yourself! (Actually I’ve seen insurance cover this)

Would I put an aftermarket tuner on? Not a chance if under warranty. One comes in the door tapped and I won’t even look at it. Been in the “you can’t void my warranty!” conversation. I’m not voiding your warranty, I’m just not working on your vehicle with an unknown added degree of difficulty being paid on factory guidelines.

Re: 2019 Ram EcoDiesel upgrades [Re: J_BODY] #2743182
02/15/20 12:59 PM
02/15/20 12:59 PM
G
Guitar Jones Offline
Guitar Jones  Offline
G

I don't work for FCA anymore so I'm not up on the current crop or their issues. But it's true we guys at the dealership really only see the broken ones so our opinions can be skewed. I know I replace a LOT of Sonata engines, an enormous amount. I would say I have personally done about 2000 engines in the last 4.5 years or so. I do 1 to 3 engines pretty much every day at work. So it's not surprising that I think they have all the durability of a potato chip. laugh2
BUT, at least Hyundai will buy you a new engine pretty much regardless of how it was taken care of.

"Follow me the wise man said, but he walked behind"

'92 D250 Club Cab CTD, 47RH conversion, pump tweaks, injectors, rear disc and hydroboost conversion.
'74 W200 Crew Cab 360, NV4500, D44, D60 and NP205 divorced transfer case. Rear disc and hydroboost coming soon!
2019 1500 Long Horn Crew Cab 4WD, 5.7 Hemi.
Re: 2019 Ram EcoDiesel upgrades [Re: J_BODY] #2743227
02/15/20 03:53 PM
02/15/20 03:53 PM
Id
M
mopeman Offline
mopar
mopeman  Offline
mopar
M

Id
Originally Posted by J_BODY
Originally Posted by Guitar Jones

You know GJ I don’t recall any that got towed in that we’re towing a trailer.... most of ours the story seemed along the same lines of cruising down the highway, there was a noise, and it quit. Another seemingly coincidence is that the “I just had my oil changed” story seemed to come up, but who knows how recent that actually may have been.

The frustrations of working on them is high as we come from a Cummins world where we have nice things like cylinder balance tests and can cancel injectors neither of which are available with the eco and that’s just a few things.... I’m also not a fan of any repair that starts with “see cab removal procedure” (turbo.... but this procedure will be used more with the latest body style 2500/3500 too).

The oil viscosity change was early on..... a recall on some iirc. There’s also a detailed oil change procedure they’ve updated a few times which makes a guy go hmmmmm.....

I apologize for my doom and gloom.... obviously I see the ugly end of most of these vehicles (I still have my 01 CTD and it was born far from perfect for sure). Drive em, enjoy em, hope for the best and take what this guy posts with a grain of salt... he obviously has anger issues laugh2.

Eco.... air filters seem to be overlooked on these for some reason. Of course we’re in the desert but I know “if” I had one once a year or 15-20k miles for sure.... and it would be a MOPAR filter. The last thing I want is to alter airflow from its factory designed platform.
Fuel filter..... guidelines say every 30k, I’d do it at 25.

and always carry a loaded handgun because if you “accidentally” put DEF in your fuel tank.... you’ll want to use it on yourself! (Actually I’ve seen insurance cover this)

Would I put an aftermarket tuner on? Not a chance if under warranty. One comes in the door tapped and I won’t even look at it. Been in the “you can’t void my warranty!” conversation. I’m not voiding your warranty, I’m just not working on your vehicle with an unknown added degree of difficulty being paid on factory guidelines.

As far as maintenance goes, I change the oil per the EVIC (8-9k), fuel filters every other oil change (so every 16-18K), cabin air filter every other oil change, and air filter every year. I agree with going with the Mopar air filter, there is a big difference in size (depth) of the aftermarket filters like a Wix compared to the Mopar filter. The Mopar air filter is deeper in the pleats and I would guess more filtration. I also use the Mopar fuel filters.

Mopar or no car
MoPar=Massivly Over Powered And Respected!

'93 W250 Ram
'68 Charger
'67 Coronet 500 my steet/strip rod-now a 6BBL!
Re: 2019 Ram EcoDiesel upgrades [Re: mopeman] #2743252
02/15/20 05:24 PM
02/15/20 05:24 PM
Missouri
G
galen Offline
super stock
galen  Offline
super stock
G

Missouri
Don't mean to hi jack but I have a 2014 Ram Laramie I bought new. I have 60k on it. I change my oil at 5000 and fuel filter/ air filter at 20k sooner if dusty conditions. I started doing my own services after the kid at the local dealer did a sub par job. And hearing the failure horror stories. I'm a retired field mechanic for Cummins. Love the Cummins but I ended up buying this mainly because being paraplegic the 1500 4x4 sets low enough I can get in it easier. And I tow maybe 6000 max. . J_Body would you steer me in the right direction for oil change procedure Also what are your thoughts on the Rotella t6. Wasn't sure what the local dealer uses, Kid said we have a big tank of it over there never any brand in my paperwork. No trouble so far, as I knock on wood.

Last edited by galen; 02/15/20 05:25 PM.
Re: 2019 Ram EcoDiesel upgrades [Re: galen] #2743370
02/15/20 10:14 PM
02/15/20 10:14 PM
aZLiViN
J
J_BODY Offline
I Live Here
J_BODY  Offline
I Live Here
J

aZLiViN
“We recommend you use 5W-40 synthetic engine oil such as Mopar or Pennzoil Platinum Euro that meets FCA Material Standard MS-12991 and the API SN engine oil category is required.”
That’s straight from service info, but our parts dept stocks Rotella T6 5/40 syn which is fine.

Be advised there is now a “gen 3” eco starting in 20.... and they changed oil filters. Be sure you’re always getting the right one. Failure to do so and they say the oil will bypass the filter and will could eventually lead to fail.

The little “tech vid” they had basically harped on that the oil filter cap should be loosened (not removed) prior to drain plug removal, and CLEAN around the cap area. Be sure to let the crankcase drain sufficiently... etc etc. pretty basic stuff, but made me think.... why are we harping on this?? Sounded to me like engineering was grasping at straws for engine failures...

Aluminum oil pan.... torque plug to 30lbft and it’ll last a long time...