Tempe, AZ
L
loco340cuda Offline
super stock
loco340cuda  Offline
super stock
L

Tempe, AZ
Thanks for sharing the video. He does an excellent job on summarizing the current situation of vintage cars.

70 Cuda 340 4 speed - now stroked to 416ci (SOLD)
2017 Mustang Shelby GT350
Re: this guy makes a good point about vintage cars [Re: theraif] #2741496
02/10/20 10:19 AM
02/10/20 10:19 AM
Benton, IL.
D
DaveRS23 Offline
Special needs idiot
DaveRS23  Offline
Special needs idiot
D

Benton, IL.
Too much shivvy talk...................................... sleep

Master, again and still
Re: this guy makes a good point about vintage cars [Re: theraif] #2741500
02/10/20 10:26 AM
02/10/20 10:26 AM
RI Deep in the rust belt
chargervert Offline
I Live Here
chargervert  Offline
I Live Here

RI Deep in the rust belt
He is right about the fact that the next generation is loosing interest in classic cars, and most of them are priced out of the market. The days of cheap muscle cars are long gone. The fact that modern cars,not just muscle cars can out perform them in every catagory,leaves them only with the one and only thing that the modern cars haven't been able to copy,and that is styling. Which explains why the resto mods are surpassing the collector cars,because people can actually use them and drive them hard as they were intended. They stop handle and out perform old school cars,with gas mileage, and reliability that our old muscle cars cannot complete with. But aside from the collectors who drive up the prices of collector cars not only out of the reach of the next generation, but out of the hands of the enthusiasts who have owned them all their lives. But there is an even larger problem that is going to put the death nail in our hobby, it is the climate change BS and the politicians who will eventually legislate our car out of existence. Their push for electric cars is a much bigger threat than a bunch of rich guys driving up the values of the cars. This generation isn't interested in preserving history, they want to destroy any of it they don't agree with, and our classic cars are in their sites. The Audi ad during the Super Bowl is proof that we are being targeted and the day will come when our history and whole way of life will be destroyed and forgotten. I applaud any young guys getting into the hobby and I have tried to help some young enthusiasts with locating cars,parts,and the use of my shop,equipment, and trailers. I have donated parts to a few up and coming young car guys. But the writing is on the wall for us, and we will be the last generation to value our classic cars.

Last edited by chargervert; 02/10/20 10:27 AM.

70 Charger R/T SE 472 Hemi 70 Charger R/T convertible 70 Charger R/T V Code Sixpack 69 Charger R/T SE Sunroofcar 68 Charger 383 68 Charger 318 71 Charger R/T 70 Challenger convertible 71 Challenger convertible 71 Cuda 340 09 Challenger R/T Classic
Re: this guy makes a good point about vintage cars [Re: loco340cuda] #2741502
02/10/20 10:27 AM
02/10/20 10:27 AM
St. Charles, MO
wingman Offline
Uncreative Title
wingman  Offline
Uncreative Title

St. Charles, MO
Originally Posted by loco340cuda
Thanks for sharing the video. He does an excellent job on summarizing the current situation of vintage cars.

Cracks me up that a guy with a huge shop with a lift, several corvettes, a porsche, several vintage race cars, and an airplane hanging in the rafters is complaining about "rich guys" ruining the hobby! His stuff that I can see in the picture alone is worth more than my house.

Yeah, price inflation sucks and it definitely deters some people from getting involved in the hobby. But "rich guys" also are the ones who keep lots of resto shops, fabricators, paint and body guys, engine guys, upholsterers, etc. in a job restoring cars. You want to play you got to pay--it has always been that way and always will be.

1969 Dodge Coronet Super Bee 383 A4
1970 Plymouth Road Runner 440 FC7 (sold)
Re: this guy makes a good point about vintage cars [Re: chargervert] #2741621
02/10/20 04:28 PM
02/10/20 04:28 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
jcc  Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
J

Bitopia
"This generation isn't interested in preserving history, they want to destroy any of it they don't agree with, and our classic cars are in their sites."

Since when is any generation obligated to preserve a previous generations indulgences?

I guess iIm guilty as charged, I tossed my parents croquet set back in the 60's.

And applying the motive of intent to "destroy", IMO rather unfairly means this dust up will only end when one generation does off, don't expect any tears shed.

Times change, dinosaurs didn't adapt, I see a lesson there.

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: this guy makes a good point about vintage cars [Re: jcc] #2741625
02/10/20 04:38 PM
02/10/20 04:38 PM
Fulton County, PA
C
CMcAllister Offline
Mr. Helpful
CMcAllister  Offline
Mr. Helpful
C

Fulton County, PA
As much as I try not to, I look around at what's going on - personal interests, activities & avocations, politics, social attitudes & norms, people in general - my conclusion is...I'm glad I'm not a young man. In fact, I think I may have been born a few years too late and missed some of the really good old days.

If the results don't match the theory, change the theory.
Re: this guy makes a good point about vintage cars [Re: CMcAllister] #2741672
02/10/20 06:04 PM
02/10/20 06:04 PM
Calgary, Alberta Canada
a12rag Offline
master
a12rag  Offline
master

Calgary, Alberta Canada
Yes, times change - and like some, I would rather they not . . . but, adapt or die ?!?!? . . . . amazing to think that the climate change groups, were all fed that in school, and are now adult age, but only have taken in ONE side of the equation ! Here in Canada we have a government that feels we should be killing our economy and not being energy self sufficient !! . . . we have oil & gas reserves, proven to be greater than Saudi Arabia - yet the greenie weenies don't want that developed. Although they still want their comfortable lives, including the government handouts they get - where does that $$$ come from ??? A HUGE amount from oil & gas industry, and the ripple effect it has on our own manufacturing ! Crazy to think that in eastern Canada they accept oil tankers up the St. Lawrence Seaway, with oil from Saudi Arabia, Venezuela, etc . . . but to build a pipeline to take Western Canadian oil & gas - NO WAY !! . . . . or what about shipping to USA ?? We are neighbors, not looking to kill each other - like the Mid East countries that we pay $$$ to for their oil & gas !!! Sorry, rant off . . . back to the vintage cars . . .

So, with the times changing, so goes the interests . . . and the cars we love & cherish are 50yrs or older ! Not sure about many here, but I started working on my car, cause that is all I could afford ! Could not pay a mechanic to fix it ! Then along the way, with better job/pay, was able to get car(s) painted, etc . . . and suddenly its 30 years later and my car(s) are "vintage" . . . Don't want to have a 1:1 scale model in the garage, I love to drive them ! If there are others out there that can appreciate them, then that is great !!

Not sure how it will all play out, but I for one like to drive and enjoy my car(s). Visiting friends in far off places, going to car shows, etc . . . enjoy them while you can !

Re: this guy makes a good point about vintage cars [Re: a12rag] #2741720
02/10/20 07:49 PM
02/10/20 07:49 PM
Oh
P
parksr5 Offline
super stock
parksr5  Offline
super stock
P

Oh
I agree with some of what he says. My Fiancé and I have been looking for some time at buying a nice street, strip car and really cannot find anything decent that is affordable. It doesn't need to be perfect but, decent. I look all the time and find almost nothing but overpriced perfumed pigs or overpriced basket cases with many missing parts.

In the last 4-5 years, I've found maybe 2-3 cars that would fit the bill. One was gone within hours. I really wish I could have talked her into the other one (it was 25k and she just couldn't swallow it). The last one, she didn't like the color combo. The cheapest was $18k.

With that said, I'm about half the age of a lot on here, if anyone was inspired while watching the video to sell their cars to the next generation to keep things going, keep me in mind. grin If anyone has a line on a good car, I would appreciate that too.

We've really been looking for 68-69 Dart GTS big block auto's or 63-65 Plymouth or Dodge autos to run in NSS.

Last edited by parksr5; 02/10/20 07:59 PM.
Re: this guy makes a good point about vintage cars [Re: parksr5] #2741724
02/10/20 08:18 PM
02/10/20 08:18 PM
It's a dry heat
gtx6970 Offline
Too Many Posts
gtx6970  Offline
Too Many Posts

It's a dry heat
Guy has quite an ego.

Muscle cars value will drop , no different than Model Ts or Model As did for our previous generation.

My next car ( here very soon I hope ) I could honestly care less as how the future generation looks at it or cares about it. or even future value. Once in my grubby old man hands it will stay in my name till Im breathing dirt.
And Once Im gone , I'm very confident my 2 girls will take extremely good care of it . They each want one of there own. Now I have my doubts a Hemi or wing car is in there future ( but I could be wrong )
BUT , at least with them the old cars will be just fine.

Re: this guy makes a good point about vintage cars [Re: wingman] #2741738
02/10/20 09:17 PM
02/10/20 09:17 PM
Between Houston & Galveston TX
SattyNoCar Offline
Smarter than no class Flappergass by a mile
SattyNoCar  Offline
Smarter than no class Flappergass by a mile

Between Houston & Galveston TX
Originally Posted by wingman

Cracks me up that a guy with a huge shop with a lift, several corvettes, a porsche, several vintage race cars, and an airplane hanging in the rafters is complaining about "rich guys" ruining the hobby! His stuff that I can see in the picture alone is worth more than my house.

Yeah, price inflation sucks and it definitely deters some people from getting involved in the hobby. But "rich guys" also are the ones who keep lots of resto shops, fabricators, paint and body guys, engine guys, upholsterers, etc. in a job restoring cars. You want to play you got to pay--it has always been that way and always will be.

Well, apparently you know nothing about Casey. Where that is filmed is actually a private school he started called 'Genius Garage' for engineer students to get practical hands on training rather than just reading theories in a book. While some of the cars are Casey's, probably everything in that garage his students have had a hand in. He's also taken them racing. So, no, that garage is not just his garage filled with his playthings.

Linky >>> http://geniusgarageracing.com

John

The dream is dead, long live the dream.......😥
Re: this guy makes a good point about vintage cars [Re: theraif] #2741750
02/10/20 09:55 PM
02/10/20 09:55 PM
New Jersey
Moparnutcase Offline
mopar
Moparnutcase  Offline
mopar

New Jersey
Yep, just like everything else, the rich [censored] things up for the normal crowd who actually care about things and not what they are worth. If you are offended by this statement then the truth hurts. Sorry, NOT sorry.

1977 Chrysler Cordoba 400-4brl,T-tops,triple blue,one family owned until my purchase,under 11,300 miles as of 10/20/2016
2012 Dodge Durango Crew AWD (wifey)
2020 Ram Laramie Crew Cab 4x4
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited (daughter)
Re: this guy makes a good point about vintage cars [Re: Moparnutcase] #2741763
02/10/20 10:44 PM
02/10/20 10:44 PM
Kirkland, Washington
Pacnorthcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
Pacnorthcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

Kirkland, Washington
Originally Posted by Moparnutcase
Yep, just like everything else, the rich [censored] things up for the normal crowd who actually care about things and not what they are worth. If you are offended by this statement then the truth hurts. Sorry, NOT sorry.

....wahhhhhhhhhh

Re: this guy makes a good point about vintage cars [Re: theraif] #2741770
02/10/20 11:05 PM
02/10/20 11:05 PM
Usa
A
A39Coronet Offline
super stock
A39Coronet  Offline
super stock
A

Usa
If cars didn't bring big money, the aftermarket restoration products wouldn't exist. I'll be the first to admit I don't get excited about date codes.or.part numbers, but the ones that do have reason to.

Plenty of affordable muscle cars out there to hot rod for young kids. They aren't 69' Camaros or V codes, but fox body mustangs/LS cars/SN95 mustangs are all affordable and speed parts are cheap.

Follow my G3 Hemi Barracuda build on Youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSDAWczXoZw&list=PLTus_wQu8POADHEeJNJp2nr4NMHEyB9EK

2015 Tri-State Stock Super Stock Champion
2017 Monster Mopar Pro Winner
2018 Monster Mopar No Box Winner
Re: this guy makes a good point about vintage cars [Re: DaveRS23] #2741810
02/11/20 02:41 AM
02/11/20 02:41 AM
Phila
P
PhillyRag Offline
top fuel
PhillyRag  Offline
top fuel
P

Phila
Originally Posted by DaveRS23
Too much shivvy talk...................................... sleep

Yeap: 50% of video was all about the history/intrigue/ownership of the car he's "giving" away. Kinda sounds like the marketing hype that he is blasting about why vintage cars are "artificially over priced". Then you have this "savior" of the vintage/musclecar hobby on another video "What makes a true CAR GUY? Infamous VIPER driver talks", discussing the "hobby" while washing his Viper. That's a "performance" car NOT a Vintage or Muscle Car in the TRUE sense.

Wouldn't it be nice if he and the "Crushed Charger" fellow blended philosophies and actions?
Now that would make a Nice Statement video.

Re: this guy makes a good point about vintage cars [Re: PhillyRag] #2741812
02/11/20 04:13 AM
02/11/20 04:13 AM
Northern NJ
StukaJU87 Offline
master
StukaJU87  Offline
master

Northern NJ
Just an observation. I have noticed that when I am out driving my car, most of the interest and comments I get are from guys that appear to be older than me, and I am 56. I have NEVER had a 20something come up to me and comment or ask a question at a cruise in or at the local haunts. Most younger dudes don't seem to give it a second glance.

Scott

1969 Super Bee, 383/4 speed

Re: this guy makes a good point about vintage cars [Re: Moparnutcase] #2741863
02/11/20 10:12 AM
02/11/20 10:12 AM
St. Charles, MO
wingman Offline
Uncreative Title
wingman  Offline
Uncreative Title

St. Charles, MO
Originally Posted by Moparnutcase

Not offended. That's the way the free market works. When the supply of old interesting cars is small, and a lot of people want them, the price goes up.
If you are selling a car and one guy offers you $5,000 and a second guy offers you $10,000, which one are you going to sell it to?
Obviously any seller in his right mind is going to take the $10,000, regardless of who "cares about it" more. Over time, this is how prices get inflated. It's not some grand conspiracy by "rich guys" to ruin your fun--it's just supply and demand at work.

And no, I'm not rich. In fact, I can't even afford to own a muscle car right now. But when I sold my Road Runner to pay for the kid's braces, and I was able to sell it for $5,000 more than I paid for it, do you think I took the extra $5,000? You darn right I did.

1969 Dodge Coronet Super Bee 383 A4
1970 Plymouth Road Runner 440 FC7 (sold)
Re: this guy makes a good point about vintage cars [Re: jcc] #2742018
02/11/20 05:21 PM
02/11/20 05:21 PM
RI Deep in the rust belt
chargervert Offline
I Live Here
chargervert  Offline
I Live Here

RI Deep in the rust belt
Originally Posted by jcc
"This generation isn't interested in preserving history, they want to destroy any of it they don't agree with, and our classic cars are in their sites."

Since when is any generation obligated to preserve a previous generations indulgences?

I guess iIm guilty as charged, I tossed my parents croquet set back in the 60's.

And applying the motive of intent to "destroy", IMO rather unfairly means this dust up will only end when one generation does off, don't expect any tears shed.

Times change, dinosaurs didn't adapt, I see a lesson there.

We have done everything for this generation, and believe me, I know that the only tears to be shed will be when they throw a full blown temper tantrum because we are not here to pay the bills for them anymore! And yes their intent for better or worse, is to destroy internal combustion powered vehicles, and our classic cars are squarely in their sites,so be prepared it's coming.

Last edited by chargervert; 02/11/20 05:28 PM.

70 Charger R/T SE 472 Hemi 70 Charger R/T convertible 70 Charger R/T V Code Sixpack 69 Charger R/T SE Sunroofcar 68 Charger 383 68 Charger 318 71 Charger R/T 70 Challenger convertible 71 Challenger convertible 71 Cuda 340 09 Challenger R/T Classic
Re: this guy makes a good point about vintage cars [Re: wingman] #2742039
02/11/20 06:16 PM
02/11/20 06:16 PM
Home
S
SRT6776 Offline
I hate internal combustion engines!
SRT6776  Offline
I hate internal combustion engines!
S

Home
Originally Posted by wingman

From what I've seen he only has a late 90's viper but thinks its a Bugatti Veyron.

Re: this guy makes a good point about vintage cars [Re: wingman] #2742120
02/11/20 11:18 PM
02/11/20 11:18 PM
New Jersey
Moparnutcase Offline
mopar
Moparnutcase  Offline
mopar

New Jersey
Most people have a short memory.....muscle cars were cheap until the stock market crashed and the "money" people started to buy into the HOBBY(which it is NOT anymore because of them)as a safe place for the money. And as usually happens they have to try to outdo one another hence the prices keep climbing. So to the pussy wahhhhh computer tough guy, like I said, you must be one of them, a true a-hole. Thanks for proving me correct.

1977 Chrysler Cordoba 400-4brl,T-tops,triple blue,one family owned until my purchase,under 11,300 miles as of 10/20/2016
2012 Dodge Durango Crew AWD (wifey)
2020 Ram Laramie Crew Cab 4x4
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited (daughter)
Page 1 of 2 1 2