02/03/20 11:14 PM
Kirkland, Washington
Pacnorthcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
Pacnorthcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

Kirkland, Washington
Originally Posted by Transman
On dual master cylinder equipped vehicles - does any brake fluid from one reservoir merge with the other reservoir at any time in a normally functioning system?

No

Re: How do YOU do a brake fluid flush ? [Re: Pacnorthcuda] #2739484
02/03/20 11:24 PM
02/03/20 11:24 PM
Michigan
A
A727Tflite Online content
master
A727Tflite  Online Content
master
A

Michigan
Originally Posted by Pacnorthcuda
On dual master cylinder equipped vehicles - does any brake fluid from one reservoir merge with the other reservoir at any time in a normally functioning system?

No

Didn’t think so.

So why do guys still advocate bleeding the right rear first, then left rear, then right front then left front.

Just wonderin’.

I’m guessing just a habit from the old single master days?

Re: How do YOU do a brake fluid flush ? [Re: A727Tflite] #2739498
02/04/20 12:12 AM
02/04/20 12:12 AM
Fulton County, PA
C
CMcAllister Offline
Mr. Helpful
CMcAllister  Offline
Mr. Helpful
C

Fulton County, PA

No

Didn’t think so.

So why do guys still advocate bleeding the right rear first, then left rear, then right front then left front.

Just wonderin’.

Mostly habit. ABS? if not, typically the rear line will run to the rear, then split. Same with the fronts, single line out will split at some point. Just trying to get the air out of the longest runs first. Hit all 4 corners, run the pedal a few times, and hit all 4 corners again two or three times to verify. Use clear tubing on the bleeder to see what's coming out.

If the results don't match the theory, change the theory.
Re: How do YOU do a brake fluid flush ? [Re: dOc !] #2739501
02/04/20 12:20 AM
02/04/20 12:20 AM
Fulton County, PA
C
CMcAllister Offline
Mr. Helpful
CMcAllister  Offline
Mr. Helpful
C

Fulton County, PA
Originally Posted by Doc Fiberglass
FIRST THING ... I’ll bet most of you posting here have done more brake work IN A COUPLE OF MONTHS than I’ve done in my lifetime!

But let me stirthepot ... devil

What happens to all that old junk fluid AND TRASH in the bottom part of the caliper during the flush process ?

Shouldn’t the caliper be removed from the brackets and turned 180 degrees to get everything out ?

Depends. Does your OCD let you sleep at night if you don't? Unless the system was really nasty, I just run it until I get clean fluid. I suppose one could pull the caliper and shake it up or turn it upside down and pump some fluid through. If it's that bad, maybe need to fix or replace the components.

Re: How do YOU do a brake fluid flush ? [Re: CMcAllister] #2739504
02/04/20 12:30 AM
02/04/20 12:30 AM
Florida STAYcation
dOc ! Offline OP
The village idiot's idiot
dOc !  Offline OP

Florida STAYcation
Originally Posted by CMcAllister
FIRST THING ... I’ll bet most of you posting here have done more brake work IN A COUPLE OF MONTHS than I’ve done in my lifetime!

What happens to all that old junk fluid AND TRASH in the bottom part of the caliper during the flush process ?

Shouldn’t the caliper be removed from the brackets and turned 180 degrees to get everything out ?

Depends. Does your OCD let you sleep at night if you don't? Unless the system was really nasty, I just run it until I get clean fluid. I suppose one could pull the caliper and shake it up or turn it upside down and pump some fluid through. If it's that bad, maybe need to fix or replace the components.

OCD and properly emptying and cleaning out the junk brake fluid ?

Whaaat ? ... might I suggest you FOCUS on the topic at hand !!

Re: How do YOU do a brake fluid flush ? [Re: dOc !] #2739507
02/04/20 12:44 AM
02/04/20 12:44 AM
Fulton County, PA
C
CMcAllister Offline
Mr. Helpful
CMcAllister  Offline
Mr. Helpful
C

Fulton County, PA
Originally Posted by CMcAllister

OCD and properly emptying and cleaning out the junk brake fluid ?

Whaaat ? ... might I suggest you FOCUS on the topic at hand !!

I was trying to answer th.....oh look, a squirrel!

Re: How do YOU do a brake fluid flush ? [Re: CMcAllister] #2739511
02/04/20 12:54 AM
02/04/20 12:54 AM
Florida STAYcation
dOc ! Offline OP
dOc !  Offline OP

Florida STAYcation
Ahhhh YES .... cMc .., the squirrel ! wave

Re: How do YOU do a brake fluid flush ? [Re: A727Tflite] #2739611
02/04/20 12:07 PM
02/04/20 12:07 PM
north of coder
moparx Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"
moparx  Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"

north of coder

No

Didn’t think so.

Just wonderin’.

take a look inside the plastic reservoir of a new vehicle that has a single fill spout peeking out from under the cowl. it will fill BOTH sides of the master, with a divider wall only about 3/4 of the height of the reservoir. yes, they DO mix until the fluid level reaches a certain point, due to "xxxx" happening.
the old iron, four bolt masters were indeed separate chambers that could not merge with each other.
and then again, look at the "cross brake" operation of certain K cars and early minivans. those were bled left rear, right front, right rear, left front. [or maybe the opposite, i forget]
beer

Re: How do YOU do a brake fluid flush ? [Re: moparx] #2739647
02/04/20 01:49 PM
02/04/20 01:49 PM
Michigan
A
A727Tflite Online content
master
A727Tflite  Online Content
master
A

Michigan
Originally Posted by moparx

No

Didn’t think so.

Just wonderin’.

take a look inside the plastic reservoir of a new vehicle that has a single fill spout peeking out from under the cowl. it will fill BOTH sides of the master, with a divider wall only about 3/4 of the height of the reservoir. yes, they DO mix until the fluid level reaches a certain point, due to "xxxx" happening.
the old iron, four bolt masters were indeed separate chambers that could not merge with each other.
and then again, look at the "cross brake" operation of certain K cars and early minivans. those were bled left rear, right front, right rear, left front. [or maybe the opposite, i forget]
beer

Good point Moparx - but thankfully no one here has brought up the K car system in this discussion and if they did the rear right then rear left would not hold true either. (I forgot about those split systems back in the day).

Anything merging in the common reservoir would still not dictate rr/rl then fr/fl I don’t think.

Re: How do YOU do a brake fluid flush ? [Re: A727Tflite] #2739669
02/04/20 02:42 PM
02/04/20 02:42 PM
Fulton County, PA
C
CMcAllister Offline
Mr. Helpful
CMcAllister  Offline
Mr. Helpful
C

Fulton County, PA

Good point Moparx - but thankfully no one here has brought up the K car system in this discussion and if they did the rear right then rear left would not hold true either. (I forgot about those split systems back in the day).

Anything merging in the common reservoir would still not dictate rr/rl then fr/fl I don’t think.

The common plastic reservoir Mopar master cylinder is open in the top of the tank to equalize the level under normal conditions. Once fluid exits the master cylinder front and rear systems are separate, or should be. ABS and some weird experiments from the past will be different. I try to not work on any of that anymore and just deal with the race/muscle car stuff.

Re: How do YOU do a brake fluid flush ? [Re: 71GTX471] #2739686
02/04/20 03:28 PM
02/04/20 03:28 PM
Rio Linda, CA
John_Kunkel Offline
Too Many Posts
John_Kunkel  Offline
Too Many Posts

Rio Linda, CA
Originally Posted by 71GTX471
Air leakage at the bleeder threads when using a clear tubing will fool you in to thinking you have air in the system .

That's what motivated me to get a pressure bleeder.

The INTERNET, the MISinformation superhighway
Re: How do YOU do a brake fluid flush ? [Re: John_Kunkel] #2739733
02/04/20 07:04 PM
02/04/20 07:04 PM
Lake Orion, MI
goldduster318 Offline
pro stock
goldduster318  Offline
pro stock

Lake Orion, MI
Originally Posted by jcruse64
I read a recent Mopar Action article by Rick E, and he'd recommended going over to DOT 5, after doing a full flush (DOT 5 can't be with the earlier grades apparently). Is he right; if you're already doing a system flush, is it better to swap to 5?

No, don't do it, its a different chemistry fluid. It's an absolute no-no on an ABS/ESC vehicle especially, Keep in the gylcol fluids (3/4/5.1). New systems only if paint is more important to you than brake pedal feel.

Originally Posted by John_Kunkel
Originally Posted by goldduster318
Originally Posted by John_Kunkel
With a pressure bleeder, open each bleeder until the fluid runs clear. Newer systems with ABS are more complex, they require a scanner to run the ABS pump.

Unless there is a ton of air in the ABS system you don't need to run the pump.

Vehicles vary, the newer LX cars even require that the car be at a certain angle (rear elevated) when bleeding brakes.

I know that specific car well, but for a brake fluid flush there should never be any air in the system, and it has no way of getting in (cap is still the highest point in the system). When you do have air, the ESC module being on the passenger side of the car behind the headlight makes it have more runs of almost horizontal tubing so they want some bubbles in that to come back to the master cylinder.

The diagonal split system is the most common system on the road now, basically in everything short of pickups, wrangler, charger/challenger/300 has it now. So FR/RL is one circuit and FL/RR is another. If Doc is talking anything FWD, it's got that system.

As far as why you'd bleed the furthest away first, its just to get the longest run done first. If you were taking air out you'd want to do this anyway so it's a force of habit.

'70 Duster 470hp 340/T56 Magnum/8 3/4 3.23 Sure-Grip
Re: How do YOU do a brake fluid flush ? [Re: Canucklehead] #2740677
02/07/20 02:38 PM
02/07/20 02:38 PM
State of Confusion
hp383 Offline
Just a normal tag again
hp383  Offline
Just a normal tag again

State of Confusion
Originally Posted by Canucklehead
I work at a Toyota dealer, we do lots of brake flushes. We have a Wynns X-tend machine which pressurizes the M/C, and has a recovery hose that goes on the bleeder screw. Several minute flush on the right rear to replace the fluid in the master and RR caliper/cylinder, two minutes on the rest of the wheels. It is definitely a part of the maintenance program.

So how much new fluid is used to do a flush like this? several minutes at each bleeder with a pressurized system sounds like it could be several gallons of fluid.

Join the Penguin Liberation Front!!
Stop the Hippo Occupation!
Re: How do YOU do a brake fluid flush ? [Re: hp383] #2740847
02/08/20 01:50 AM
02/08/20 01:50 AM
Florida STAYcation
dOc ! Offline OP
dOc !  Offline OP

Florida STAYcation
I called a local Toyota dealer here ... service manager was speechless...when asked about the COMPLETE FLUSHING of the caliper !

Re: How do YOU do a brake fluid flush ? [Re: dOc !] #2740962
02/08/20 03:00 PM
02/08/20 03:00 PM
Fulton County, PA
C
CMcAllister Offline
Mr. Helpful
CMcAllister  Offline
Mr. Helpful
C

Fulton County, PA
I'll bet.

Re: How do YOU do a brake fluid flush ? [Re: CMcAllister] #2741795
02/11/20 12:51 AM
02/11/20 12:51 AM
Florida STAYcation
dOc ! Offline OP
dOc !  Offline OP

Florida STAYcation
Well cMac ... how would YOU shuck and jive if you jsta quoted on a complete brake fluid flush for 180$ when the way they do it does NOT flush out ALL the contaminated fluid ?

Re: How do YOU do a brake fluid flush ? [Re: dOc !] #2741930
02/11/20 01:19 PM
02/11/20 01:19 PM
Berwyn, IL
challenger70 Offline
master
challenger70  Offline
master

Berwyn, IL
Well cMac ... how would YOU shuck and jive if you jsta quoted on a complete brake fluid flush for 180$ when the way they do it does NOT flush out ALL the contaminated fluid ?

That sounds downright cheap, that's an hour of labor around here at a dealer.

Re: How do YOU do a brake fluid flush ? [Re: challenger70] #2741934
02/11/20 01:28 PM
02/11/20 01:28 PM
Florida STAYcation
dOc ! Offline OP
dOc !  Offline OP

Florida STAYcation
Originally Posted by challenger70

That sounds downright cheap, that's an hour of labor around here at a dealer.

Dealership labor rates are 180$ per hour ? eek

....and they’re not doing the job right ?? whistling

Re: How do YOU do a brake fluid flush ? [Re: goldduster318] #2741946
02/11/20 01:59 PM
02/11/20 01:59 PM
Lost and Spaced
B
bboogieart Offline
master
bboogieart  Offline
master
B

Lost and Spaced
I use a pickle jar and clear tubing from home depot to catch the fluid.

This is what I do. up
No idea what some might charge as I can't see paying 4 something I can do myself. shruggy
I would suggest looking for some one offering the job at a price a person would find exceptable.

I have mechanical Aptitude.
I can screw up anything.
Re: How do YOU do a brake fluid flush ? [Re: goldduster318] #2741949
02/11/20 02:05 PM
02/11/20 02:05 PM
Wheatfield, NY
Cuda340 Offline
top fuel
Cuda340  Offline
top fuel

Wheatfield, NY
[quote=jcruse64]I read a recent Mopar Action article by Rick E, and he'd recommended going over to DOT 5, after doing a full flush (DOT 5 can't be with the earlier grades apparently). Is he right; if you're already doing a system flush, is it better to swap to 5?

No, don't do it, its a different chemistry fluid. It's an absolute no-no on an ABS/ESC vehicle especially, Keep in the gylcol fluids (3/4/5.1). New systems only if paint is more important to you than brake pedal feel.

DOT 5 is silicone based, but from my understanding they can be mixed with DOT3 &4. The DOT won't leave it up to the end user to make that call whether they can be mixed or not, they are compatible correct? Please elaborate on pedal feel. Does the DOT 5 compress more than the glycol based 3 and 4? On a fresh system why would it be a disadvantage to run 5?

Jeff

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3