M
Morty426 Offline
master
Morty426  Offline
master
M

Sacramento CA
Originally Posted by Jim_Lusk
I don't know if the seven year thing is still the fact or not. Certain cars were scrapped in a way that they could never be registered in California again. Those cars never seem to leave the computer system. I'm not sure how that worked. I know a certain Daytona Iroc R/T that was saved, but cannot be registered...

Jim,

I'm going to guess that those cars are part of a Cash for Clunkers Bill or some other source of BS. I'm going to guess again that DMV moved those cars to a status like "Non-Operation" which lasts forever in the system.

Morty

Re: Calif title ?? [Re: Morty426] #2734493
01/19/20 02:02 PM
01/19/20 02:02 PM
Fresno, CA
Jim_Lusk Offline
I Live Here
Jim_Lusk  Offline
I Live Here

Fresno, CA
Originally Posted by Morty426
I don't know if the seven year thing is still the fact or not. Certain cars were scrapped in a way that they could never be registered in California again. Those cars never seem to leave the computer system. I'm not sure how that worked. I know a certain Daytona Iroc R/T that was saved, but cannot be registered...

Jim,

I'm going to guess that those cars are part of a Cash for Clunkers Bill or some other source of BS. I'm going to guess again that DMV moved those cars to a status like "Non-Operation" which lasts forever in the system.

Morty

The Daytona in question was prior to the CFC program (2009). It's been in the hands of the same guy for around 15 years. He did run it at a track event in 2009 and had had it for a while at that time. He's got a couple of TIII cars. When he pulled it out of the yard they misread the VIN and said it could be registered...

Re: Calif title ?? [Re: John Brown] #2734494
01/19/20 02:03 PM
01/19/20 02:03 PM
Fresno, CA
Jim_Lusk Offline
I Live Here
Jim_Lusk  Offline
I Live Here

Fresno, CA
Originally Posted by John Brown

Might not be able to be registered in California, but I'd bet it wouldn't be much of a problem if it went out of state. If it ever went back, I could see a problem cropping up at that time though.

Very likely.

Re: Calif title ?? [Re: Jim_Lusk] #2734711
01/20/20 12:46 AM
01/20/20 12:46 AM
Sacramento CA
M
Morty426 Offline
master
Morty426  Offline
master
M

Sacramento CA

Jim,

Morty

The Daytona in question was prior to the CFC program (2009). It's been in the hands of the same guy for around 15 years. He did run it at a track event in 2009 and had had it for a while at that time. He's got a couple of TIII cars. When he pulled it out of the yard they misread the VIN and said it could be registered...

If it came out of a yard then it was scraped but you should still be able to get a salvaged title unless it entered the yard under special circumstances. Very odd.

Re: Calif title ?? [Re: Morty426] #2734752
01/20/20 05:59 AM
01/20/20 05:59 AM
On the run…
BloFish Offline
I Live Here
BloFish  Offline
I Live Here

On the run…
There is such a title as “unsalvagable” it is not reversible under any circumstances.

It really doesn't matter whether you win or lose…
as long as you look good doing it!

‘65 A100
‘69 ‘Cuda
‘73 Vega GT
‘06 Mega Cab
‘14 Mercedes SLK
Re: Calif title ?? [Re: BloFish] #2734841
01/20/20 11:38 AM
01/20/20 11:38 AM
Sacramento CA
M
Morty426 Offline
master
Morty426  Offline
master
M

Sacramento CA
Originally Posted by BloFish
There is such a title as “unsalvagable” it is not reversible under any circumstances.

Is that the status they place on a vehicle that is seized for having stolen parts on it?

Re: Calif title ?? [Re: Morty426] #2734844
01/20/20 11:49 AM
01/20/20 11:49 AM
South Bend
John Brown Offline
top fuel
John Brown  Offline
top fuel

South Bend

Is that the status they place on a vehicle that is seized for having stolen parts on it?

I know that Texas and Washington state brand titles "For Destruction Only". Up until just lately there were ways around that if you had junk yard connections. Since 2019 that option has gone away too. I am an ex-used car dealer, and still in touch with some others, so I hear some of the good and bad things that are currently happening.

July 19th should be "Drive Like Rockford Day". R.I.P. Jimmie.
Re: Calif title ?? [Re: Morty426] #2734845
01/20/20 11:52 AM
01/20/20 11:52 AM
Super Spudsville
Mr PotatoHead Offline
Half Baked
Mr PotatoHead  Offline
Half Baked

Super Spudsville
My two were simple old crusty mopars that got saved from the crusher and I think the titles were the open ones signed when the cars were brought to the yard. But it was overstressed to me the cars were dead in cali.

I dont know currently what they do on cars with bad parts but in the 90-s I bought a older 5.0 car and it had a newer fuel injected 5.0 I took to the dealership to sort some things out on and they informed me the motor/trans was hot but when we called the state boys, they came out and said since it was in a running car they would do nothing, if it were on a shop floor they would of took it, I never understood that whole deal.

STOP POTATO HATE!
Re: Calif title ?? [Re: Morty426] #2735055
01/20/20 08:05 PM
01/20/20 08:05 PM
On the run…
BloFish Offline
I Live Here
BloFish  Offline
I Live Here

On the run…

No, it occurs when the vehicle has been involved in an accident, and the insurance company determines that is unrepairable and totals it. At that point is is titled as unsalvagable and is not to be removed from the salvage yard or sold as a complete car. Parts can be sold, but the frame must be destroyed along with the vin.

‘65 A100
‘69 ‘Cuda
‘73 Vega GT
‘06 Mega Cab
‘14 Mercedes SLK
Re: Calif title ?? [Re: BloFish] #2735087
01/20/20 10:31 PM
01/20/20 10:31 PM
Fresno, CA
Jim_Lusk Offline
I Live Here
Jim_Lusk  Offline
I Live Here

Fresno, CA

No, it occurs when the vehicle has been involved in an accident, and the insurance company determines that is unrepairable and totals it. At that point is is titled as unsalvagable and is not to be removed from the salvage yard or sold as a complete car. Parts can be sold, but the frame must be destroyed along with the vin.

That was not the case with this particular Daytona. I think it needed a fender, but that was it. No frame damage at all. It came out of a self serve yard here in the valley.

Re: Calif title ?? [Re: BloFish] #2735105
01/20/20 11:37 PM
01/20/20 11:37 PM
Sacramento CA
M
Morty426 Offline
master
Morty426  Offline
master
M

Sacramento CA

Then what is the determining factor between salvage and unsalvageable?

Re: Calif title ?? [Re: Morty426] #2735209
01/21/20 10:19 AM
01/21/20 10:19 AM
On the run…
BloFish Offline
I Live Here
BloFish  Offline
I Live Here

On the run…
Salvaged can be sold and registered.

‘65 A100
‘69 ‘Cuda
‘73 Vega GT
‘06 Mega Cab
‘14 Mercedes SLK
Re: Calif title ?? [Re: Morty426] #2735246
01/21/20 12:18 PM
01/21/20 12:18 PM
South Bend
John Brown Offline
top fuel
John Brown  Offline
top fuel

South Bend

Then what is the determining factor between salvage and unsalvageable?

Some of the time whoever makes that call must have no idea what's repairable and what isn't. I've seen Corvettes burned to the ground with salvage titles (salvage titles are for vehicles that can be rebuilt and titled as rebuilt) and have seen Ford trucks that went offroad and through a fence with scratches all over, but were still driveable with no broken glass or airbags deployed, that had destruction only titles (not allowed to be repaired or retitled). Maybe they have a wheel in the office that they use to determine which one gets what treatment. I've also seen cars that were in so called flood areas where the water was only up to the bottom of the hub caps, with NO water in the interior or wiring, where titles have been stamped as salvage. H*ll, there shouldn't even have been any insurance claim on them. I don't know how some of these insurance companies doing this stay in business.

Don't even want to get into where insurance adjusters are buying the same cars that they have been involved with, but in my book, it's next to criminal what they are doing.

July 19th should be "Drive Like Rockford Day". R.I.P. Jimmie.
Page 2 of 2 1 2