@
@#$%&*! Offline
New user name, Same old jerk!
@#$%&*!  Offline
New user name, Same old jerk!
@

Thigh-Gap Junction
Originally Posted by 6PAX
Is it necessary to replace the gasket between the top and the body of the carb when putting the top back on or can I reuse the existing gasket if it's not broken or brittle?

I pretty much ALWAYS reuse the gasket. It usually wants to come off with the lid but may be stuck to the body in places. Gotta unstick it from the base where needed before lifting the lid off. twocents

Re: Motor flooding when not running [Re: @#$%&*!] #2733447
01/15/20 07:18 PM
01/15/20 07:18 PM
Detroit area
6PAX Offline OP
master
6PAX  Offline OP
master

Detroit area
This afternoon I took apart the Eddy 750 carb that was originally on the car when this all started. The floats were not hung up at all and were at the proper settings. I cleaned the needles and seats even though they did not look dirty. In fact, everything inside the carb looked bright and clean. I also blew everything out with air before reassembly. Put the carb back together and back on the car. Pulled all the plugs again and dried them all off. Tried to start the car and no dice. Strong smell of gas and the carb was wet all over. I guess I will have to try replacing the fuel pump although I have never had nor heard of a fuel pump that pumped too much fuel when it went bad. I'm getting tired of all of this. Time to start ridding myself of my cars.

Re: Motor flooding when not running [Re: 6PAX] #2733464
01/15/20 08:12 PM
01/15/20 08:12 PM
TN
1DGEMAN Offline
mopar
1DGEMAN  Offline
mopar

TN
Did you ever check to see what the fuel pressure is? Seems like a couple of tests is better than throwing parts at it.

Real Men shift for themselves
Re: Motor flooding when not running [Re: 6PAX] #2733473
01/15/20 08:55 PM
01/15/20 08:55 PM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
This afternoon I took apart the Eddy 750 carb that was originally on the car when this all started. The floats were not hung up at all and were at the proper settings. I cleaned the needles and seats even though they did not look dirty. In fact, everything inside the carb looked bright and clean. I also blew everything out with air before reassembly. Put the carb back together and back on the car. Pulled all the plugs again and dried them all off. Tried to start the car and no dice. Strong smell of gas and the carb was wet all over. I guess I will have to try replacing the fuel pump although I have never had nor heard of a fuel pump that pumped too much fuel when it went bad. I'm getting tired of all of this. Time to start ridding myself of my cars.

Did you check the fuel cap.. is this car in a heated shop.. what year is the car
wave

Re: Motor flooding when not running [Re: MR_P_BODY] #2733496
01/15/20 10:38 PM
01/15/20 10:38 PM
Detroit area
6PAX Offline OP
master
6PAX  Offline OP
master

Detroit area
Originally Posted by MR_P_BODY

Did you check the fuel cap.. is this car in a heated shop.. what year is the car
wave

I did open the cap but it made no difference and while I do have heat in the garage, I haven't had it on due to the 40 degree temps. 67 GTX.

Re: Motor flooding when not running [Re: 6PAX] #2733523
01/16/20 12:58 AM
01/16/20 12:58 AM
CT
GTX MATT Offline
master
GTX MATT  Offline
master

CT
Originally Posted by MR_P_BODY

wave

I did open the cap but it made no difference and while I do have heat in the garage, I haven't had it on due to the 40 degree temps. 67 GTX.

If you want to rid yourself of the GTX you can send it my way. wave

I'm still looking for my old '67, RS23L77152552

Last edited by GTX MATT; 01/16/20 01:07 AM.

Now I need to pin those needles, got to feel that heat
Hear my motor screamin while I'm tearin up the street
Re: Motor flooding when not running [Re: 6PAX] #2733863
01/17/20 11:59 AM
01/17/20 11:59 AM
central il.
S
second 70 Offline
top fuel
second 70  Offline
top fuel
S

central il.

I don't know if I missed it but I didn't see if you were using a mechanical or electric pump really doesn't matter but it sure sounds like the fuel pressure is too high and blowing past the seats in the carb.

Re: Motor flooding when not running [Re: 1DGEMAN] #2733870
01/17/20 12:29 PM
01/17/20 12:29 PM
State of confusion
T
Thumperdart Offline
I Live Here
Thumperdart  Offline
I Live Here
T

State of confusion
Critical......I see many people running mechanical pumps w/out a regulator stating that it doesn't matter but it sure the hell does. AND if the car lands on the crown/top of the eccentric, it will hold pressure unlike an electric pumping fuel till it bleeds off....

72 Dart 470 n/a BB stroker street car `THUMPER`...Check me out on FB Dominic Thumper for videos and lots of carb pics......760-900-3895.....
Re: Motor flooding when not running [Re: Thumperdart] #2733921
01/17/20 02:22 PM
01/17/20 02:22 PM
VA
D
dragon slayer Offline
pro stock
dragon slayer  Offline
pro stock
D

VA
I don't think that is true as the fully depressed lever compress the spring and creates the vacuum to draw in fuel. No pressure as the cam, lever hold diaphragm up. Plus, non of these mechanical pumps have perfect check valves, in fact usually there is a bleed hole in check valve button for anti-perc purposes. So pressure would bleed back to tank.

I am really confused about the non vented cap also. Unless I am missing something, must be a lot of folks with plugged tank vents and collapsed fuel tanks from the suction/vacuum pulling them inward.

I also think we need a lot more information on where fuel is specifically leaking out from to flood all the cylinders. If the pump overcame seat force and kept needle open the fuel should spill out the vents on the top? Is the top of the carb wet?

If a venture gasket was missing you could wind up with normal fuel level spilling out raw fuel into venture. Or if the bleeds were plugged causing a syphon action that would continue to leak fuel out venturi nozzle. It is even possible an accerator pump nozzle can drip from syphon effect if the closed design.

Having said all that, the fact that two different carbs do this, does lead you to believe something else is at issue unrelated to carb.

Re: Motor flooding when not running [Re: 6PAX] #2733945
01/17/20 04:03 PM
01/17/20 04:03 PM
central il.
S
second 70 Offline
top fuel
second 70  Offline
top fuel
S

central il.
If it was a pressure problem with the tank when you removed the line to the carb it would have sprayed gas everywhere. If it's heat soak it won't do it cold and normally will start after cooling off without cleaning the plugs. So I think the car fooled you and us into thinking it flooded when you parked it but I believe the pump pressure is too high and is flooding the car as you're trying to start it.

Mike

Re: Motor flooding when not running [Re: second 70] #2733960
01/17/20 05:22 PM
01/17/20 05:22 PM
Detroit area
6PAX Offline OP
master
6PAX  Offline OP
master

Detroit area
"I don't know if I missed it but I didn't see if you were using a mechanical or electric pump"

The fuel pump is a factory type mechanical pump.

"I also think we need a lot more information on where fuel is specifically leaking out from to flood all the cylinders. If the pump overcame seat force and kept needle open the fuel should spill out the vents on the top? Is the top of the carb wet?"

With the original carb, only the plugs were showing signs of excess gas, nothing pouring out of the carb itself.. When I put the 2nd carb on (which was another Edelbrock although lesser cfm), gas was pouring out the vents on top as well as the plugs flooding. I took that carb apart today and it was the same as the first, floats not stuck and set properly and the needles and seat were clean.

"If it was a pressure problem with the tank when you removed the line to the carb it would have sprayed gas everywhere."

Just a little dribble when I disconnected the fuel line from the carb.

"Having said all that, the fact that two different carbs do this, does lead you to believe something else is at issue unrelated to carb."

This is why I asked if a bad fuel pump could over pump fuel vs. the typical loss of fuel pressure.

Keep in mind, I have not changed anything on the car prior to this occurring, just parked it in the garage like normal. The fuel pump and carb. are the same ones that were on the car when I bought it a couple of years ago and I hadn't had any issues of this nature since I bought it.

Re: Motor flooding when not running [Re: 6PAX] #2733971
01/17/20 06:26 PM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
Change the pump
wave

Re: Motor flooding when not running [Re: 6PAX] #2733972
VA
D
dragon slayer Offline
pro stock
dragon slayer  Offline
pro stock
D

VA
Well FP can rise when the air dome diaphragm hardens and no longer acts as a damper. Now on compression of diaphragm via spring pressure you windup with a higher pressure since no deflection of the air dome. Whether it is so high to overcome needle pressure not sure but plausible.

EB do require a lower pressure then the orig carters. They use a smaller float and larger orifice which means less force available on the needle to hold back the greater force generated by the FP pressure when a larger orifice is used. Think Brake cylinder diameter. Same effect.

What seems confusing to me, is the bowls probably start out dry or at least low. Your only cranking at a slow rpm and at some point the car should start before the bowl is so high it overflows. So maybe some other issue preventing proper starting that is ultimately leading to a flooded engine too.

Re: Motor flooding when not running [Re: dragon slayer] #2733976
01/17/20 06:53 PM
01/17/20 06:53 PM
USA
540DUSTER Offline
mopar
540DUSTER  Offline
mopar

USA
so what is your fuel pressure? pretty easy to check

Re: Motor flooding when not running [Re: dragon slayer] #2733977
01/17/20 06:58 PM
01/17/20 06:58 PM
Phila. Pa.
Mattax Offline
top fuel
Mattax  Offline
top fuel

Phila. Pa.
I agree with Dragon Slayer's analysis.

It's very unlikely the pump is causing the problem if the pump was OK in previous uses.
Since its only 40*F and the engine is cold, seems unlikely vapor pressure would be the cause.
It's more likely that the needle and seats are not sealing, or the floats are not floating.

The simplest way to narrow this down is tee a pressure gage into the fuel line. Then you'll know where the problem is.

Re: Motor flooding when not running [Re: Mattax] #2733981
01/17/20 07:14 PM
01/17/20 07:14 PM
TN
1DGEMAN Offline
mopar
1DGEMAN  Offline
mopar

TN

The simplest way to narrow this down is tee a pressure gage into the fuel line. Then you'll know where the problem is.

This has been stated for days . Guess he does not want to check it.

Re: Motor flooding when not running [Re: 1DGEMAN] #2733991
01/17/20 08:06 PM
01/17/20 08:06 PM
Detroit area
6PAX Offline OP
master
6PAX  Offline OP
master

Detroit area
Originally Posted by 1DGEMAN

FYI, it's not that I don't want to check it but rather that I can't at the moment as I don't own a fuel pressure gauge. I wanted to rule out the carb being the problem first before buying a gauge to check the fuel pump pressure.

Re: Motor flooding when not running [Re: 1DGEMAN] #2733993
01/17/20 08:13 PM
01/17/20 08:13 PM
Phila. Pa.
Mattax Offline
top fuel
Mattax  Offline
top fuel

Phila. Pa.

True shruggy

Re: Motor flooding when not running [Re: 6PAX] #2734058
01/18/20 02:33 AM
01/18/20 02:33 AM
TN
1DGEMAN Offline
mopar
1DGEMAN  Offline
mopar

TN

FYI, it's not that I don't want to check it but rather that I can't at the moment as I don't own a fuel pressure gauge. I wanted to rule out the carb being the problem first before buying a gauge to check the fuel pump pressure.

You can buy combo gauge at HF for $13.00 How many days have you wasted?

Re: Motor flooding when not running [Re: 1DGEMAN] #2734091
01/18/20 09:57 AM
01/18/20 09:57 AM
Detroit area
6PAX Offline OP
master
6PAX  Offline OP
master

Detroit area

You can buy combo gauge at HF for $13.00 How many days have you wasted?

The only time I have wasted is reading your posts in this thread. If all you have to contribute is smart-azz remarks why do you bother to post at all?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3