03/17/09 09:35 PM
Spokane Washington
ScottSmith_Harms Offline
Mr Wizzard
ScottSmith_Harms  Offline
Mr Wizzard

Spokane Washington
Mike V.

Not including the NOS paint componants you have, do you have documents with actual factory part#s/formulas for 3 different shades or did you come up with the various shades by some other method?

Re: Grill and Shaker Bubble....Use Same Argent? [Re: mccannix] #256761
03/17/09 09:38 PM
03/17/09 09:38 PM
OR
A
AllTrim Plus Offline
AllTrim Plus  Offline
A

OR
Quote:

Same shaker scoop against the grill.
I'll let you form your own opinion..... I have mine...
After a brief time of the very first argent shaker scoops being hand painted at Fram, I am told they were sent 40 miles up the road for painting to N.A.P.,the same facility that manufactured and painted 70 Barracuda grills.

Hello Terry can you do another pic of that arrangemnt up close and at full mega pixel?

Re: Grill and Shaker Bubble....Use Same Argent? [Re: ScottSmith_Harms] #256762
03/17/09 10:00 PM
03/17/09 10:00 PM
OR
A
AllTrim Plus Offline
AllTrim Plus  Offline
A

OR
Light Textured Argent does not have a MIXING formula (that was/is available to the public or me), as it was/is factory packed paint. the part number is listed in most factory service manuals, and OE paint suppliers chip books...

Dk/med Textured Argent was/is a mixed formula and the part number is listed in most factory service manuals, and OE paint suppliers chip books... I have that original formula from the original MFG paint suppliers literature. This is what i have mixed/ currently mix/ and use, and used to sell.

Lt Non textured argent; does not have a MIXING formula (that was/is available to the public or me). It was a factory packed paint, the number is listed in most factory service manuals, and OE paint suppliers chip books...

History: the two textured colors i got back in 1986 (5 gallons of it from the OE MFG warehouse), and the dk formula after digging thru a bunch of mfg supplier formulas/ literature.

the can (qt) of NOS Light Non Textured Silver i didn't find/ get until mid 90's as it was gone off the shelfs before i found the light textured stuff and ther was non sitting around int he warehouse, it was found at an old paint jobber.

something that may or or may not be known? is this stuff was not a chrysler specifc paint, it was the beginng of the OE paint mfg's custom radiance color line, and there is supposed to be a chip chart of all the different colors that were available, but i have yet to find or see that..

Scott did any of that help you to confirm anything?

Mike

Last edited by AllTrim Plus; 03/17/09 10:04 PM.
Re: Grill and Shaker Bubble....Use Same Argent? [Re: AllTrim Plus] #256763
03/17/09 10:03 PM
03/17/09 10:03 PM
Spokane Washington
ScottSmith_Harms Offline
Mr Wizzard
ScottSmith_Harms  Offline
Mr Wizzard

Spokane Washington
No Mike, I was just curious that's all. Thanks for the nice explaination.

Re: Grill and Shaker Bubble....Use Same Argent? [Re: ScottSmith_Harms] #256764
03/17/09 10:16 PM
03/17/09 10:16 PM
OR
A
AllTrim Plus Offline
AllTrim Plus  Offline
A

OR
Scott, also, there are the chrysler factory codes used on blue prints and engineering documents (i don't own any of these but have seen/discussed them with several others who do), they are also in some other factory literature. these codes are then crossed back to the paint mfg codes for what the colors are more comonly known/ sold as.

arent most of the drawings out now on CD etc and or available from chrysler?

Last edited by AllTrim Plus; 03/17/09 11:15 PM.
Re: Grill and Shaker Bubble....Use Same Argent? [Re: AllTrim Plus] #256765
03/18/09 06:34 AM
03/18/09 06:34 AM
Medina, Ohio
HEMICUDA Offline
top fuel
HEMICUDA  Offline
top fuel

Medina, Ohio
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Here's another one. Both were stored above my garage out of direct sunlight all these years

Thx for posting Terry, it saves me the time to take the picture of my 70 survivor that hasn't seen the light of day since 72. And yes, my original bubble matches the grille.

Who was it that said they didn't match?

actually mike, it would be to the interest of this debate if you would take a FULL picture of yours as I seem to remember from the last debate on this, everyone thought it looked as though it was light.

guess i cant dispute whats in the pictures presented so far, but until i see one in person and compare to original formulas, pigmnets and colors i am still of the Lt argent/ dk/med grille believers.

also, are those early or late cars shown?

Mike, you know as well as I, spraying textured argent can change a shade by simply a pressure change in the air supply from the gun or temperatures it’s being sprayed at and the amount of coats applied. I have a rack set up to spray 10 grilles and buckets at the same time to insure a perfect match. We’ve painted over 500 Cuda grilles and we don’t mix batches of grilles to buckets since there could be a subtle change in the shade from batch to batch. When you have to contend with temperatures, pressures, spray patterns and other variables, it’s impossible to guarantee a perfect match unless they are sprayed all together. There isn’t a specific shade of textured argent that is the only correct one, the shades changed even back in the day. Not a huge difference, but a noticeable one. So to say, “if it’s not this exact shade it’s wrong” is foolish with the inherent factors involve when spraying this type of paint.

It’s obvious that bubbles were intended to be the same shade as the grille, whether it always turned out that way? Of course not. It's just not that important to me to try to convince you of anything when your mind is made up. With absolute facts, you still want to debate and I’m not going there this time.

Lastly, as you have said in the past and you’re absolutely right, rattle can textured argent paints aren’t remotely close to factory paint. It works fine for the average guy restoring their car with acceptable results, however, never should it be used for any OE type work.

Last edited by HEMICUDA; 03/19/09 01:20 AM.
Re: Grill and Shaker Bubble....Use Same Argent? [Re: HEMICUDA] #256766
03/18/09 12:41 PM
03/18/09 12:41 PM
NW Ohio
6pkaar Offline OP
super stock
6pkaar  Offline OP
super stock

NW Ohio

rattle can textured argent paints aren’t remotely close to factory paint. It works fine for the average guy restoring their car with acceptable results, however, never should it be used for any OE type work.

OK, I'm the "average guy", but strive for OE type work. Nobody out there in the "Mopar family" is wiling to share their argent with "little brother". I've got a good grill and bubble....all I need is the paint, and I'm capable of loading up my gun and giving the pieces a fresh coat of argent....if I could get it! I HATE rattle cans for anything (other than WD40!). I fill up the gun anytime anything needs paint, but when it comes to argent the "average guy" doesn't have a choice. Hey Mike, when's BE&A going to start offering their argent by the quart?

Re: Grill and Shaker Bubble....Use Same Argent? [Re: HEMICUDA] #256767
03/18/09 01:26 PM
03/18/09 01:26 PM
OR
A
AllTrim Plus Offline
AllTrim Plus  Offline
A

OR
Quote:

It's just not that important to me to try to convince you of anything when your mind is made up. With absolute facts, you still want to debate and I’m not going there this time.

actually mike its not about convincing me of changing my mind, it is for the side by side comparison to continue to document the differences/similarites and everyones knowledge!

Although, some how, when i left off with this last night i kinda knew how you would respond....

so let me print a quote from an email i rec'd privately regarding your shaker after you posted a sliver of it in the last debate on this:

"You are right about the Mike Ross scoop.... definately light"...

so i am not the only one thinking that...

However, since you think you and your car are above it, I have no problem not discussing it with you, and we'll let it go at that, as like you with me, its just not that important to me that you know all you can know (or think you do), about the formulas and how they were sprayed. (yes that is a dig).

BTW, this is the first time in 20 plus years, that i have ever seen any pictures side by side of original parts from those who have said the scoops were the same color as the grilles.

So until now, yes my mind was made up. although i have yet to see any pieces in person that used the same pigments, or be able to dissect the pigments (something i doubt you have done) to determine the origin of their shade its just another hazy piece of the puzzle to me.

Regards

Mike

Last edited by AllTrim Plus; 03/18/09 01:38 PM.
Re: Grill and Shaker Bubble....Use Same Argent? [Re: 6pkaar] #256768
03/18/09 01:34 PM
03/18/09 01:34 PM
OR
A
AllTrim Plus Offline
AllTrim Plus  Offline
A

OR
Quote:

rattle can textured argent paints aren’t remotely close to factory paint. It works fine for the average guy restoring their car with acceptable results, however, never should it be used for any OE type work.

OK, I'm the "average guy", but strive for OE type work. Nobody out there in the "Mopar family" is wiling to share their argent with "little brother". I've got a good grill and bubble....all I need is the paint, and I'm capable of loading up my gun and giving the pieces a fresh coat of argent....if I could get it! I HATE rattle cans for anything (other than WD40!). I fill up the gun anytime anything needs paint, but when it comes to argent the "average guy" doesn't have a choice. Hey Mike, when's BE&A going to start offering their argent by the quart?

6pakaar,

you have choices: everyone of us that has correct or what claims to be correct offers a spray service for the product...

you can either use them or not, or go do all the reasearch and expense that we have all gone thru to come up with them and do your own, or not.

its not about holding it hostage, its about availabilty, costs of the product if it were to be sold, and on and on.

Mike

Last edited by AllTrim Plus; 03/18/09 01:36 PM.
Re: Grill and Shaker Bubble....Use Same Argent? [Re: AllTrim Plus] #256769
03/18/09 01:42 PM
03/18/09 01:42 PM
NW Ohio
6pkaar Offline OP
super stock
6pkaar  Offline OP
super stock

NW Ohio
OK, I think I'll paint my '70 bubble black. That way EVERYBODY knows it's the wrong color! I really didn't mean for this to get into an argument, and apologize for that. I think my next post will be "What is the right wingnut for an A12?". So at this point I'm calling it a tie and saying either would be deemed correct. What do the OE Gold cars have? Any judges want to toss their opinion into the ring?

Re: Grill and Shaker Bubble....Use Same Argent? [Re: 6pkaar] #256770
03/18/09 01:48 PM
03/18/09 01:48 PM
OR
A
AllTrim Plus Offline
AllTrim Plus  Offline
A

OR
Quote:

OK, I think I'll paint my '70 bubble black. That way EVERYBODY knows it's the wrong color! I really didn't mean for this to get into an argument, and apologize for that. I think my next post will be "What is the right wingnut for an A12?". So at this point I'm calling it a tie and saying either would be deemed correct. What do the OE Gold cars have? Any judges want to toss their opinion into the ring?

black would also be correct (my understanding is that after may 1970 they came this way also), but then what black, textured or not, and shade etc...

I dont do the black ones. I dont have enough of what i belive to be the original formula left...

here is a pic of an NOS part

5102269-CBnosshaker16.JPG (461 downloads)
Re: Grill and Shaker Bubble....Use Same Argent? [Re: AllTrim Plus] #256771
03/18/09 02:09 PM
03/18/09 02:09 PM
Medina, Ohio
HEMICUDA Offline
top fuel
HEMICUDA  Offline
top fuel

Medina, Ohio
Quote:

Quote:

It's just not that important to me to try to convince you of anything when your mind is made up. With absolute facts, you still want to debate and I’m not going there this time.

actually mike its not about convincing me of changing my mind, it is for the side by side comparison to continue to document the differences/similarites and everyones knowledge!

Although, some how, when i left off with this last night i kinda knew how you would respond....

so let me print a quote from an email i rec'd privately regarding your shaker after you posted a sliver of it in the last debate on this:

"You are right about the Mike Ross scoop.... definately light"...

so i am not the only one thinking that...

However, since you think you and your car are above it, I have no problem not discussing it with you, and we'll let it go at that, as like you with me, its just not that important to me that you know all you can know (or think you do), about the formulas and how they were sprayed. (yes that is a dig).

BTW, this is the first time in 20 plus years, that i have ever seen any pictures side by side of original parts from those who have said the scoops were the same color as the grilles.

So until now, yes my mind was made up. although i have yet to see any pieces in person that used the same pigments, or be able to dissect the pigments (something i doubt you have done) to determine the origin of their shade its just another hazy piece of the puzzle to me.

Regards

Mike

OK

Re: Grill and Shaker Bubble....Use Same Argent? [Re: AllTrim Plus] #256772
03/18/09 02:34 PM
03/18/09 02:34 PM
NW Ohio
6pkaar Offline OP
super stock
6pkaar  Offline OP
super stock

NW Ohio
Quote:

black would also be correct (my understanding is that after may 1970 they came this way also)

FOR SALE: One shaker set up for '70 'Cuda UNPAINTED......I'm going with a FLAT hood!!! (just kidding)

Re: Grill and Shaker Bubble....Use Same Argent? [Re: mccannix] #256773
03/18/09 04:56 PM
03/18/09 04:56 PM
Shopping @ HoBo Fright
340SIX Offline
Doc Flappergas's Evil Twin
340SIX  Offline
Doc Flappergas's Evil Twin

Shopping @ HoBo Fright
Quote:

Here's another one. Both were stored above my garage out of direct sunlight all these years

I realy hate to post,but I have a QUESTION
For one the picture Macannix posted looks 99% of what the 71 challenger grille I had till 2004 had on it.
Car was a 318 car with wide hood trim.
Heres the Queston
You said
Quote:

something that may or or may not be known? is this stuff was not a chrysler specifc paint, it was the beginng of the OE paint mfg's custom radiance color line, and there is supposed to be a chip chart of all the different colors that were available, but i have yet to find or see that..

When you said OE paint mfg's custom radiance color line Are you talking about the PPG Radiance Candy paint base paint that went on before the top coat and clear? That was used in the early-middle 80's before the Radiance 2 came out?
A friend of mine is a pack rat but moved 3 months ago and had to toss stuff out. But He may still have that color chip book. If that is what you are saying I will ask him if he still has it

Re: Grill and Shaker Bubble....Use Same Argent? [Re: 340SIX] #256774
03/18/09 05:01 PM
03/18/09 05:01 PM
OR
A
AllTrim Plus Offline
AllTrim Plus  Offline
A

OR
Quote:

Quote:

I realy hate to post,but I have a QUESTION
For one the picture Macannix posted looks 99% of what the 71 challenger grille I had till 2004 Car also was a 318 car with wide hood trim.
Heres the Queston
You said
Quote:

When you said OE paint mfg's custom radiance color line Are you talking about the PPG Radiance Candy paint base paint that went on before the top coat and clear? That was used in the early-middle 80's before the Radiance 2 came out?
A friend of mine is a pack rat but moved 3 months ago and had to toss stuff out. But He may still have that color chip book. If that is what you are saying I will ask him if he still has it

i have not follwed the radiance line development, i only know whats written in the literature i have surrounding these colors which are lacquer based. I dont know what the others are or if its the same line or bases.

it cant hurt to get the book and see if its the one that has the numbers that are listed in the reference above.

please post back if you get it.

Mike

Re: Grill and Shaker Bubble....Use Same Argent? [Re: AllTrim Plus] #256775
03/19/09 01:17 AM
03/19/09 01:17 AM
Medina, Ohio
HEMICUDA Offline
top fuel
HEMICUDA  Offline
top fuel

Medina, Ohio
When dealing with procedures of the past, it helps to understand the technology used during a specified era and the changes that result over time. We discuss the condition and appearance of these NOS and original items today but they do not have the same fundamental features that they possessed some 40 years ago. Rather than debate the characteristics of these components, it is important to understand how these parts started out and the changes that may have taken place over time.

The grill and the shaker bubble were painted with the same engineered paint color. The plants would have ordered the paint in bulk but variations would have occurred due to slight changes between the batches. Next you must consider the bonding surfaces and material differences that existed between the two manufactured parts. The grill had the textured paint sprayed directly over the plastic composite, molded surface. The plastic would have exhibited aging color changes, that over time, would have altered the hue of silver paint. The same logic for the shaker scoop. It was a fiberglass composite material BUT used red oxide primer , on most of the bubbles, as a basecoat BEFORE the metallic silver was applied. The darker red base coat could have altered the color cast of the argent silver paint. If some of the shaker bubbles had a greater amount of silver paint material applied, a difference would have resulted in the depth or density of the silver coating. You have two totally different surface materials, aging in a manner that could impact the appearance of the colors as time progressed. Don’t forget that the flake is a true metal material that also oxidized, at rate specific to it’s environmental surroundings. An original grill will be exposed to conditions different than those of the shaker bubble. The engine heat alone will bake and alter the silver paint finish of a bubble.

If you understand the specifics that affect the overall appearance of paint, it is easy to explain how these subtle color changes will occur.

Re: Grill and Shaker Bubble....Use Same Argent? [Re: HEMICUDA] #256776
03/19/09 07:06 AM
03/19/09 07:06 AM
Ontario, Canada
mccannix Offline
master
mccannix  Offline
master

Ontario, Canada
Mike
See, staying in school and sticking with chemistry and science has paid off for you.
I would agree 100% with the statements above as accounting for color variations.
The different paint mix batches say a lot for the different shades of argent found on NOS 70 Barracuda grills and headlite doors.
I know we're talking assembly line here, but NOS, over the counter items were still painted using the same formula in the same facility.
In the early 80's when Downer had most of the NOS E body parts locked up, I recall buying boxed NOS Barracuda grills and headlite bezels all the time at shows, through dealers, and in Hemmings.
We'd gather at Downers in NJ say for the Englishtown show, and he would pull out no less than 10 NOS boxed grills and h/light bezels. We would compare colors in the light trying to get a matched set so everyone had a close mix for their car they were to be installed in.

5103922-grillboxes.jpg (230 downloads)
Re: Grill and Shaker Bubble....Use Same Argent? [Re: mccannix] #256777
03/19/09 08:40 AM
03/19/09 08:40 AM
Iowa
burdar Offline
Owen's Dad
burdar  Offline
Owen's Dad

Iowa
Quote:

Don’t forget that the flake is a true metal material that also oxidized, at rate specific to it’s environmental surroundings.

That's interesting because I've noticed that origonal argent on the back tail panel of the 72-74 Challengers often rusts in a strange manner. The "high" spots always take on the orange rusty look leaving the low areas silver.

Re: Grill and Shaker Bubble....Use Same Argent? [Re: burdar] #256778
03/19/09 09:12 AM
03/19/09 09:12 AM
Northern Indiana
M
mr_belvedere Offline
super gas
mr_belvedere  Offline
super gas
M

Northern Indiana
Everyones bladder empty yet?

Re: Grill and Shaker Bubble....Use Same Argent? [Re: HEMICUDA] #256779
03/19/09 01:19 PM
03/19/09 01:19 PM
OR
A
AllTrim Plus Offline
AllTrim Plus  Offline
A

OR
Quote:

When dealing with procedures of the past, it helps to understand the technology used during a specified era and the changes that result over time. We discuss the condition and appearance of these NOS and original items today but they do not have the same fundamental features that they possessed some 40 years ago. Rather than debate the characteristics of these components, it is important to understand how these parts started out and the changes that may have taken place over time.

The grill and the shaker bubble were painted with the same engineered paint color. The plants would have ordered the paint in bulk but variations would have occurred due to slight changes between the batches. Next you must consider the bonding surfaces and material differences that existed between the two manufactured parts. The grill had the textured paint sprayed directly over the plastic composite, molded surface. The plastic would have exhibited aging color changes, that over time, would have altered the hue of silver paint. The same logic for the shaker scoop. It was a fiberglass composite material BUT used red oxide primer , on most of the bubbles, as a basecoat BEFORE the metallic silver was applied. The darker red base coat could have altered the color cast of the argent silver paint. If some of the shaker bubbles had a greater amount of silver paint material applied, a difference would have resulted in the depth or density of the silver coating. You have two totally different surface materials, aging in a manner that could impact the appearance of the colors as time progressed. Don’t forget that the flake is a true metal material that also oxidized, at rate specific to it’s environmental surroundings. An original grill will be exposed to conditions different than those of the shaker bubble. The engine heat alone will bake and alter the silver paint finish of a bubble.

If you understand the specifics that affect the overall appearance of paint, it is easy to explain how these subtle color changes will occur.

Mike, cant disagree with you on that and dont.

regardless of all that, YOU need to be able to tell the difference between the two shades and the origin of what was what before it was sprayed, before all the effects you mention have taken place.

and until YOU have held in hand, looked in several different cans of REAL NOS Factory packed original formula unsprayed paint/ toner, etc, or mixed original formula dk/med using all original toners, etc, then spayed many different parts over 20 plus years, using the many different variables (that you mention), of the originals as a guide, YOU dont have all the knowledge YOU think YOU do.

so why not just post pics of your grille and bezels side by side to you shaker for everyone to see, not just me.

insert smiley of your choice here

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5