Fulton County, PA
C
CMcAllister Offline
Mr. Helpful
CMcAllister  Offline
Mr. Helpful
C

Fulton County, PA
A loose and/or spinning housing can split a factory fuel tank pretty easily and create a substantial fire. Nothing to fool with. Takes a pretty decent welder to make enough heat to get that stuff put together correctly.

A welded brace WILL bow the housing regardless being in a jig. The trick is to pull and hold the housing in the opposite direction the correct amount when welding it. Once cool, it will relax back to where it should be, if it was done correctly.

If the results don't match the theory, change the theory.
Re: I thought they knew how to weld [Re: CMcAllister] #2730634
01/06/20 08:51 PM
01/06/20 08:51 PM
Freeport IL USA
poorboy Offline
I Live Here
poorboy  Offline
I Live Here

Freeport IL USA
I am also continually amazed how many guys think their little 110 volt welder they got from Harbor Freight will do the job just fine.
I ran a welding shop for 25 years. if you came into my shop it was welded with a Mig welder. The old Lincoln tombstone sat back in the corner, under the bench.
I would say probably 80% of the work I did was repair broken poorly done welds. This is nothing new. Gene

Re: I thought they knew how to weld [Re: poorboy] #2730647
01/06/20 09:33 PM
01/06/20 09:33 PM
nowhere
S
Sniper Offline
master
Sniper  Offline
master
S

nowhere
This is why I don't weld, a mans got to know his limitations.

Re: I thought they knew how to weld [Re: Sniper] #2730650
01/06/20 09:42 PM
01/06/20 09:42 PM
Usa
A
A39Coronet Offline
super stock
A39Coronet  Offline
super stock
A

Usa
Originally Posted by Sniper
This is why I don't weld, a mans got to know his limitations.

Well said, welding and painting are things I only do when it's realistic for me, and usually only when both are hidden from sight or can't really fail.

I'm curious to see how they respond to OPs email.

Last edited by A39Coronet; 01/06/20 09:44 PM.

Follow my G3 Hemi Barracuda build on Youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSDAWczXoZw&list=PLTus_wQu8POADHEeJNJp2nr4NMHEyB9EK

2015 Tri-State Stock Super Stock Champion
2017 Monster Mopar Pro Winner
2018 Monster Mopar No Box Winner
Re: I thought they knew how to weld [Re: A39Coronet] #2730675
01/06/20 11:25 PM
01/06/20 11:25 PM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
I think the thread makes sense in terms of how bad the quality was for a shop that should do better.

But it doesn't mean someone couldn't do a good job on them at their home, even if they're not an expert welder. I think especially back in the day, more often then not people did this in their garage or driveway without the perches falling off some time later, and without ever seeing any effect of a warped housing.

It's not that hard if you have the right settings and prep. That makes what this shop put out there even more egregious.

Re: I thought they knew how to weld [Re: Exit1965] #2730678
01/06/20 11:32 PM
01/06/20 11:32 PM
West Plains, MO
DrCharles Offline OP
master
DrCharles  Offline OP
master

West Plains, MO
Originally Posted by Exit1965
I think the thread makes sense in terms of how bad the quality was for a shop that should do better.

But it doesn't mean someone couldn't do a good job on them at their home, even if they're not an expert welder. I think especially back in the day, more often then not people did this in their garage or driveway without the perches falling off some time later, and without ever seeing any effect of a warped housing.

It's not that hard if you have the right settings and prep. That makes what this shop put out there even more egregious.

Thank you... that is exactly the point I was trying to make smile
The local shop will be doing it tomorrow. As someone already mentioned, welding and painting are best left to others. Definitely in my case.

Incidentally, I asked Cass (Dr. Diff) about this mess and he said, "I would break the other spring perch off and weld new ones on. You won't warp the tubes".
I figure he knows what he's talking about up

Re: I thought they knew how to weld [Re: A39Coronet] #2730683
01/06/20 11:46 PM
01/06/20 11:46 PM
Polson, MT
DoctorDiff Offline
master
DoctorDiff  Offline
master

Polson, MT
My friend tore the spring perches off his '85 W-150 while doing a burn out. The pinion spun straight up and separated the driveshaft at the slip joint. The OEM welds did not penetrate the tubes. I'm surprised it didn't happen years earlier.

Re: I thought they knew how to weld [Re: DoctorDiff] #2730756
01/07/20 11:31 AM
01/07/20 11:31 AM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
You guys are missing the lesson here.

NOBODY can defend these welds.

Even a good looking weld can be problematic.

Obviously in this case as already understood by many a good welder has to balance a fine line between warpage and proper penetration.

Nobody has yet mentioned the fact there was zero weld joint prep, a 45Deg chamfer?

Being a minimal l trained welder does not qualify one to inspect welds definitively, especially ones that they did not weld themselves.

But this is were the wheels come off (pun intended):

In most cases in regular use, nobody needs to spend much time inspecting OEM welds.

This was a weld that is effectively non redundant and risks possible catastrophic outcome in failure.

Our uses are not "regular", our modifications are not OEM tested or designed, therefore anything "we" weld should be suspect, forever.

The OP's welds looked like crap from day one.

They did not wrap around the top of the perch, the highest stressed welded area.

Nobody can convince me the entire welded perch weld failed the second the u bolt was removed.

Most likely it failed slowly over time.

Any weld exposed to the elements that is incrementally failing often shows warning signs, visible cracks, rust stains, etc.

The mistake here is these signs were not spotted.

Why is for the OP (or victim?) to address.

I do my own welds, and I check every one, forever.

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: I thought they knew how to weld [Re: DoctorDiff] #2730757
01/07/20 11:33 AM
01/07/20 11:33 AM
USA
K
Kippy Offline
Kippy  Offline
K

USA
Originally Posted by DoctorDiff
My friend tore the spring perches off his '85 W-150 while doing a burn out. The pinion spun straight up and separated the driveshaft at the slip joint. The OEM welds did not penetrate the tubes. I'm surprised it didn't happen years earlier.

Whatever Dr D says concerning anything automotive is gospel for me. A real gentleman.
He helped me when everyone couldn't
The weld as posted if you notice did not penetrate the edges of the perch. That edge should not be visible as the weld should have penetrated it.
A common mistake of beginers is not "catching" what your welding. In the case of theses perches in addition to being way to cold which results in no penetration, whoever welded theses perches just played down a bead next to the perch. He had almost no weld on the perch which shows me he wasn't watching what he was doing.
Ive told so many guys to catch both parts. Even if the person who welded this was inexperienced if he or she had the amperage turned up and caught the perches, the weld most likely would have held.
Anything welded on any vehicle driven on roadways has to be properly done, this thread is a perfect example of this.
While im no Mopar expert, I am a journeyman union Boilermaker or was as im retired now

Re: I thought they knew how to weld [Re: Kippy] #2731069
01/08/20 12:38 PM
01/08/20 12:38 PM
West Plains, MO
DrCharles Offline OP
master
DrCharles  Offline OP
master

West Plains, MO
The plot thickens...

I heard back from the original shop.

I have looked up your invoice to see what all work we did for you. The invoice and paperwork does not show anything about us installing perches on the rear end. We only removed your old perches.
I'm not sure who welded the perches on your housing but we have no record of doing it.
I have attached all paperwork including the note you sent with the housing about what you needed done. Please see the attachments!

I have the same invoices, having saved every receipt for 22 years. Nothing showing any welding/moving perches, and it only makes sense that if the housing were being narrowed, back-braced, ends cut off and rewelded for alignment, that I'd have had them do the perches then! Very strange work

Anyhow the local fab shop removed both, cleaned them up and re-welded them (securely) and I hung it back under the Dart. Next week the chunk will return and I'll reinstall the axles. Hopefully everything will just slide in scope

Re: I thought they knew how to weld [Re: DrCharles] #2731084
01/08/20 01:57 PM
01/08/20 01:57 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
Originally Posted by DrCharles
The plot thickens...

I heard back from the original shop.

I have looked up your invoice to see what all work we did for you. The invoice and paperwork does not show anything about us installing perches on the rear end. We only removed your old perches.
I'm not sure who welded the perches on your housing but we have no record of doing it.
I have attached all paperwork including the note you sent with the housing about what you needed done. Please see the attachments!

I have the same invoices, having saved every receipt for 22 years. Nothing showing any welding/moving perches, and it only makes sense that if the housing were being narrowed, back-braced, ends cut off and rewelded for alignment, that I'd have had them do the perches then! Very strange work

Anyhow the local fab shop removed both, cleaned them up and re-welded them (securely) and I hung it back under the Dart. Next week the chunk will return and I'll reinstall the axles. Hopefully everything will just slide in scope

IMO, a giveaway would be if any of the paperwork shows an specific (vs say Narrow "X" inches) dim for the housing. If so they also would likely incldue a specific dim for the ctr to ctr perch location. If the Perch dim is not on an invoice that had a new housing dim, I would lean towards the feeling your original vendor did not reattach the perches, some one else did.
I have in the past welded up a housing, and left the perches off, in order to test fit and to get the perch exact dim/location and angle, and then welded them later, so two welders involved in your saga is possible as I see it. First vendor might need an internet "nevermind".

edir: on further reflection, ttis new info might explain a lot, for instance, why the perches were not prepped (45Deg chamber), that the weld was done on the car, over head, out of position, and restricted access, the weld area might have been contaminated by paint/rust, all items a pro welder would have resisted, and a novice would not.

Last edited by jcc; 01/08/20 02:35 PM.

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: I thought they knew how to weld [Re: DrCharles] #2731109
01/08/20 02:37 PM
01/08/20 02:37 PM
central texas
K
krautrock Offline
top fuel
krautrock  Offline
top fuel
K

central texas
post pics of the new welds when you get it back..

Re: I thought they knew how to weld [Re: krautrock] #2731130
01/08/20 03:30 PM
01/08/20 03:30 PM
Tulsa OK
Bad340fish Offline
master
Bad340fish  Offline
master

Tulsa OK
My factory weld broke like that. If you run something like Cal-Tracs or similar there is lots of extra load on the perches. The perches Calvert Racing sells are well priced and super strong, no worries once those are properly welded on. Even welded on right the stock perches can fold over on the back.

[Linked Image]

68 Barracuda Formula S 340
Re: I thought they knew how to weld [Re: Bad340fish] #2731203
01/08/20 07:04 PM
01/08/20 07:04 PM
Eagle, Idaho
Neil Offline
The Doctor is in.
Neil  Offline
The Doctor is in.

Eagle, Idaho
If the "quality' of the welds on the back brace and housing ends look like the perches then there is your answer. Would not surprise me if they did screw up to not take ownership of it.

Re: I thought they knew how to weld [Re: Neil] #2731225
01/08/20 08:04 PM
01/08/20 08:04 PM
West Plains, MO
DrCharles Offline OP
master
DrCharles  Offline OP
master

West Plains, MO
That did occur to me also, but the housing ends do look properly welded. scope And so far they have not fallen off. whistling

Hard to tell with the back brace - it looks good except for the end tacks (that you noted in the pics), but it is definitely possible to have a nice looking bead just lying on the surface.
I'll have to see if it cracks or pops off with a few good launches. shruggy
drive

Anyhow, there's no way I would have told them to only "remove the perches"... how was I supposed to put the housing back under the car then? work

Although I'd have rather not spent the $$$ by forgetting the gear lube and ruining a brand new Dr. Diff center section, the silver lining is that I found the defective welds before anything spun and did ugly things. I had planned to install the traction bars at some later date after putting some miles on the car...

Re: I thought they knew how to weld [Re: DrCharles] #2731477
01/09/20 03:58 PM
01/09/20 03:58 PM
Almost Heaven
B
Bob Stinson Offline
super stock
Bob Stinson  Offline
super stock
B

Almost Heaven

Anyhow, there's no way I would have told them to only "remove the perches"... how was I supposed to put the housing back under the car then? work

Bolt it in unwelded, determine and set the pinion angle, then tack the housing to the perches. Remove housing and take to a bona-fide welder to finish welding the perches. shruggy

69 road runner A12 ex-racer
71 Duster w/ a 400

Shiny paint causes stress.
Re: I thought they knew how to weld [Re: Bob Stinson] #2731481
01/09/20 04:11 PM
01/09/20 04:11 PM
West Plains, MO
DrCharles Offline OP
master
DrCharles  Offline OP
master

West Plains, MO
Thanks, but I meant it to be clearly a rhetorical question. whistling
I already knew what my pinion angle was, and didn't want it changed, just the perches moved from stock B-body, to A-body with 3" spring relocation.

Re: I thought they knew how to weld [Re: DrCharles] #2731487
01/09/20 04:39 PM
01/09/20 04:39 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
Thanks, but I meant it to be clearly a rhetorical question. whistling
I already knew what my pinion angle was, and didn't want it changed, just the perches moved from stock B-body, to A-body with 3" spring relocation.

No experienced fab/weld shop would relocate the perches only based on the above info, and additionally, they would want it (angle in degrees and perch ctr to ctr dim and if any offset is desired) in writing, to eliminate potential call backs. The members previous reply on tack welding is the tried and true method.

Seems like the story is still missing some details, and since I'm newly on the OP's Ignore list, I don't have any issue with "pulling the curtain back". laugh2

So nobody quote me here. panic

Page 2 of 2 1 2