12/18/19 08:51 AM
12/18/19 08:51 AM

R
RWG75
Unregistered
RWG75
Unregistered
R

Had a parts car that came with a set of studded tires so I ran them for a few winters. They absolutely rocked in the snow and especially when the plow hadn't come through lately and it got packed down. Worse case scenario is you don't like them and have to spend another $15 to have them removed from the tire.

Re: Cons of running studs in full winter snow tires? [Re: wingman] #2725085
12/18/19 11:22 AM
12/18/19 11:22 AM
north of coder
moparx Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"
moparx  Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"

north of coder
Originally Posted by wingman
Originally Posted by 56_Royal_Lancer
Originally Posted by moparx
"...i have studded tires on just the front of my minivan, and it goes places some with 4wd would be afraid to try.
beer

Like down the cliff at Mike's Supermarket whistling
haha

only with "daisy duke" driving it. laugh2

and i challenge "pacman" and his rubicon to take the same "drive". biggrin
beer

Re: Cons of running studs in full winter snow tires? [Re: ruderunner] #2725256
12/18/19 11:48 PM
12/18/19 11:48 PM
N.E. OHIO, USA
A12 Offline OP
Too Many Posts
A12  Offline OP
Too Many Posts

N.E. OHIO, USA
Originally Posted by ruderunner
A12, look at it this way, you've lived in NEO for how long and never needed them before.

Good point RR up

Mike

Re: Cons of running studs in full winter snow tires? [Re: not_a_charger] #2725267
12/19/19 12:24 AM
12/19/19 12:24 AM
N.E. OHIO, USA
A12 Offline OP
Too Many Posts
A12  Offline OP
Too Many Posts

N.E. OHIO, USA
Originally Posted by not_a_charger
Mike, we live near each other, and I've run both studded and non-studded snows. With the amount of snow we get, I didn't think that studs were beneficial. If lived up north (MN, WI, Dakotas, MT, etc...), I am sure the benefits would be much greater. A good quality set of snow tires by themselves should be plenty sufficient for what we typically deal with. The snows on my wife's Subaru (Michelin Ice-X), and my daughter's Civic (Bridgestone Blizzak), have been fantastic. My $.02.

Mike very, very good points also. I've had 4 full on snow tires on every car I've owned since 1975 that I drove in the winter, from a rear drive 1972 BMW 02 when Continental came out with a performance full snow tire the Conti "Contact" to my wife's current awd GLK. Most have been front wheel drive so even with a good set of all season tires you can get around here with them. The car I want them for is a rear wheel drive but with traction control and was giving thought to trying studs but with everyone's experiences I think I'm going to go without studs. I currently have two cars with 4 General Artic's, one with 4 Dunlop Winter Sports, one with 4 Winterforce, and one with 4 Blizzak Ws 80's. Not just for the winter go forward traction but for the braking for when someone slides through a stop sign or through an intersection in front of you. Some countries mandate full winter snow tires and not for the forward traction but so everyone poses less of a danger for the other drivers on the road by have the best stopping and not to get stuck and cause a traffic jam or lose control and injure someone else. That law will never happen here so 4 snow tires becomes a personal self defense option for some smart drivers. The people that always say they never needed or drive with 4 snow tires (or even two) are the ones I put them on for and watch out for wink As some know I've ridden dirt bikes a lot and I would never ride with all season tires in the mud or even dirt I always wanted the best tire for the conditions and even installed sheet metal screws and actual car studs but only for ice or icy conditions. But as noted they are really bad on a clear, dry road on two wheels at least (and awesome on icy trails and the local iced over river that leads out to Lake Erie grin) Thanks for all of the replies and experiences up

Mike

Re: Cons of running studs in full winter snow tires? [Re: A12] #2726990
12/26/19 09:36 AM
12/26/19 09:36 AM
Florida STAYcation
dIc dOc Deity ! Offline
The village idiot's idiot
dIc dOc Deity !  Offline

Florida STAYcation
LOVED studded snows up in Meeeeeeechigan when they were legal but they were made ILLEGAL because they tore up the roads too much.

The last three winters I spent up in that “noise” I had specific SOFT COMPOUND snow tires on my stick shift carrotvan ....

I could PLOW THROUGH SOME STUFF that would blow your mind ! eek

Re: Cons of running studs in full winter snow tires? [Re: dIc dOc Deity !] #2727280
12/27/19 08:19 AM
12/27/19 08:19 AM
Newfoundland
C
codfish Offline
master
codfish  Offline
master
C

Newfoundland
If you have ice, studs are nice.

Just have snow, then I'd say no.

50 years living and driving in the snowiest and icy-ist place in North America, I think I can speak confidently on the subject.

Studs rock on icy roads, and to a certain point on HARD packed snow. "Regular" snowy conditions I see no real benefits. A little more road noise, but whatever. NEVER lost a stud. Check em if you have them installed. If any are sticking out a noticeable amount more than the others, try to push then in with needle nose pliers. Can't push it in? Put it out. One missing won't make a difference. ( I have studded MANY tires while working in a garage. Sucky job ). Road damage? Jury's out on that.

Codfish

Re: Cons of running studs in full winter snow tires? [Re: codfish] #2727290
12/27/19 09:23 AM
12/27/19 09:23 AM
Florida STAYcation
dIc dOc Deity ! Offline
dIc dOc Deity !  Offline

Florida STAYcation
Originally Posted by codfish

50 years living and driving in the snowiest and icy-ist place in North America, I think I can speak confidently on the subject.

Studs rock on icy roads, and to a certain point on HARD packed snow. "Regular" snowy conditions I see no real benefits. A little more road noise, but whatever. NEVER lost a stud. Check em if you have them installed. If any are sticking out a noticeable amount more than the others, try to push then in with needle nose pliers. Can't push it in? Put it out. One missing won't make a difference. ( I have studded MANY tires while working in a garage. Sucky job ). Road damage? Jury's out on that.

Codfish

Well ODDfish ... a rhyming apimp from North of the Border xmaseek

IF you ever had roads in CanuckAda up by the North Pole where the snow ever melted ... you could SEE the damage studs do to the roads !

Re: Cons of running studs in full winter snow tires? [Re: dIc dOc Deity !] #2731341
01/09/20 09:22 AM
01/09/20 09:22 AM
Newfoundland
C
codfish Offline
master
codfish  Offline
master
C

Newfoundland
Originally Posted by Doc Fiberglass

Codfish

IF you ever had roads in CanuckAda up by the North Pole where the snow ever melted ... you could SEE the damage studs do to the roads !

Please describe said damage.

codfish

Re: Cons of running studs in full winter snow tires? [Re: codfish] #2731817
01/10/20 03:20 PM
01/10/20 03:20 PM
Kalispell Mt.
H
HotRodDave Offline
I Live Here
HotRodDave  Offline
I Live Here
H

Kalispell Mt.
I hate the noise they make, sounds like the wheel bearings are all going bad and once the tip of the stud is worn down they aren't any better than typical all season tires. I much prefer a blizzak or x-ice type of studdless snow tire, they seem to work better because the tread compund is softer so it stays flexible in the cold to grip any imperfection in the surface, they are siped more because they don't need a solid lug to hold a stud witch gives them better grip also. The only issue I have with them and it sounds like you won't have this issue is that they wear out very fast in the summer butt if you swap them out like I do as soon as it starts to warm up they will last for years.

I am not causing global warming, I am just trying to hold off a impending Ice Age!

Re: Cons of running studs in full winter snow tires? [Re: codfish] #2731840
01/10/20 03:55 PM
01/10/20 03:55 PM
Florida STAYcation
dIc dOc Deity ! Offline
dIc dOc Deity !  Offline

Florida STAYcation
Originally Posted by Doc Fiberglass

Codfish

Please describe said damage.

codfish

Sorry I missed this ... talk to MDOT .... Michigan... and ask them. Studded tires are banned and you’ll be ticketed if you run them.

From what I know the carbide tips of the studs TEAR UP the pavement

Re: Cons of running studs in full winter snow tires? [Re: dIc dOc Deity !] #2732094
01/11/20 11:20 AM
01/11/20 11:20 AM
north of coder
moparx Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"
moparx  Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"

north of coder
they DO make really cool sparks when doing a burnout ! drive
beer

Re: Cons of running studs in full winter snow tires? [Re: moparx] #2735197
01/21/20 09:44 AM
01/21/20 09:44 AM
Manitoba, Canada
DaytonaTurbo Offline
Too Many Posts
DaytonaTurbo  Offline
Too Many Posts

Manitoba, Canada
The studs are good on ice. Here in MB we get a lot of wind and when the temperature fluctuates we get polished ice on the highways. The studs don't really any difference just on snow. Nokian makes a tire now with a composite stud, I would love to give those a try.

Page 2 of 2 1 2